Rising fascism in the US

hightor

Sun 20 Nov, 2022 10:05 am
@Lash,
I've really got to thank you for the TRNN link. I wasn't that interested in what Kiriakou had to say because, well what do you expect when civilization is based on something as regressive as competing "nation states"? But this TRNN video is something else! What an enjoyable discussion. Thought-provoking and I learned a lot.
Lash

Sun 20 Nov, 2022 10:09 am
@hightor,
I can’t complain about that. It’s on my list. Maybe today.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 20 Nov, 2022 10:10 am
Here are two progressive dissenters discussing Zelenskyy’s attempt to false flag us into WWIII.

https://youtu.be/L63YqJveNAI
0 Replies

coluber2001

Mon 21 Nov, 2022 10:51 am
"Our country, fascism is not some foreign thing. It's always been here. But our country is a heroic example of our fight against fascism. If you look at the examples of literature that black intellectuals have been creating over the past 150 years, what have they been doing? They've been fighting fascism forever because they've been the victims."
--Jason Stanley

The Thom Hartmann Program

BillW

Mon 21 Nov, 2022 11:52 am
@coluber2001,
It's not fascism as long as you are not the victim.......
coluber2001

Mon 21 Nov, 2022 02:11 pm
@BillW,
Yeah. I remember Larry King saying that the majority doesn't need a Bill of Rights. It's for the minorities.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 24 Nov, 2022 03:20 am
Frances Fox Piven has a warning for America. Don’t get too relaxed, there could be worse to come.

‘The US can still become a fascist country’: Frances Fox Piven’s midterms postmortem
Quote:
“I don’t think this fight over elemental democracy is over, by any means,” she said. “The United States was well on the road to becoming a fascist country – and it still can become a fascist country.”

The revered sociologist and battle-tested activist – an inspirational figure to those on the left, a bogeywoman for the hard right – is sharing with the Guardian her postmortem of the 2022 midterm elections and Donald Trump’s announcement of a 2024 presidential run. While many observers have breathed a sigh of relief over the rout of extreme election deniers endorsed by Trump, and his seemingly deflated campaign launch, Piven has a more sombre analysis.

All the main elements are now in place, she said, for America to take a turn to the dark side. “There is the crazy mob, Maga; an elite that is oblivious to what is required for political stability; and a grab-it-and-run mentality that is very strong, very dangerous. I was very frightened about what would happen in the election, and it could still happen.”

That Piven is cautioning against a false sense of security in the wake of the midterms would not surprise her many students and admirers. The co-author, with her late husband Richard Cloward, of the progressive bible, Poor People’s Movements: Why They Succeed, How They Fail, has for decades sounded the alarm.

She has raised red flags over the vulnerabilities of the country’s democracy, the inequalities baked into its electoral and judicial systems, and how poor Americans, especially those of colour, are forced to resort to defiance and disruption to get their voices heard. Now, with the Republicans having taken the House of Representatives, she foresees ugly times ahead.

“There’s going to be a lot of vengeance politics, a lot of efforts to get back at Joe Biden, idiot stuff. And that will rile up a lot of people. The Maga mob is not a majority of the American population by any stretch of the imagination, but the fascist mob don’t have to be the majority to set in motion the kinds of policies that crush democracy.”

To say that Piven has come to such a perspective through years of experience as a sociologist and anti-poverty warrior would be an understatement. She recently celebrated her 90th birthday, and her earliest political memories go back to the 1930s.

Her first is from 1939. It was prompted by the Russo-Finnish war which, though thousands of miles away, spilled out on to the streets of her neighbourhood. She was brought up in the New York borough of Queens by Jewish immigrant parents from Uzliany, in what is now Belarus.

“I was seven, so perfectly equipped to have a position on this issue,” she recalls. “Tutored by my father, I took the side of the Russians and fought with all the kids on the block.”

Her next vivid recollection relates to the death of Franklin Roosevelt in April 1945. “When FDR died, the whole street was bereft, almost sobbing. And these were people who didn’t talk much about politics, immigrants whose perspective was very narrow, getting by for another day, another week.”

Piven said she thought a lot about that communal mourning for FDR in the aftermath of the midterms with all their discord and rancour. “The thing about FDR was much bigger than partisan politics, anywhere,” she said.

That shared grief over FDR’s death seems worlds apart from the acrimony of today’s politics – all the more so after Trump’s declaration that he is running for the White House again. She talked about the former president’s “performative politics”, and the way it incorporates what she called “the human capacity for cruelty”.

Asked to point to an example of such cruelty, Piven referenced the attack last month on Paul Pelosi, husband of the Democratic speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi. “This crazy man broke into the Pelosi home and attacked an 82-year-old man with a hammer, broke his skull. And there were actually politicians speaking to a mass audience and laughing at it.

“As thinking people, we don’t pay enough attention to the human lust for cruelty. We are at a point in American politics where those aspects of our nature are being brought to the fore; Trump has been doing that for a very long time, and we have to stop it or else it will continue to grow.”

