Hundreds of Armed Right-Wing Militia Members Take Over Federal Building

bobsal u1553115

Mon 11 Jan, 2016 03:22 pm
@layman,
Bull ****. Being a cop is safer than a lot of "normal" jobs including fishing, construction, agriculture, mining, firefighting.
layman

Mon 11 Jan, 2016 04:10 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Somehow they aren't on the list of Far Right Wing Attacks.

Is this a red herring or a strawman argument from you?

Once again proving that you aint exactly the brightest candle on the birthday cake, eh, Parry? Ever heard of Karl Marx, I wonder?

Quote:
The concept of Property Rights and private ownership of property are concepts that they wish to abolish. This comes from the Marxist doctrine that is at the center of their core beliefs.
layman

Mon 11 Jan, 2016 04:39 pm
Quote:
Published March 31, 2008

For nearly seven years, the nation has turned its terror focus on Al Qaeda and the hunt for Usama bin Laden. But there is a domestic terror threat that federal officials still consider priority No. 1 — eco-terrorism.

"It remains what we would probably consider the No. 1 domestic terrorism threat, because they have successfully continued to conduct different types of attacks in and around the country," said FBI Special Agent Richard Kolko.

Bron Taylor, a professor of religion and nature at the University of Florida said: "They believe that the human species is perpetrating a war on nature and that those who are connected to nature and belong to it have a right to defend themselves." Members who carry out attacks in the name of nature tend to be of college age and well educated.

For years, officials have battled against members of shadowy groups such as the Earth Liberation Front and its brother-in-arms, the Animal Liberation Front. Law enforcement has made strides prosecuting cells, but it's been unable to end the arsons that have plagued developments encroaching on rural lands in the West.

FBI estimates place damages from these attacks at well over $100 million. It's a problem that's unlikely to go away....The FBI currently has 180 ongoing eco-terror investigations and over the last several years has tied them to some 1,800 criminal acts, Kolko said

blatham

Mon 11 Jan, 2016 05:09 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Being a cop is safer than a lot of "normal" jobs including fishing, construction, agriculture, mining, firefighting.

That is so. Information very easy to find.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cfoi.pdf
0 Replies

puzzledperson

Mon 11 Jan, 2016 05:57 pm
@layman,
A couple of interesting background articles:

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/2001/left-wing-earth-liberation-front-advocates-extremist-agenda

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/2004/former-earth-liberation-front-spokesperson-craig-rosebraugh-calls-supporters-revolution

That said, no deaths or injuries have resulted from the group's actions, so far as I can tell. Which is more than you can say about the KKK, neo-Nazis, and the "Patriot" movement that spawned Timothy McVeigh. Which is all the more remarkable given that the group is largely unorganized and anyone can make themselves a member by calling themselves members.

0 Replies

parados

Mon 11 Jan, 2016 06:26 pm
@layman,
So it's a red herring? You complained about the lists of RW terrorist deahs compared to Jihadist terrorist deaths. Now you introduce LW property terrorism which has nothing to do with either of those things.
0 Replies

parados

Mon 11 Jan, 2016 06:28 pm
@layman,
2008. Before the rise of RW militia terror groups in response to Obama being elected.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/opinion/the-other-terror-threat.html
cicerone imposter

Mon 11 Jan, 2016 08:38 pm
@parados,
This sentence from that article.
Quote:
But headlines can mislead. The main terrorist threat in the United States is not from violent Muslim extremists, but from right-wing extremists. Just ask the police.
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 11 Jan, 2016 09:10 pm
@George,
George wrote:

I don't have a handgun, but I got loaded last night.

When I create my own community, I don't plan on implementing a lot of rules, but there's one which I will definitely set and that is ban on all puns!
layman

Mon 11 Jan, 2016 10:28 pm
layman wrote:

parados wrote:

So it's a red herring? You complained about the lists of RW terrorist deahs compared to Jihadist terrorist deaths. Now you introduce LW property terrorism which has nothing to do with either of those things.

