Do Americans take Trump seriously?

BillRM

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 12:46 am
@Lilkanyon,
Quote:
Even the "stats" you post are from Fox, who I highly disrespect. So if I disrespect your stats, why would you respect mine?

What stats are from Fox of mine?

Let see so there was the false gang rape charge of a dancer by the duke lacrosse team in 2006.

Howabout the claimed of a gang rape by the rolling stone at the University of Virginia that seems to have zero foundation to it and it getting the magazine sue.

Case after case of false charges but what the hell as who care about the life of innocent men ruin by false charges.

As I stated rapes on campus surely happen but it not one in four or even one in five it is rare as most men are not rapists.
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 08:20 am
I think we all take Trump seriously, very seriously.
There was an old SIMPSON's episode a few yers ago that "looked back" on the diisastrous TRUMP ADMINISTRATION.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 09:51 am
@farmerman,
I saw that one too. Our economy went from first to sixth in the first year of his administration.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 10:04 am
And WHY do we take him seriously?
Because we have been conditioned to NOT take politicians seriously.
He is the only choice who is not a politician.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 11:05 am
@Leadfoot,
From Huff Post:
Quote:
Trump is a toxic blend of Barnum and bully. If you’re a good mark, he’s your best friend. But if you catch on to the con, then he starts to gaslight. Ask him a question and he’ll lie without batting an eye. Call him a liar and he’ll declare himself “truthful to a fault.” Confront him with contradictory evidence and he’ll shrug and repeat the fib. Maybe he’ll change the subject. But he’ll never change the lie.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 11:13 am
@cicerone imposter,
I guess he's well on his way to becoming a politician then.

Except that he's so transparent; very refreshing!
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 11:17 am
@Leadfoot,
He's going to win, unfortunately. He's been a politician all his life by "making the deal." He's an expert with a life time of experience.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 11:18 am
@Leadfoot,
I take him seriously because he is a demagogue . He embodies the Andy Griffith character "Lonesome Rhodes" .

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 11:21 am
@farmerman,
Just had to add this:
Definition of demagogue. 1 : a leader who makes use of popular prejudices and false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Fits Trump to a "T".
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 11:23 am
@cicerone imposter,
did you ever see the old movie "A Face In the Crowd"? Thats Donald Trump
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 11:24 am
@cicerone imposter,
And the difference between that and your average politician is ...
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 11:31 am
@farmerman,
No, but I found this:
Quote:

Plot Summary
When philosophical country/western singer Larry "Lonesome" Rhodes is "discovered" in the local lock-up by television talent coordinator Marcia Jeffries, she decided that Rhodes deserves a guest appearance on a TV variety show. The gangly, overly humble Rhodes is an instant sensation, and as he quickly ascends toward superstardom he attracts fans, sponsors and endorsement deals until he is the most powerful and influential entertainer on the airwaves. Beloved by his public audience, they would never believe that he has turned into a scheming, power-hungry manipulator with Machiavellian political aspirations. What Rhodes does not realize is that the higher the rise, the farther the fall; not only does he wind up losing his fame and fortune, but he also loses those who cared about him before his ego took control of his life.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 11:32 am
@Leadfoot,
People choose to reelect them into office. I have no control over that.
Real Music

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 12:37 pm
@alexpari1,
At this point Donald Trump should definitely be taken seriously. Yes he is pathological liar, a bigot, and a chauvinist. The very thought of Donald Trump becoming our next president is nothing short of terrifying. As scariest as the thought of Trump becoming our next president, an even more scarier thought would be having Ted Cruz become our next president. Now that thought scares the living crap of me.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2016 12:39 pm
@Real Music,
We're now in the reality of nightmares. Two candidates that can cause our country more harm than the past 25 put together. That goes all the way back to Rutherford Hayes.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2016 01:06 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Just like the Pro-choice movement?

Like most of them, it's human nature to react that way. Same with online ratings, most people give 1 star or 10 stars (or 5 or whatever maximum) and there is little middle ground.

Quote:
If someone has been declared insane by a court then they are more than likely in an institution.

I don't think this is the case. I think the overwhelming majority of the mentally ill are free. I also think that many people are legally declared mentally unfit but not committed.

Quote:
If they were declared insane, treated and deemed "cured" or at least no threat to anyone around them they should never-the-less be stripped of their 2nd Amendment right?

