Rising fascism in the US

old europe

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 06:28 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
You can love or hate this Milo guy and agree or disagree with his stated opinions, but HE is not the issue.

To recap: First you complain that the media only writes about the alt-right, and refuses to report what they're actually saying.

Then you complain that the media is reporting what someone like Richard B. Spencer - the guy often credited with creating the term alt-right - is saying when he is shown propagating white supremacy, neo-Nazi ideology in front of hundreds of followers.

You point out that Milo Yiannopoulos, when pressed on the issue, tells us all that the alt-right is nothing like that.

When confronted with Milo's sexist, hateful, misogynist rhetoric, now you're arguing Yiannopoulos isn't the issue. Presumably we should only listen to him when he says that the alt-right is in no way sexist or hateful or misogynist or racist, but not when he personally propagates many of the things the alt-right is being accused of.

Isn't that interesting.

layman wrote:
When Bannon says that Briebart "has given a platform to the alt.right" (a statement that has been repeated--with feigned or real horror--ad nauseum by mainstream media) , which "alt.right" is he referring to, ya think?

Bannon has called the alt-right a smarter version of old-school racist skinheads.

I'm not sure if this means that he, at very least, embraces the racism part of the alt-right, but it doesn't seem like an unreasonable conclusion.
layman

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 06:56 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

Bannon has called the alt-right a smarter version of old-school racist skinheads.

When and where?

In other words, prove it, bluffer.
layman

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 07:01 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:
You point out that Milo Yiannopoulos, when pressed on the issue, tells us all that the alt-right is nothing like that.

When confronted with Milo's sexist, hateful, misogynist rhetoric, now you're arguing Yiannopoulos isn't the issue. Presumably we should only listen to him when he says that the alt-right is in no way sexist or hateful or misogynist or racist, but not when he personally propagates many of the things the alt-right is being accused of.

Isn't that interesting.

You really need to work on your reading comprehension abilities, Yurp. As I said, listen to him all you want. I didn't say otherwise. He's still not the issue. Get it? Probably not.

You might also need a hearing aid. Did you listen to what he said in the video? He said that he, personally, is NOT alt.right.
georgeob1

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 07:06 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

When confronted with Milo's sexist, hateful, misogynist rhetoric,

I believe you have grossly overstated the offense here. There are many far worse things going on in the world today than the words Yiannopoulos actually uttered. No one was injured, and the rhetoric was no stronger than stuff women's rights advocates frequently utter about men. Perhaps you have become a bit too wussified with all the PC nonsense. Someone suffering from a crumpled petal in his/her bed of roses isn't anything to get so worked up about.

You never did answer my question.
layman

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 07:37 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Perhaps you have become a bit too wussified with all the PC nonsense.

Heh, "perhaps?"

I guess there is an alternative, actually. It is one the cheese-eaters often resort to in fact. It is an insincere role-playing where grave offense is feigned. That serves multiple purposes, such as:

1. Playing the aggrieved victim, for purposes of both getting sympathy and complaining to superiors

2. Ostentatiously displaying your extreme moral virtuousness so other cheese-eaters can admire you, all while

3. Pointing out the other's true character as being utterly--what's the word here?--oh, yeah, DEPLORABLE. Racist, misogynist, homophobic, islamophobic, what have you.
0 Replies

Lola

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 10:08 pm
@layman,
Quote:
old europe wrote:
When and where?
In other words, prove it, bluffer.

November 18, 2016
9:53 a.m.
Donald Trump Building Team of Racists
By Jonathan Chait

" . . . Steve Bannon, Trump’s chief strategist, has attracted perhaps the most controversy. That Bannon’s ex-wife has testified to his hatred of Jews has attracted a great deal of attention, but this fact both over- and understates the racial nature of his beliefs. Bannon’s journalistic work is centrally dedicated to the task of refashioning conservatism along white-identity lines. His publication, Breitbart News, has promoted the “alt-right.” Breitbart itself defines the alt-right as a more intelligent version of skinheads:

