Hundreds of Armed Right-Wing Militia Members Take Over Federal Building

ossobuco

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 10:08 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Oh, that's an idea: Punville @ madlabs.com. It could be slyly slipped into the Humor/Humour site to annoy many. (I don't have a punny mind, but I like them)
0 Replies

George

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 10:18 am
Militants presiding over an armed occupation of a federal bird sanctuary
destroyed a portion of a fence Monday afternoon that they said was
installed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service – using the agency's own equipment.
Blickers

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 11:20 am
@George,
With it being winter and barbed wire and all, you'd think Ammon Bundy would consider wearing gloves. Maybe his mom can send out a message online for somebody to send him a pair along with the snacks.
Blickers

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 12:21 pm
@Blickers,
http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah279/LeviStubbs/Ammon%20Bundy%20Bare%20hands_zpsu3sqct1b.jpg

Below 18° F and poor Ammon Bundy has no gloves when he's cutting barbed wire. Please contribute what you can.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 04:03 pm
Well, the local paper says here:

Quote:
Even as a wider network of anti-government groups and community members rejected taking action stronger than holding a public rally, Bundy and Payne privately strategized an occupation they felt was necessary to spread their message.

Today, as the siege enters its 10th day, the operation has taken on the sheen of success. Some lawmakers are coming out in support of the occupiers' message, even if they believe their tactics were wrong. And the same Hammond supporters frustrated by the deception have tempered their anger and taken up posts at the refuge.

Now, many who criticized Bundy and Payne's takeover have begun to voice support, even admiration, for the amount of attention the occupation has brought to the underlying grievances. Occupiers have received increasing local support and supplies and gained international headlines. U.S. Rep. Greg Walden, R-Ore., delivered an emotional shout-out on the House floor.

Hunt, one of Payne's board members, was among those who voted against taking action in Burns without an invitation from the Hammonds, county officials or the governor, said: "I think they've done a beautiful job in what they've chosen to do. It was very well planned and well executed," he said.

[Bundy said:] "We wanted to show the community that we were committed, that we were putting ourselves on the line and would stand hard," he said. "We knew we had to gain the confidence of the community and we knew it would take several days, a week or so, for the community to work through it.

"It happened quicker than we anticipated."

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/01/bundy_militia_leader_plotted_o.html

Quote:
“Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others.” (Winston Churchill)

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 04:15 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:
The defense of Muslims is a knee-jerk progressive reaction which is entirely unnecessary if the fear is that reasonable people will start thinking that every Muslim is a terrorist.

I can't figure out why they even think that's relevant.

Your apocryphal tale was very amusing and I would love to discover it was true because it is precisely what the broader outcome will likely be for those progressives who, for Jihadis, bend so far over backward that they can stick their heads where it, metaphorically, so often is.

So many think it is relevant because they also think they are the anointed Defenders of Diversity and shining paladins for oppressed victims everywhere.

Likely because so many of them were small, frail nerds in grade school and targets of the neighborhood's popular bullies, they have a unique understanding of what it is to be a powerless victim of mean-spirited and ugly power, and if they weren't they are, of course, blessed with greater creative imaginations that you or I have, and therefore they have incredible empathic powers that compel them to defend the downtrodden. Whereas conservative who are devoid of any empathy whatsoever and are, without exception, focused only on that which will personally enrich them in terms of wealth and power, couldn't care less about "victims," except to assure their numbers are sufficiently high enough that their continued fleecing will line their pockets to the degree to which they become accustomed.

Once a group can be invested with the sacred status of victimhood (for which Muslims throughout the world qualify due to the colonial and imperialistic predations of the popular bullies of the West: Europe and, as respects colonialism, by some history defying vote, America) it doesn't matter if they engage in behavior that is actually underestimated when it is called bullying. Nothing causes these aggressive victims to forfeit their victimhood. Not murdering innocents, not blowing up cities, not even violently preying on minorities within their own spheres who, by any decent standard, should be defined as "victims" themselves: Coptic Christians in Egypt and Ethiopia, Syrian Christians, Yazidis, and other groups.

