Rising fascism in the US

georgeob1

Sun 17 Feb, 2019 08:43 pm
@ehBeth,
"CR@P" and Right Wing, "RACIST FUCKERS". Interesting combination....
neptuneblue

Sun 17 Feb, 2019 08:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
There are very few news sources that I really trust.

You shouldn't trust them all. News media is meant to slant things in their own view. It is up to YOU, as the consumer, to discern the value as it pertains to your way of life and how you want things to go.

Some accuse the Fox network as being "state" tv, while other networks tilt their angle as well. It's ALL true, obtaining fact from fiction. OpEds accuse and deny, books written with scathing first hand knowledge.

Trump sucks, Hillary sucks, news media can't be trusted, the CIA, FBI, DOJ, NFL, AND apple pie can't be trusted. Democrats are bad, Republicans are bad, dogs and cats falling from the sky...

And here we are...
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 17 Feb, 2019 09:30 pm
@ehBeth,
I had not been following this but I just did some reading now. Alt-right boys, it seems. But also serving the interests of the fossil fuel producers. I'll keep watch on this and try to get a better sense of it.

Edit: I remember listening to an interview with Dick Armey when he was head of the Koch operation Freedom Works. He was next to incoherent simply as a consequence of his insertion of the phrase "grassroots" into every second sentence. Of course, the corrupt dipshit left his position after demanding and getting 8 million bucks. What a prick.

glitterbag

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 02:13 am
@georgeob1,
how lovely of you to boil it down to it's essence.
izzythepush

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 03:20 am
@blatham,
That's over here, not France.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 03:23 am
@Lash,
I'm showing how outside of France the yellow vest phenomenon has been hijacked by the far right, that's why you support them and denigrate peaceful anti fascists.

It's not a few bad eggs by any means.

The non yellow vested peaceful remainers haven't been arrested.

It's not a few bad eggs by any means.
Lash

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 04:11 am
@izzythepush,
The protests have definitely given ground to some people who are up to no good; I just take note how some people appear to take pleasure in the blurring of the reason the protests started. I wonder why they do that.
blatham

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 05:56 am
@Lash,
Quote:
I just take note how some people appear to take pleasure in the blurring of the reason the protests started.
You can, I presume, point to or quote somebody here doing this? Or perhaps to an instance in the NYT or the WP, etc where this was done?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 06:15 am
@Lash,
If - IF - you really would follow and would have followed the news from France, you should have noticed that anti-Semitic abuse and anti-police attacks by yellow vest demonstrators is done exactly the same "some people" now as they were when it started.

That's the reason why Finkielkraut, who had voiced support for the "yellow vest" movement before later criticising it, denounced the protests as "grotesque".
izzythepush

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 10:43 am
@Lash,
The reason the protest started was the price of fuel, caused by green legislation. We know what's going on this side of the pond, you could listen to Walter instead of your right wing sites.
Olivier5

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 10:54 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It's becoming downright disgusting, with death threats and all. Gillets jaunes = chemises noires.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 10:56 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
I had not been following this but I just did some reading now. Alt-right boys, it seems. But also serving the interests of the fossil fuel producers. I'll keep watch on this and try to get a better sense of it.

and those fossil fuel producing tools? right wing fuckers as well
0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 11:21 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

how lovely of you to boil it down to it's essence.

Thank you. I thought the quotes said a lot. Wink
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 11:33 am
@izzythepush,
I don’t know of any right wing sites. Maybe you can tell me the ones you’re reading?

I know it started as s protest to fuel costs and the growing gap between those who sit in gilded palaces and those who clean those palaces.
izzythepush

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 11:38 am
@Lash,
You should have a citation from someone who has to clean out those gilded palaces then, and some examples of said gilded palaces.

Or you could admit to being verbose in order to cover up your ignorance about the whole thing.

This reminds me off the bosses' strike Tony Blair had to deal with.

