US-American view on refugees

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 04:11 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks, those two posts help re understanding the situation; I thought as much, but it was guessing.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 05:52 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Miller/Foofie is working hard to trash this thread--Miller's anti-goyim bigotry working ...

Laughing Laughing

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 08:23 am
@Lash,
The Local Court in Cologne has imposed a suspended jail term on a young Moroccan man at a first hearing after thefts and sexual assaults at News Year's Eve.
The 23-year-old Moroccan man got six-month suspended jail term for stealing a mobile phone from a woman on Cologne's crowded railway station forecourt and drug possession. He was also ordered with a fine of 20 daily rates of pay (100 Euro [$110]).

Two more hearings are scheduled this afternoon, dates of the others aren't known as far as I could find out.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 08:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Police in Cologne are investigating 59 suspects in connection with the attacks. Prosecutors say that among the suspects are 25 Algerians, 21 Moroccans, three Tunisians, three Germans, two Syrians, one Iraqi, one Libyan, one Iranian and one man from Montenegro. They include minors and teenagers, as well as asylum seekers and people who have arrived illegally in the country.

Quote:
Only one person, a 26-year-old Algerian asylum seeker, has been arrested on suspicion of sexual assault.
"The CCTV footage is not good enough to clearly identify sexual assaults. We can see some thefts but that's all. We are relying on witness accounts and victims identifying their attackers," said Mr Mathies [Cologne's President of Police].
BBC: Cologne attacks: Most suspects 'may never be caught'
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 10:01 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Two more hearings are scheduled this afternoon, dates of the others aren't known as far as I could find out.
A Tunisian got a three-month suspended jail term for stealing a mobile phone from a woman.
The third, an 18-years old youth from Morocco, got (youth criminal code) a determination of guilt, on probation for two years.

All are rather severe punishments.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 12:40 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Setanta wrote:

Miller/Foofie is working hard to trash this thread--Miller's anti-goyim bigotry working ...

Laughing Laughing

What I find typical of certain threads is the inference that the U.S. population all think about the subjects that wind up as thread topics on this forum. Folks in the mythical Mayberry could care less about refugees, since they won't be coming to Mayberry. Over half of the U.S. cares more about NASCAR/rodeos/American football/new movies, etc. This country lives in the popular culture. Too many threads give the false impression that the U.S. seems to be populated mainly by Catholic intellectuals. What a crock, in my opinion.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 01:00 pm
@Foofie,
Not to agree or disagree, but there are 69 million Catholics in the USA.
saab

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 01:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
....and how many in a population are intellectuals? I am not talkinga about intellegens but real intellectuals. There are not that many either.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 01:18 pm
@saab,
I'm sure it's close to the general population - whatever that may be.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 01:20 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Too many threads give the false impression that the U.S. seems to be populated mainly by Catholic intellectuals. What a crock, in my opinion.
Fun dayn moyl in gots oyern/out of your muzzle into God’s ears.

But actually I never intended this thread to be about Catholicism (in the USA or elsewhere) or intellectuals ...
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 02:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Guess we see intellectual differently.
The majority of people are more or less intellegent, are good to exellent in what they are doing. What kind of job does not matter.
For me an intellectual is a person who engages in critical study, thought, and reflection about the reality of society, in art, litteratur and cultur,philosophy and politics and can combine them and connect history and modern life.
Foofie

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 03:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Not to agree or disagree, but there are 69 million Catholics in the USA.

Isn't it interesting how few Catholics would ever think of becoming some denomination of Protestant, considering that it has been my observation that Protestants are more "comfortable" in the U.S., since they do not have all the emotional baggage that Catholicism seems to put on its adherents. Just my opinion.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 03:36 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:

....and how many in a population are intellectuals? I am not talkinga about intellegens but real intellectuals. There are not that many either.

Not to upset the progressives, but I do think some populations have more people that are introspective, which might just be the foundation for intellectualism. I believe it correlates to certain languages. For example, German and French seem to have words that do not exist in other languages. Somebody was "thinking" to come up with such words, in my opinion. And, books I've read by such authors and translated into English, I believe, broach thoughts that would never be coming from an American author. It's not a matter of sophistication, as many think about Europe, as compared to America, but perhaps an ability or willingness to parse a thought differently that I just don't think I've seen from many American authors. America seems to value the mundane remaining mundane, if you sense my drift.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 03:43 pm
@saab,
How do you identify the individual that meets your criteria?
saab

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 12:22 am
@Foofie,
I think every language has words which do not exist in another language.
There are words you can translate, but peole think of different things.
When a Brit says cosy s/he means somethings else than when a Dane says hyggelig or a German says gemütlich or a Swede hemtrevligt. You can translate the word but the idea is different.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 12:24 am
@cicerone imposter,
You know it when you meet one - and you do not meet them that often. Hear or see them via medias.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 12:37 am
@saab,
Some of us ordinaries are interested in the matters of your last sentences.

Personally, I don't like seeing that as a cold divide.

I remember a very early thread here re the question of what an intellectual was, and I got discounted. I don't claim having read studies of who or whom or Sarte, but I still considering thinking is worthwhile.

saab

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 12:46 am
@ossobuco,
I think most people think and are interested in learning and doing their best and voting for the person they think will be the best. It is not the same as intellectuals as I see them. They are not even always correct. At the moment I have seen some blaming the mess we have in EU on the intellectual leftwinged media gurus.
I think common sence and trying to understand others is more important.
Even when we are interested in all the things I mentioned and know a lot about them - no media will ask us about our opinion.

Got into this because the reference to intellectual Catholics.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 01:17 am
@saab,
According to reports in today's media, the German government is expecting half a million refugees to arrive in the country on average every year for the next five years. (A figure of 3.6 million was calculated on the basis that 2.5 million more refugees would arrive in Germany from 2016 to 2020 in addition to the 1.1 million that came to the country in 2015.)
saab

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 01:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Real refugees - people in need of shelter and help away from war or a mixture of real refugees and migrants?
How will Germany be able to coop with this without the help from from rest of Europe?
Sweden has taken refugees for decades, during WWII Sweden helped and has helped ever since. Now it thinks it has reached the limits more or less.