@chai2,
That's funny, made me laugh out loud.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 05:38 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

He wants women laminated?

Conan wants to hear women weep after destroying their tribes/warriors. It makes sense as part of the movie.

I have NO IDEA what Layman wants or means with that video. Maybe that's how they respond after a night out with him...who knows.
Below viewing threshold (view)
chai2

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 06:52 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

chai2 wrote:

He wants women laminated?

Conan wants to hear women weep after destroying their tribes/warriors. It makes sense as part of the movie.

I have NO IDEA what Layman wants or means with that video. Maybe that's how they respond after a night out with him...who knows.

0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2018 07:55 am
@layman,
The idea that grunges and hatred are toxic to ourselves and society is pretty basic. It's been expressed in many different ways in different cultures. As an illustration, here is how Tierno Bokar, a Malian Sufi from the early 20th century, explained it to his disciples:

Quote:
Men are like walls in which a multitude of small holes would be carved, where white and black birds would nest. The black birds are bad thoughts and bad words; the white birds are good thoughts and good words. The white birds, due to their shape, can only enter into holes for white birds, and the same goes for black birds that can only nest in holes for black birds.

Now, imagine two men who believe they are enemy of each other. Let's call them Yusuf and Ali. One day, Yusuf, convinced that Ali wants to hurt him, feels full of anger towards him and sends him a terrible thought. In doing so, he lets a black bird go, which releases a hole. His black bird flies up to Ali and seeks, to nest there, an empty hole adapted to its shape.

If, for his part, Ali has not sent a black bird to Yusuf, i.e. if he has issued no bad thought, none of his black holes will be empty. Finding nowhere to stay, the black bird of Yusuf will return to its original hole, bringing with it the evil it was charged of, which eventually will bite and destroy Yusuf himself.

Now, let's assume that Ali has issued a bad thought in return. In doing so, he has released a hole where the black bird of Yusuf can enter to drop off a part of its evil and accomplish its mission of destruction. Meanwhile, the black bird of Ali will fly to Yusuf and will stay in the hole released by Yusuf’s black bird.

Two black birds have reached their goal and will work to destroy the man for whom they were intended. But once their task is completed, they will return to their nest of origin, as it is said: "everything returns to its source." The evil of which they were charged is not exhausted, and will turn against their authors and end up destroying them.

The author of a bad thought is therefore punished twice, by both the black bird of his enemy and his own black bird, when it returns to him.

The same thing happens with the white birds: If we only harbor good thoughts towards our enemy while he sends us bad thoughts, his black birds will find no place where to stay within us, and will return to their sender. As for the white birds of good thoughts that we have sent to him, if they don't find any place in our enemy, they will return to us loaded with all their beneficial energy. Thus, if we have only good thoughts for others, no harm, no curse will never reach us in our being.

This is why one should always bless both his friends and his enemies. Not only does these blessings go toward their goal, to accomplish their mission of appeasement, but they also come back to us, one day or the other, with all the good they were carrying.

From: Vie et Enseignement de Tierno Bokar, by Amadou Hampâté Bâ - Trsl: O5.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2018 02:38 pm
@Olivier5,
A very good, but long tale. I prefer the Christian enjoiner that we "do unto others as we would have them do to ourselves". There are versions of this in the literature of other religions as well. It lacks the (very effective) downstream consequential warnings of your cited tale, but is briefer and, I think, a bit more eloquent.

I recall here the Jesuit definition of eloquence.... "clarity, brevity and poetry".
Olivier5

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2018 03:39 pm
@georgeob1,
Yes it's a bit long. Bokar tended to lay it out a bit thick, I guess because he was teaching kids.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2018 05:29 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
recall here the Jesuit definition of eloquence.... "clarity, brevity and poetry".

As father Jezzy James would have made it even more brief. Hed say
"Concise and precise"
glitterbag

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2018 05:31 pm
@farmerman,
That sounds more like the Jesuits I've known.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2018 07:14 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

"Concise and precise"

Father Troy at Gonzaga HS, in describing the usual ingredients for rhetorical or literary eloquence listed them as - "clarity, brevity, poetry and plagiarism".
laughoutlood

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2018 08:47 pm
Je suis ce que je suis, et si je suis ce que je suis, qu'est-ce que je suis?

What is an epigram?
A dwarfish whole
It's body brevity
And with its soul
Olivier5

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 12:31 am
@georgeob1,
Good one. And so true!
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 12:33 am
@laughoutlood,
Ben... ce que tu es.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 04:33 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
"Concise and precise"
No, no, that was the other Jezzy. He wants the gold too but he don’t use no guns to hold anybody up.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2018 05:30 am
This thread is fodder for analysis of trolling.

https://able2know.org/topic/465316-1#post-6666570

Koko fans were gathering for an impromptu wake when Max comes in, as he often does, with an irritating opinion.

Max is then attacked and trolled by people who use great amounts of space to tell Max how they don’t care what he says and that they’re not mad.

It would be funny if it wasn’t so sad.