Rising fascism in the US

Lash

Sun 22 Oct, 2017 07:58 am
@wmwcjr,
My experience here has been that when I point out moves toward a fascist environment from the left, some people take refuge in accusing me of being pro-extreme right.

Seems to be aggressively avoidant behavior designed to shut down criticism of their ideology's encroachment on privacy and speech.

Like fascists.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 22 Oct, 2017 08:12 am
If some people would read about the history of Fascism, could understand what is written there, - perhaps some comments would at least sound differently.

Walter Hinteler

Sun 22 Oct, 2017 08:15 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
... I point out moves toward a fascist environment from the left ...
I know that some say "environmentalism is fascism" ("Eco-Fascists").
But what do you call a "fascist environment"?
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 22 Oct, 2017 08:35 am
"The left" are not in power in the United States. Right now, the Republican Party, the right, are in power. The idea that there are moves toward fascism from the left are risible in the contemporary political "environment" of the United States.

Get back to us when the Democrats control the White House, both houses of Congress and have taken an at least five-to-four seats on the Supreme Court. Whining about demonstrators in Berkeley is not evidence of "rising fascism" in the United States.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sun 22 Oct, 2017 08:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
We you need to understand, Walt, is that us leftists are all fascists, in the sense that we happen to disagree with Princess Lash every now and then.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 22 Oct, 2017 09:20 am
@Olivier5,
Yes, the left is "like fascists".
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 22 Oct, 2017 09:22 am
It's short-sighted to limit ourselves to viewing only traditional political parties as the only powers capable of control over the population.

I'm looking at the red-flag fascist indicators as they appear.

Encroachments on speech are indicators no matter what direction they come from.

We can see a strong mutually beneficial relationship between most media outlets and the establishment democrat party. We see the emails that proved the DNC's efforts to rig the primary were assisted by a wide swath of the media. Finally, because the Clintons and the DNC have lost a degree of power, facts about the web of cronyism and cover-ups through the CIA, the State Department, the FBI, Loretta Lynch... are being written about.

They very successfully subvert justice, our laws, and transparency in our government.

I'm sure the GOP has a version of this. It's not all about the Dems, but there the ones I'm noticing more because no one is holding them to account.

Add Google, Facebook and/or Amazon to that Dem/media stranglehold on subversive power and we're living in a different reality.

The German move against global speech factors in.

Maybe the word for what's happening isn't fascism due to a limiting phrase in the current definition, but the result of what's happening is the same.

Walter Hinteler

Sun 22 Oct, 2017 09:37 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
The German move against global speech factors in.

Maybe the word for what's happening isn't fascism due to a limiting phrase in the current definition, but the result of what's happening is the same.
So you think that we here in Germany are on the way back to Nazism because our constitution limits Nazi-speech?
Setanta

Sun 22 Oct, 2017 09:47 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
It's short-sighted to limit ourselves to viewing only traditional political parties as the only powers capable of control over the population.

In the long history of stupid claims you've made at this site, this one deserves especial mention. Your attempt to distort the definition of fascism in order to excoriate a handful of loud-mouthed students in Berkeley (I don't see you providing any other examples) who didn't want their student fees spent on right-wing demagogues whose only purpose in booking a speaking engagement was to set up such a claim is pathetic.

Certainly you are entitled to your own opinion--but language doesn't function as it is intended if everyone gets to have their own definitions. I am reminded of Okie with his attempts to claim that the NSDAP was a left-wing organization. Whether the origin is on the left or the right, fascist governments share commonalities which simply cannot be alleged against the so-called left in the United States at this time.

The contemporary threat of fascism "rising" in the United States today can only come from the right.
Olivier5

Sun 22 Oct, 2017 09:50 am
@Lash,
Keep your wary eyes trained on Google, Lash. Any time now, they gona burn millions of Jews.
Lash

Sun 22 Oct, 2017 10:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,
You don’t seem to mind infringement on your speech, privacy, or how controlled your news sources are as long as it’s done by Group A and not Group B.

I don’t want either to get away with it.
Lash

Sun 22 Oct, 2017 10:05 am
@Setanta,
You intentionally disregard many mentions of Google et al.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 22 Oct, 2017 10:08 am
@Olivier5,
Is that the criteria for us now? Call me when you see the genocide?

The frog sits in the simmering pot.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 22 Oct, 2017 10:11 am
@Lash,
I do think that we have more privacy than in many other countries. I don't know of any news source which is controlled.

Infringement means "an encroachment or trespass on a right or privilege" How is this done when it's in our constitution since the very beginning of the existence of our country? (8 May 1949, to be precise)
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sun 22 Oct, 2017 10:18 am
@Lash,
Yes, an important criterion for fascism is the glorification of violence, and its use to eliminate and intimidate opponents or even political allies. Another one is extreme nationalism and/or racism.

We all know that Google is ultraviolent and extremely racist, no? <smirk>

Comparing Google to fascists is downright obscene, and it trivializes fascism. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 22 Oct, 2017 10:27 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
We all know that Google is ultraviolent and extremely racist, no? <smirk
Sputnik or Yandex are gentle, state-controlled, anti-fascist, nonviolent sources without any infringement on speech, privacy, or news sources.

Edited: Sputnik or Yandex are gentle, state-controlled, anti-fascist, nonviolent sources without any infringement on speech, privacy, or news sources.
Olivier5

Sun 22 Oct, 2017 11:05 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Sputnik and RT are owned and controlled by the Kremlin. They are pure propaganda outfits pedling lies and extreme right views. It's a bit like if FAUX News was owned by a ruthless dictator, and used to disinform the world... I don't know about Yandex.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 22 Oct, 2017 11:22 am
@Olivier5,
Yandex is the the "Russian Google", so to say. (That's why Sputnik was started by the Kremlin.)
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 22 Oct, 2017 12:05 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
There once was a great thread on scifi and fantasy illustrations where Farmer, Set and I were posting, among others. I discovered a few interesting artists there. It was deleted, I assume because a few of the pictured ladies were scantily clad...

I was once banned for saying to oral: "you're a liar". I decide to ban a2k for a few months in retaliation. They need posters as much as posters need them. It's a transaction, an exchange, after all.

First a note: No lies on my part. In the unlikely event that I say something that is factually incorrect, I say it in good faith in the belief that it is true.

Further, it is very likely that whatever I say is in fact 100% true.

Anyway, while I have no idea what prompted the suspension, I strongly doubt that it was that comment wrongly accusing me of lying. Such comments, even when untrue, do not seem to result in people being suspended.

I remember that suspension. I think I even PM'd you about it (obviously a PM you wouldn't be able to read until you got back). It never occurred to me that you might think it was because of something you said to me. I really doubt that the reason for the suspension was a post wrongly calling me a liar.

If you are really curious, you can use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the pages here to ask what the reason for the suspension was.
oralloy

Sun 22 Oct, 2017 12:06 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Keep your wary eyes trained on Google, Lash. Any time now, they gona burn millions of Jews.

Not all fascists are genocidal. That's why fascism and nazism are two separate terms.
0 Replies