Rising fascism in the US

RABEL222

Tue 11 Jun, 2019 01:16 pm
Don't worry Lash. Your right to lie is protected by the 1st amendment.
oralloy

Tue 11 Jun, 2019 04:47 pm
@RABEL222,
I'm betting you cannot point out a single lie on her part.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 17 Jun, 2019 07:31 am
@Lash,
The protesters in Hong Kong have forced the Beijing-appointed Chief Executive Carrie Lam to table the extradition bill and apologize, but the crowds aren’t stopping yet.

There’s so much power in a general strike.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 17 Jun, 2019 07:54 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
There’s so much power in a general strike.
Although hundreds of protesters in Hong Kong gathered outside Chief Executive Carrie Lam's office, calls for a general strike today appear not to have been heeded.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 20 Jun, 2019 10:07 am
I don't think many are surprised.
https://www.npr.org/2019/06/19/734241210/72-philadelphia-police-officers-placed-on-desk-duty-over-offensive-social-media

Excerpt:
The Philadelphia Police Department has pulled 72 officers off their regular duties as authorities investigate inflammatory social media posts revealed in a database that found thousands of offensive postings by current and former officers, the city's police commissioner said Wednesday.

Police officials in Philadelphia are describing the action as the largest removal of officers from the street in recent memory.

"We are equally as disgusted by many of the posts that you saw and in many cases, the rest of the nation saw," said Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross.

It is the latest fallout since the advocacy group The Plain View Project earlier this month released thousands of Facebook posts and comments by current and former police officers that range from racist memes, to posts celebrating violence and messages containing Islamophobic themes, among other offensive material.

Since the data dump, internal affairs officials in police departments including Phoenix, St. Louis and Dallas are probing whether the distasteful and sometimes violent material should warrant disciplinary action or terminations.

In Philadelphia, Ross said Wednesday that at least "several dozen" of the 72 officers now on desk duty will be disciplined and others will be fired, but he did not provide specifics, including any of the names of those who have been taken off their regular duties.

Locally, someone I know woke up in the middle of the night, heard noises outside his home, grabbed his gun, went downstairs, saw flashlight light on his wall inside, and was shot four times by cops.

Inside his home.

Without being asked anything.

We have GOT to be much more prudent with the hiring process, the training process, and the yeah - the reassessment of police procedure.

Only one bullet was potentially life-threatening, and he's ok now. The lawsuit is coming. The cops told a different story.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 4 Jul, 2019 02:04 am
Beside the vilification of Julián Assange for his role in publicizing a whistleblower’s data is the attack’s on journalist Glenn Greenwald by Brazil.

Please pay attention. I’m concerned about what they will do to him.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/03/brazil-glenn-greenwald-investigation-outcry-bar-association-journalists

Outcry after reports Brazil plans to investigate Glenn Greenwald
Federal police reportedly asked money laundering unit to investigate the ‘financial activities’ of the US journalist

Dom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro
Wed 3 Jul 2019 14.41 EDT Last modified on Wed 3 Jul 2019 15.00 EDT

Brazil’s Bar Association, journalists and opposition lawmakers have reacted with outrage to reports that the country’s federal police plan to investigate the bank accounts of an American journalist who published leaked conversations between prosecutors and the graft-busting judge who is now Jair Bolsonaro’s justice minister.

The rightwing site the Antagonist (O Antagonista) reported on Tuesday that federal police had asked a money-laundering unit at Brazil’s finance ministry to investigate the “financial activities” of Glenn Greenwald.

Police declined to comment on the allegation but confirmed an investigation had been launched into the hacking of cellphones that led to the leaks.

“This seems to me like an attempt to intimidate the journalist,” said Kennedy Alencar, a leading political commentator on CBN Radio.

Brazil reels at claims judge who jailed Lula collaborated with prosecutors

“If there is an investigation for doing journalism it is illegal and it is an attempt at intimidation,” said Pierpaolo Bottini, a professor of penal law at the University of São Paulo who heads the press freedom unit at the Brazilian Bar Association.

Greenwald, who lives in Rio de Janeiro, won a Pulitzer prize for leading the Guardian’s reporting on National Security Agency (NSA) spying revealed by Edward Snowden before co-founding the Intercept website in 2014.
hightor

Thu 4 Jul, 2019 04:38 am
@Lash,
Jeezus — Bolsonaro's Brazil is not exactly a safe place for a gay investigative journalist...I'd suggest he get the hell out of there as fast as possible.
Lash

Thu 4 Jul, 2019 06:42 am
@hightor,
I wish he would while there’s still a chance, but I’m afraid he might be a stand and fight kinda guy. He’s one of the few journalists I trust.

