Do Americans take Trump seriously?

Lilkanyon

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 03:35 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
Your definition of conservatives is childish

I didn't exactly say they are "childish". I said they are angry and crazy. But then I suppose that the word "childish" fits too.

If thats how a conservative is intreprepeted, then...Ive also considered them spoiled brats....my way or no way...
Actually, outside of stripping every last penny from the US to pour into the military, idk what a "conservative" even is.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 03:47 pm
sorry for double post
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:00 pm
@Lilkanyon,
A conservative is a racial bigot. Ask Trump.
Lilkanyon

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

A conservative is a racial bigot. Ask Trump.

I would, but I doubt he knows either, LOL
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:07 pm
@Olivier5,
I understand what you are saying, but I'm no longer willing to vote for a person like her.

The establishment Democrat who's entrenched in our current corrupt system will never get my vote because she's part of the problem.

If establishment Dems want to keep a Dem in office, they'd better vote for Bernie.

If a Rep is elected, and the establishment Dems want to change that, they'd better vote for the Progressive candidate the next time they get a chance.

This caving and voting for the lesser of two evils is what put us where we are now.

The progressives won't vote for the establishments anymore. They will vote with us or lose.

And that makes me happy. We can force change - or at least not cave to their disgusting DINOs.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't think that is always so, though it can tend to seem like it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Type this in any search engine. Not all republicans are bigots, but there are plenty of evidence that many are.
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=conservatives+and+bigotry&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

“If you can convince the lowest white man that he’s better than the best colored man, he won’t notice you’re picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he’ll even empty his pockets for you.” LBJ
Lilkanyon

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:15 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I understand what you are saying, but I'm no longer willing to vote for a person like her.

The establishment Democrat who's entrenched in our current corrupt system will never get my vote because she's part of the problem.

If establishment Dems want to keep a Dem in office, they'd better vote for Bernie.

If a Rep is elected, and the establishment Dems want to change that, they'd better vote for the Progressive candidate the next time they get a chance.

This caving and voting for the lesser of two evils is what put
us where we are now.

The progressives won't vote for the establishments anymore. They will vote with us or lose.

And that makes me happy. We can force change - or at least not cave to their disgusting DINOs.

I get what your saying. Everyone is afraid of establishment (entrenched) candidates. But dont forget Bernie has been a part of that system too for years, hes no "outsider." He knows how to play the system as well as anyone. And as much as we dont like it, we need ppl who know how to play the system. We saw what happened to Obama. He was also an "outsider". Only 2 years in the senate. He tried hard to hold onto his core beliefs and they chewed him up.
Bernie is knowlegeable and knows rhe system, but he tells his constituents he will reach mars (as Trevor Noah puts it) when Clinton is asking only we stay on earth and fix the here and now. As much as I love Bernie's enthusiam, his goals are unobtainable.
roger

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:17 pm
@Lilkanyon,
Briefly, I am pro gun and pro choice. Should I wait for a candidate that agrees with both?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:17 pm
@Lilkanyon,
Bernie's free college education turned me off.
Lilkanyon

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Type this in any search engine. Not all republicans are bigots, but there are plenty of evidence that many are.
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=conservatives+and+bigotry&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

“If you can convince the lowest white man that he’s better than the best colored man, he won’t notice you’re picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he’ll even empty his pockets for you.” LBJ

Thats a great quote cicerone! Even LBJ, a racist white Texan, was able to change. The GOP should never forget, their party was once the DEM party.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:19 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Briefly, I am pro gun and pro choice. Should I wait for a candidate that agrees with both?

I am curious what "pro-gun" means to you Roger. Are you against things like background checks and restrictions on assault rifles? It is rare for me to meet anyone who is both pro-gun (by the current NRA standard) and pro-choice.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
No thanks.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:20 pm
@Lilkanyon,
I think you're completely incorrect in your assessment of Bernie. Although he's been around for a long time, he has consistently been on the side of issues that I'm on. Right on race, right on gender issues, right on women's issues, right on climate change, right of trade, right on campaign finance reform, right on education, incarceration, institutional racism, ... he was decades before his time.

