Rising fascism in the US

Lash

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2019 04:58 pm
@izzythepush,
Yes. Count your blessings. Your country’s news doesn’t seem to hinge on billionaires’s preferences.
Lash

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2019 05:13 pm
@izzythepush,
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/12/31/world/europe/france-macron-yellow-vests.amp.html

Looks quite like a battle between the haves and the have nots...

[Macron] was referring to some extremist rhetoric that has emerged *most recently* on the fringes of the Yellow Vest movement, which began as a citizen revolt over a rise in gasoline taxes, then spread quickly all over France as it encompassed general anger over economic inequality and a heavy fiscal burden.

In its *latest stages*, the protests have veered on the fringes into hate-filled rhetoric.

Mr. Macron’s tone on Monday was true to form — he has been accused of being didactic — and it was uncertain if his words would be enough to calm a country that is seeing some of the greatest expressions of popular anger in 50 years.

Mr. Macron said the anger “had come from far back,” suggesting that it had started well before the beginning of his presidency in 2017. Yet while a big tax burden has been a feature of French life for several decades, Mr. Macron himself has become a symbol of economic inequality for many of the protesters.
blatham

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2019 05:24 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
In America, the ‘news companies’ like to finish writing and editing their stories after interviewing billionaires to check their preferences on ‘news’ outcomes.
Lets just put that out in the open again so everyone can look at it.
Lash

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2019 05:46 pm
@blatham,
You used to seem like someone who was well-read, but you are tragically blind to bias by the Democrat profligates in power in my country.

Again, you aren’t even-handed enough to speak about American politics. Your bias handicaps you.

Two warring camps are corrupt.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2019 09:05 pm
@Lash,
It's a fight between democracy and fascism.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 10:09 am
@Lash,
You wrote
Quote:
In America, the ‘news companies’ like to finish writing and editing their stories after interviewing billionaires to check their preferences on ‘news’ outcomes.
I only quoted it and recommended that everyone take a good look at it.

In other words, I was acting as a message-multiplier for your own writing, quoting your own words exactly and fully.

The rationale for your protest escapes me.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 10:49 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Yes. Count your blessings. Your country’s news doesn’t seem to hinge on billionaires’s preferences.

There is a thing called the internet, through it you can access news organisations outside of America.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2019 05:09 pm
@blatham,
I protest because
1. You present yourself as someone who knows what he’s talking about, yet
2. You don’t
blatham

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2019 05:33 pm
@Lash,
Well that certainly clarifies everything.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2019 08:40 pm
@blatham,
How about a clarification for me. Her comeback went right over my head.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2019 06:04 am
https://www.axios.com/a-growing-majority-now-views-our-online-privacy-as-a-crisis-1552080369-94146f05-332d-465d-a136-4414f9cdf9ce.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=organic&utm_content=1100

Small shift in public opinions to online privacy mining

0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2019 10:50 am
We've got a taste of fascism, and some people seem to like it, and that's the scary thing.

As Olivier5 says, "It's a fight between democracy and fascism."

Trump's main antagonists are not the Democrats, it's the press and the Constitution itself, the two things that authoritarians rid themselves of as soon as possible.

It's not that the Democrats have been immune to authoritarianism. Wilson banned the press from speaking out against the war, and Roosevelt put Japanese-Americans in concentration camps. Both these examples illustrate shameful presidential transgressions committed in the name of security . I'm sure there are many more examples.
0 Replies