Rising fascism in the US

Lash

Tue 3 May, 2022 10:44 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

The thing is, in the USA we notice when "police state" tactics are employed because they are dramatic, violent, and rarely used.

Ask a black friend about that. Happens every day to a segment of our society. We’re being conditioned to expect it. Soon, more of us will experience it.

No knock search and seizure, held without bail or charge, stop and frisk,…
Also, the rest of that list of 10? Seems like you’re expending significant energy to ignore it.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 3 May, 2022 10:51 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
I never said anything about what we should do, so your irrelevant toenail comment isn't really apt.

Thanks for the Masters in Quibbling pro tip. You’re the king.
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 3 May, 2022 11:33 am
Quote:
Ask a black friend about that. Happens every day to a segment of our society.

Which is why I pointed out that "heavy-handed tactics which restrict individual freedom are characteristically employed by the state when conditions of lawlessness arise and property destruction occurs." These conditions are normally found in high crime/low income communities with heavy population density.
Quote:
Soon, more of us will experience it.

You're probably right, as civilization is looking more and more tenuous every passing day. Shortages of food and fertilizer are on the horizon. There's a housing shortage. Income inequality is at obscene levels. "When the looting starts, the shooting starts."
Quote:
Seems like you’re expending significant energy to ignore it.

It takes no energy to ignore a post. The article is ten years old but I agree with his concluding words, "Dishonesty from politicians is nothing new for Americans. The real question is whether we are lying to ourselves when we call this country the land of the free."
Which is why I never use that characterization.

************************************************************************************************************************************************

This Is What a World Collapsing Into Fascism Looks Like

Remember When I Used to Warn You About It? Take a Hard Look Around the World.

Quote:
Want to know why the world is messed up? The reason is simple, though it will make many Americans angry at me for even saying it.

Just as I predicted, over and over again, capitalism is imploding into fascism. Before us we have two indisputable examples — Elon Musk’s takeover of Twitter, and the globe on the brink of another World War, by way of fascism resurgent.

My predictions — and my warnings — fell, ironically, predictably too, on deaf ears. And so I stopped issuing them. Americans, in particular, would get remarkably, aggressively defensive about this point. But let me try again — perhaps by now our consciousness has matured a little bit. Or maybe not.

Capitalism. Americans think that it’s all business and all commerce. It’s not. The average small business owner is not a capitalist. Capitalism is a system of mega-corporations and hedge funds and billionaires and banks being bailed out. It has literally nothing to do with the average small business, it never touches it. My local baker and brewer aren’t capitalists. They don’t earn a living from capital income — which is what a capitalist is — they just draw a salary. They’re proles, in hock to the bank. Not capitalists.

Capitalism is not everyday business and commerce. That’s been around since civilization began. Capitalism is a modern affair. It’s stock markets and mega-bonuses and CEOs making $50 million for not much, it’s the average job in America paying less than $30K. The number of capitalists — people who actually live off of capital income — in the economy is tiny: less than one percent. The rest of us are just proles. The problem is that in America, people genuinely believe they’re capitalists, when they’re no such thing at all — and so of course they don’t grasp how their society, and this world, is falling apart now. This too is a feature of capitalism, by the way, one called “false consciousness.”

So when I warn, predict, that capitalism is imploding into fascism, it doesn’t mean something like “my dry cleaner and baker are Nazis!!” What does it mean? It means something structural, institutional, a set of social forces, shaped by inequality and despair and extremism. Let’s do our first example now that we have some context.

You couldn’t possibly — possibly — have a better example of capitalism imploding into fascism than Elon Musk’s hostile takeover of Twitter. There are those who are still like “just give the guy a chance!!” Meanwhile, he’s tweeting things like “the Democratic Party has been hijacked by extremists,” or sending false charts of the Overton Window shifting left. The Democratic Party can’t even raise the minimum wage. Captured by extremists? In global terms, it’s a right wing party. It’s more conservative than every single major conservative party in Canada and Europe — all of whom still support, for example, public healthcare and education and media and so forth.

