US-American view on refugees

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 01:48 am
@saab,
Well, the status of a refugee is 'refugee' - might be, some are just 'nornal' immigrants. But that has to be decided by others. (Those above figures are just estimates).

I grew up in our house with four families of refugees (27 persons, besides our family, grandma's and aunt's, who lived there normally).
West-Germany got 11.7 million refugees between 11945 and 1948. (14 million until 1950.)
The percentage of refugees in the German population in 1947:
Soviet Zone: 24.3 %
American Zone: 17.7 %
British Zone: 14.5 %
French Zone: 1.0%

What seems to be totally forgotten as well:
- in 1991, we got 256.112 officially recognised asylum seekers,
- 1992, 438.191
- in 1993, 322.599

Quote:
http://i68.tinypic.com/j62x6r.jpg

(Sources: Federal Office for Migration and Refugees)

saab

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 02:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
When I see the numbers of refugees in West Germany between 1945 and 1950 I every time have difficulties to grasp how it could work so well in such a short time. No infrastructure, cities bombed etc.
After the war some thought it would take up to 100 years to rebuild Germany.
Just fantastic what was done. And to a great extent by women.
Miller

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 07:44 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Miller wrote:

Setanta wrote:

Miller/Foofie is working hard to trash this thread--Miller's anti-goyim bigotry working ...

Laughing Laughing

What I find typical of certain threads is the inference that the U.S. population all think about the subjects that wind up as thread topics on this forum. Folks in the mythical Mayberry could care less about refugees, since they won't be coming to Mayberry. Over half of the U.S. cares more about NASCAR/rodeos/American football/new movies, etc. This country lives in the popular culture. Too many threads give the false impression that the U.S. seems to be populated mainly by Catholic intellectuals. What a crock, in my opinion.

I'm surprised with all the talk about Polish-Americans, that Bernie Sanders, who claims to be a Polish- American, could perhaps become one of the first Polish- Americans to become President of the US. I suppose when Sanders visits Chicago, he'll dwell on his Polish parents. Maybe, he'll speak a little Polish to the crowds...

I've never known any Polish folks named Sanders.
Miller

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 07:51 am
@saab,
You seem to be very confused, but I'll forgive you.
Miller

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 07:56 am
@Foofie,
Laughing
Foofie wrote:

Setanta wrote:

Saab, i suggest to you that Miller/Foofie is just trying to trash the thread and at the same time forward her bigotry. Don't bother with her, she has nothing to say.

I cannot answer for Miller, but my experience meeting midwesterners of mixed Scandanavian/German ancestry, the German side was always talked about proudly, the Scandanavian side was just perfunctorily acknowledged, in my opinion. Sort of like when someone with German Jewish and German Polish ancestry might be more vocal of their German Jewish ancestry, since Einstein was thought of as more German (than Austrian). But, your attempt at having mind reading capabilities for one's motives on a forum is just so Sentantish. But, don't accuse me of being an anti-Setantite.

Very clever! Sounds like something out of a Woody Allen movie! Laughing

saab

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 08:17 am
@Miller,
thanks you so very much for forgiving me being confused.
Regarding what?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 08:22 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
Well, his father changed the family from Gutman to Sanders.

His father's family is actually from Galicia (Austria-Hungary at that time), while his mother's family is from the (formerly) Polish part of Russia.

Slopnice, where his father was born, is now situated in southern Poland.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 08:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Bernie Sanders' ancestral home in Poland grapples with painful history
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 09:09 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
It's a Jewish name, Yiddish for Sander, and that's short for Alexander.

Especially in the 19th century, and more often in Austria than elsewhere, quite a few Jewish families changed their original Jewish name to Sanders. (Jews were compelled to have family names in the Austro-Hungarian Empire since 1787.)
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 01:05 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Laughing
Foofie wrote:

Setanta wrote:

Saab, i suggest to you that Miller/Foofie is just trying to trash the thread and at the same time forward her bigotry. Don't bother with her, she has nothing to say.

I cannot answer for Miller, but my experience meeting midwesterners of mixed Scandanavian/German ancestry, the German side was always talked about proudly, the Scandanavian side was just perfunctorily acknowledged, in my opinion. Sort of like when someone with German Jewish and German Polish ancestry might be more vocal of their German Jewish ancestry, since Einstein was thought of as more German (than Austrian). But, your attempt at having mind reading capabilities for one's motives on a forum is just so Sentantish. But, don't accuse me of being an anti-Setantite.

Very clever! Sounds like something out of a Woody Allen movie! Laughing

This was originally a Seinfeld episode where his dentist was converting to Judaism, and in Seinfeld's opinion it was for the ability to use Jewish jokes without being accused of being an anti-Semite. Seinfeld was accused by one of the cast of being an anti-dendite, if I remember correctly. Nothing new under the sun, I've heard.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 01:07 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Miller wrote:
Well, his father changed the family from Gutman to Sanders.

