Rising fascism in the US

blatham

Wed 12 Jan, 2022 10:11 pm
@glitterbag,
No, I'm not sure that she's broken laws either. And of course you're quite correct in noting that Pelosi has long been a target for the right not merely because of her high profile position in the party but also because of her competence. I do disagree with her statement re "free enterprise" society if I understand her meaning there correctly. The privileged position of holding knowledge others don't have access to ought not to be utilized for personal gain. And I think we ought to consider the likelihood that she used that phrasing as a poke in the eye to right wing economic ideas and claims and their worship of the profit-taking ethos.

And you're also correct in noting the case of McConnell and wife (though those two have been taken to task for profiteering along with others like DeVos).

I just added a little PS addendum to my earlier post.
blatham

Wed 12 Jan, 2022 10:37 pm
Quote:
Jon Ossoff
@ossoff
4h
Tonight I introduced legislation to ban Members of Congress (and our spouses) from trading stocks.

3/4 of Americans agree!
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 12 Jan, 2022 10:50 pm
@blatham,
I guess my real issue is that Pelosi's husband is the true 'wage' earner in the family. Don't get me wrong, Nancy came from a very well regarded family in Baltimore (Dad was a congressman and later the Mayor of Baltimore; her brother was also the Mayor of Baltimore but didn't choose to run for a second term). People here loved the D'Alesandro family and they worked hard for Maryland citizens.

Nancy went off to college, got married, raised 5 children before she even thought of public office for herself. I doubt her history is crystal clean but compared to the mugwumps she has to deal with..................she's a frigging saint, and holy crap she can organize. I think she is the only elected official in D.C. who actually took on Donald Trump to his face. One one occasion she described one of his personal insult fests as a tantrum, she said she raised 5 children and knows exactly what a tantrum looks like. She might also be the only one ever recorded telling Trump to his fat face that 'everything with you leads right back to Russia', I think I fell in love with her right then and there.
blatham

Thu 13 Jan, 2022 01:44 am
@glitterbag,
I'm with you. I love the lady.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 13 Jan, 2022 01:54 am
There are many individuals who hold a right wing political stance who have been posting on A2K for years who've never been banned. You keep getting banned for other reasons. Your post I'm responding to is a rather perfect example.
glitterbag

Thu 13 Jan, 2022 02:01 am
@blatham,
Maybe it would have helped if he read the terms you agree to when you sign up with A2K. Or his mother could read it and explain it to him. Whatever helps.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 13 Jan, 2022 02:02 am
@blatham,
@ Dog... And the posts following.

You're playing a loosing game with incivility and personal insults. That's what gets you banned. And that, along with a lack of care in reasoning inevitably results in no one finding any reason to discuss issues with you.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 13 Jan, 2022 02:52 am
I've found putting it on a thread like this to be most effective.

I think it's nono, he was banned for a while, and send me an offensive pm the minute his ban was up resulting in another ban.

He spent all his time whining about how he get a girlfriend because he had a face like a dog's arse and made people's flesh creep.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 13 Jan, 2022 03:29 am
Whoever he is, I hope he learns that his anger hurts him most of all.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 13 Jan, 2022 03:47 am
Since you're a "Member since January 13, 2022" - how do you know?

But seriously: posting not only anonymously but with different names after being banned that's quite a character!
0 Replies

BillW

Thu 13 Jan, 2022 02:22 pm
Somebody(ies) have been charged, now let's see it go up the ladder! Justice takes takes time; anarchy when enacted, works on "planned" spontaneity. One is democracy the other, revolutionary chaos.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Thu 13 Jan, 2022 02:40 pm
Hitler in Mein Kampf explains that telling a big lie is successful because people won't believe that you would tell a lie that is that big... such as you lose an election by 7 million votes, nevertheless, you say you won a historic landside victory. Some people are just not going to believe that you would tell a lie that was that big. The thing about a big lie... if you commit yourself to it, that means you're committing yourself to believing the leader who told it and also to the group that believes it...you're committing yourself to believing a conspiracy theory. It has to be a conspiracy theory because the lie that is told is against all the evidence in the world.
--Timothy Snyder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdHkkfB_7X0&feature=youtu.be
vikorr

Thu 13 Jan, 2022 03:37 pm
@coluber2001,
The Nazis also came up with the concept that if you tell a lie enough times, from enough different sources, that people will believe it to be the truth.

Despite most everyone knowing the basic concept of propaganda, it is amazing how effective it still is.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Tue 25 Jan, 2022 05:50 pm
"The entire Republican party has largely rejected democracy. They're putting up legislation in state after state where if the majority of people vote for a Democrat the Republicans can simply say, 'You know we just going to ignore the results of that election.'"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyrSYXvXzXs&feature=youtu.be
glitterbag

Wed 26 Jan, 2022 02:24 am
@coluber2001,
It's very sad. I do't understand what Trump has that scares them so badly. Who supplies Trump with the information that terrifies them.....................by the way Tucker Carlson believes we should be supporting Russia??????? Linger on that half a mo.
blatham

Wed 26 Jan, 2022 08:36 am
@glitterbag,
Carlson appears to have presidential aspirations.
blatham

Wed 26 Jan, 2022 05:21 pm
Thinking of the book suppression happening in Florida and elsewhere (in both schools and libraries) I'm wondering how long it will take before we see challenges to Fahrenheit 451, the Handmaid's Tale, Animal Farm and 1984 on the claim that a student or citizen was made to feel anxious and uncomfortable by those books' content.
BillW

Wed 26 Jan, 2022 07:52 pm
@blatham,
Book banning regarding actual history does not occur in a democracy. Of course, we have pointed out a number different situations in which the Republicans are/have abandoned democracy (including their judges).
blatham

Wed 26 Jan, 2022 09:16 pm
@BillW,
I'm afraid so. And, predictably, more instances are showing up.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 26 Jan, 2022 11:34 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Carlson appears to have presidential aspirations.

That's perfect, we've experienced the King of Absurdity and now can look forward to the King of the Weenies.
0 Replies