Donald Trump Building Team of Racists · 17d
Sessions called the ... Breitbart News, has promoted the “alt-right.” Breitbart itself defines the alt-right as a more intelligent version of skinheads: There are many things that separate …
New York Magazine

House Democrats said about controversial Trump appointee · 12d
Under Mr. Bannon's leadership, Breitbart has referred to a leading Republican ... flag proclaims a glorious heritage", and praised the alt-right as a "smarter" version of "old-school racist …
The Celebrity Truth

As the Executive Chairman of Breitbart News, Mr. Bannon repeatedly and aggressively pushed stories that promote anti-Semitism, xenophobia, and racism. During an interview last summer, Mr. Bannon bragged that Breitbart was “the platform for the alt-right,” a movement that upholds White Nationalism while strongly rejecting diversity in any form. Under Mr. Bannon’s leadership, Breitbart has referred to a leading Republican who opposed your election as a “Renegade Jew,” suggested “Young Muslims in the West are a ticking time bomb,” declared that the “Confederate flag proclaims a glorious heritage,” and praised the alt-right as a “smarter” version of “old-school racist skinheads.”

http://www.spotlightnews.com/news/2016/11/21/tonko-us-reps-civil-rights-groups-react-to-trump-picks-for-top-administration-positions/

Do you need more?
Lash

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 10:32 pm
@Lola,
Second-hand accusations.

How about the quote from the person who said it--in context.
old europe

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 11:40 pm
@Lash,
Milo Yiannopoulos, in a Breitbart article, wrote:
There are many things that separate the alternative right from old-school racist skinheads (to whom they are often idiotically compared), but one thing stands out above all else: intelligence. Skinheads, by and large, are low-information, low-IQ thugs driven by the thrill of violence and tribal hatred. The alternative right are a much smarter group of people — which perhaps suggests why the Left hates them so much. They’re dangerously bright.

The origins of the alternative right can be found in thinkers as diverse as Oswald Spengler, H.L Mencken, Julius Evola, Sam Francis, and the paleoconservative movement that rallied around the presidential campaigns of Pat Buchanan. The French New Right also serve as a source of inspiration for many leaders of the alt-right.

The media empire of the modern-day alternative right coalesced around Richard Spencer during his editorship of Taki’s Magazine. In 2010, Spencer founded AlternativeRight.com, which would become a center of alt-right thought.

Alongside other nodes like Steve Sailer’s blog, VDARE and American Renaissance, AlternativeRight.com became a gathering point for an eclectic mix of renegades who objected to the established political consensus in some form or another. All of these websites have been accused of racism.

Written by Milo Yiannopoulos. Published in an article on Stephen Bannon's Breitbart.com. Pointing out the central role of Richard Spencer in the alt-right movement.

Kind of funny to read in retrospect, this implied complaint about how outrageous it is that Richard Spencer's AlternativeRight.com could possibly be accused of racism. Of course, after Spencer's “Hail Trump, hail our people, hail victory!” white supremacist rant, the new take on the issue - as modeled here by layman - is to simply say "Richard Who?" and to deny that Spencer even speaks for the alt-right.
old europe

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 11:45 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
There are many far worse things going on in the world today than the words Yiannopoulos actually uttered. No one was injured

I'm fairly sure you've voiced disagreement with all kinds of statements, even without the offense meeting the standard of "there's nothing worse going on in the world today" or "people were injured!"

If that's your best defense, it's a pretty weak one.

georgeob1 wrote:
Perhaps you have become a bit too wussified with all the PC nonsense.

Perhaps you're categorically incapable of arguing your point of view without sneaking in an ad hominem attack.

georgeob1 wrote:
You never did answer my question.

I did. You just didn't like the answer.
0 Replies

old europe

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 11:57 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
He said that he, personally, is NOT alt.right.

Sure. So let's ignore what he says, since he has no authority to speak on the topic.

Let's listen to upstanding guys like Richard Spencer, who actually claim the alt-right label.

