I'll Never Vote for Hillary Clinton

snood

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 08:15 am
@DrewDad,
Debra Law told us a while back that she couldn't care less if the Republicans take office in 2017.
engineer

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 08:57 am
@Debra Law,
My personal rules for voting are:
- I will definitely vote. Not voting out of disgust is not a reasonable option.
- If there is a candidate running that I am truly passionate about I will likely vote for them even if they have no chance to win.
- Otherwise, I will vote for a candidate that has some chance to win.

I can see someone saying I am so passionate about Sanders I will vote for him anyway, but if he is not running, he is not going to get my write-in vote. I'm not going to vote for a third party candidate that I know nothing about other than policy papers and is likely going to get less than one percent of the vote. I considered Perot when he ran. I would consider Bloomberg if he runs as an independent. That said, if it comes down to Clinton vs Trump or Rubio, I'm going to vote for Clinton. I don't like all of her positions or all of her votes, but from rule one, I will definitely vote and voting a write in or third party would essentially be voting a half vote for Clinton and a half vote for Trump and Trump is not getting my half vote.
snood

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 09:01 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

My personal rules for voting are:
- I will definitely vote. Not voting out of disgust is not a reasonable option.
- If there is a candidate running that I am truly passionate about I will likely vote for them even if they have no chance to win.
- Otherwise, I will vote for a candidate that has some chance to win.

I can see someone saying I am so passionate about Sanders I will vote for him anyway, but if he is not running, he is not going to get my write-in vote. I'm not going to vote for a third party candidate that I know nothing about other than policy papers and is likely going to get less than one percent of the vote. I considered Perot when he ran. I would consider Bloomberg if he runs as an independent. That said, if it comes down to Clinton vs Trump or Rubio, I'm going to vote for Clinton. I don't like all of her positions or all of her votes, but from rule one, I will definitely vote and voting a write in or third party would essentially be voting a half vote for Clinton and a half vote for Trump and Trump is not getting my half vote.

What do you say to a disgusted Democrat who says they don't care if a Republican wins the presidency because it won't make a big difference?
revelette2

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 09:04 am
@snood,
And it is looking like it is going to be Trump, he won Nevada, I don't see him see him being stopped. I believe she said Trump would be less of a disaster than Hillary. She said something like Trump just says stuff like this to be elected. The irony of it is incredible. Sanders was being arrested for protesting segregation in 1963. In 1989 Trump was calling for the death of the five teenaged black youths wrongly accused of rape.

Watch A Young Bernie Sanders Get Arrested While Protesting Segregation

Donald Trump might have called him a "thug."

snood

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 09:11 am
@revelette2,
I still say this country should be ashamed for putting someone forward like Trump as our potential representative on the world stage. If this guy doesn't make you embarrassed to be American, nothing will. Not torture, not institutional racism, not the greed of the 1%, not nothing.
DrewDad

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 09:18 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

I still say this country should be ashamed for putting someone forward like Trump as our potential representative on the world stage. If this guy doesn't make you embarrassed to be American, nothing will. Not torture, not institutional racism, not the greed of the 1%, not nothing.

I'm pretty sure the ugly side of human nature is universal.

The GOP has long pandered to the racists and bigots, while trying to maintain a semi-civilized facade, but it's coming home to roost for them, now.
McGentrix

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 09:58 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

If that happens, you're basically giving half a vote to the Republican nominee.

Seems to me like it would be giving her whole vote to the nominee of her choice.
McGentrix

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 10:07 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

The GOP has long pandered to the racists and bigots, while trying to maintain a semi-civilized facade, but it's coming home to roost for them, now.

Rolling Eyes

I am sure most of the people here agree with you, all that does is make a bunch of people wrong. The GOP doesn't pander to those people, show me where you see that going on. The GOP hardly has a monopoly on idiots, but they certainly do not pander to them.
engineer

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 10:09 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

What do you say to a disgusted Democrat who says they don't care if a Republican wins the presidency because it won't make a big difference?

Being an engineer I would say "look at the data" although that doesn't float everyone's boat. It requires a pretty big set of blinders to say a Republican administration will look the same as a Democratic one. Certainly Republican voters don't think that. There are significant differences between how the country performs under Democratic and Republican administrations in terms of job creation, debt reduction, civil rights advancements, foreign policy, immigration policy, etc. I could argue specifics, but we've done that before. I can't see a reasonable person saying that a Trump or Rubio administration would not be different than a Clinton or Sanders administration. I will say that there are significant groups that throw up chaff to obscure all the real data out there and that constant barrage of innuendo, half truths and outright lies can be wearing. If you passively receive the "data" being sent to you, it's not hard to be deceived, but it's not hard to find the real data if you look.
DrewDad

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 10:14 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

If that happens, you're basically giving half a vote to the Republican nominee.

Seems to me like it would be giving her whole vote to the nominee of her choice.

It would be a symbolic vote, certainly. Kinda depends on whether one feels a symbolic vote is better than a meaningful vote.