Yeah, they're different. Muslims and white supremacists have particular targets. These left wing eco-fascists don't discriminate. They want to kill everybody. The want to destroy civilization itself. They were recently caught attempting to poison (with insecticides) baby formula being sold all over the world.

Quote:
It's been easy to pooh-pooh the FBI's insistence in recent years that the Earth Liberation Front is the nation's No. 1 domestic terror threat.

Now, with the publication of a revolutionary manifesto by Craig Rosebraugh, the ELF's former spokesperson and public face, many skeptics will give the FBI's domestic-terror rankings a second look.

And some might even conclude that the agency was right all along. After all, Rosebraugh echoes a faction of his former group, which last year called on activists to "pick up the gun" and forget about nonviolence.

"It is time for us all to stop being the good citizens," Rosebraugh writes at the end of The Logic of Political Violence. "It is time to stop pretending that our own inactions are serving any purpose but to appease personal consciences. It is time for a revolution in the United States of America."

And what will this revolution entail? Bombs and guns, for one thing.

"[A] revolution in the United States ...cannot be successful without the implementation of violence." Rosebraugh points out the.. "crucial role political violence has played in progressing struggles for justice" elsewhere in the world, including Cuba, Ireland, Algeria and North Vietnam."

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/2004/former-earth-liberation-front-spokesperson-craig-rosebraugh-calls-supporters-revolution

These nuts literally want to set civilization back to the stone age. They argue that farming is a terrible thing. Their master plan to destroy hydro-dams, nuclear plants, flood massive areas of the earth are designed to exterminate billions of people. Man is the scourge of the earth, and must be destroyed.

Quote:
like most groups on the radical right today, the ELF sees global capitalism as an enemy. A recent communiqué announced that the group, which espouses "militant direct action ... by any means necessary," will now target "F.B.I. offices and U.S. federal buildings," "liberal democracy," and even "industrial civilization" itself.

"A typical group of animal rights activists looks whiter and blonder than a typical group of KKK members," enthused one recent Internet posting from a neo-fascist "Third Position" group... "The worst abuses of animals are almost always done by mud peoples. ... Hitler and Wagner were both vegetarians."

The message suggests a training camp for "monkey-wrenching" eco-vandals and the establishment of a vigilante "Earth Police." From there, the proposals get scarier: "Ask the governments of Iraq, Iran and Libya for a million dollars or so to help harass the U.S."

Or, in the spirit of educating the young, offer a prize "to the high school student who comes up with the best plan to bring about the destruction of civilization without seriously harming the biosphere."

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/2001/left-wing-earth-liberation-front-advocates-extremist-agenda

Seeking funding from America's enemies in order to destroy America, eh? Good thing they didn't get the keys to a visitor center and decide to stay there out of the cold, eh? THAT would have been terrible.

0 Replies

layman

Mon 11 Jan, 2016 10:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

This sentence from that article.
Quote:
But headlines can mislead. The main terrorist threat in the United States is not from violent Muslim extremists, but from right-wing extremists. Just ask the police.

Heh, you want to rely on a sentence from a left-wing newspaper article, eh? Why not quote the counter-terrorism experts at the FBI, like I did, I wonder?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 12:06 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

2008. Before the rise of RW militia terror groups in response to Obama being elected.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/opinion/the-other-terror-threat.html

On more than one occasion I have posted in a thread without reading all the prior pages of posts so this isn't in anyway a criticism, but puzzledperson posted a link to this article back on page 11 -

The following was my response. No need to elaborate further.

I wrote:
The NYT op-ed is misleading in its attempt to make the case that right-wing groups present a greater threat to the US than Islamists. Although 382 officers were polled, the authors seem to be able find only one who unequivocally states that right-wingers are a greater threat than Islamists. A second officer ranked right-wingers "higher" than Islamists because the level of intelligence available concerning the former is lower that that available concerning the latter. This, arguably makes them less predictable and thus, to a certain, extent more difficult to deal with, it doesn't follow that they are the greater threat to America.