What is Musk doing? Well, he’s used his money and power to acquire the world’s digital town square. It didn’t want to be acquired. After a difficult period, it was getting better. For the rest of us. Less abuse, less harassment, less Russian propaganda designed to infiltrate minds, less disinformation, less fanaticism.

And that was exactly the problem to Musk. Sorry, you’re not allowed to have this. You’re not allowed to have a public space. No sense of community and solidarity and concern for each other is to happen. You’re just commodities. And you’re going to do what I say.

“Free speech” is under attack from an “extremist” left, which has “hijacked” society. None of this is remotely true. Yes, wokeness is annoying, childish, and irritating often. But who’s banning books? Who’s trying to stop kids learning about gay people? Who’s trying to stop women from leaving their states? Who’s trying to make it a crime for women to even discuss their bodily autonomy? Who’s criminalising not just speech, but even thought and intent? The right is, obviously.

That is exactly why America is now ranked as a “flawed democracy” — because it has slid way, way far to the right, off the precipice of full democracy. We all know this. Nobody doesn’t know this. Even the far right knows this. But to keep shifting society — and the Overton Window — even further right — it plays this game. Of bad faith. Hey! We’re doing it for your own good. You’re the real extremists! We’re just defending free speech. Wait…by banning books? By banning gay people’s self-expression? By empowering hateful fanatics to attack the rest of us, send us rape and death threats, so that we’re too afraid, exasperated, exhausted to speak? Bad faith. It’s a hallmark of fascists.

Musks’ vision for Twitter becomes clearer by the hour, if not the day. He doesn’t respond to anyone on the center. He tweets what can only be described as laughable propaganda. He does all this to signal to the far right that Twitter is theirs now. He bought it for them. The rules are to be rolled back, the gloves can come off. Here’s your playground. Use it to bash anyone you don’t like. Want to do some gay-bashing today? Go for it. Want to send a woman a rape threat? Go right ahead! Want to assault a kid? Smear someone as a pedophile? Destroy a reputation? A life? Excellent!

Aggression, rage, hostility, and hate rule, because there are no rules. Might makes right. The vulnerable are to be punished. The “left” is the real problem, even if it’s so powerless that it can’t even pass a minimum wage. It’s taking our rights away — so we have to get it, attack it, abuse it, intimidate it. Wait, who’s “the left”? Why, everyone that says “gay.” Kids who want to read books. Women. Anyone who supports not abusing them, man, woman, or child. What does that sound like? Fascism.

You could not have a better example of capitalism imploding — literally could not — than Elon Musk buying Twitter for the far right to turn a public space into a gallows.
Now, it’s to be a place where the rest of us are made examples of. So that society;’s norms change. Don’t say that. Don’t express that. Don’t associate with that person. They’ll get you. They’ll make an example of you.

This is how you break a society. You send a morality police into its public spaces, you turn people into vigilante informants. Iran has one. They slap women’s ankles. What are Elon Musk’s vigilante-informants — all those sad gamer-desk incel guys who rage at women for not dating them — going to do? They’re going to go after women with a vengeance. What are all those religious and supremacist fanatics who want to ban books, words, ideas going to do now? They’re going to hound and harass abuse people, just for being gay, or saying forbidden words, or discussing ideas. This is how you break a society.

By the way, when wokers attack you for not saying “pregnant person,” It doesn’t help. It makes both sides feel the same. In a sense, they are. None of that should be OK.

You capture a society’s public institutions — and you hand them to the far right. That is one key way capitalism implodes into fascism. Twitter is just that now — a playground for the far right, and the increasingly ridiculous tweets Musk sends are designed to let the far right know it belongs to them now. Think about how odious all this really is for a second — a billionaire just bought the world’s digital town square, and just as many feared, is now telling the far right, “here, this is a present for you.”

That’s why every kind of repulsive person is now salivating at being let off the leash again.

Here’s my second example, which again, is an eminently obvious one. The world. Why is it on the brink of World War again, or at least heading back that way? Because the global economy is basically the 1930s, all over again.