Of course all Muslims are not engaged in act of heinous barbarity, (There's no need to argue this tired point) and no one needs to call for us to ignore acts of violence against all Muslims to prove that they do not endorse the ways of ISIS and similar barbarians, but neither is there a compelling reason to instantaneously call, with the fervor that is always displayed, for the cessation of a backlash that, broadly, doesn't exist.

Bobsal and others will now likely festoon this thread with links to and the full texts of news articles that report incidents of violence against innocent Muslims, and most of them can probably be connected to the hatred and fear ignited by Islamist terrorism, but these will be, by definition, anecdotal evidence and they will not amount to a tiny fraction of the injuries, deaths, and misery meted out by groups like ISIS.

I'm going to save bobsal the bother and link an article related to this matter from the NY Times http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/18/us/politics/crimes-against-muslim-americans-and-mosques-rise-sharply.html?_r=0<br />

We can be certain that the Times is going to (and did) take the most alarmist of positions (perhaps second only to CAIR) and no one can objectively call the subject of this report "only the tip of the iceberg"

The NYT and any other source that wishes to take the most alarming of positions is going to report that the number of "hate crimes" directed at Muslims in the US "has tripled" since the Paris and San Bernadino attacks. I'm not questioning their figure or their math. If you start with an average of 12.6 attacks per month and you end up with 38, the number has tripled. I'm also not going to suggest that 38 such incidents are acceptable, because they are not. However, we should view this development in a rational perspective.

First of all, the increase was immediately after the two most recent attacks. Again not acceptable, but what you would expect? If people are going to react in anger to heinous deeds, they are not likely to wait 6 months or spread them out evenly over the ensuing year. I'm sure everyone will agree that if the rise is maintained and the rate becomes 38 per month for an extended period of time we may be facing a bigger problem than an almost immediate reaction to specific events.

Secondly, we need to examine what is being included under the broad heading of "hate crimes:"

1) Relatively moderate property damage to mosques: broken windows, overturned furniture and graffiti
2) Threats: Both death threats and less specific ones.
3) Relatively moderate assaults - a single punch thrown at one man, a single kick leveled at a woman's leg, stones thrown at a woman's car, etc
4) 20 people, some of who were armed, demonstrating outside of a mosque in Texas.
5) Placing a pig's head outside of a mosque
6) Sending "hate mail" to CAIR - one letter containing white powder that proved to be harmless
7) Verbal abuse

Of course these actions, with the possible exception of #4, are uncivil at best, and criminal at wort, and any in which it is proven that a law was violated, the perpetrator(s) should be prosecuted and appropriately punished. These are not excusable reactions to any Islamist attacks and American Muslims should not have to suffer even the slightest of offenses, because of deeds for which they share no guilt.

However, they are not even remotely comparable to the crimes committed by Islamist terrorists. Getting screamed at and kicked by a stranger on a train is no small thing, and it, undoubtedly upset the victim very much, but it is not the equivalent of rape, sexual slavery, being burned alive, thrown from the top of a building, tortured (as is now being reported happened to the victims in the Paris theater, shot, or beheaded.

This is not to say that these "hate crimes" must rise to the level (or sink to the depths) of the heinous deeds of barbarous Jihadi in order for us to take them seriously, but at their current severity and frequency they are not even in the same city, let alone the same ballpark with those of ISIS, and they certainly don't provide the chief law enforcement official of the country with reason to be as or more concerned about them than by possible attacks by ISIS. It's simply hysterical (and by this I don't mean "funny") to suggest they do.

Thirdly, there were far more "hate crimes" directed at Jews than Muslims in 2014. 71% more to be precise. According to the FBI there was an average of 15.4 hate crimes directed at Muslims in 2014 (If this and the number cited by the NYT are correct, it means the rate went down in 2015 over 2014). During the same time period, there were 54 per month directed against Jews.