His father's family is actually from Galicia (Austria-Hungary at that time), while his mother's family is from the (formerly) Polish part of Russia.

Slopnice, where his father was born, is now situated in southern Poland.

I'd guess most Americans only know that Sanders is from a Jewish family. Your nuanced awareness might correlate as to why the EU may fall apart.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 01:20 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
I'd guess most Americans only know that Sanders is from a Jewish family.
Miller wrote:
I was reponding to the above.

Foofie wrote:
Your nuanced awareness might correlate as to why the EU may fall apart.
Historia est vitae magistra.
Foofie

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 12:40 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foofie wrote:
I'd guess most Americans only know that Sanders is from a Jewish family.
TMiller wrote:
I was reponding to the above.

Foofie wrote:
Your nuanced awareness might correlate as to why the EU may fall apart.
Historia est vitae magistra.m

My thought was in response to your nuanced derivation of the name Sanders. I have a suspicion that your Latin phrase may be a sassy response to my pointing out that Europeans, for all their new European identity, still have deep divisions amongst each other that may eventually pull the EU apart. How/which countries really like the EU? And, how many really like the leadership role of France and Germany? There might be some reluctant members, is an understatement. They like getting work in other countries, but not when their home country is asked to be a "giver" and not a "taker." My opinion only.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 01:06 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
My thought was in response to your nuanced derivation of the name Sanders.
The derivation from Alexander is EU-related?
"Nuanced" would be, if I had speculated, why it is "Sander" as well as "Sanders" (I have no clue).
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 01:52 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:
When I see the numbers of refugees in West Germany between 1945 and 1950 I every time have difficulties to grasp how it could work so well in such a short time. No infrastructure, cities bombed etc.
In 2017 my native town celebrates 800 years town privileges - besides other event, a book (two volumes) of the history will be published.
One sub-chapter is about refugees after WWII.
Our local paper (Geseker Zeitung/Der Patriot) has a report about this in tomorrows (27.02.2016) issues. Just the figures:
1950, my native town had 11,018 inhabitants. 2,034 of those were refugees, 783 others were 'evacuated'.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 04:47 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
How was Gutman converted to "Sanders"?
saab

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 05:50 am
Read this in the paper today.
2014 115 000 children were born in Sweden
2015 162 000 migrants arrived to Sweden
72 000 migrants were under 18 or said they were under 18
8% of the 16 - 18 year old who live in Sweden arrived within the last year
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 07:14 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
How was Gutman converted to "Sanders"?
The prenom Alexander became 'Sanders' -"Sander"/"Sanders" isn't an uncommon name in Germany/Austria.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 08:31 am
@saab,
Quote:
Asylum in the EU Member States
Record number of over 1.2 million first time
asylum seekers registered in 2015
[...]
More than a third applied for asylum in Germany
In 2015, the highest number of first time applicants was registered in Germany (with 441 800 first time applicants,
or 35% of all first time applicants in the EU Member States), followed by Hungary (174 400, or 14%), Sweden (156
100, or 12%), Austria (85 500, or 7%), Italy (83 200, or 7%) and France (70 600, or 6%). Compared with the
previous year, the number of first time asylum applicants in 2015 increased the most in Finland (+822%), ahead of
Hungary (+323%), Austria (+233%), Belgium (+178%), Spain (+167%) and Germany (+155%).
[...]
Highest number of first time applicants relative to the population in Hungary and Sweden
Compared with the population of each Member State, the highest number of registered first time applicants in 2015
was recorded in Hungary (17 699 first time applicants per million inhabitants), ahead of Sweden (16 016), Austria
(9 970), Finland (5 876) and Germany (5 441). In contrast, the lowest numbers were observed in Croatia (34
applicants per million inhabitants), Slovakia (50), Romania (62), Portugal (80) and Lithuania (93). In 2015, there
were on average 2 470 first time asylum applicants per million inhabitants in the EU Member States.
[...]
Almost a million asylum applications pending
Pending applications refer to all persons who have made, at any time, an application for international protection
which is still under consideration by the responsible national authority at the end of the reference period. It thus
refers to the “stock” of applications for which decisions are still pending. This indicator is meant to measure the
workload of the national authorities.
At the end of 2015, 922 800 applications for international protection in the EU Member States were still under
consideration by the responsible national authority. At the end of 2014, there were about half as many (489 300).
With 424 800 pending applications at the end of 2015 (or 46% of the EU total), Germany had the largest share in
the EU, ahead of Sweden (156 700, or 17%) and Italy (60 200, or 7%).
[...]
Source: eurostat news release, 4 March 2016
saab

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 08:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Very clear information - thanks