Hundreds of Armed Right-Wing Militia Members Take Over Federal Building

edgarblythe

Mon 18 Jan, 2016 06:32 am
@layman,
I hated LBJ's guts. In fact, he was the main reason I did not want JFK elected in 1960.
BillRM

Mon 18 Jan, 2016 07:21 am
@layman,
Quote:
Good ole LBJ, eh?

Yes good old LBJ who got the voter rights and civil rights laws pass when he was president. Oh and an equal pay bill for women also.

As I said it is very hard for you even with the help of Obama to rewrite history for those who was alive at the time.

Quote:

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/johnson-signs-civil-rights-act

As the strength of the civil rights movement grew, John F. Kennedy made passage of a new civil rights bill one of the platforms of his successful 1960 presidential campaign. As Kennedy’s vice president, Johnson served as chairman of the President’s Committee on Equal Employment Opportunities. After Kennedy was assassinated in November 1963, Johnson vowed to carry out his proposals for civil rights reform.

The Civil Rights Act fought tough opposition in the House and a lengthy, heated debate in the Senate before being approved in July 1964. For the signing of the historic legislation, Johnson invited hundreds of guests to a televised ceremony in the White House’s East Room. After using more than 75 pens to sign the bill, he gave them away as mementoes of the historic occasion, according to tradition. One of the first pens went to King, leader of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC), who called it one of his most cherished possessions. Johnson gave two more to Senators Hubert Humphrey and Everett McKinley Dirksen, the Democratic and Republican managers of the bill in the Senate.

The most sweeping civil rights legislation passed by Congress since the post-Civil War Reconstruction era, the Civil Rights Act prohibited racial discrimination in employment and education and outlawed racial segregation in public places such as schools, buses, parks and swimming pools. In addition, the bill laid important groundwork for a number of other pieces of legislation–including the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which set strict rules for protecting the right of African Americans to vote–that have since been used to enforce equal rights for women as well as all minorities.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 18 Jan, 2016 07:31 am

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 18 Jan, 2016 07:34 am
@layman,
Who's 'we'? Texas not the deep south???? Look again.
bobsal u1553115

Mon 18 Jan, 2016 07:40 am

Seditionists and traitors.
boomerang

Mon 18 Jan, 2016 10:02 am
Quote:
BURNS, Ore. (KOIN) — As the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge takeover enters its second week, a new voice is emerging in protest of the protesters.

The group Getting Occupiers of the Historic Oregon Malheur Evicted (G.O.H.O.M.E.) is working to “turn the refuge occupation against itself”.

Brothers Zach and Jake Klonoski launched the group’s fundraising efforts on Sunday morning.

By 10 p.m. Sunday, the group received $13,480 in pledges.

“We thought, let’s create this vehicle so Oregonians can step up with one collective voice and say that we don’t support this, we want them to leave,” Zach Klonoski told KOIN 6 News.

The Klonoski brothers say they’re frustrated by what’s going on at the refuge, and figure there are thousands of Oregonians who would also like to express their opposition in a “peaceful, meaningful way”.

G.O.H.O.M.E. will continue to raise money in protest of the protesters every day the armed group remains at the Malheur Wildlife Refuge.

The funds will go to 4 different organizations: Burns’ Paiute Tribe, Gabby Giffords’ Americans for Responsible Solutions, the Southern Poverty Law Center and the Malheur National Wildlife refuge itself.

“These people came in heavily armed… we feel that they are likely not in support of gun reform. So we thought [Gabby Giffords’ Americans for Responsible Solutions] would be a good organization to choose,” Klonoski explained.

The Southern Poverty Law Center tracks and researches extremist groups all around the U.S., which the occupiers qualify as.

“Every day that they stay, they’re funding the very groups that fight against their actions,” Klonoski explained. “The longer they stay there, the more funds are contributed to groups that are really antithetical to the occupiers’ goals.”

On Saturday, members of the militia clashed with environmentalists from the Center for Biological Diversity. In the midst of the chaos, birder Cody Martz held a sign that said “Bundy, it’s time to migrate… Floccupy” Malheur.

“This is a really important Native American cultural site to the Paiute and they are cutting roads, cutting fences,” Martz said. “They need to recognize the financial importance of birders and outdoor recreationalists on the refuge and here in Harney County.”

Some are accusing the militants of building a new road without public consent.

KOIN 6 News visited the property on Sunday and, while occupiers declined to point out the new road, there was visibly disturbed earth near the volunteer quarters. There was also what appeared to be a chopped up fence and a pile of black stone.

One man said the militants grated roads and spread black stone, but called the new road “mythical”.

http://koin.com/2016/01/17/campaign-works-to-turn-malheur-occupation-against-itself/

http://www.gohomemalheur.org/
BillRM

Mon 18 Jan, 2016 10:11 am
@bobsal u1553115,
It would be a damn short civil war
CalamityJane

Mon 18 Jan, 2016 10:12 am
Now this is the most disgusting thing I have heard about these morons.