Or maybe to Andrew Anglin, who labelled his website "The World’s Most Visited Alt-Right Website." Here's how he describes the goal of the alt-right:

Andrew Anglin wrote:
The goal is to ethnically cleanse White nations of non-Whites and establish an authoritarian government. Many people also believe that the Jews should be exterminated.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 12:26 am
@Lola,
"There are many things that separate the alternative right from old-school racist skinheads (to whom they are often idiotically compared"

****, the media is distorting the hell out of things, and these chumps are eating it up like candy, eh, Lash?

They are saying this article called alt.right the very thing that the article itself says would be an "idiotic comparison." Where's the guy who stood up to McCarthy and asked: "Sir, have you no decency at all?" (something like that)?
0 Replies

layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 12:30 am
@Lola,
Lola wrote:

Do you need more?

Jonathan Chait is a stone-cold liar who just made you look like a complete fool, Lola. I had read this entire article some time ago and knew it didn't say this. Did you even think about going to the source, rather than relying on selective,ellipse-filled, exceprts from a lying press?
0 Replies

layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 12:38 am
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

. Pointing out the central role of Richard Spencer in the alt-right movement.

Fool.

He freely acknowledges, in the video that there is "some overlap" on the "very fringes" of KKK types with what he calls "alt.right," which expressly DENIES that it plays a central role.

There is "some overlap" between the democratic party and hard-core marxism, so what?

I notice that you have a habit of failing to provide a link to sources from which you take excerpts.
layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 12:44 am
@layman,
The NYT has suddenly acquired at least a modicum of integrity.
layman wrote:

From the NYT

Quote:
Stephen K. Bannon, the executive chairman of Breitbart News, whom Mr. Trump has picked as his chief White House strategist, told an interviewer in July that he considered Breitbart a “platform for the alt-right.” Perhaps we should not make too much of this. Mr. Bannon may have meant something quite different by the term. Last summer “alt-right,” though it carried overtones of extremism, was not an outright synonym for ideologies like Mr. Spencer’s. But in late August, Hillary Clinton devoted a speech to the alt-right, calling it simply a new label for an old kind of white supremacy that Mr. Trump was shamelessly exploiting....

Until Hillary Clinton’s speech last summer, a similarly broad idea prevailed of what the alt-right was. The Southern Poverty Law Center’s webpage on the movement traces some of its roots to libertarian followers of Ron Paul and traditionalist Christians... Understood this way, the alt-right did look as if it might be a pillar of Mr. Bannon’s world Tea Party.

Not even the former Breitbart editor at large Ben Shapiro, who has become an energetic critic of Mr. Bannon and his agenda, says that Mr. Bannon is himself a racist or an anti-Semite. Mr. Shapiro considers fears that Mr. Bannon will bring white nationalism to the White House “overstated, at the very least.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/02/opinion/sunday/what-the-alt-right-really-means.html?_r=0

Resorting to cheap, transparent sophistry, Clinton (1) falsely equated the term "alt.right" with "white supremacy" and then (2) portrayed Bannon (and hence Trump) as reflective of that, simply because Bannon had used the same term in an entirely different sense.

If she didn't fool anyone else, she certainly fooled her supporters (which includes virtually the entire media). But I don't think the media was "fooled" at all. They, like her, saw this formula for smearing Trump with cynically amoral sophistry as being a useful tool for misleading others.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 01:16 am
@Lola,
Lola wrote:

.. praised the alt-right as a “smarter” version of “old-school racist skinheads.”

Do you need more?

Notice the very selective use of quotation marks. Milo article NEVER even came close to calling, let alone "praising," the alt.right as racist skinheads. He says the comparison between the two groups is "idiotic."

I will presume that Lola has been fooled. I presume that Yurp is more from the school of Chait himself, who is a smear artist who knows damn well that he is distorting things to create a misleading impression.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 01:30 am
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

Kind of funny to read in retrospect, this implied complaint about how outrageous it is that Richard Spencer's AlternativeRight.com could possibly be accused of racism. Of course, after Spencer's “Hail Trump, hail our people, hail victory!” white supremacist rant, the new take on the issue - as modeled here by layman - is to simply say "Richard Who?" and to deny that Spencer even speaks for the alt-right.

