The rules are changing, we are going to start showing the assholes the door

oralloy

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 03:05 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
It was not at the highest point of WW2 by far. D day was maybe, or Stalingrad? How would you define "highest" in the first place? Number of death? Look at this (massively interesting but not for the faint hearted) infographic video on the number of people who died in WW2; eg at 2:30.
Had Japan not surrendered and we progressed to invasion, the American casualties from the invasion were projected to equal all the casualties that we had sustained in WWII up to that point. So if Japan had kept refusing to surrender, Hiroshima and Nagasaki would have marked the halfway point of the war.

In fact, we still have Purple Heart medals minted in expectation of the invasion of Japan left to hand out to wounded soldiers. All of the casualties of the Korean and Vietnam Wars combined were not enough to exhaust the stockpile that we had built up just to deal with the invasion of Japan.

Olivier5 wrote:
And the targets were not military. The point was to kill as many civilians as possible.
That is incorrect. There was no intent to harm civilians.

Hiroshima was a huge military center with tens of thousands of Japanese soldiers. Hiroshima Castle was the military headquarters in charge of repelling any invasion in the southern half of Japan.

The second A-bomb was meant for Kokura Arsenal, a massive (1250 meters by 610 meters) arms production complex. Due to wartime difficulties they were not able to strike that target and ended up dropping the bomb on an industrial zone north of Nagasaki, directly between the Mitsubishi Steel and Arms Works and the Mitsubishi Ordnance Works.

Before WWII, Pearl Harbor had been regarded as immune to air-dropped torpedoes because the water was so shallow that they would embed themselves into the mud. Japan had to invent special torpedoes in order to attack Pearl Harbor, and the Mitsubishi Ordnance Works was the place that designed and built those torpedoes.

The damage to the torpedo factory was most satisfactory.
http://web.archive.org/web/20080917202627if_/cfo.doe.gov/me70/manhattan/images/NagasakiMitsubishiLarge.jpg
http://web.archive.org/web/20060929120212/cfo.doe.gov/me70/manhattan/nagasaki.htm
Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 03:13 pm
@georgeob1,
When you feel like getting all Pope holy and pontificating for us, leave my name out of it.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 04:04 pm
@Setanta,
I will write whatever I choose.
layman

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 04:30 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
That is incorrect. There was no intent to harm civilians

I think the historical facts clearly show otherwise. Check out the spot chosen to drop the A-Bomb in Nagasaki, for example. Sure, Truman got on the radio and said we had bombed a japanese naval base. But that's not where the bomb was aimed. It was aimed at a bridge in the center of the civilian population.

Call it terrorism, if you want. If it saved a million american lives at the expense of a couple hundred thousand japs, I'm cool with that. Even if was ten million japs, know what I'm sayin? There wasn't an American soldier, or any of their family members, alive who didn't cheer the A-bomb drop. You would have too, if you had been them.

Armchair moralists who want to condemn the bombings didn't have THEIR ass on the line, needless to say.
layman

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 05:08 pm
Quote:
According to Japanese historians, Japanese civilian leaders who favored surrender saw their salvation in the atomic bombing. The Japanese military was steadfastly refusing to give up, so the peace faction seized on the bombing as a new argument to force surrender.”

“Koichi Kido, one of Emperor Hirohito's closest advisors, stated: "We of the peace party were assisted by the atomic bomb in our endeavor to end the war." Hisatsune Sakomizu, the chief Cabinet secretary in 1945, called the bombing "a golden opportunity given by heaven for Japan to end the war."

“Waiting for the Japanese to surrender was not a cost-free option: as a result of the war, noncombatants were dying throughout Asia at a rate of about 200,000 per month.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki#Support_for_use_of_atomic_bombs

Dropping those bombs did a tremendous service for humanity, can't ya see?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 05:19 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Technically the term "toll" refers to someone who posts upsetting things solely because he or she enjoys upsetting people.

Many liberals get upset whenever anyone posts facts that puncture their odd delusions, and they misuse the term "troll" to refer to anyone who posts these facts.

Exactly. I have no qualms about pissing off a cheese-eater, but it aint something that requires any effort or intent to accomplish.

Just have a non-cheese-eating opinion and be willing to state it. You will naturally incur the eternal wrath of every cheese-eater in earshot. It's an innate response with them. You might even say it's the very thing that makes them a cheese-eater, ya know?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 05:22 pm
@layman,
Well, unintended consequences doesn't mean unanticipated consequences.
layman

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 05:24 pm
@roger,
True dat, Rog. It's all highly predictable, to be sure.
layman

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 05:33 pm
Trump is a good case in point.

Sure, he often deliberately provokes cheese-eaters, thereby inducing them to display their weakness for all to see.

But it make no difference what he says, or what his intentions, however sincere, are. The cheese-eaters will condemn every word he says, regardless.

Why, you might ask? Because he aint no cheese-eater, that's why.

In my case, for another example, I can do nothing more than quote, verbatim, a post that cheese-eaters have given 7 "upvotes" and simply add that I agree 100% The response to my post? 7 downvotes, without fail.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 06:42 pm
@layman,
Never understood the taboo of civilian casualties in war. Civilians are the ones making the weapons and sending the military out to kill their opponents.

If I hire a hit man to off my wife, am I innocent just because I didn’t pull the trigger?
layman

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 06:59 pm
@Leadfoot,
Exactly, Leddy. As the astute William Temcumseh Sherman once said: "War, it aint nuthin nice."

In Okinawa, Japanese women would throw all their kids off of cliffs before jumping themselves, babies in arms, rather than surrender. In the waning days of WWII virtually every japanese civilian was working to sustain and prolong the war effort, and they were ready to fight to the death in the event of an evasion. They would smoke your ass in a New York second, given half a chance.

Them kind just gotta go.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 07:00 pm
@maporsche,
s'funny

I thought he was being self-referential.
blatham

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 07:04 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
If I hire a hit man to off my wife, am I innocent just because I didn’t pull the trigger?
Are you just asking for a friend?
roger

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 07:05 pm
@Leadfoot,
Good point.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 07:07 pm
@ehBeth,
hahahahahahahahahahaha

well hunker down, i suspect you might be the next recipient of another tired reference such as "doth protest too much" or something similar men of a certain persuasion use because they think they will sound profound, wise or elegant.
layman

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 07:43 pm
Zup with alla yawl wimminz, anyways?

George is the smartest guy here. Ya gotta problem with that?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 07:46 pm
@glitterbag,
someone I read would have to quote it Wink
glitterbag

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 08:12 pm
@ehBeth,
Ha!!!!!
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 10:37 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Are you just asking for a friend?

Sometimes I forget the times we live in.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 11:50 pm
@Leadfoot,
Don't we all?
0 Replies