Rising fascism in the US

izzythepush

Fri 10 Feb, 2023 07:59 am
@Frank Apisa,
I live about 46 miles from Stonehenge and the Solstices, and Equinoxes, with all the druids hippies and new agers doing their thing is on the local news every three months.

I wasn't being nasty either, but as you can see the solstices don't exactly pass by unnoticed over here.
Frank Apisa

Fri 10 Feb, 2023 08:08 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I live about 46 miles from Stonehenge and the Solstices, and Equinoxes, with all the druids hippies and new agers doing their thing is on the local news every three months.

I wasn't being nasty either, but as you can see the solstices don't exactly pass by unnoticed over here.

I never did go to Stonehenge while I was there. I regret that very much.

Did you know that Manhattan has a Stonehenge event? They call it Manhattanhenge...in honor of that structure near you.

This year it will be on Wednesday, June 21, 2023

https://media.timeout.com/images/105668727/750/422/image.jpg
izzythepush

Fri 10 Feb, 2023 08:46 am
@Frank Apisa,
That does look a bit other worldly I must admit.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Fri 10 Feb, 2023 09:00 am
@Frank Apisa,
I called my sister in NYC about manhattanhenge. According to the AMNH website, it occurs when the riaing sun lines up perfectly with the NYC street grid and the sun shines downthe length of every cross street. Since NYC isn't laid out perfectly north-south Manhattan henge actually occurs on Mwmoril Day and the major league baseball all-star break, every may and july, which would lead future archaeologists to conclude the ancient americans, us, worshippepd war and baseball, which actually isn't that far off.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 10 Feb, 2023 11:39 am
The perfect message to the Weaponization of Congress and Govt Agencies Committee by Tulsi Gabbard.

https://youtu.be/1GYW10F2MSc
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 10 Feb, 2023 02:27 pm
Well. Today the Pentagon has ordered and accomplished the shooting down of an object we couldn’t identify.

We call those unidentified flying objects.

Over Anchorage.
0 Replies

vikorr

Fri 10 Feb, 2023 02:56 pm
@Frank Apisa,
It was quite fine Frank. I actually didn't know that we travel an eliptical path around the sun, which when I looked it up, lead to me finding out the Moon's orbit around the Earth is also eliptical. I was just suprised you both knew about the solistices and how they worked - from memory, I heard a single mention of them somewhere between grade 6-8 and that was it. I only remember because interactive cause & effect has interested me from childhood.
hightor

Fri 10 Feb, 2023 02:59 pm
Quote:
Over Anchorage.

Wrong.
Quote:
On Friday, Mr. Kirby said that Mr. Biden ordered the unidentified object near Alaska downed “out of an abundance of caution.” He said the object was shot down over waters off the coast of Alaska.
Frank Apisa

Fri 10 Feb, 2023 03:04 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

It was quite fine Frank. I actually didn't know that we travel an eliptical path around the sun, which when I looked it up, lead to me finding out the Moon's orbit around the Earth is also eliptical. I was just suprised you both knew about the solistices and how they worked - from memory, I heard a single mention of them somewhere between grade 6-8 and that was it. I only remember because interactive cause & effect has interested me from childhood.

I'm an amateur astronomer, Vikorr...or at least, I was. I had a minor stroke a few years back and my eyesight in my dominant eye is impaired. So my three telescopes pretty much sit idly these days. When you dabble in astronomy, you find out all sorts of interesting trivia about this vast thing called the universe.
0 Replies

BillW

Fri 10 Feb, 2023 07:21 pm
@hightor,
I heard it was over the ice.😁
hightor

Sat 11 Feb, 2023 06:06 am
@BillW,
"on the rocks" Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 12 Feb, 2023 06:12 am
It's not the theme of this thread.
But belongs here for some reason.

A Cambridge professor makes a fascinating case for counteracting the ‘misinformation virus’ through psychological inoculation
Quote:
Can you spot fake news? Here are the headlines of three recent stories that received wide coverage: “Putin issues international arrest warrant for George Soros”; “A baby born in California was named heart eyes emoji”; “Criminal farts so loudly he gives away his hiding place”. Did you recognise that only one of these stories was true – the third one?