That there are significantly more hate crimes in American that are directed towards Jews than there are those where Muslims are targeted, does not make those against Muslims insignificant or any less of a problem, but it does make one wonder where all the progressives wringing their hands and gnashing their teeth about Jewish hate crimes may be, and why the Attorney General of the US doesn't think they are of more concern than Muslims hate crimes, which in her mind are more disconcerting than Muslim terrorist attacks. For that matter there are significantly more hate crimes directed at blacks than Jews so if hate crimes were more worrisome that terrorist attacks, one would have expected her to focus on those targeting people for their race rather than their Muslim faith. Of course she can be concerned about all of them but she deliberately highlighted those made against Muslims and to the exclusion of all others.

Earlier in December of 2015 Ms. Lynch spoke at the annual Muslim Advocates dinner and informed the audience calling for action against Islamaphobes that since 9/11 the Feds have investigated over 1,000 alleged hate crimes against Muslims and as a result there have been 45 prosecutions. Unfortunately she didn't report on the results of these prosecution, but one can reasonably surmise that the Feds didn't have a 100% success record (not only on the basis of historical win rates but because had their record been perfect, it is highly likely the Attorney General would not have highlighted it in her talk). Never-the-less, this means that (using the minimum of 1,000 as the total) only 9.5% of the investigations resulted in prosecution (let alone conviction). If prosecution alone is considered "success" then a rate of less than 10% suggests that either the DOJ is pretty ineffectual or that there are a plethora of false claims made or least ones where there is insufficient evidence, that they did occur, to warrant prosecution.

So the question, I can't answer at this time, is whether or not the 38 since the two ISIS led attacks in France and the US where simply reported incidences or cases where prosecution had been undertaken. Considering that the "bombshell" report on these incidents came out shortly after the attacks, I think it's reasonable to assume they are all still under investigation or only a minimal amount have actually led to prosecution. Now, from a relative standpoint, I don't think 38 is anything like an unthinkably high number, but if we apply the DOJ's historical "success" rate to them, only 4 will result in prosecution, and less to conviction.Those are not the numbers of an epidemic of hate caused threats and violence.

There is a reason progressives (including progressive politicians) are fixated on the bogeyman of an anti-Muslim back-lash to the extent that it supercedes their concern for Muslim terrorist attacks and it's extremely difficult to imagine it has to do with anything other than politics and ideology.

It is not a coincidence that groups like CAIR and progressive news sources like the NY Times, in reporting and/or discussing this supposedly earth-shattering revelation, almost immediately draw a connection between the "hate filled" rhetoric of candidates for the Republican nomination for president, and specifically name two, Donald Trump and Ted Cruz...who just happen to be the current leaders in that political race.

And some people can't figure this out either.
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 04:29 pm
@layman,
With all due respect to the local papers I have a feeling that Bundy & Co may not have had this outcome planned all along. If they did, it is admirable form a communication standpoint.

I can't support it though, probably because I just don't believe it was a well thought out master plan. All of the original talk about willing to shoot it out with the Feds was genuine enough to have made it a possibility if someone on the Federal side was stupid enough or filled with enough politically minded swagger to order a confrontation.

Thanks Goodness this appears to have been the case, but I feel pretty certain that there were voices in the White House urging an armed confrontation. Apparently lessons were learned from Waco and Ruby Ridge.

Of course Bundy & Co are now going to say "Yeah, that's what we planned all along," and they may even offer as evidence that which they have been roundly mocked for: Their apparent failure to prepare for a lengthy siege. However unless they prove that, despite their carrying a full load of weapons, they left all of their ammo behind, I'm not buying it.
layman

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 04:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
However unless they prove that, despite their carrying a full load of weapons, they left all of their ammo behind, I'm not buying it.

Not following ya here, Finn. Shortly after the thing began, Bundy confidently said: "They're not going to storm us." Apart from Montel Williams, and his ilk, I thing everybody knew there was not going to be a siege.

The threat of "self-defense" was a dramatic ploy, but one they probably thought very unlikely to be necessary. These guys are smarter than most give them credit for, I think.
blatham

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 04:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
It is not a coincidence that groups like CAIR and progressive news sources like the NY Times, in reporting and/or discussing this supposedly earth-shattering revelation, almost immediately draw a connection between the "hate filled" rhetoric of candidates for the Republican nomination for president, and specifically name two, Donald Trump and Ted Cruz...who just happen to be the current leaders in that political race.

And some people can't figure this out either.

