US-American view on refugees

saab

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 08:51 am
@saab,
According to this there are 106 mosques in Denmark
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 09:31 am
@saab,
We've got 174 mosques in Germany and more than 2,200 "prayer rooms" (aka 'backyard mosques').

[Some very famous mosques in German actually aren't really mosques at all: the Potsdam Mosque, a steamengine house for the Sanssouci castle. the Yenidze, a cigarette factory building, or the Mosque in Schwetzingen castle garden]
saab

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 10:02 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I was in Dresden and stayed Neustadt which I like much more than Dresden.
As a good girl I went to the Frauen Kirche, to the Catholic Church and the Synagog.
In Neustadt I visited the Lutheran Church. As I had seen that there was a Mosque I thought better get one too - went there and it was that old cigarette factory building Yenidze
 http://www.architektur-bildarchiv.de/data/media/preview/detail/Zigarettenfabrik-Yenidze-Dresden-22240.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 10:11 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

It takes at leastt three years until a refugee can start working - all depending on the level of education.

this seems odd.

Some of the Syrian refugees who arrived in Toronto in December and January are already working.
saab

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 10:25 am
@ehBeth,
It is no waz odd.
Many educated Syrians speak English. Noone speaks Danish or Swedish or Finnish.
A great amount of refugees are not Syrians but from North Africa and partly analphabets.
Did you look at the amount of jobs available and the amount of Danes out of work?
It takes time - several months or even years - until an asylee has gotten the status when they are allowed to work. It is different in different European countries. Often they are no even allowed to take part in a language course or work until their papers are in order.
As often they have no doculment they cannot proove where they are from.
Some are registrated under different names and citizenships.
The ones you have probably did not come neither by foot nor by a rubberboat.
They came by airplane I guess and with their documents at hand.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 10:26 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Some of the Syrian refugees who arrived in Toronto in December and January are already working.
Perhaps Danish (or German) is less taught in Syria than English (or French)?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 10:27 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
The ones you have probably did not come neither by foot nor by a rubberboat.
They came by airplane I guess and with their documents at hand.
I just wanted to add that as well ...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 10:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
English/French isn't really necessary. There are a lot of places to work where they can speak Arabic.

They can learn English/French later (as many immigrants to Canada, including my parents, do/did).
ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 10:40 am
@saab,
lots of stuff here on what's been happening and what Canadians can do to help the refugees

one of the keys is private sponsorship and that the refugees can begin working immediately (not in professional fields like medicine, where they have to pass tests to practice)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/syrian-refugee-jobs-toronto-1.3421628

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/01/07/maple-leaf-foods-refugees_n_8933524.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/refugees-canada-arab-media-response-1.3368223

http://www.international.gc.ca/development-developpement/humanitarian_response-situations_crises/syria-syrie.aspx?lang=eng

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/welcome/index.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/welcome/business.asp
ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 10:42 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
Often they are no even allowed to take part in a language course or work until their papers are in order.

this would be considered totally unacceptable here
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 10:45 am
@ehBeth,
Anybody who has to comunicate with others in his/her job has to be able to
speak the language now a days.
The days where you learn a language later is more or less gone. Street sweepers are gone - now we have big complicated machines and you need a driver´s licence. You can only get that by knowing the language.
Claening toilets or doing dishes as lowpaid job does not as a rule make you learn a foreign well spoken language.
I cannot imagen there are many working places you can speak Arabic in Scandinavia.
We do want muslim or arabic ghettoes either we want people to be intergrated in our society.

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 10:47 am
@saab,
Did you read any of the links I posted?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 10:50 am
@ehBeth,
Well, here it is similar like in other European countries: it takes some time until asylum seekers can legally work.
[We've got 26,000 asylum seekers from Syria last month (160,000 in 2015) .... more than 1 million refugees in 2015.]
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 10:50 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
The days where you learn a language later is more or less gone.

not here.

__

We do have an advantage as Canada is really nothing but a country of immigrants. We are used to working with people who are in the early stages of learning a new language - often because we're only years or a generation or two ahead of them.

Threads like this remind me why I am very grateful my parents came here.
saab

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 11:15 am
@ehBeth,
There is a big difference in an immigrant and a refugee.
An immigrant wants to move, wants to work, wants to go ahead and make a better life.

A refugee did not want to move, often cannot work in the country because of lack of education and life will often not be better.

Yes Canada is a country of immigrants, but not that many refugees from not only north Africa but also Somalia.
Canada has a puopulation of 35 million and as far as I could find out has taken about 100 000 refugees the last 10 years
Sweden has a population of 10 million and has taken 314 000 refugees.

Yes I did read the links and I tell you we have also many helping hands to help refugees. We do not have enough housing for them.

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 11:27 am
@saab,
No - immigrants do not necessarily want to move. They often have to - to find work, to find safety etc. They may not meet the requirements to be qualified as refugees, who receive better support here on arrival.

The last 10 years were difficult. Thankfully the government that was in power then is gone now. The new government is bringing in 25,000 within about 3 months, with a commitment to bring more.

There are pros/cons for Canada to bringing in people who have been in camps for extended periods of time. The upside is that they have been vetted by the UNHCR, the downside is pretty considerable decompensation from the time spent in the camps. There's no upside for the refugees themselves.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 11:28 am
@saab,
Housing is becoming an issue in the larger cities, but there is demand in smaller communities to receive refugees. Getting the government to work that out is the current project.
saab

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 11:48 am
@ehBeth,
Take Sweden
We have empty houses in certain areas where there are no jobs. Not a good place to try to intergrat e people.
We have lovely vacation villages in the large forrests. Arabs want to live in the cities. They are so scared they refuse to live there. They have to.
The big cities have problems as they want to live in the inner cities where life is.
So there are ghettoes. Again not the best way to intergrate.
Sweden is so afraid of racist or sexual discrimintion that up till now crimes by non EU citizens where registrated under 291 and were kept secret.

This is how you now how you ought to send out an absolutely PC search warrant.
The bankrubber was a human being . either a man or a woman.
The human being was dressed in a black outfit.
The eyes had a normal colour and the hair was just average neither long nor short.
The human being was 1.80 either a tall woman or a not so tall man - probably not a child.
Sarcasm...

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 01:34 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
No - immigrants do not necessarily want to move. They often have to - to find work, to find safety etc. They may not meet the requirements to be qualified as refugees, who receive better support here on arrival.
Legally, there is a difference between
- a migrant (someone who moves from one place to another in order to live in another country for more than a year),
- a refugee (a person who has fled armed conflict or persecution and who is recognised as needing of international protection because it is too dangerous for them to return home),
- and an asylum seeker (a person who has applied for asylum under the 1951 Refugee Convention on the Status of Refugees on the ground that if he is returned to his country of origin he has a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, political belief or membership of a particular social group).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 01:34 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
The new government is bringing in 25,000 within about 3 months, with a commitment to bring more.

apparently just over 15,000 have arrived since the election

this was released about 20 minutes ago

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/more-canadian-cities-taking-in-syrian-refugees-to-alleviate-housing-shortage/article28537008/

this is interesting

Quote:
The refugees have settled in 165 communities across the country, in 10 provinces and one territory – one family has arrived in the Yukon – according to officials.

since we really only have 3 or 4 large cities and a dozen or so small cities

the Muslim community is spread over much of the country

we had a sitcom about it

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/little-mosque-on-the-prairie/