It's not at all surprising that officers around the country perceive right-wing extremists a great threat to their jurisdiction than jihadi. Only with the advent of ISIS inspired "home grown" jihadists has the threat of Islamist terrorism been considered realistic in Anytown USA. Al Qaeda operatives, successful or thwarted, we're looking for big impact, symbolic attacks. For the most part, the radicalized Muslim American isn't going to be capable of pulling off such attacks. Instead they have been and will be focusing on local soft targets: recruiting offices in a local shopping center, the holiday party of a local employer. Should these attacks continue and increase in frequency, the police officers in Anytown USA will begin to fear the threats more.

This is not to say there isn't a threat of violence from fringe right-wing groups, but the motivation of people like the authors of the NYT op-ed is very often more to taint conservatism and defend Muslims in the wake of Islamist attacks. The defense of Muslims is a knee-jerk progressive reaction which is entirely unnecessary if the fear is that reasonable people will start thinking that every Muslim is a terrorist. The unreasonable minority who think that way are certainly not going to be persuaded otherwise by an Op-Ed in any newspaper.

I intend to read the cited article from the CTC, but am currently on a plane and heading home. It's interesting to note that on the first page of the website 10 recent publications are profiled. Six are focused exclusively on Islamists. Two, bear covers with photos related to Islamist terrorists, and one is a general study of terrorism which undoubtedly references Islamist terrorists. Only one is devoted to right-wing violence and it is entitled "Challengers From the Sidelines," which one way or another, implies Islamists are the ones on the playing field.

Unfortunately I still haven't had the time to read the CTC article, but I still hope to
layman

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 12:59 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
The defense of Muslims is a knee-jerk progressive reaction which is entirely unnecessary if the fear is that reasonable people will start thinking that every Muslim is a terrorist.

I can't figure out why they even think that's relevant.

A long while back 5-6 Mexican prisoners escaped from the state pen in our state. Most of them had been convicted of murder, so these weren't choir boys, ya know? The authorities had information that they were in the area of our small town, and we had been pre-cautioned. Some guy at the barber shop came in and announced that not ALL Mexicans were murders.

Really!? Like, who knew?

They weren't near our town for long. They were later captured in another state. There was a dead guy in the trunk of the car they were driving, which happened to be the car of that very guy. And he was the dead guy was him.

Seems he saw 5-6 Mexicans walking along the road and offered to give them a lift shortly after his insightful announcement at the barber shop, eh?

He was a nice guy, but nobody ever confused him with Einstein, know what I'm sayin?
blatham

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 05:45 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
When I create my own community, I don't plan on implementing a lot of rules, but there's one which I will definitely set and that is ban on all puns!

Agreed. Punishment - public spanking. And for use of a tired cliche - public spanking of the user's mother.
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 08:20 am
@blatham,
I'm afraid you have just guaranteed the ongoing tsunami of puns as there are plenty of people here who yearn for such a punishment, and you likely have doomed a few mothers to public humiliation, and us to enduring tired cliches, as I can think of some posters who would be stirred by such an exhibition.
blatham

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 08:28 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
That's a compelling counter-thesis. I think perhaps I will cease engaging political science questions and proposals, investing what little time I have left over at mommy-spanking.com
0 Replies

timur

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 08:51 am
I could not do without a thread intended for puns..
blatham

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 09:25 am
@timur,
You may isolate yourselves in some small room or cave somewhere. No problem. I am not an extreme apuntheist.
0 Replies

George

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 09:51 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
. . . as I can think of some posters who would be stirred by such an exhibition.
Shaken, perhaps. But not stirred.
0 Replies

timur

Tue 12 Jan, 2016 09:57 am
Blatham wrote:
You may isolate yourselves in some small room or cave somewhere.

An assumption I do not share.

From my experience, lots of people like puns, especially fine ones..

“Puns are the highest form of literature.”
― Alfred Hitchcock
0 Replies