This is the type of test that Sander van der Linden, a professor of social psychology in society at Cambridge University, likes to use in experiments, as outlined in his fascinating, if slightly terrifying, new book.

Van der Linden has found that only about 4% of participants in these tests can correctly identify all the bogus stories presented to them. You are probably thinking that, as the reader of a serious national newspaper, you would not be fooled so easily, but Van der Linden explains clearly why we are all vulnerable. We all have a tendency to accept information that is consistent with our prior beliefs, and reject that which is not, resulting in confirmation bias.

Some of us are also more likely to believe in wild conspiracy stories – from secret microchips in vaccines to stolen elections – but most of us are unaware of how often we are duped by the things we read and hear. And Van der Linden warns that there is growing evidence that our inability to filter out misinformation is putting many lives at risk and undermining democracy across the world.

[...]

Van der Linden has identified “six degrees of manipulation” – strategies that are used to fool people into believing the unbelievable. These include discrediting factual information using deflection and denial, and making emotional appeals to generate responses based on feelings instead of rational thoughts – for instance by exaggerating the risks of rare side effects from the Covid-19 vaccines.

Polarisation strategies are employed to deepen divisions between groups of people on issues, such as abortion, that strongly align with liberal and conservative viewpoints. Conspiracy theories are seeded to cast doubt on mainstream explanations for events. Trolling seeks to exploit and provoke people about controversial issues, such as baiting high-profile individuals on social media about their views on Brexit.

The sixth strategy is the impersonation of expert individuals and organisations to lend spurious credibility to outright falsehoods. The book highlights the example of the Oregon Petition, which has been circulated periodically over the past 25 years with more than 31,000 signatures of supposed scientists who reject the scientific consensus on climate change.

But Van der Linden found that individuals who deny global warming are more sceptical of the validity of the petition – which includes very few climate scientists – when they are warned in advance that conservative lobby groups are seeking to manipulate views by hiding the extent of consensus among experts in order to create opposition to policies to phase out fossil fuels. This is an example of “prebunking” – making people more alert in advance to specific attempts to deceive them – and often provides a more effective defence than debunking misinformation after it has appeared.

However, Van der Linden and his colleagues have shown that it is even better to inoculate people by warning them of how they might be manipulated, and to give them a chance to explore for themselves how easy it is to create and spread misinformation. They even created an online game, Bad News, through which thousands of people could try their hand at writing deceptive social media posts and headlines. Subsequent testing revealed that participants had, in the process, become more immune to false claims.

Foolproof ends with a chapter offering advice to readers about how they can inoculate friends and family to make them less susceptible to propaganda, by challenging and discussing fake news that is encountered, for instance, on a WhatsApp group. So, even as a reader of a serious national newspaper, this book could help you to play your part in creating “herd immunity” against the growing scourge of fake facts and nonsense narratives.
hightor

Sun 12 Feb, 2023 06:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
But belongs here for some reason.

Yes, it does.

0 Replies

Lash

Sun 12 Feb, 2023 10:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Absolutely correct. Trying to help people break free of so much misinformation is the basis of this thread--and thanks for helping.

For instance, so many people who are absorbed and controlled by the US state media still believe that Trump was their biggest problem when it was clearly the Democrat establishment along with their state media arm and spooks from multiple US Departments.

Primary documents from Elvis Chan, SF FBI (and his 40 FBI employees), and James Baker (former FBI investigated twice for leaking info there, installed as Deputy Chief Counsel at Twitter, constantly cited as suppressing news and certain accounts) and myriad other spooks have been released to the public, yet these poor fools STILL hold fast to false beliefs. These paid government spies using lies and suppression of news created more disinformation than Russia ever did in this country. Shocking.

Despite facts about the voluminous history that is preserved in VIDEO and more so, their own personal memory, these deluded Democrat lemmings continue to act scandalized by the lies of George Santos--when he can't come close to the number of Jim Crow Joe Biden's multitude of lies or the laughable boldness of those lies. Marched for Civil Rights? LOL!! Visited Mandela? On a island where Mandela never was? They allow him to spew this ****. And try to gaslight about it as they were gaslighted. They're not really human any more. They're worms used for political ends like other worms are used on farms to propagate ****. **** in; **** out.