... ... ...
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 26 Nov, 2022 11:21 am
Glenn Greenwald
@ggreenwald
Nov 25
BREAKING! Allowing those disliked by liberals to be heard on the internet will *literally* kill many people (😱), warn the most neurotic, mentally unwell, petulant petty-tyrants who have declared themselves "online safety experts" and are now called that by liberal media outlets.
Official
Activists warn lives at risk over Elon Musk's amnesty plans for suspended Twitter accounts https://trib.al/5PteNFV
0 Replies

coluber2001

Sat 26 Nov, 2022 11:28 am
Jason Stanley:
Democratic versus fascist education
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 26 Nov, 2022 12:14 pm
Americans who believe in truth, honesty, and transparency in government will be pissed. The real disinformation misinformation looks like this.

https://youtu.be/36Aft4wxfac
Lash

Sat 26 Nov, 2022 12:20 pm
This is one reason people are glad Musk disrupted the censorship regime at pre-Musk Twitter. Might not work—and the government/big media will try to destroy his efforts—but if you want to avoid authoritarian government, you might want to pull for Musk’s success.

AG Jeff Landry
@AGJeffLandry
Nov 23
This is what happens when @elonmusk frees @Twitter

AG Jeff Landry
@AGJeffLandry
Nov 23
Wow! It was amazing to spend 7 hours with Dr. Fauci. The man who single-handedly wrecked the U.S. economy based upon "the science." Only to discover that he can't recall practically anything dealing with his Covid response!

AG Jeff Landry
@AGJeffLandry
Nov 22
Tomorrow, @AGEricSchmitt and I will depose Dr. Fauci. I hope to find out how involved #Fauci was in the censorship of the American people during the #COVID pandemic
Lash

Sat 26 Nov, 2022 12:28 pm
Aaron Kheriaty, MD
@akheriaty
Nov 1
One year ago today, @UCIrvineSOM placed me on unpaid suspension after I challenged the UC vaccine mandate in federal court. They fired me the following month. Today I published this book. https://amazon.com/dp/1684513855/
The New Abnormal: The Rise of the Biomedical Security State
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 26 Nov, 2022 12:32 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Americans who believe in truth, honesty, and transparency in government will be pissed. The real disinformation misinformation looks like this.

https://youtu.be/dM2wEQ8br_w
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Sat 26 Nov, 2022 06:09 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

AG Jeff Landry
@AGJeffLandry
Nov 23
Wow! It was amazing to spend 7 hours with Dr. Fauci. The man who single-handedly wrecked the U.S. economy based upon "the science." Only to discover that he can't recall practically anything dealing with his Covid response!

1.09 million deaths are NOT due to Dr. Fauci. Blaming an ailing economy on a person instead of an infectious, deadly disease is wrong.
Lash

Sat 26 Nov, 2022 06:33 pm
@neptuneblue,
Fauci botched the US response to Covid. As the highest paid, highest placed science advisor to the president, he recommended a nationwide shutdown, then later said he didn’t. He was wrong about everything. Considering his very likely role in the creation and proliferation of the initial virus, I’m comfortable saying he should be in prison.

He profited from Covid.
Real Music

Sat 26 Nov, 2022 06:55 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Fauci botched the US response to Covid.

1. Is this your opinion or someone else's opinion?
2. If this is someone else's opinion, who's opinion are you referring to?

Quote:
As the highest paid, highest placed science advisor to the president, he recommended a nationwide shutdown, then later said he didn’t.

1. What is the source of this (specific) assertion/accusation?
2. Are you spreading disinformation?

Quote:
He was wrong about (everything).

1. This is clearly your own opinion.
2. My opinion differs from yours.
0 Replies

Real Music

Sat 26 Nov, 2022 08:46 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Considering his very likely role in the creation and proliferation of the initial virus, I’m comfortable saying he should be in prison.

He profited from Covid.

Are you spreading disinformation?
Real Music

Sat 26 Nov, 2022 09:04 pm
@Lash,
1. Your (entire) last post sounds like something that Marjorie Taylor Greene herself would have posted.

2. Let me reiterate, I am referring to your whole entire last post.

3. Every word and every sentence of your last post.
neptuneblue

Sat 26 Nov, 2022 09:58 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Fauci botched the US response to Covid. As the highest paid, highest placed science advisor to the president, he recommended a nationwide shutdown, then later said he didn’t. He was wrong about everything. Considering his very likely role in the creation and proliferation of the initial virus, I’m comfortable saying he should be in prison.

He profited from Covid.

Actually I believe it was you who pointed out Trump was a rogue character, not listening to the best and notable advise from people who could guide him. So now, apparently, the fault lies on a science advisor, whose boss wouldn't listen, take advise or implement strategic policies that the entire world followed.

The millions of people that listened to Trump, rather than the foremost science advisor, refused to social distance, wear a mask or take a vaccine.

And somehow that science advisor should take the fall for it.

No, that's not how any of this goes.
Brandon9000

Sat 26 Nov, 2022 10:48 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
The millions of people that listened to Trump, rather than the foremost science advisor, refused to social distance, wear a mask or take a vaccine.

Could you post a link to Trump criticizing social distancing, wearing a mask, or taking a vaccine? It's kind of a weird charge, since Trump went to a lot of trouble to get the vaccine out quickly. I'll be waiting for the link.