Rising fascism in the US

maporsche

Tue 5 Jun, 2018 05:28 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Do you accept the possibility that maybe these indigenous cultures are not actually inferior to yours, and yours just seems right to you because you are a part of it?

Of course this is a possibility. Only a fool would deny it.
maxdancona

Tue 5 Jun, 2018 06:38 pm
@maporsche,
Believing that your culture just happens to be the best culture is like believing that your religion is the best religion.

There is a chance that you just happen to believe in the one true God... or happen to have been born in the one true Culture. But everyone believes theirs is the best, and the fact that you believe you are right (and everyone else is wrong) doesn't prove anything.

White people protecting indigenous women from their own culture seems ridiculous to me.... particularly the given the history of of White people and indigenous cultures.
oralloy

Tue 5 Jun, 2018 07:14 pm
@maxdancona,
Instead of "best" and "not best" cultures, how about "acceptable" and "not acceptable" cultures?

If a culture's practices are not acceptable to us, then we have every right to use military power to force them to change.

If we can live with their practices, then yes, diversity is fine and I have no objection to it.

As an example, take Italy. What if, at the very beginning of the Amanda Knox case, we invaded Italy, killed every judge in the country, killed everyone who tried to resist us, rescued Amanda and Raffaele, and went home?

That would have been a far better course of action than what we did do. And I bet the next time some third-world hellhole thought about illegally holding an American student in prison for four years, they'd think twice.

Our national motto should be: Speak softly, carry a big stick, and clobber the hell out of anyone who messes with us.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 12:32 am
@Lash,
Thanks. Not that I like Italian politics much these days...
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 01:28 pm
@Lash,
You'd be glad to know that this excellent article in The Atlantic you linked to on Islam in France was translated in Froggian language and published in Courrier International, a weekly in wide circulation.

https://www.courrierinternational.com/article/limpossible-reforme-de-lislam-de-france
Olivier5

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 01:32 pm
@Olivier5,
And they even made the cover on it:

https://www.courrierinternational.com/sites/ci_master/files/styles/image_original_470/public/assets/images/1440_0.jpg?itok=Qogt6iQF
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 8 Jun, 2018 08:37 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
For Roy, that much is clear. “We’re in the process of trying to organize a religion that concerns six million people in France, in order to prevent 200 of them from becoming terrorists. Can’t we see that it’s absurd?” he said. And while he agrees that the current situation is untenable, any shift will require legitimacy if it’s to be successful. “It’s up to Muslims to take the lead. It’s their historic mission.”

I agree.
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 8 Jun, 2018 08:46 am
I don't know if this somewhat confusing case of the cake belongs here, but it seems like it might.

When I first heard that the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the guy who refused to make a cake for a gay couple for religions reasons, I was disappointed. But now that I have read why they ruled in favor of that guy, I am confused. It turns out they ruled in the cake owner's favor because of the Commission in Denver comments seemed to have shown a biasness against the cake owner because of his religion. They went on in their remarks to go on about equality and gay rights. So apparently that decision only affects that one case.

In Masterpiece, the Bakery Wins the Battle but Loses the War ACLU
oralloy

Fri 8 Jun, 2018 09:08 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
I don't know if this somewhat confusing case of the cake belongs here, but it seems like it might.
It's as good a place as any.

As far as I'm concerned at least.

Not that I'm paying much attention to the case. I'm just concurring that this looks like a reasonable place to begin a discussion about it.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Wed 4 Jul, 2018 11:27 am
I've posted this elsewhere, but it's so germane to the topic of rising fascism that it's worth while posting again.

coluber2001

Wed 4 Jul, 2018 02:31 pm
George Will on Donald Trump.

0 Replies

Lash

Wed 4 Jul, 2018 02:44 pm
@coluber2001,
...objective truth, my ass.

But, I support Independents moving left.
I just hope they keep going left, and stop short of open borders.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 13 Jul, 2018 04:05 am
I’m very concerned about what we’re currently calling our democracy.

Alexandria Ocasio Cortez beat the fourth most powerful Dem in Congress.

He refuses to stand down. He’s mounting a third party run at her after being beaten in the primary.

This is the rejection of the people’s votes in a primary by an entrenched oligarch, backed by a thug organization, which is unanswerable to the public.

Watch what’s happening.
layman

Fri 13 Jul, 2018 06:19 am
@Lash,
Although "abolish ICE" was a close second, the main argument in her campaign was "He's white, I aint; I'm female, he aint."

Seems racism and sexism are just fine with "progressives" so long as they think it helps them advance their perverse agenda, eh?
Lash

Fri 13 Jul, 2018 07:30 am
@layman,
I don’t think I’m going to change your mind, but I’ll answer your question.

She was saying her NY district didn’t have representation from someone who could speak their language or who knew what their lives were like. He never went into the district, and just took their votes for granted.

She was QUITE different from that and showcased that difference, which is why she won.

Here’s an excerpt from an article about it:

On the flip side, Crowley—who Ocasio-Cortez has criticized for not picking up Spanish over his 20 years in office—would never be able to talk to his Spanish-speaking constituents on the street the way Ocasio-Cortez does in the Remezcla clip. Having a Spanish-speaking representative could turn area residents into engaged activists, giving them a renewed sense of ownership over, and belonging within, American democracy. Underrepresented minorities don’t stay home from the polls because they’re uneducated, lazy, or uninformed, Ocasio-Cortez says in the video: “People aren’t voting because no one is speaking to them.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/07/midterms-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-won-in-part-because-of-demographics-and-thats-a-good-thing.html
layman

Fri 13 Jul, 2018 08:39 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Here’s an excerpt from an article about it:

On the flip side, Crowley—who Ocasio-Cortez has criticized for not picking up Spanish over his 20 years in office—would never be able to talk to his Spanish-speaking constituents on the street the way Ocasio-Cortez does in the Remezcla clip. Having a Spanish-speaking representative could turn area residents into engaged activists, giving them a renewed sense of ownership over, and belonging within, American democracy. Underrepresented minorities don’t stay home from the polls because they’re uneducated, lazy, or uninformed, Ocasio-Cortez says in the video: “People aren’t voting because no one is speaking to them.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/07/midterms-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-won-in-part-because-of-demographics-and-thats-a-good-thing.html

Well, why should he learn spanish in an English-speaking country? Why didn't any of them learn some English in all their years of camping out here, legally or illegally, I wonder?

So much for "assimilation," eh? Tribalistic identity politics at it's "best," here. It's an enclave foreigners who probably regard themselves as "Little Mexico," who owe their allegiance to Mexico.

Her main "message" was this: "All of you either are, or at least know many people who are, here illegally. I'm going to stop them from enforcing the laws of the USA againt hispanics, so vote for me!"
coluber2001

Sat 14 Jul, 2018 04:14 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbzV-niVIAAX_kD.jpg
reasoning logic

Sun 15 Jul, 2018 04:03 pm
@coluber2001,
Welcome to the USA. Were you can be proud to be Nazi-like. Twisted Evil
coluber2001

Mon 16 Jul, 2018 12:03 pm
@reasoning logic,
Did a Holocaust Museum Display a Poster Listing ‘Early Warning Signs of Fascism’?
The poster was not an exhibit but instead was at one point available in the gift shop of the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 16 Jul, 2018 04:22 pm
@layman,
I’m thinking that a servant of a district meets the majority of their constituents where they are and exerts himself or herself to represent them in Congress to the best of his/her ability.

That district chose Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in a legal primary election.