Truly, their propaganda-induced psychosis is like a Jim Jones Kool-Aid drinking party.

This pathetic group has had to jerk their heads so often to avert the scene of their folly and betrayal, it's like a mass neck-breaking suicide attempt.

There was not a scintilla of logic in the state-pushed story that Russia had sabotaged it's own pipeline--from which Russia derived needed money from Europe for energy products--but Democrat sycophants clung to each lie against all sense to that ridiculous, unsupportable theory.

Americans like me used to complain about being the world's policemen because of the cost. What I should have seen then--and I definitely do now--is that US dabbling is never about goodwill or brotherhood or compassion. If the US won't even allow it's own citizens to get healthcare without astronomical, many times prohibitive cost, how could I possibly have believed we'd spend millions or billions benevolently helping Haiti, Puerto Rico, Yemen. Ask those citizens about our help.

The Rand Corporation wrote the blueprint to 'extending Russia:' a plan to render Russia less able to join China when we inevitably go to war with them--without rousing the ire of the US public too much. If we didn't use our sons and daughters to weaken Russia--and if we could create a cause celebre around it--the US might get away with it. And the voting Democrats cheer them because the millionaire elected Democrats who are sharing in the profits are working it for everything it's worth. Zelensky addressing Congress? Zelensky at the Oscars? Zelensky giving the VP a Nazi flag? Sure!
Why not?

Our country has been so insanely greedy and plundered so many other countries, keeping them from approaching our hegemonic status that we are reviled.

Many have put together a challenge in the form of BRICS+++ and many more are clamoring to join them. They are now dealing financially with each other using the yuan, other currencies, and seek to create a new currency.
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/economy/policy/brics-explores-creating-new-reserve-currency/articleshow/94628034.cms

Wait until the citizens of Germany, France, greater Europe really begin suffering for our government's greedy cause and stop dutifully parroting our narrative...

The Democrat voter is afraid to stray from the state-narrative or to think critically about what is true, what is logical, and what is actually happening.

Hopefully, they will soon give way to logic and the hard truth--which is THEY have been sold conspiracies by an authoritarian cabal of Democrats, CIA, DHS, IRS, FBI etc., and the mainstream media. They are the ones who've been propagandized to mock and hate and shut their minds to facts.

MontereyJack

Sun 12 Feb, 2023 10:25 am
@Lash,
Conspiracy rheory crazy
Lash

Sun 12 Feb, 2023 10:29 am
@MontereyJack,
Coincidence theory crazier
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 12 Feb, 2023 10:29 am
Maybe the OP can post a relevant Stew Peters documentary to flesh out the unproven allegations, clumsy misstatements, and outright lies that pepper these entertaining jeremiads.
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 13 Feb, 2023 06:59 am
Quote:
Truly, their propaganda-induced psychosis is like a Jim Jones Kool-Aid drinking party.

I hope everyone makes note of the irony on display as someone who breathlessly and unapologetically posts every stinking canard concocted by the Fox/GOP/anti-vax geyser of misinformation – the Seth Rich story, videos by Stew Peters and Dr. John Campbell, articles by washed up bureaucrats with a with an axe to grind, the attack on Paul Pelosi, and probably one on the high altitude balloons as soon as there's an alt-right crackpot theory she can copy and post here – projects her confusion, dishonesty, and despair on those who question and refute her "propaganda-induced psychosis".
0 Replies

vikorr

Mon 13 Feb, 2023 03:01 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The story belongs here inability to discern misinformation is behind many problems, including rising fascism (but isn't limited to just that).

Many truly believe they can determine the truth solely by 'seeing if it matches what I already believe to the truth'. The article specifically said this is a problem "We all have a tendency to accept information that is consistent with our prior beliefs, and reject that which is not, resulting in confirmation bias."

There are a number of posters on these forums that very strongly adhere to the red part of the quote, while claiming they can discern truth.