It's a bunch of right wing arseholes breaking the law because they're not happy with the result of the presidential election.
Lash

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 11:43 am
This news report doesn’t mention anti-semitism. It’s similar to the type of news we’re getting about the protests. You can try to paint CBS as right wing if you need to...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/yellow-vest-protesters-hand-ripped-apart-in-paris-in-13th-week-of-unrest-paris-france-2019-02-09/

Yellow vest protester's hand ripped apart in Paris in 13th week of unrest
UPDATED ON: FEBRUARY 9, 2019 / 12:13 PM / AP
A French yellow vest protester's hand was ripped apart Saturday during violent clashes in Paris as demonstrators tried to storm the French National Assembly in a 13th consecutive week of unrest. Police said the protester lost four fingers as police swooped in to stop protesters from breaching the parliament's exterior.
Police could not confirm French media reports that the demonstrator's hand was blown up by a grenade used to disperse unruly crowds.
As scuffles broke out in front of the National Assembly and French police responded with tear gas, paramedics huddled around the injured protester at the National Assembly gates, providing emergency treatment and stopping bystanders from getting too close.
Police used batons and fired tear gas in Paris to disperse demonstrators, some of whom threw debris at riot police hunkered down.
A car, motorbikes and multiple trash bins were set ablaze as the protest moved toward the city's Invalides monument, but France's Interior Ministry said this week's protest was significantly smaller than last week's.
APTOPIX France Protests
Riot police run past burning dustbins set on fire by yellow vest protesters in Paris, France, Saturday, Feb. 9, 2019.

Police said 17 demonstrators had been arrested as scuffles broke out near the Champs-Elysees Avenue and the National Assembly. The protest march is due to end up near the Eiffel Tower.
The yellow vest activists, who have brought hundreds of thousands onto the streets over the past three months, are now trying to achieve electoral success. The movement, however, is politically divided and has no appointed leader.
French President Emmanuel Macron -- the target of many demonstrators' anger -- seems to be clawing back support from the public as he tries to address the movement's anger with a national political debate on economic injustice. Recent polls show Macron's approval ratings are rising
izzythepush

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 11:48 am
@Lash,
This one does.

Quote:
French President Emmanuel Macron has condemned anti-Semitic abuse directed at a prominent intellectual by a group of "yellow vest" protesters in Paris.

Police stepped in to protect the philosopher Alain Finkielkraut after he was bombarded with insults and anti-Jewish taunts in the French capital.

President Macron said it was an "absolute negation" of what made France great and would not be tolerated.

Tens of thousands took part in anti-government protests on Saturday.

Prosecutors have now opened an investigation into the incident, and France's interior minister said on Sunday that a suspect alleged to be the "main perpetrator" had been identified by the authorities.

Police used tear gas to control crowds as the so-called "yellow vest" (gilets jaunes) demonstrators took to the streets for the 14th consecutive weekend across the country. About 5,000 turned out in Paris, officials said.

Officers in Paris intervened to form a barrier after a group of individuals involved in the march confronted Mr Finkielkraut and started verbally insulting him.

The 69-year-old Jewish academic told Le Parisien newspaper that he heard people shouting "dirty Zionist" and "throw yourself in the canal".

He told newspaper Journal du Dimanche he felt an "absolute hate" directed at him, and would have been afraid for his safety if the police were not there, although he stressed that not all of the protesters were aggressive.

Mr Finkielkraut, the son of Polish immigrants, has previously expressed sympathy for the protesters, but also voiced criticism of the movement.

He said that President Macron had spoken with him by telephone on Saturday to offer his support.

The incident comes after Interior Minister Christophe Castaner warned that anti-Semitism was "spreading like poison" in the country, with a series of anti-Jewish incidents reported in central Paris last weekend.

These included post boxes featuring a holocaust survivor's portrait being vandalised with swastikas.

Anti-Semitic offences 'up 10%' in Germany
Jewish groups have also been warning of a rise in the far-right promoting anti-Semitism and hatred of other minorities across Europe.

Crime data from Germany released last week revealed that anti-Semitic offences had increased by 10% over the last year - including a 60% rise in physical attacks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47268651<br />
Walter Hinteler

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 12:25 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

This news report doesn’t mention anti-semitism. It’s similar to the type of news we’re getting about the protests.
Quote:
UPDATED ON: FEBRUARY 9, 2019 / 12:13 PM / AP
We get the new here when it happens, not days later. (And the French sites and tv-stations reported live about it.)
Olivier5

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 12:39 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
There's been plenty other cases of antisemitism linked to the jaunes, by the way, and multitudinal death threats to Macron's ministers, journalists, etc.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 02:44 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes. In America, the ‘news companies’ like to finish writing and editing their stories after interviewing billionaires to check their preferences on ‘news’ outcomes.