The rules are changing, we are going to start showing the assholes the door

Olivier5

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 07:55 am
@blatham,
Ha, you'd rather use al dente spaghetti to beat me up. I leave in Italy.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 08:13 am
@Olivier5,
errr... "live"
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 08:47 am
@Olivier5,

(i thought you were just saying it with an accent...)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 08:52 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

(i thought you were just saying it with an accent...)
[It sounded a bit like crème brûlée]
oralloy

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 08:57 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Exactly. These are almost always just dominance contests with a crippled opponent.
It's a bit much for you of all people to suggest that your opponents are cripples.

How many of your supposedly crippled opponents feign intellectualism by pointing at other people and yelling "Look everyone! I think what that guy thinks!"?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 08:58 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I'd welcome the prospect of being beaten up with crème brulée. Please use a lot of it. :-)
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 09:02 am
@Region Philbis,
That'd be more something like: Eye liver ineh eat-a-lee.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 09:04 am
I wouldn't mind if someone threw a poached pear or two toward me. I'll get my glove out.

https://timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/150326-girls-baseball-01.jpg?quality=85&w=457
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 09:19 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
To be honest, sometimes it takes me awhile to catch on someone is a troll. For whatever that's worth. Once I do, I just distance myself, sit back and enjoy the show
That's just fine. We shouldn't be too quick to consider or label anyone a troll. But those who play this game tend to show their intentions quite quickly. I put them on ignore as soon as such patterns of behavior reveal themselves. I find zero value in reading these people and (how is this not clear?) only negative value in "arguing" with them.

Perhaps it is online culture or A2K culture. Or perhaps some romantic notion that rational argumentation will change these peoples' minds. The evidence contradicting that hopeful notion is so overwhelming that I truly cannot fathom why people try again and again and again, endlessly.

Very interesting statements above. I suspect there is some bias among all of us in labelling others as a "troll", involving greater selection among those persistent types, who also disagree with us. I agree that persistent, monotone folks who merely repeat themselves without factual or insightful input are not very interesting and, if they also frequently indulge in name calling, are offensive. In either case there's not much to be had in conversing with them.

There's another element that has not yet been addressed here. I think that most of us have likely learned a few lessons about some unique features of on line communications, particularly among folks who don't know each other well. There are no inflections, facial expressions, gestures or body language present in on line discussions - only the words we type. That can alter the communications we intend and add a new dimension of potential disagreement, conflict, or misunderstanding in any on line conversation.

Blatham's last paragraph above is fascinating -"... the perhaps romantic notion that rational argument will change these people's minds". It appears Blatham was referring to trolls here, but I have learned that this insightful observation applies very well to a much broader group of posters here, and people generally. I have frequently had the experience of investing in efforts to change the beliefs and behaviors of individuals and groups of people, and have come to learn how difficult it is, and how little is achieved by mere words and persuasion. Actions designed to cause those, whom one intends to influence, to experience and learn the intended lessons for themselves are usually the most effective means. I have also (after some substantial, and sometimes painful experience) come to value outcomes involving only a major part of what I intended. Human nature is complex and persistent : complete agreement is costly, rare, and usually ephemeral.

All that said, our behavior here, including my own, and that of Blatham, Setanta, Oliver, and others here does indeed involve persistent efforts to persuade and get agreement. All of us have exhibited intolerance of opposing views and focused our favor on those who agree with us, often to the disadvantage of those who don't. A sense of irony and appreciation for the complexities of our shared human natures is the only remedy I know of for this dilemma. Indeed it sustains me daily.

Olivier5

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 09:39 am
@georgeob1,
In other words, we're all somebody's troll...
Below viewing threshold (view)
Olivier5

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 10:36 am
@oralloy,
I like to piss off trolls, aka to give them their own medecine. And that makes me somebody's troll... I'm fine with that.

I never thought of you as a troll, although you do post things for the sole purpose of generating outrage, occasionally, which technically should make you a troll. You just aren't very good at it.
maporsche

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 10:39 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
I never thought of you as a troll, although you do post things for the sole purpose of generating outrage, occasionally, which technically should make you a troll. You just aren't very good at it.

I think Georgeob1 summed up Oralloy pretty good (although not referring to him by name) when he just recently said:

Quote:
I agree that persistent, monotone folks who merely repeat themselves without factual or insightful input are not very interesting
Olivier5

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 11:48 am
@maporsche,
I agree that such monotony is often meant to annoy and therefore amounts to trolling. Not that oral is particularly good at it -- Frank Kapisa was much better I think -- but that's the idea.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 01:32 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
the absolute truth

err... like what?
Olivier5

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 02:41 pm
@oralloy,
It was not at the highest point of WW2 by far. D day was maybe, or Stalingrad? How would you define "highest" in the first place? Number of death? Look at this (massively interesting but not for the faint hearted) infographic video on the number of people who died in WW2; eg at 2:30.

And the targets were not military. The point was to kill as many civilians as possible.