The Pro Hillary Thread

ehBeth

Mon 9 May, 2016 10:19 am
@ehBeth,
I'd take Castro or Gabbard from that list, but I think there were others I liked better from the last time I looked at one of these lists.
0 Replies

maporsche

Mon 9 May, 2016 10:22 am
@ehBeth,
The 9 that the article mentions are:

Bernie Sanders
Elizabeth Warren
Julian Castro
Cory Booker
Sherrod Brown
Tim Kaine
Tom Perez
Al Franken
Tulsi Gabbard

After reading the article, I'm not sure who I'd like to see. I know I don't want Sanders or Warren (Warren is too valuable where she is now).
ehBeth

Mon 9 May, 2016 10:31 am
http://www.democratcafe.com/top-12-hillary-running-mates-for-2016/3/

I think Hickenlooper would still be on my shortlist, if I was in charge of making the shortlist.
revelette2

Mon 9 May, 2016 10:38 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
After reading the article, I'm not sure who I'd like to see. I know I don't want Sanders or Warren (Warren is too valuable where she is now).

That is certainly true, it is almost as if they disappear if they become VP, it seems a thankless job, unless of course one was Cheney. Biden got attention when he said or did something a little silly which is a shame in his case as he is/was very qualified despite saying/doing silly things.

I would need to study the names being floated to make an opinion on who I would support.
0 Replies

revelette2

Mon 9 May, 2016 10:41 am
GOP operatives on the prowl for secret Clinton transcripts

So far they are coming up empty, from what I gather from the article, they are desperately trying to find them in order to keep Bernie supporters from voting for Hillary in the general.
ehBeth

Mon 9 May, 2016 10:43 am
from the Hillary's running mate thread

http://able2know.org/topic/273518-1

I found the link to the potentials list where I first read about Hickenlooper

http://www.towleroad.com/2015/11/hillary-clintons-running-mate/

Quote:
Governor John Hickenlooper: The Colorado governor is a man almost anyone would enjoy ‘hanging out with.’ He has shown amazing courage and leadership on gun issues. His state over the last year has been hit with massive wildfires, gun massacres and floods. The Governor received high marks on all of them. He also brings great strength to the ticket for those critical Rocky Mountain states.
revelette2

Mon 9 May, 2016 10:48 am
@ehBeth,
Thanks, I'll look into it later. I thought two women would be the way to go, but the article might be right. She might need a man to win over white male voters.
engineer

Mon 9 May, 2016 10:50 am
@revelette2,
I don't think putting a man on the undercard will convince a white male who is voting against Clinton due to gender although it might sway those who are starting to think Clinton is "playing the woman card".
0 Replies

maporsche

Mon 9 May, 2016 10:54 am
@ehBeth,
From your article, I found this bit sort of funny. It's too easy to think that a small sample of posters on A2K are representative of any larger societal group, but I think most of our A2K Sanders supporters would strongly disagree with this part of the article.

Quote:
Of course, many voters are already wary of Hillary’s hard-core liberal credentials. They believe she would be a good president overall, but only a small percentage of voters today are extreme liberals like Hillary. Most of them fall somewhere in the middle of the liberal/conservative political spectrum.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 9 May, 2016 11:04 am
David Mixner. Always an interesting read (maybe because I like some of his views ? Laughing )

http://www.towleroad.com/2016/01/bill-clinton/

Quote:
How Does Hillary Solve the Problem of Bill Clinton’s Past?

<snip>

Quote:
Just so we are clear, here’s what we will be reminded of over and over again in the November elections if Trump is the nominee:

— President Bill Clinton is only the second President in history to be impeached by Congress.
— While removal from office required 67 votes, 50 Senators voted him guilty of obstruction of justice and 45 votes found him guilty of perjury.
— President Clinton was found guilty of civil contempt of federal court and fined $90,000.
— His license to practice law in Arkansas was suspended and he was also forbidden from practicing law before the Supreme Court of the United States.

You don’t need much of an imagination to conjure up a campaign attack ad from the information.

Today the former president is being sent out to campaign for Hillary as her main surrogate. However, the issue of Ms. Clinton’s defense of his second term behavior has not been brought up politically by any person until Trump. The Republicans will absolutely LOVE Trump hitting the issue head on. There will be, among rank and file Republicans, a collective yelling of the word ‘finally!” Expect Trump to dig deep into the speaking fees President Clinton collected while Ms. Clinton was Secretary of State. Even the appearance of impropriety will be used very effectively by Trump.

Quote:
Hillary Clinton is an amazing candidate. She should run on her own and her vision for the future. The former President campaigning prominently in her campaign will distract from her abilities and talents. She is running as “Hillary” and should not allow this election to become about “The Clintons.” Voters love Hillary but are terribly fatigued by “The Clintons.”

Quote:
There is a role for our problem boy Bill. Put him to work not through the campaign but through the Democratic National Committee. Get him out in those battleground states on behalf of the party — registering voters, raising money for the state Democratic parties, helping local candidates and in the process helping his wife’s campaign. He would be terrific in that role.