Quote:
However, Van der Linden and his colleagues have shown that it is even better to inoculate people by warning them of how they might be manipulated, and to give them a chance to explore for themselves how easy it is to create and spread misinformation. They even created an online game, Bad News, through which thousands of people could try their hand at writing deceptive social media posts and headlines. Subsequent testing revealed that participants had, in the process, become more immune to false claims.

If you are given a brief to ‘write a story that is 100% factual, but entirely misleading, by leaving out key information’ – you will realise how easy it is to manipulate even a factual story.

If you are given a brief to write a story that is 100%, but entirely misleading, so that the story plays to the known Bias (or fears) of the target audience, you will realise how easy it is to manipulate people, or even entire communities through confirmation bias.

Having been privy to the actual facts of many journalist written stories, I've seen how easy it is to manipulate people through ommission, through playing to pre-existing biases or fears, and through use of well chosen subjective words that evoke emotions/fears (so that the readers get hooked and keep coming back) . Even with this awareness, I've still been caught when I didn't ask enough questions.

Afterwards, if you don’t want to be a slave to your own pre-conceptions (ie. caught by dis-information), you will realise just how essential it is run tests on everything you read / hear. Hence why I use tests like:
- what information could be left out that could change how I view this story?
- am I ignoring anything because it makes me uncomfortable?
- how would that I am wanting to ignore fit within a complete story?
- what are the subjective words used, that could change the meaning for me?
- does this match human motivation & behaviour?
- am I expecting humans to be perfect robots
- how could they perceive this (and why)?
- For uniform/entity/organisation stories: am I looking at this from a 'entity/uniform' understanding (which is rarely right), or the invididual within the 'uniform/entity' perspective?

I'm sure there are other ways of wording tests. The point is, as we all tend to suffer confirmation bias, the only way to help reduce the belief in false information is to constantly run tests on what we read & hear.
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 14 Feb, 2023 01:40 pm
DNC/FBI/CIA propaganda, no doubt. Putin would never allow this:

Russia's Prigozhin admits links to what U.S. says was election-meddling troll farm

Quote:
Feb 14 (Reuters) - Yevgeny Prigozhin, the head of Russia's Wagner mercenary group, said on Tuesday that he founded and financed and the Internet Research Agency, a company Washington says is a "troll farm" which meddled in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

Prigozhin, an ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin, spent years operating on behalf of the Kremlin in the shadows, but has emerged in recent months as one of the most high profile figures connected with Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

He has previously admitted interfering in U.S. elections, but his statement on Tuesday appears to go further than before in outlining his specific links to the St. Petersburg-based Internet Research Agency (IRA).

"I was never just the financier of the Internet Research Agency. I thought it up, I created it, I managed it for a long time," Prigozhin said in a post shared on social media by the press service of his Concord catering group.

"It was created to protect the Russian information space from the West's boorish and aggressive anti-Russian propaganda," Prigozhin said.

Prigozhin was first sanctioned by the United States over his links to the Internet Research Agency in 2018 and charged with conspiracy to defraud the United States.

Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s report on his inquiry into Russia’s role in the 2016 U.S. election said that Internet Research Agency sought to sow discord in the United States through "information warfare."

It sought to sway the 2016 election in favour of Trump, Mueller’s report said.

"The campaign evolved from a generalized program designed in 2014 and 2015 to undermine the U.S. electoral system, to a

targeted operation that by early 2016 favored candidate Trump and disparaged candidate [Hillary] Clinton," the report said.

"IRA employees also traveled to the United States on intelligence-gathering missions."

Prigozhin, who spent the final decade of the Soviet Union in prison for robbery and fraud, was for years an associate of Putin. His catering group swept up government contracts, earning him the nickname of "Putin's Chef", while he deployed Wagner mercenaries to fight alongside Russian servicemen in Syria and to conflicts across Africa to advance Russia's geopolitical interests.

After years of denials, he last year admitted his links to Wagner and said he had interfered in U.S. elections.

Having rapidly built his public profile both in Russia and abroad since Russia invaded Ukraine, analysts say the Kremlin has moved to clip his wings more recently, concerned about the outspoken businessman's growing stature and high-profile criticism of the defence ministry.

reuters