Sometimes I have a candidate I want to vote for. Sometimes I have a candidate I want to vote against. I'm not one of those people who rages because the perfect candidate is not on the ballot.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 10:22 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

Rolling Eyes

I am sure most of the people here agree with you, all that does is make a bunch of people wrong. The GOP doesn't pander to those people, show me where you see that going on. The GOP hardly has a monopoly on idiots, but they certainly do not pander to them.

Good grief....

Here's an article with links to LOTS of examples. http://www.bustle.com/articles/7964-republican-pollster-party-must-stop-pandering-to-racism

Here's Lee Atwater's interview in 1981 on how to be racist without sounding racist: http://www.thenation.com/article/exclusive-lee-atwaters-infamous-1981-interview-southern-strategy/

Quote:
 You start out in 1954 by saying, “Nigger, nigger, nigger.” By 1968 you can’t say “nigger”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “Nigger, nigger.”

http://www.thedemocraticstrategist.org/strategist/2014/12/gop_whips_pandering_to_racists.php

The talk from GOP officials spreading fear, uncertainty, and doubt regarding the Syrian refugees also comes to mind.
McGentrix

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 01:36 pm
@DrewDad,
HuffPo writer: Republicans can never not be racist

Quote:
This is because the standard, both in the media and in popular culture – is applied differently to Republicans than it is Democrats. In a recent exchange with Wolf Blitzer, Newt Gingrich aptly described this as “selective media outrage.” It’s not that outrage over comments like those made by Nugent is necessarily misplaced, it’s that many are rightly curious as to where the outrage is when substantially similar comments are made from the other side of the political spectrum.

So, Mr. Hutchinson, would you apply the same standard of perpetual racism you accuse Republicans of to your fellow Democrats?

You select a few examples and damn an entire group, which party fought desegregation? Which party fought to keep slaves?
engineer

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 02:10 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

You select a few examples and damn an entire group, which party fought desegregation?

I think you know the answer to this but I'll go ahead and address it. The group that strongly championed segregation currently calls themselves Republicans. The original group that supported segregation called themselves Democrats, but the national Democratic party repudiated them and so they walked out of the Democratic convention in 1948 and formed the States' Rights Democratic Party, nicknamed the Dixiecrats. (Note that under the threat of a significant division in the party, the Democrats chose to stick with the principles of expanding civil rights and let the bigots walk, something the Republican party should consider.) When their rebellion fell short, the Dixiecrats nominally returned to the Democratic party, but their leaders (including Dixiecrat Presidential candidate Strom Thurmond and super bigot Jesse Helms) led the move to the Republican Party and when Nixon signaled the Republican party would let their bigotry slide the movement begin in mass. Dishonest (or perhaps self deceiving) Republicans will say that Democrats championed segregation, so I say again - Thurmond, Helms and many others left the Democratic Party because it would not tolerate their bigotry.
ehBeth

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 02:17 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

The talk from GOP officials spreading fear, uncertainty, and doubt regarding the Syrian refugees also comes to mind.

watching the effect of this on some of my real-life friends in the US has been troubling

I'm still deciding what it means for some of those friendships
0 Replies

snood

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 02:29 pm
@engineer,
Hard to believe Mcg doesn't know that piece of history. I've seen it explained here on A2K over and over. Unless he knows it, ignores it, then goes right on espousing that hackneyed spiel of false equivalencies.

It's not that all republicans are racist. It's the fact that if you are a racist, you probably are also a republican.
ossobuco

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 02:50 pm
@engineer,
Thank you for your clarity on this, engineer.
McGentrix

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 02:56 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

You select a few examples and damn an entire group, which party fought desegregation?

I think you know the answer to this but I'll go ahead and address it. The group that strongly championed segregation currently calls themselves Republicans. The original group that supported segregation called themselves Democrats, but the national Democratic party repudiated them and so they walked out of the Democratic convention in 1948 and formed the States' Rights Democratic Party, nicknamed the Dixiecrats. (Note that under the threat of a significant division in the party, the Democrats chose to stick with the principles of expanding civil rights and let the bigots walk, something the Republican party should consider.) When their rebellion fell short, the Dixiecrats nominally returned to the Democratic party, but their leaders (including Dixiecrat Presidential candidate Strom Thurmond and super bigot Jesse Helms) led the move to the Republican Party and when Nixon signaled the Republican party would let their bigotry slide the movement begin in mass. Dishonest (or perhaps self deceiving) Republicans will say that Democrats championed segregation, so I say again - Thurmond, Helms and many others left the Democratic Party because it would not tolerate their bigotry.

Yeah, no. If you have another quarter, you can play again.
McGentrix

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 02:57 pm
@ossobuco,
Really? REALLY? That's clarity for you?

Good god, this place gets more ridiculous up every day.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 03:00 pm
@snood,
Agreed. My favorite cousins are substantially different than I am re politics (they are pretty conservative) and religion. One of our zones of agreement is anti-racism. On other matters, we are hilariously different.

We tend not to spat though, having known each other all these years, so don't go on and on about either politics or religion when we do get to see each other, and we don't argue by email.
DrewDad

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 03:50 pm
@McGentrix,
Ah. A rejection of facts and reality. How utterly unexpected.