I am not going to spend much time "correcting" your repetitious slanders, Yurp. You have no intellectual integrity at all. I never said that "Richard Spencer's AlternativeRight.com could possibly be accused of racism," or anything close to it.

Spencer calls himself alt.right, as I acknowledged, that's all. But that's not a group that Bannon, or anyone at Brietbart, ever suggested exemplified the term "alt.right" in the way they use it

Try reading Milo's article: http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/03/29/an-establishment-conservatives-guide-to-the-alt-right/

I give you that link, knowing, in advance, for virtually certain, that you will try to selectively quote from it to give a blatantly false impression of it's overall contents (it is rather long).

Have at it, liar. I give the link primarily so that anyone else, who actually cares to know the truth, can see it for themselves.
layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 02:19 am
I will myself selectively quote from the article, just for the purpose of demonstrating that it is not some simplistic equation of the alt.right with "smarter neo-nazis."

Quote:
Elsewhere on the internet, another fearsomely intelligent group of thinkers prepared to assault the secular religions of the establishment: the neoreactionaries...

The purpose of the blog was to explore ways to apply the latest research on cognitive science to overcome human bias, including bias in political thought and philosophy...

Led by philosopher Nick Land and computer scientist Curtis Yarvin, this group began a gleeful demolition of the age-old biases of western political discourse. Liberalism, democracy and egalitarianism were all put under the microscope of the neoreactionaries, who found them wanting.

Asking people to see each other as human beings rather than members of a demographic in-group, meanwhile, ignored every piece of research on tribal psychology.

While they can certainly be accused of being overly-eager to bridge the gap between fact and value (the truth of tribal psychology doesn’t necessarily mean we should embrace or encourage it), these were the first shoots of a new conservative ideology — one that many were waiting for.

The article then goes on to describe "group that the intellectuals were writing for," i.e., what he calls "natural conservatives."

Quote:
...natural conservatives’ concern with the flourishing of their own culture comes up against an intractable nemesis in the regressive left...

Alt-righters describe establishment conservatives who care more about the free market than preserving western culture, and who are happy to endanger the latter with mass immigration where it serves the purposes of big business, as “cuckservatives.”...

It’s true that Donald Trump would not be possible without the oppressive hectoring of the progressive Left, but the entire media is to blame for the environment in which this new movement has emerged.

For decades, the concerns of those who cherish western culture have been openly ridiculed and dismissed as racist....

The Left can’t language-police and name-call them away, which have for the last twenty years been the only progressive responses to dissent, and the Right can’t snobbishly dissociate itself from them and hope they go away either.

0 Replies

old europe

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 03:03 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
He freely acknowledges, in the video that there is "some overlap" on the "very fringes" of KKK types with what he calls "alt.right," which expressly DENIES that it plays a central role.

He can deny that the sky is blue and grass is green, if that's what he feels like doing.

layman wrote:
I notice that you have a habit of failing to provide a link to sources from which you take excerpts.

I thought you might have the technical expertise to find an article online, but I'm certainly willing to help you out: An Establishment Conservative's Guide To The Alt-Right

Since you seem to assign relevance to Milo's own words, here's his description of Richard Spencer's role in the alt-right movement:

Milo Yiannopoulos wrote:
The media empire of the modern-day alternative right coalesced around Richard Spencer during his editorship of Taki’s Magazine. In 2010, Spencer founded AlternativeRight.com, which would become a center of alt-right thought.

You can find that bit under the headline "The Intellectuals" in the article.
0 Replies

old europe

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 03:07 am
@layman,
I see a lot of whining and complaining, so why don't you go ahead and quote the relevant description of Richard Spencer's role in the alt-right, as described by Milo in the article you linked.

We wouldn't want to selectively quote from it to give a blatantly false impression, would we?
0 Replies

layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 03:16 am
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

This is blatantly false, and your surrogate, Lola, certainly did not prove otherwise by regurgitating one of your fellow-travelling smear artist's distortions.

The challenge remains, liar.

Point out one place, any place, and one time, any time, that Bannon said that.