The global economy works like this. America and Europe consume. Russia provides resources. China manufactures them. India coordinates. Now. What happened to global politics over the last decade or two? All of these places, almost, began to go fascist. America, Trumpism, China, Xi, India, Modi’s hyper-fanaticism, Russia, Putinism, Europe, various strains of neo-fascism.

That wasn’t one of history’s biggest coincidences. It was a relationship. In all these countries, inequality spiralled out of control. Oligarchs and billionaires — rich enough to buy entire towns and cities — emerged. Meanwhile, the average person struggled to make ends meet. Even if they made more money, costs went up faster. Healthy middle classes never developed — or in America’s case, fell apart. A sense of despair and hopelessness began to pervade society. And demagogues arose who provided these societies scapegoats to aim their rage at.

Today, the world is a giant game of musical chairs…for scapegoats. Brits scapegoat Europeans, who scapegoat refugees, who flee from countries like Ukraine, who are scapegoats for Russia. India and China scapegoat Muslims, the West, anybody they don’t like. On and on it goes. And it’s growing. Trumpism scapegoated Mexicans and Latinos — but today, the GOP literally scapegoats teachers and kids and parents. Just average teachers. Kids. Parents.

Worlds head back to war just this way. When searches for scapegoats reach terminal velocity. You find a scapegoat, and now a demagogue says: you need to kill them. Not just wars between countries, but even wars within countries. Civil wars. America had the foreshadowing of one on Jan 6th. What if it had succeeded? The plan was to declare “Marshall” law, as Marjorie Taylor Greene so memorably put it. Yes, they’re actual fascists — and idiots, to boot.

The world is on a knife edge because capitalism failed. As what Immanuel Wallerstein would have called a “world system.” A way to order the world. It fell prey to its structural flaw: the rich got mega, mega richer — but only by fleecing the middle and working classes. Those masses, left in despair, rage, and hopelessness — they needed somewhere to put it. Hey, presto — along game a set of demagogues, around the world, at exactly the same time, who redirected those feelings at scapegoats, because of course it’s far easier to punch down at the already hated.

This is exactly — exactly — what happened in the 1930s. We are living through a repeat of history. And it’s so far advanced now that a second wave of demagogues is emerging. Trump, Modi, Xi, Putin — the first wave. The second wave is made of tycoons aspiring to become true political demagogues — like Musk, or the various idiot techno-magnates who, amazingly, idiotically, basically want to use technology to make society to revert to the Dark Ages, in a stroke of irony so grand it’s laughable.

This is the 1930s, only with iPhones and global mega-communications. That is why things like Elon Musk acquiring Twitter for the far right matter — because they deliberately destabilise the already precarious state of the world. The world is on a razor’s edge, and maniacs like this want to tip it off.

What really changed in the 1930s? People grew poor. And it became, in the name of survival, OK to hurt people. First a little bit. Then a very great deal. As groups. To the point of genocide. Americans’ real income has fallen 4% compared to where it should have been. Elon Musk is making it OK to hurt people. Russia’s carrying out horrific atrocities in Ukraine.

These things aren’t a coincidence. They’re a pattern.

This is a civilization falling apart, repeating history, fascism rising, and its jaws slavering for…the rest of us.

medium

Frank Apisa

Tue 3 May, 2022 12:11 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Lash, you seem committed to making this into some sort of personal argument...(snip)...I never said anything about what we should do, so your irrelevant toenail comment isn't really apt.

Most of this stuff isn't really apt, Hightor.

The thing I questioned Lash about was her assertion, "The things that make us truly free aren’t available to most citizens, tho."

I asked her to give an indication of "the things that make us truly free" but which "aren't available to most citizens."

She never actually answered it...and instead indicated she just did not want to converse with me.

I still wonder what those things are.