I don't really have much quibbling over the details in me. Honestly anything that gets close to the goal of disallowing the mentally unfit from gun ownership is a good thing. I would probably prefer it to err on the side of caution more than you because I don't see people denied the right to gun ownership being as bad as you do but ultimately it's quibbling over small details and I think many people agree on the broader goal of regulating gun ownership this way.

Quote:
The vast majority of people who have been treated for mental illness do not pose a threat to society, and plastering a scarlet "I" (for insane) on them that enables the State to deprive them of rights is a "solution" driven by senseless fear.

I don't think it's a big deal. We regulate cars this way and it's not a big scarlet letter. I am of the opiniont that gun ownership should be licensed and qualified at least as well as driving is. That is all.

If it required a basic test of mental aptitude and gun safety and a background check for criminal record or mental illness it would be no more onerous than driving licenses are.

Quote:
Often we learn after the fact that the mass shooter displayed numerous indications of mental illness but nothing was done. I certainly don't favor a society where everyone gets to report his or her neighbor as insane and watch them carted away, but certainly there must be ways to better enable intervention before a tragedy strikes.

I don't think that we can solve this part. That is, a decent percentage of the population has some mental illness but are not dangerous. It's usually only obvious who is after the fact.

But still, many times these people got their guns far too easily and if it were just as hard as getting a driver's license I think it would be a big improvement.

Quote:
Typically after a mass shooting we find that none of the regulations proposed would have stopped it. The only way to eliminate the risk entirely is to eliminate private gun ownership entirely. That shouldn't happen and it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

I agree that it's not a perfect solution, and even a total ban on guns wouldn't be. Still, I think that gun ownership is at least as important to regulate as driving a car is and that isn't perfect either and many times imperfect ideas are worth pursuing anyway.

Quote:
I'm sorry, I just don't buy that the Anti-Gun movement is operating in good faith. My evidence is the desire to prohibit anyone on the No-Fly list from owning a gun. Given how riddled with errors and devoid of due process this list is, this is a horrible idea that sounds like it make sense to the uneducated.

I think that the anti-gun movement has people of all types from those who want to completely ban guns to those who just want more regulation than there is now. I am sure there are also many different approaches to it, some less honest than others.

I personally think that there is not much value to society in gun ownership and am not against them being entirely proscribed. I also think that society will tend towards this in the long term and that realization is behind a lot of the distrust from gun rights advocates who see any compromise as hastening it. I think they are not right there, and think that reasonable compromises will actually change this trend. The absolutism in the gun rights position so far in the US is a big part of the dynamic that is causing a shift in thinking on guns.

I think at the very least that they should be regulated to the same degree that automobiles are. I think the most improvements to be had (in terms of reducing homicide) is in the lower-hanging fruit like that. I think that many people would be happy with that and a gun rights position that is not as uncompromisingly asbolute as it has been thus far will go a long way towards taking political heat away from this issue.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2016 02:02 am
@cicerone imposter,
Well, even in the story of Larry Rhodes, the people finally woke up.
So why not do your best to wake the people up? At least you need not be so pessimistic. Just wait and see how things are going.

cicerone imposter wrote:

People choose to reelect them into office. I have no control over that.

Quote:
Plot Summary
When philosophical country/western singer Larry "Lonesome" Rhodes is "discovered" in the local lock-up by television talent coordinator Marcia Jeffries, she decided that Rhodes deserves a guest appearance on a TV variety show. The gangly, overly humble Rhodes is an instant sensation, and as he quickly ascends toward superstardom he attracts fans, sponsors and endorsement deals until he is the most powerful and influential entertainer on the airwaves. Beloved by his public audience, they would never believe that he has turned into a scheming, power-hungry manipulator with Machiavellian political aspirations. What Rhodes does not realize is that the higher the rise, the farther the fall; not only does he wind up losing his fame and fortune, but he also loses those who cared about him before his ego took control of his life.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2016 02:51 am
@Real Music,

Well said.

Real Music wrote:

At this point Donald Trump should definitely be taken seriously. Yes he is pathological liar, a bigot, and a chauvinist. The very thought of Donald Trump becoming our next president is nothing short of terrifying. As scariest as the thought of Trump becoming our next president, an even more scarier thought would be having Ted Cruz become our next president. Now that thought scares the living crap of me.

0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2016 07:34 am
Trump is not nearly as terrifying as the thought that 'we' just might elect him.

We can always replace a bad president, but we're stuck with us.

Pogo was right.
roger

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2016 01:04 pm
@Leadfoot,
I never looked at it exactly like that. You're right.
0 Replies