35

Rising fascism in the US

Lash

1  
Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2018 04:44 pm
@Olivier5,
That’s a ******* strong point.
maporsche

3  
Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2018 05:28 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Do you accept the possibility that maybe these indigenous cultures are not actually inferior to yours, and yours just seems right to you because you are a part of it?

Of course this is a possibility. Only a fool would deny it.

0  
Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2018 06:38 pm
@maporsche,
Believing that your culture just happens to be the best culture is like believing that your religion is the best religion.

There is a chance that you just happen to believe in the one true God... or happen to have been born in the one true Culture. But everyone believes theirs is the best, and the fact that you believe you are right (and everyone else is wrong) doesn't prove anything.

White people protecting indigenous women from their own culture seems ridiculous to me.... particularly the given the history of of White people and indigenous cultures.

-3  
Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2018 07:14 pm
@maxdancona,
Instead of "best" and "not best" cultures, how about "acceptable" and "not acceptable" cultures?

If a culture's practices are not acceptable to us, then we have every right to use military power to force them to change.

If we can live with their practices, then yes, diversity is fine and I have no objection to it.

As an example, take Italy. What if, at the very beginning of the Amanda Knox case, we invaded Italy, killed every judge in the country, killed everyone who tried to resist us, rescued Amanda and Raffaele, and went home?

That would have been a far better course of action than what we did do. And I bet the next time some third-world hellhole thought about illegally holding an American student in prison for four years, they'd think twice.

Our national motto should be: Speak softly, carry a big stick, and clobber the hell out of anyone who messes with us.

Olivier5

1  
Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2018 12:32 am
@Lash,
Thanks. Not that I like Italian politics much these days...

Olivier5

1  
Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2018 01:28 pm
@Lash,
You'd be glad to know that this excellent article in The Atlantic you linked to on Islam in France was translated in Froggian language and published in Courrier International, a weekly in wide circulation.

https://www.courrierinternational.com/article/limpossible-reforme-de-lislam-de-france
Olivier5

1  
Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2018 01:32 pm
@Olivier5,
And they even made the cover on it:

https://www.courrierinternational.com/sites/ci_master/files/styles/image_original_470/public/assets/images/1440_0.jpg?itok=Qogt6iQF

revelette1

1  
Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2018 08:37 am
@Olivier5,
For Roy, that much is clear. “We’re in the process of trying to organize a religion that concerns six million people in France, in order to prevent 200 of them from becoming terrorists. Can’t we see that it’s absurd?” he said. And while he agrees that the current situation is untenable, any shift will require legitimacy if it’s to be successful. “It’s up to Muslims to take the lead. It’s their historic mission.”

I agree.

revelette1

2  
Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2018 08:46 am
I don't know if this somewhat confusing case of the cake belongs here, but it seems like it might.

When I first heard that the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the guy who refused to make a cake for a gay couple for religions reasons, I was disappointed. But now that I have read why they ruled in favor of that guy, I am confused. It turns out they ruled in the cake owner's favor because of the Commission in Denver comments seemed to have shown a biasness against the cake owner because of his religion. They went on in their remarks to go on about equality and gay rights. So apparently that decision only affects that one case.

In Masterpiece, the Bakery Wins the Battle but Loses the War ACLU

-2  
Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2018 09:08 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
It's as good a place as any.

As far as I'm concerned at least.

Not that I'm paying much attention to the case. I'm just concurring that this looks like a reasonable place to begin a discussion about it.