Maybe you will have more luck finding out what she meant.
0 Replies

vikorr

Tue 3 May, 2022 03:28 pm
As a general observation broadly related to the rise in fascism - there is a general rise in extremism (of any type) in Western Countries, which seem to me to generally be a result of:
- loss of trust in the legislative branch of government (seeing they are so often lying, sometimes openly so)
- less trust in the executive branch, like the justice system
- loss of trust in News (seeing News is no longer investigative, but vastly - specific perspective presentations designed to rouse emotions)
- less trust in economics (corporate greed, growing divide between rich and poor)
- a detiorating environment
- a focus on individual rights (without an equal focus on community rights)

In such an environment, I would expect nothing less than a growth in extremism, by people that go 'there is something seriously wrong in my world'. The thing about extremism is that it's biggest recruitment base includes those those who have lost trust in the world around them and are trying to make life really simple for themselves (which generally, are the simpler people in life, though sometimes smart people who don't know who they are)

In a State where there is rising extremism, I would expect nothing less than increased State capability to ensure the rising extremism isn't a danger to society. The question I ask myself though is maybe an odd one - is the 'solution' good for democracy. As far as I can see, it is the only question that can't be misused, and it is the only question that ensures the long term survival of a democracy (long term as in multiple centuries on)

My view is the way the world is headed is hazardous to the survival of democracy, and if it doesn't return to an open, honest system, with representation of it's people at its heart, it won't survive (whether that be in 50, 100, or 250 years, I don't know)

That all is to say - rising fascism is an expected outcome of where the world has been heading. And I phrase them as concerns. And I see them as relating to human nature, rather than any organised movement. This is to say I think too many people argue the individual issues, rather than the overall direction human nature is taking us.
hightor

Tue 3 May, 2022 03:57 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
That all is to say - rising fascism is an expected outcome of where the world has been heading.

I couldn't agree with you more. And the climate crisis will exacerbate every possible vector of civil upheaval. Your whole post is right on target.
Mame

Tue 3 May, 2022 04:38 pm
@hightor,
Interesting days ahead.
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 4 May, 2022 04:39 am
Partisan Fight Breaks Out Over New Disinformation Board

The board, an advisory group with the Department of Homeland Security, has become embroiled in the debate over the government’s role in policing online content.

Quote:
Nina Jankowicz’s new book, “How to Be a Woman Online,” chronicles the vitriol she and other women have faced from trolls and other malign actors. She’s now at the center of a new firestorm of criticism, this time over her appointment to lead an advisory board at the Department of Homeland Security on the threat of disinformation.

The creation of a board, announced last week, has turned into a partisan fight over disinformation itself — and what role, if any, the government should have in policing false, at times toxic, and even violent content online.

Within hours of the announcement, Republican lawmakers began railing against the board as Orwellian, accusing the Biden administration of creating a “Ministry of Truth” to police people’s thoughts. Two professors writing an opinion column in The Wall Street Journal noted that the abbreviation for the new Disinformation Governance Board was only “one letter off from K.G.B.,” the Soviet Union’s security service.

Alejandro N. Mayorkas, the secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, has found himself on the defensive. In a television interview on CNN on Sunday, he insisted that the new board was a small group, that it had no operational authority or capability and that it would not spy on Americans.

“We in the Department of Homeland Security don’t monitor American citizens,” he said.

Mr. Mayorkas’s reassurance did little to quell the furor, underscoring how partisan the debate over disinformation has become. Facing a round of questions about the board on Monday, the White House press secretary, Jen Psaki, said it represented a continuation of work that the department’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency had begun in 2020, under the previous administration.

Its focus is to coordinate the department’s response to the potential impacts of disinformation threats — including foreign election influence, like Russia’s in 2016 and again in 2020; efforts by smugglers to encourage migrants to cross the border; and online posts that could incite extremist attacks. Ms. Psaki did not elaborate on how the department would define what constituted extremist content online. She said the board would consider making public its findings on disinformation, although “a lot of this work is really about work that people may not see every day that’s ongoing by the Department of Homeland Security.”

Many of those criticizing the board scoured Ms. Jankowicz’s past statements, online and off, accusing her of being hostile to conservative viewpoints. They suggested — without basis — that she would stifle legally protected speech using a partisan calculus.

Two ranking Republicans on the House committees on intelligence and homeland security — Michael R. Turner of Ohio and John Katko of New York — cited recent comments she made about the laptops of Hunter Biden, the president’s son, and about Elon Musk’s bid to purchase Twitter as evidence of bias.

