I'll Never Vote for Hillary Clinton

engineer

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 03:52 pm
@DrewDad,
It's the Trumpification of debate. Faced with facts you just deny it all.
McGentrix

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 04:18 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

You select a few examples and damn an entire group, which party fought desegregation?

I think you know the answer to this but I'll go ahead and address it. The group that strongly championed segregation currently calls themselves Republicans. The original group that supported segregation called themselves Democrats, but the national Democratic party repudiated them and so they walked out of the Democratic convention in 1948 and formed the States' Rights Democratic Party, nicknamed the Dixiecrats. (Note that under the threat of a significant division in the party, the Democrats chose to stick with the principles of expanding civil rights and let the bigots walk, something the Republican party should consider.) When their rebellion fell short, the Dixiecrats nominally returned to the Democratic party, but their leaders (including Dixiecrat Presidential candidate Strom Thurmond and super bigot Jesse Helms) led the move to the Republican Party and when Nixon signaled the Republican party would let their bigotry slide the movement begin in mass. Dishonest (or perhaps self deceiving) Republicans will say that Democrats championed segregation, so I say again - Thurmond, Helms and many others left the Democratic Party because it would not tolerate their bigotry.

Ok, now I am not 2 feet out the door at work..

You say that "The group that strongly championed segregation currently calls themselves Republicans." and I say you are full of ****. When did this magical switch take place? Do you mean that all the politicians that were Democrats all switched parties? They didn't. Do you mean all the Democrats that held onto segregation and passed the Jim Crow laws were all voted from office and replaced by Republicans? That would be correct. That doesn't mean that the Republicans were fighting desegregation, they were the one fighting for it.

You don't get to change history because of a black eye in the history of your tribe. At least you agree that it took until 1948 for the Democrats to come to the table and see that their racist views were only hurting themselves. What was happening in the Democrat party until then? They were a practicing bunch of racists trying to keep the blacks segregated from the whites. It wasn't until 1954 and the continuous fighting of the Republicans that the USSC ruled in Brown vs Board of Education that ruled segregation was illegal. As it should be.

The Dixiecrats were welcomed back into the Democrat party with hardly a notice of their breakaway. Maybe you should read the wiki on it?

Quote:
The States' Rights Democratic Party dissolved after the 1948 election, as Truman, the Democratic National Committee, and the New Deal Southern Democrats acted to ensure that the Dixiecrat movement would not return in the 1952 presidential election. Some Southern diehards, such as Leander Perez of Louisiana, attempted to keep it in existence in their districts.[16] Former Dixiecrats received some backlash at the 1952 Democratic National Convention, but all Southern delegations were seated after agreeing to a party loyalty pledge.[17] Moderate Alabama Senator John Sparkman was selected as the Democratic vice presidential nominee in 1952, helping to boost party loyalty in the South.[17] Regardless of the power struggle within the Democratic Party concerning segregation policy, the South remained a strongly Democratic voting bloc for local, state, and federal Congressional elections, but not in presidential elections.

There was no move to the Republican party. You're just making **** up.

So, when were these guys Republicans?We are up to 1952 now and still Democrats. Are you ready to see the error of your ways yet?

Clarity? Please. It's a bunch of horse **** trying to smother a disastrous history of racism and ugliness.
McGentrix

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 04:22 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Ah. A rejection of facts and reality. How utterly unexpected.

You consider that trash to be facts? Did you even read it? If you did and agreed with it then you are a lot stupider than I thought. I figured you for a pretty bright person, but if you can't see garbage for what it is, there is no helping that.
McGentrix

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 04:26 pm
@engineer,
Facts... yeah, right. Get another quarter and try again.
cicerone imposter

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 06:29 pm
@McGentrix,
I'm only one observer, but DrewDad is a 'pretty bright person.'
0 Replies

RABEL222

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 08:28 pm
@DrewDad,
There are more and more so called liberals espousing republican ideals on this site. Bet if its Hillary they will vote republican and still claim to be liberal.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 08:33 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
but it's not hard to find the real data if you look.

And that is the real problem in a nutshell. Its so much easier to choose some radio or newspaper commentator and religiously believe whatever crap they say or print. That way you dont have to think for yourself.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 08:43 pm
@ossobuco,
Funny. Our family dynamics is similar. My younger brother is a republican, and served two terms in the state legislature. He also served as mayor in Lodi.
I'm an Independent. My older brother is a staunch democrat.
Blickers

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 08:44 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote McGentrix:
Quote:
The Dixiecrats were welcomed back into the Democrat party with hardly a notice of their breakaway.

Ummm, you ARE aware that Strommond Thurmond quit the Democrats and joined the Republicans in 1964, correct? Please tell me one major Civil Rights Bill since Reconstruction introduced by a Republican.
ossobuco

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 08:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Lodi, there's a song about that...

http://www.creedence-online.net/lyrics/lodi.php
Blickers

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 08:58 pm
@ossobuco,
LOL, and all this time I thought that song was about Lodi, New Jersey.
ossobuco

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 09:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Now, the youtube -
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 09:02 pm
@Blickers,
I think there's one in Italy too (almost remember) but that would be pronounced Lo-dee there.
ossobuco

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 09:10 pm
@ossobuco,
The comments on that particular cut on the Creedence song are pretty interesting..
timely, in their way.
ossobuco

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 09:14 pm
@ossobuco,
Ok, there is a Lodi, Italy..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lodi,_Lombardy; long history.

also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fogerty
McGentrix

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 09:19 pm
@Blickers,
Civil Rights Act of 1957 and the Civil Rights Act of 1960.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc11/d0uglass/pwn3d.jpg

You are aware that Thurmond was a Democrat for a really long time, right? He was a life long segregationist for sure.
cicerone imposter

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 09:22 pm
@McGentrix,
If anyone bothers to go back in history, there's been a bunch of Thurmonds.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 09:28 pm
Hmm, CCR could use a revival.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 09:37 pm
@ossobuco,
What's interesting about Lodi, Ca, is the huge numbers of Germans.
0 Replies

oristarA

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 10:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Funny. Our family dynamics is similar. My younger brother is a republican, and served two terms in the state legislature. He also served as mayor in Lodi.
I'm an Independent. My older brother is a staunch democrat.

Cool. Can it be called the United Families?
0 Replies