We are experiencing warpitude. Hand on crew.

The proposition that commentary and tone re Cruz and Trump is a consequence of liberal strategy to demean because of their present standing in polls is rather forgetful.
1) it long predates their ascent to these giddy heights
2) I trust I don't need to reference statements from Boehner, McConnell,
McCain and just about any other senator outside of the Freedom Caucus regarding Cruz, do I? I mean, goodness.
3) I trust I don't need to link in quotes from NRO or Weekly Standard or from most anywhere across the right wing media universe that isn't completely insane on Trump, do I?
4) but I will link this current piece by Yuval Levin, if you don't mind...
http://bit.ly/1SN3hi0
0 Replies

layman

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 04:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I just don't believe it was a well thought out master plan.

Well, the story is about how the takeover had been planned for months if other action to get the Hammonds off didn't succeed. And they tried many other plans. They begged the local sheriff to put the Hammonds in "protective custody" to save them from the feds. They filed petitions signed by over 10,000 people. They helped organize the ineffective "protest march" in Burns.

How "well thought out" the plan was is subject to debate, but it wasn't a spur of the moment impulsive action.
0 Replies

parados

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 04:57 pm
@layman,
Quote:
The threat of "self-defense" was a dramatic ploy, but one they probably thought very unlikely to be necessary. These guys are smarter than most give them credit for, I think.

Yeah, because smart people put out video of themselves violating the law.
So far we have video of them vandalizing US property, accessing US computer systems, stated claims they are actively looking up information about Federal employees on those same US computer systems, driving around in US vehicles. Yeah, these are smart guys right up until they end up in court and have to deny they did what they released video showing themselves doing.
layman

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 05:06 pm
@parados,
Quote:
So far we have video of them vandalizing US property, accessing US computer systems, stated claims they are actively looking up information about Federal employees on those same US computer systems, driving around in US vehicles. Yeah, these are smart guys right up until they end up in court and have to deny they did what they released video showing themselves doing.

Since you "have" those videos, perhaps you could give links to all of them, eh, Parry?

Put another way, if you didn't just make this up, then prove it. I don't believe you.

Quote:
The leader of a small, armed group occupying a national wildlife refuge in southeastern Oregon said Monday he and his followers are going through government documents stored inside refuge buildings.... Bundy said his group is not accessing government computers at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, including personnel files.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/armed-militia-says-it-has-accessed-government-files-at-oregon-refuge/
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 06:18 pm
@layman,
I agree that they are not the morons the left is depicting them as, and I'm convinced that they didn't want a show-down with the Feds, but, whether or not it was a well planned dramatic ploy, the speech about dying if need be and not going down without a fight seemed in keeping with their general philosophy. My point is that, regardless of their intent, the whole thing could have been a disaster if at any point they fired at the authorities. In the heat of a confrontation, the only way they could have been sure that this wouldn't have happened was if they had no ammo.

0 Replies

NSFW (view)
boomerang

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 07:44 pm
In more serious news:

Quote:
An Oregon judge says he will bill Ammon Bundy up to $70,000 a day to reimburse Harney County for security costs related to the ongoing occupation of a wildlife refuge.

More: http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/oregon-judge-plans-to-bill-ammon-bundy-up-to-70000-a-day-for-security-costs-to-county/
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 08:15 pm
@boomerang,
At least the fellow had a chuckle in him there. That's a good sign. As to the dick-contributors, my kind of people, I confess.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 08:43 pm
These 'patriot' folks are really quite PC. Imagine if one of them pushed the envelope a bit and, on his house, raised the flag of Yemen. I'm guessing there would be one heck of a commotion.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 10:48 pm
These eco-terrorists have infiltrated government with their sympathizers, eh? Remember James Hansen, the NASA guy who set off the whole alarmist approach to climate issues? The guy who has been arrested at least 4 times at "green rallies" for obstructing the cops, and ****? The guy who called Obama's Paris climate agreement "bullshit," and a "fraud?" He endorses the sentiments of this extremist:

Quote:
Prominent NASA global warming alarmist Dr. James Hansen has endorsed an eco-fascist book that calls for cities to be razed to the ground, industrial civilization to be destroyed and genocidal population reduction measures to be implemented in the name of preventing climate change.