I’m really worried.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Thu 4 Jul, 2019 09:05 am
@Lash,
Nobody has ever defined fascism, except that it involves military action to enforce the will of the legislature. Other than that it is just a hole in the page, a general purpose political insult.
Olivier5

Thu 4 Jul, 2019 10:53 am
@Jewels Vern,
Jewels Vern wrote:
Nobody has ever defined fascism

Mussolini, the inventor of fascim, wrote an extensive essay about what it is.

THE DOCTRINE OF FASCISM
BY BENITO MUSSOLINI (1932)

0 Replies

Olivier5

Thu 14 Nov, 2019 05:11 am
Quote:
Leaked emails reveal Trump aide Stephen Miller's white nationalist views
Exclusive: Miller’s messages with then Breitbart writer Katie McHugh attempted to steer the website’s coverage

The senior Trump adviser Stephen Miller promoted racist fears of demographic replacement of white people by non-whites, disseminated conspiracy theories positing a United Nations-inspired plan to colonize America, and implied a Mark Zuckerberg-sponsored bipartisan organization was promoting illegal voting, according to emails provided exclusively to the Guardian.

Like other emails revealed by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) this week, the messages were sent in an effort to shape Breitbart News coverage with conspiratorial, white nationalist-influenced ideas during the Trump campaign.

The emails were part of a correspondence with Katie McHugh, then a writer for the far-right website Breitbart. According to the SPLC, 80% of the emails in their 900-email correspondence were tightly focused on issues of race and immigration. ......

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/14/stephen-miller-leaked-emails-white-nationalism-trump
blatham

Thu 14 Nov, 2019 05:29 am
@Olivier5,
Yup. That guy is the real thing. No surprise that Trump hugs him tight.
blatham

Thu 14 Nov, 2019 05:32 am
@blatham,
Quote:
The FBI Says Violent Hate Crimes Have Surged To A 16-Year High. Activists Aren't Surprised.

“This report should sound an alarm that we all must do better to create a country where marginalized communities are safe and protected against hate violence."
BuzzFeed
0 Replies

livinglava

Thu 14 Nov, 2019 06:29 am
@Jewels Vern,
Jewels Vern wrote:

Nobody has ever defined fascism, except that it involves military action to enforce the will of the legislature. Other than that it is just a hole in the page, a general purpose political insult.

Fascism generally refers to power gained by bullying/violence and/or threat of violence. It also generally refers to collective violence, i.e. subjugating individuals to collectivist authoritarianism, which also brings with it disrespect for the individual, disrespect for dissent, intolerance for difference, authoritarian culture where anything besides shutting up and submitting to authority are met with irritation/anger/violence.

BillW

Thu 14 Nov, 2019 10:45 am
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:

Fascism generally refers to power gained by bullying/violence and/or threat of violence. It also generally refers to collective violence, i.e. subjugating individuals to collectivist authoritarianism, which also brings with it disrespect for the individual, disrespect for dissent, intolerance for difference, authoritarian culture where anything besides shutting up and submitting to authority are met with irritation/anger/violence.

Yep, description of current day tRump admin and republicanism as a whole, to a tee. Fascism is modern day republicanism!
Baldimo

Thu 14 Nov, 2019 11:16 am
@BillW,
Quote:
Yep, description of current day tRump admin and republicanism as a whole, to a tee. Fascism is modern day republicanism!

That's was really funny, I guess you are ignoring what is taking place on college campus's as well as all the violent protests done by left wing groups. The Dems are the one's who are fascists, they are following perfectly in the foot steps of the Brown Shirts.
izzythepush

Thu 14 Nov, 2019 12:56 pm
@BillW,
Livinglava has asked people to ponder the concept that segregation is natural and ordained by God.

He didn't go as far as saying it was, but if that's not fascist thinking I don't know what is.
farmerman

Thu 14 Nov, 2019 01:02 pm
@Baldimo,
typical fascism, when theyre found out they start calling everyone else a fascist. A college cant PULL the govts money, remember that.
Baldimo

Thu 14 Nov, 2019 01:07 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
typical fascism, when theyre found out they start calling everyone else a fascist. A college cant PULL the govts money, remember that.

Pulling money? That makes someone a fascist? Obama threatened to pull money from states on several occasions. Does that make Obama a fascist as well?

Walter Hinteler

Thu 14 Nov, 2019 01:34 pm
@Baldimo,
Obama said that segregation is natural and ordained by God and then threatened to pull money from states on several occasions?