Ms. Jankowicz, 33, has suggested in her book and in public statements that condescending and misogynistic content online can prelude violence and other unlawful acts offline — the kinds of threat the board was created to monitor. Her book cites research into virulent reactions that prominent women have faced, including Vice President Kamala Harris after her nomination in 2020.

Ms. Jankowicz has called for social media companies and law enforcement agencies to take stiffer action against online abuse. Such views have prompted warnings that the government should not police content online; it has also motivated Mr. Musk, who has said he wants to purchase Twitter to free its users from onerous restrictions that in his view violate freedom of speech.

“I shudder to think about, if free speech absolutists were taking over more platforms, what that would be like for the marginalized communities around the world, which are already shouldering so much of this abuse, disproportionate amounts of this abuse” Ms. Jankowicz told NPR in an interview last week about her new book, referring to those who experience attacks online, especially women and people of color.

A tweet she sent, using a portion of that quote, was cited by Mr. Turner and Mr. Katko in their letter to Mr. Mayorkas. The note requested “all documents and communications” about the creation of the board and Ms. Jankowicz’s appointment as its executive director.

The board quietly began work two months ago, staffed part time by officials from other parts of the large department. The Homeland Security Department made the decision to form the board last year after it completed a study in the summer that recommended establishing a group to review questions of privacy and civil liberty for online content, according to John Cohen, the former acting head of the department’s intelligence branch.

“And making sure that when the department’s components are doing that analysis, they’re operating in a manner consistent with their authorities,” Mr. Cohen, who left the administration last month, said in an interview.

Mr. Cohen pushed back on claims that the group would be policing language online.

“It’s not a big room with feeds from Facebook and Twitter popping up,” Mr. Cohen said. “It looks at policy issues, it looks at best practices, it looks at academic research relating to how disinformation influences the threat environment.”

After studying policy questions, the board is then supposed to submit guidance to the homeland security secretary for how different agencies should conduct analysis of online content while protecting the civil liberties of Americans, and how widely the findings of that analysis can be shared.

According to a statement released on Monday, the department said the board would monitor “disinformation spread by foreign states such as Russia, China and Iran, or other adversaries such as transnational criminal organizations and human smuggling organizations.” The statement also cited disinformation that can spread during natural disasters, like false information about the safety of drinking water during Hurricane Sandy in 2012.

It’s not the first time the Department of Homeland Security has moved to identify disinformation as a threat facing the homeland. The department joined the F.B.I. in releasing terrorism bulletins warning that falsehoods about the 2020 election and the Capitol riots on Jan. 6, 2021, could embolden domestic extremists.

Mr. Mayorkas has defended Ms. Jankowicz, calling her “a renowned expert” who was “eminently qualified” to advise the department on security threats that germinate in the fecund atmosphere online. At the same time, he acknowledged mishandling the announcement of the board — made in a simple press statement last week.

“I think we probably could have done a better job of communicating what it does and does not do,” he told CNN.

Ms. Jankowicz has been a familiar commentator on disinformation for years. She has worked for the National Democratic Institute, an affiliate of the National Endowment for Democracy that promotes democratic governance abroad, and served as a fellow at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington.

As a Fulbright fellow, she worked as an adviser to the Ukrainian government in 2017. Her 2020 book, “How to Lose the Information War: Russia, Fake News and the Future of Conflict,” focused on Russia’s weaponization of information. It warned that governments were ill prepared and ill equipped to counteract disinformation.

A quote posted on her biography on the Wilson Center’s website underscores the challenges for those who would fight disinformation.

“Disinformation is not a partisan problem; it’s a democratic one, and it will take cooperation — cross-party, cross-sector, cross-government, and cross-border — to defeat,” it says.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 4 May, 2022 06:54 am
I was talking on the phone yesterday, had a random thought I’d never had before, and expressed it. Suggested a fishing trip. I mentioned a couple of specific locations.

I’d never texted this before. Never searched related info.

Today, I’m getting multiple ads about cabins near streams and fishing resorts in those specific locations.