I know people think his policies won't work. there's a lot of conflicting info making the rounds about the feasibility of his plans.

I happen to think they will work.

You have noticed HRC adopting most all of his plans, haven't you?

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
But you are fine with the many billions of military waste? 4oo billion in the last report in today's news..

We need an educated populace as a basis or weapons mean zilch.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:22 pm
@Lilkanyon,
Earl Warren of California also changed. I'll never forget him.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:28 pm
@Lilkanyon,
On Earl Warren.
Quote:
Despite his status as a defender of civil rights, Warren never publicly apologized for his role in the World War II removal and detention of Japanese Americans. The closest he came was in his posthumously published memoirs: "I have since deeply regretted the removal order and my own testimony advocating it, because it was not in keeping with our American concept of freedom and the rights of citizens.… It was wrong to react so impulsively, without positive evidence of disloyalty, even though we felt we had a good motive in the security of our state." According to former Supreme Court Justice Arthur J. Goldberg (who later served on the Commission on Wartime Relocation and Internment of Civilians), Warren said about the evacuation, "You know, in retrospect, that's one of the worst things I ever did."

He's a great man for admitting his mistake. Not many do.
Lilkanyon

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Bernie's free college education turned me off.

Same here and a "young revolution." Chris Matthews chewed him up. He sounded like an idealistic college kid with no experience at all. If I was looking for that, Id be a Trump supporter.
You know? Remember after Romney lost and his excuse was, how can he win when Obama was promising "free stuff?. How is that working out for Sanders? Just goes to show, its not about this "myth" dems offer free stuff. Even if they promise it, dems are more realistic then what is going on now.
Trump supporters really think he will wave a magic wand and destroy ISIS? Or deport 11m people? Or build the wall of China and the mexicans will pay for it? And they claim to be anti weed. I wonder. For all the liberal, hippy, pot smoking degenerates they claim us to be, who sounds more rational?
Lilkanyon

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

On Earl Warren.
Quote:
Despite his status as a defender of civil rights, Warren never publicly apologized for his role in the World War II removal and detention of Japanese Americans. The closest he came was in his posthumously published memoirs: "I have since deeply regretted the removal order and my own testimony advocating it, because it was not in keeping with our American concept of freedom and the rights of citizens.… It was wrong to react so impulsively, without positive evidence of disloyalty, even though we felt we had a good motive in the security of our state." According to former Supreme Court Justice Arthur J. Goldberg (who later served on the Commission on Wartime Relocation and Internment of Civilians), Warren said about the evacuation, "You know, in retrospect, that's one of the worst things I ever did."

He's a great man for admitting his mistake. Not many do.

Thats where politicians have it the worst. They are expected to never make mistakes, and if they do, never admit to them. Maybe us, as a society have been too harsh. I appreciate and respect those that admit their mistakes. Not everyone does, and to say,"im sorry" is considered a weakness.
roger

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:52 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I am curious what "pro-gun" means to you Roger. Are you against things like background checks and restrictions on assault rifles? It is rare for me to meet anyone who is both pro-gun (by the current NRA standard) and pro-choice.

Good question, and I hope we don't derail the thread.

I do favor background checks, but only if they are completed in a timely manner. In other words, they should be used only to disqualify a very specific portion of the population; not as an obstacle to general ownership of firearms. In spite of supporting background checks, I believe in private transfer of firearms like a gift from father to son. There's some room for abuse here, but largely negligible to my thinking.

I do not favor additional restrictions on assault rifles, though I am not in favor of full automatic weapons in the hands of the general population. Keep in mind that the Second amendment wasn't written for the protection of hunters and target shooters.

I am aware that it is vanishingly rare to find anyone both pro gun and pro choice. I think I was pointing out the impossibility of my finding an ideal candidate.

Since I have such a low success rate in changing anyone's opinion on either subject, I generally avoid both.