Do Americans take Trump seriously?

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 05:37 pm
I'm an Italian 17 y/0 (don't tell me that your elections are not my business, I know it, but I'm intersted) and I've watched many of Trump's interviews and speeches. In many of them he talked about absurd things, such as building up walls and closing mosques (which, by the way, would go against the right of freedom of religion), and all of his supporters there, but also on the internet, were cheering him and celebrating by yelling and whistling. To me it felt like it wasn't serious and I thought it was more similar to a comedy that makes satyre about American habits rather than a political meeting. Are these Americans being serious? Do they really do their research when having to decide who the next ruler of the possibly most powerful country in the world is gonna be? I mean, this is some serious sh*t. And even if the proof of him telling lots of lies is shown in front of their faces they are not gonna believe it. Come on, he still thinks vaccines causes autism!
And if you say that Berlusconi is the same...you are wrong. He was not the head of the most powerful country on earth and his only interest was only pu$$y (can't blame him as a human, but can as a politician). What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 24 • Views: 10,095 • Replies: 199

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 05:46 pm
@alexpari1,
Alex, glad to see you here. Are you called Sandro there? None of my business, just that I've friends with that name.

I'm an elder american woman who has paid attention re Italy for decades. I know most of the bad stuff re both of our countries and, happen to care about both of them.

Look at my signature line, and you'll see what I think about Trump.
alexpari1

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 05:54 pm
@ossobuco,
Hello:) nice to see someone replying so politely on a hot topic like this
My real name is Alessandro but friends call me Ale by the way
roger

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 05:55 pm
@alexpari1,
Unfortunately, we have to take him seriously.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 05:55 pm
@alexpari1,
John Oliver wrote:
Donald Trump is America's back moleā€”it may have seemed harmless a year ago, but now that it has gotten frighteningly bigger, it is no longer wise to ignore it,

That pretty much explains how I feel about Trump.

BTW If I were to compare Trump with an Italian politician (and Italian voters are at least as erratic and absurd as American voters), I would choose Mussolini. Although Berlusconi used clownish machissimo and xenophobia to whip up popular support much as Trump is doing.

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 05:58 pm
@maxdancona,
I'm not sure how you did it, but you're spot on!

https://louisproyect.org/2016/03/06/who-is-the-italian-pol-trump-most-resembles-hint-it-is-not-mussolini/
Below viewing threshold (view)
ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 06:37 pm
@alexpari1,
We will probably talk more.

This is not my business, but, if you wish, tell me where you are located. No, nothing identifying - I've read too much. Snort - I love crime stuff re Bologna.

Oh, and I have been to Bologna., twice, Too short a time.

Never mind all that.

I would like knowing, somewhat, where you are.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 06:40 pm
@alexpari1,
Yes unfortunately Trump is coming...it seams half the America resonates with his bullshit.
0 Replies

alexpari1

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 06:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Rimini
ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 07:02 pm
@alexpari1,
Fellini.

I'm interested, whether we agree or not on points of view, over time. Glad you have showed up here.
0 Replies

alexpari1

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 07:04 pm
@oralloy,
I also know that other candidates are bad aswell (iknowhowyoufeel) but Trump is clearly the worst, yet he is still voted. You can vote him if you want to, Iam never gonna change your mind, I know that. Now that you make me think, in Italy we have a very similar politician called Salvini, he is a Trump supporter and his incredibly ignorant as he is, but in Italy 80% of the people think he is a joke, while here Trump is supported by maybe 40/50% of the people.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 07:42 pm
@alexpari1,
Donald Trump is not going to win. To understand this you need to understand that the United States is very divided into two competing parties.

Our conservatives (be careful, the US definitions of liberal and conservative don't strictly match European definitions) are represented by the Republican party. This includes people who support gun rights, conservative social values (think anti-abortion and anti-gay rights), and oppose immigration.

Our liberals are represented by the Republican party. This includes people who support civil rights (i.e. same sex marriage and protection for minorities), immigration and social programs.

Of course there are people in the middle... but Americans right now are pretty divided along these lines. For example there are very few people are are in favor of both gun rights and same sex marriage (although there is no reason for this).

In the past couple of decades, the American people have moved toward the Democrats, becoming more sensitive to minorities and even favoring same sex marriage. The Republicans have responded by going complete nuts. The most radical among them have become angrier and angrier. This has made more people in the middle move toward the Democrats which has accelerated this vicious cycle.

Now to the primaries (the part of the election that is happening right now).

We first have each party (the Democrats and the Republicans) vote separately to decide which person will represent each side in the grand final showdown.

Trump is winning for the Republicans... he is winning by being angry and loud. Being angry and loud is a very good way to get the votes of these Republicans who are already feeling the country move away from them. They started out angry, and Trump is doing a very good job feeding into this.

Of course, the country as a whole isn't like the Republican party. As a whole most of us are happy about same sex marriage and don't hate immigrants or think guns should be unregulated.

So don't worry, the Republicans are going crazy. We are basically witnessing the break down of a party that used to represent a broad right of center coalition but now is the party of angry crazy people.

Getting a majority of angry crazy people to vote for him is within Trump's grasp.

However, when Trump has to face the nation as a whole, he won't find there are enough angry crazy gun-nuts to vote him into office.

So yes, I am taking him seriously. I am sure as hell going to vote... and I am going to do all I can to get sane people I know in swing states (another American political oddity) to vote too. But honestly, I am not too worried.
engineer

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 08:59 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Our liberals are represented by the Republican party. This includes people who support civil rights (i.e. same sex marriage and protection for minorities), immigration and social programs.

He meant Democratic here.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 09:33 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Donald Trump is not going to win.

Except he is. The damage done to Mr. Obama's second term by the 2013 gun control debacle makes it a virtual certainty.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 09:43 pm
@oralloy,
Oralloy, I am keeping a list of all your predictions about this election. On November 9th we can over them. One of us will find this list amusing.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 09:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Perhaps not physically. But verbally?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 09:50 pm
@RABEL222,
Yes, verbal. If you strain your eyes, there's some resemblance.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 09:52 pm
@maxdancona,
I have been reading that the republicans will circumvent Trump and appoint someone more to their liking.
roger

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 10:01 pm
@RABEL222,
Appoint?
0 Replies