You may be conditioned to surveillance. I will never be.

It is a violation of my freedom. Someone is monitoring my personal conversations without my permission.
hightor

Wed 4 May, 2022 07:17 am
@Lash,

Quote:
It is a violation of my freedom. Someone is monitoring my personal conversations without my permission.

But it's not the government. Nor is it a person. This is what I mean about the loss of freedom due to the internet, as opposed to the government repression. Yup, the government might bundle you into an unmarked vehicle and take you somewhere for questioning. Very scary. Very much a "police state" tactic. And we, rightly, get upset about this. Meanwhile Silicon Valley is changing our economy and culture, tracking us with algorithms, replacing our jobs with robots, destroying small businesses right and left – and we can't wait for our next Amazon delivery. In many schools curricula have been changed to supply the needs of the big tech companies – in with coding and out with home economics and shop and probably Shakespeare. Watch as the fleets of driver-less trucks leave tens of thousands of human drivers unemployed – how come we never get a chance to vote on this stuff? It's basically being shoved down our throats. Meanwhile, back home it's, "Alexa, turn on the football game." It's insidious and apparently unstoppable.
revelette1

Wed 4 May, 2022 07:30 am
@hightor,
Wonderful, thoughtful piece. Thank you for bringing it. I'll try to be following him.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Wed 4 May, 2022 07:33 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

But it's not the government. Nor is it a person.

Gotta be honest, this is the first time I have ever heard of anything like what Lash spoke of here. How in the hell can any company "monitor" what you say on the phone to someone else...on a commercial scale?

I've searched for things on the Internet and within a minute started getting ads for those things when going to (for instance) JPP, but never had an incident where it has happened because of a phone call.

Is this something actually happening, or is this one of those fantasy things?

By the way, I more often find the ad that come as a result of an Internet search helpful, than an intrusion. Sometimes an ad comes with an idea that I had not even considered.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 4 May, 2022 07:34 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I know that (here) phone calls can be monitored, but only with a court ruling.

It's really more than just surprising that in the USA this can be done for advertising.

[In a town in Saxony-Anhalt, the mayor is now facing several criminal charges because she is said to have tried to "saddle herself up" to her employees' official telephone calls (it didn't work out for various reasons, including the advice of the data protection commissioner).]
revelette1

Wed 4 May, 2022 07:40 am
Perhaps it is only now starting. The other day, I was texting my daughter, and we were talking about allergies and the pollen this year. Next thing I know, I get a text about allergies. I need to put an anti spyware on my phone I guess.
Lash

Wed 4 May, 2022 07:41 am
@Walter Hinteler,
At this point, I’m very appreciative that someone acknowledges that
1. It’s happening and
2. It’s surprising

Thank you.

I’d love to get an

3. It shouldn’t be legally allowed and
4. It should be investigated and prosecuted.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 4 May, 2022 07:43 am
@revelette1,
The government allows it.
I believe Big Tech is employed by our government to do it.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 4 May, 2022 07:49 am
@hightor,
The government allows it=fact.
The government is in the surveillance business with Big Tech=Let’s see if I can prove it.

I bet my life on it.

These things don’t happen in a vacuum.
Frank Apisa

Wed 4 May, 2022 07:53 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Perhaps it is only now starting. The other day, I was texting my daughter, and we were talking about allergies and the pollen this year. Next thing I know, I get a text about allergies. I need to put an anti spyware on my phone I guess.

This is actually happening???

Who texted you with allergy info after your text to your daughter? They had to be trying to sell you something...so remaining anonymous seems out-of-the-question. That information should be given to authorities for investigation.
Lash

Wed 4 May, 2022 07:55 am
Didn’t take long.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1233171

Thousands of contracts highlight quiet ties between Big Tech and U.S. military
The report offers a new window into the relationship between tech companies and the U.S. government, as well as an important detail about why such contracts are often difficult to find.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Wed 4 May, 2022 07:55 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

The government allows it=fact.
The government is in the surveillance business with Big Tech=Let’s see if I can prove it.

I bet my life on it.

These things don’t happen in a vacuum.