You can shout how unfair it is for this issue to be raised. You can shoot the messengers who bring it up. But living in denial or wishful thinking will not change the facts on the President’s past or the political realities of 2016. President Clinton should be the first to realize that he should let Hillary be Hillary. We need him in 2016 but not as her chief surrogate.

0 Replies

revelette2

Mon 9 May, 2016 11:36 am
The Clintons need to remind people that the right wingers made a career out of making up false stories and paying people to lie about it.

David Brock, the reformed conservative noise-maker, on how the Right has sabotaged journalism, democracy, and truth.

0 Replies

revelette2

Mon 9 May, 2016 11:43 am
@ehBeth,
I looked up Hickenlooper, at first he said it ain't gonna happen, but now it is looking like he is leaving the door open.

Hickenlooper won’t commit to four-year term, leaves door open for higher post
ossobuco

Mon 9 May, 2016 11:49 am
@revelette2,
I like Gabbard and I like Hickenlooper; interesting about his interest in higher post. I think I'd rather have him as VP, should anything happen to Hillary Clinton in the presidency.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 9 May, 2016 11:53 am
@revelette2,
One of the things I liked lately was

Quote:
Bernie Sanders is facing calls to exit the Democratic primary for president, but Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper said such pressure is unwarranted.

Hickenlooper, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter, said Sanders has “touched a nerve” this election year.

“I think that earns him the right to go all the way to the end if he wants,” Hickenlooper said in an interview late last week. “I think he’s earned the right to define his entire campaign.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/thespot/2016/05/03/hickenlooper-bernie-sanders-drop-out/125776/
Olivier5

Tue 10 May, 2016 04:21 am
@ehBeth,
Excellent point.
0 Replies

snood

Sun 22 May, 2016 06:32 pm
This is like a definitive article for the Pro Hillary Thread. Written by Richard Patterson, it lays out better than I've seen to date 'Why Hillary Clinton' should be president. It doesn't gloss over her problems with reconciling her wall street speech making or her emails or other negatives, but it makes a compelling case why she is better than Trump...or Bernie Sanders for the job. For those of you who still claim some open-mindedness - it's just a tad longish but please read it.

Why Hillary Clinton

short excerpt:
During their primary contest, Bernie Sanders has cited Iraq as proof that his judgment is superior, and that experience alone is not enough. But the latter truism is no substitute for an ongoing absorption in the complications of a complex world. That was never a priority for Sanders and, when it comes to picking a president, this matters. And being right on a single vote in 2002, however critical, is no guarantee of mastery of difficult issues in, say, 2018.

In any event, the alternative to Clinton in November is not Sanders, but the ignorant, xenophobic, chronically offensive, Putin-loving moron Donald Trump. She is as fit to be president as Trump is not. The gap is daunting — the wrong result would be dangerous to America and the world. But to win Clinton must address her own weaknesses as a candidate, reflected in uncomfortably high negatives, and rooted in difficulties which cannot be wished away.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-north-patterson/why-hillary-clinton_b_9829044.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 23 May, 2016 01:01 am
Setanta

Mon 23 May, 2016 01:22 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth's source wrote:
He also brings great strength to the ticket for those critical Rocky Mountain states.

This is important in a way that those who don't understand the electoral college might not realize. Each state receives a number of votes equal to their entire congressional delegation. So states which only send a single representative to the House still get three electoral college votes--such as Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas--because they, like all other states, have two senators. Only Maine and Nebraska allocate electoral votes on a proportional basis--the other 48 states allocate electoral votes on a winner take all basis. The map below shows which states Bush took in red in 2000. Texas, Ohio and Florida were the only populous states that voted for Bush. When the Supreme Court gave Bush Florida in the electoral college, he won the vote on that basis. Doing well in the western states would not only benefit Mrs. Clinton, it would deny Trump the opportunity to put together a winning electoral coalition such as Bush had in 2000. Doing well in the west would be good for Mrs. Clinton, and would help forestall a Trump victory in the electoral college, even if he loses the popular vote, which is how Bush won in 2000.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/19/ElectoralCollege2000.svg/349px-ElectoralCollege2000.svg.png
0 Replies

engineer

Mon 23 May, 2016 05:30 am
@edgarblythe,
Fact check on that video.

Blickers

Mon 23 May, 2016 10:39 am
@engineer,
Good link. I saw that video for a couple of minutes a couple of weeks ago and it was clear that she wasn't lying. She changed her position on the Federal government saying that gay marriage should be legalized, but stuck up for civil unions being recognized statewide at the time when the conservatives were screaming-as some still do-that the whole thing was sinful and should be made illegal. In fact, she stood up for civil unions when some conservatives were supporting Texas laws against "sodomy". She also said in 2006 that she was not against gay marriage, but it should be done on a state by state basis. Now ten years later the same conservatives who wanted "sodomy" illegal are trying to turn around and bash her for being inconsistent in her stand in support of Federal recognition of gay marriage. Unbelievable.
0 Replies