Rising fascism in the US

izzythepush

Sun 6 Nov, 2022 11:40 am
@Mame,
Those who fetishise free speech never can.
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 6 Nov, 2022 11:45 am
In 1966 James Meredith embarked on a solo "March Against Fear" from Memphis to Jackson, Mississippi. On the second day he was shot and severely wounded. I remember the initial news report very distinctly, and it said he was shot dead. Initial reports can be incorrect. Media accounts themselves are not "evidence".
Mame

Sun 6 Nov, 2022 12:01 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Initial reports can be incorrect. Media accounts themselves are not "evidence".

Absolutely - when does one ever get the whole truth?
izzythepush

Sun 6 Nov, 2022 12:03 pm
@Mame,
First one has to be interested in it.

So many only care about confirming existing prejudices and dismissing everything else.
Mame

Sun 6 Nov, 2022 12:14 pm
@izzythepush,
Viewing the world as a soap opera, which is how I view it, one reads 'reports' in a different light, i.e. how much is credible, how much is drama, etc. Just look at the melodramatic actors currently/recently on stage, for example... Xi Jinpin, Kim Jong-Un, Putin, Lukashenko, Erdogan, Boris Johnson/Truss, MbS, the Taliban, Raisi, etc etc etc. It's a freaking gong show.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Sun 6 Nov, 2022 02:22 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Totally different venues. Rioting by marginalized members of a minority facing discrimination by society and victimization by cops in city neighborhoods versus middle-class Trump supporters, provoked by media lies and right-wing demagogues, attacking the seat of the federal government. It's a very different scenario, and it is much easier to clean the protestors out of a secured building than it is to round up loosely organized citizens running through the streets. Lindsay Graham warned about the violence which would follow an indictment of Trump. I imagine that any such violence would more closely resemble the George Floyd riots, only with MAGAtards committing the property crimes and skirmishing with the cops.

Are you actually justifying that some violence is ok, but only if it is by black people?
hightor

Sun 6 Nov, 2022 02:25 pm
@McGentrix,
No, I'm saying that violence was a common element in both civil disturbances. Are you actually saying violence is worse when used by non-white people?
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 6 Nov, 2022 02:26 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

First one has to be interested in it.

So many only care about confirming existing prejudices and dismissing everything else.

Boomerang 🪃 Watch out; it’s coming back at you! This happens SO MUCH here.

I’m the ONLY ONE here whose mind isn’t closed on this case.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 7 Nov, 2022 01:23 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Initial reports can be incorrect. Media accounts themselves are not "evidence".

We all know this. Lash knows this. We've all seen it play out countless times. Indeed any of us would be hard pressed to find an instance where the details of such an event have been reported without error. I can think of none.

Take Uvalde. Or take this example below.

Quote:
Nearly everyone reported so many things wrong in the first 24 hours after the Sandy Hook shootings that it's hard to single out any one news organization or reporter for criticism.

Among the news outlets that wrongly reported major parts of the journalistic building blocks of "who, what, where, when, why and how," were CBS, The Associated Press, The New York Times and NPR — a veritable honor roll of the mainstream media. Many of the reports relied on unnamed law enforcement officials, typically federal, or even the vaguer "the authorities," in at least one instance.

...For many journalists, the misguided stories fall under the rubric of the "fog of war" — the truism that first reports amid chaos are likely to be the least accurate. It's true and yet has cloaked many a journalistic sin over the years. But even in the pre-Internet age, journalists have also been badly mistaken.
HERE
Lash

Mon 7 Nov, 2022 05:43 am
@blatham,
But, after a week, the current narrative of this Pelosi event cannot have happened the way it’s being reported.

Also, what about Uvalde?
How did the facts differ from initial reports?
neptuneblue

Mon 7 Nov, 2022 06:06 am
@Lash,
The current narrative is the same as the day it was reported.

An 84 year old man was attacked with a hammer in his own home.

hightor

Mon 7 Nov, 2022 06:19 am
@Lash,
Quote:
How did the facts differ from initial reports?

For one thing, initial reports claimed the police engaged in a firefight with the shooter before he entered the school. And we certainly weren't told that over three hundred law enforcement agents were there for an hour before the shooter was confronted.

Let this sink in:

Lash

Mon 7 Nov, 2022 06:20 am
@neptuneblue,
I know establishment democrats are trained by their masters to avoid facts that don’t fit their preferred version of events—sort of like thumbing down, gaslighting, and ignoring or talking over facts that hurt your storyline—but the Pelosi story has most definitely changed.
Lash

Mon 7 Nov, 2022 06:26 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Let this sink in:

That detail, which I currently accept, doesn’t negate the baffling inconsistencies of other details. You people should just accept that. Release of security footage during just a couple of pivotal moments would put this story to bed.
(Btw, 82)
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Mon 7 Nov, 2022 06:30 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I know establishment democrats are trained by their masters to avoid facts that don’t fit their preferred version of events—sort of like thumbing down, gaslighting, and ignoring or talking over facts that hurt your storyline—but the Pelosi story has most definitely changed.

Oh, so Paul Pelosi wasn't attacked with a hammer in his own home?

Lash, you need better sources if you believe that isn't true.
Lash

Mon 7 Nov, 2022 06:32 am
@neptuneblue,
Let’s see…. Straw man, intellectually dishonesty…. I’ll get out the book of fallacies and complete my dismissal of your avoidant poppycock. You have a weird little fallacy of bifurcation going on as well.
neptuneblue

Mon 7 Nov, 2022 06:36 am
@Lash,
You're playing fast and loose with intellectual integrity.
Lash

Mon 7 Nov, 2022 06:38 am
@neptuneblue,
I’m a plain-speaking honest speaker pulling no punches.
You have an overriding agenda and refuse to honestly entertain my statements.

You are a bad faith actor in this conversation. You have lots of company.

BrendanG

Mon 7 Nov, 2022 08:01 pm
@Lash,
Fascism is not what is happening to this country. Fascism is the solution to these problems, the same as it was in Germany. Democracy and plutocracy have always been the same. Democracy is working exactly as intended by the plutocrats. Since the people in the USA are no longer independent enough to rule themselves, they are ruled in secret by plutocrats through the democratic process. If you don't like this, the only solution is honest, naked, FORCE.

Currently, if you say that there are biological differences between men and women, you will be called a fascist. But "fascism" has been a derogatory term for "truth" from the beginning. For instance, I could say that the NYT has been coming out with articles about holocausts of 6 million Jews since 1905, and some would call it fascist because it is true.
Lash

Mon 7 Nov, 2022 09:40 pm
@BrendanG,
Brendan, I’m going to have to put you on the permanent kybosh for that filthy business.

Please stop hating humanity, but do that elsewhere.

Padre Hijo y el Espiritu Santo