Hansen, who was back in the news today commenting on a NASA press release that claims the last decade was the warmest on record, said that Keith Farnish, author of a new book called Time’s Up, is correct in calling for acts of sabotage and environmental terrorism in blowing up dams and demolishing cities in order to return the planet to the agrarian age.

“The only way to prevent global ecological collapse and thus ensure the survival of humanity is to rid the world of Industrial Civilization,” writes Farnish, adding that “people will die in huge numbers when civilization collapses”. Unloading essentially means the removal of an existing burden: for instance, removing grazing domesticated animals, razing cities to the ground, blowing up dams and switching off the greenhouse gas emissions machine."

“Keith Farnish has it right: time has practically run out, and the ’system’ is the problem,” wrote Dr. James Hansen on the Amazon website.

http://www.infowars.com/nasa-global-warming-alarmist-endorses-book-that-calls-for-mass-genocide/

We need a new Joe McCarthy and a committee on unhuman activities to clear these fanatics out of government, I figure.

Bundy might be just the guy to run it, too. "Unloading essentially means the removal of an existing burden: for instance, removing grazing domesticated animals..." Not no homey of ranchers there, eh? They should put his ass out there in the one of the refuge buildings the ranchers took over, so they could slap some sense into his sorry ass, eh? Or just bust a cap in his ass and be done with it, ya know?

layman

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 11:53 pm
Everybody seems to hate the BLM, eh? I guess Bundy and the eco-terrorists do have some things in common.
Quote:

Update, Oct. 26, 2015: Three years ago, we revealed that the federal government, which is supposed to protect wild horses, was instead selling them to an advocate of horse slaughter. It wasn't clear what happened to the horses after that. Now it is: a government report has found that 1,700 protected horses were killed.

The BLM did something it has done increasingly over the last few years. It turned to a little-known Colorado livestock hauler named Tom Davis who was willing to buy hundreds of horses at a time, sight unseen, for $10 a head.

The BLM has sold Davis at least 1,700 wild horses and burros since 2009, agency records show -- 70 percent of the animals purchased through its sale program.

Davis is a longtime advocate of horse slaughter. By his own account, he has ducked Colorado law to move animals across state lines and will not say where they end up. He continues to buy wild horses for slaughter from Indian reservations, which are not protected by the same laws. And since 2010, he has been seeking investors for a slaughterhouse of his own.

"Hell, some of the finest meat you will ever eat is a fat yearling colt," he said. "What is wrong with taking all those BLM horses they got all fat and shiny and setting up a kill plant?"

Some BLM employees say privately that wild horse program officials may not want to look too closely at Davis. Investigations in the late 1980s and 1990s showed that many adopters, including several BLM employees, had turned a quick profit by selling the horses to slaughterhouses.

Davis has paid the BLM a total of $17,630 for the animals, far less than BLM has expended to provide them – the agency estimates it costs $1,000 to roundup a wild horse and records show it has paid as much as $5,000 per truckload to ship them to Davis. Similar horses that are not acquired from the BLM and can legally be sold for slaughter fetch $300,000 to $600,000 on the open market, according to sales prices from regional livestock auctions.

Davis said BLM employees occasionally asked where his horses ended up, but said he tells them it’s “none of your damn business.”

"They never question me too hard. It makes 'em look good if they're movin' these horses, see?" he said. "Every horse I take from them saves them a lot of money. I’m doing them a favor. I’m doing the American people a favor."

$10 a head for horses when cows cost $2,000 with a lot less meat on them, eh? Can you say "kickback?" Seems the BLM employees can't buy them themselves any more, so they sell to Tom Davis. Someone's getting fat at the BLM, but it aint "the American people," eh?
0 Replies

layman

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 11:55 pm
@layman,
Forgot to give the link, eh?

http://www.propublica.org/article/missing-what-happened-to-wild-horses-tom-davis-bought-from-the-govt

Ya can let cattle graze on federal land when horses need to get fattened up for Mexican horsemeat, and BLM employee profit, eh?
0 Replies