A foster child was removed from the home of one of the Oregon militants and he was complaining that he lost his main source of income. How disgusting is that? Shows you the mentality of these people. I'd spit in this guy's face if I ever saw him. This makes my blood boiling.....

Foster Children
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 18 Jan, 2016 12:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
Plenty of good reasons for that. He was a pretty reprehensible guy.
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 18 Jan, 2016 12:58 pm
This "occupation" started as and remains theater of the absurd
0 Replies

BillRM

Mon 18 Jan, 2016 01:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Plenty of good reasons for that. He was a pretty reprehensible guy.

Well LBL got us into the Vietnam war with the results that guys who I was in HS with died decades before their times but as far as his actions in civil rights laws and his war on poverty there in nothing to not respect.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 18 Jan, 2016 02:05 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Who's 'we'? Texas not the deep south???? Look again.

Yeah, we who know what we're talkin about. That includes you out, obviously.

Quote:
The term "Deep South" includes the states Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, Mississippi, and Louisiana.[4] Arkansas is sometimes included[5][6] or else considered "in the Peripheral or Rim South rather than the Deep South."[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_South

cicerone imposter

Mon 18 Jan, 2016 05:07 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Deep South - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_South
Wikipedia
In its broadest application today, the Deep South is considered to be "an area roughly coextensive with the old cotton belt from eastern North Carolina through South Carolina west into East Texas, with extensions north and south along the Mississippi".
layman

Mon 18 Jan, 2016 08:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
into East Texas

Yeah, the "cotton belt" goes a little past the Louisana state line 'into east Texas," but that aint the state of Texas, just a small portion of it. Texas just aint "the deep south."

cicerone imposter

Mon 18 Jan, 2016 08:44 pm
@layman,
That post was self-explanatory. "Into east Texas" is pretty clear.
layman

Mon 18 Jan, 2016 08:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

That post was self-explanatory. "Into east Texas" is pretty clear.

Yeah, it was. Not sure why you took the trouble to post it.
cicerone imposter

Mon 18 Jan, 2016 09:03 pm
@layman,
You're the one making hay out of nothing. You:
Quote:
Yeah, the "cotton belt" goes a little past the Louisana state line 'into east Texas," but that aint the state of Texas, just a small portion of it. Texas just aint "the deep south."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 18 Jan, 2016 09:11 pm
This guy sees Texas pretty much the way I see it.
http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/why-i-dont-consider-texas-a-southern-state-6393147

I've stumbled across a strange controversy while perusing various Internet forums in recent years. There are passionate arguments being made about whether or not Texas is part of "The South."

I had never really thought much about it, to be honest. Growing up in the Houston area, I would very occasionally run across some older person who would use the term "Yankee" in reference to someone hailing from a Northern state, but that was rare in my neck of the woods. As I got older, and spent time traveling through the Southern states, I noticed that there was a certain similarity in how they "felt," a homogeneity in culture that I didn't notice existing to any large degree in Texas. I just never really thought the Lone Star State felt like the "South" very much.

But there are people who claim that we ARE definitely a part of "The South," and that it's impossible to deny. I've come across many a passionate online argument over this subject. To me, the fact that this is even up for debate sort of proves that a lot of folks just see Texas as something different culturally than other Southern states - there's not similar disagreement about the "Southern-ness" of say, Alabama or Mississippi.

Now it's true, far East Texas feels very Southern. Having spent a lot of time east of Beaumont, that part of this state does seem nearly identical in culture to other parts of the South. But this is a very big state, and East Texas isn't enough to claim the rest of it for the South.

Also, from a geographical position, there's no argument that Texas is located in the Southern portion of the United States. But geography isn't what I'm talking about; I'm talking about cultural similarities.

So why don't I think that Texas is culturally similar enough to other states in the South, to claim some major connection with the rest of them? There are lots of reasons.
BillRM

Mon 18 Jan, 2016 09:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
So why don't I think that Texas is similar enough to other states in the South, to claim some major connection with the rest of them? There are lots of reasons.

Given that the citizens of Texas joined the CSA that should ended the issue in my opinion.

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_in_the_American_Civil_War

We hold as undeniable truths that the governments of the various States, and of the confederacy itself, were established exclusively by the white race, for themselves and their posterity; that the African race had no agency in their establishment; that they were rightfully held and regarded as an inferior and dependent race, and in that condition only could their existence in this country be rendered beneficial or tolerable.
— Texas Secession Convention, A Declaration of the Causes which Impel the State of Texas to Secede from the Federal Union, (February 1861).[3]
edgarblythe

Mon 18 Jan, 2016 10:04 pm
@BillRM,
Your opinion is based on that one fact. The opinion I posted above is based on culture. Many Texans I know consider Texas unique in its own right and barely part of the US.