So how are YOU today?

Roberta

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 11:20 pm
Glad you got to see the doc. Glad someone is in charge. Glad you're taking two weeks off. Glad you got something to help with the pain. Even glad you got the crap magazines.

When is the scan?

I'm not worried that you'll be bored. Strong pain killers will make everything fuzzy. And things that might otherwise appear boring will be less so through the fuzz.
dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 12:14 am
@Roberta,
You're not wrong!

I have never had prescription pain killers before....I was out like a light until they wore off 10 minutes ago!

I suspect I could watch Fox news and be entertained in this state.

Or whatever mindless soap is de rigeur right now.

What mindless soap is de rigeur right now?

I have the 3rd series of The Wire, both seasons of Underbelly (that's an Australian show) and a couple of other DVD treats here.....but I've not had good focus.

I also have 9 books in partial states of readness that couldn't hold my attention.

I have had to cancel all social engagements....so entertainment is necessary.

Perghaps it's time to read all those wonderful workbooks?

I have been renting Weeds, which is a hoot!!! Mebbe it's time to rent Six Feet Under?

Meanwhile, here's to the fuzz!
roger

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 12:36 am
@Thomas,
Right. Some years ago, I had bronchitis so bad I would sometimes feint while coughing. I finally got in the habit of picking something up, just so I didn't waste a trip to the floor.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 12:52 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Ordered to take two weeks off at least!!!! Strong painkillers.

See, you weren't just whingeing about nothing, bunny! I knew it! You knew it, too. Own up!

Act on the professional advice, Deb. Get better!

You won't like this, bunny, but they know better than you about this! Wink
dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 02:59 am
@msolga,
It's only cos I'm such a wuss and the doctor felt sorry for me, I am sure.

Wink

Meanwhile, my new motto is "Just say YES to drugs!"

roger

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 03:03 am
@dlowan,
Fer sure. Too much pain inhibits healing. It's also painful.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 04:12 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Meanwhile, my new motto is "Just say YES to drugs!"

Please add:

"Say NO to the vacuum (the the hell do you spell that? Confused ) cleaner" to your list! Wink
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 03:39 pm
@dlowan,
I'm so glad you got to the doctor and that the daily "work or not work?" agony is in abeyance... Rooting for those industrial-strength pain meds to do the job.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 03:46 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Meanwhile, here's to the fuzz!

Cheers!

I'm glad the doc has laid down the law AND given you meds. You need to give your back a decent chance to get back into balance.

Sit down. I'll give you a hug Very Happy
Thomas

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 04:02 pm
@ehBeth,
But don't you dare squeeze her too hard.... on reflection, she's under the influence of pain killers, so go right ahead!
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 07:57 am
@dlowan,
Glad you got some decent painkillers. Fuzz welcome.

How you doing a couple days on Deb?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 08:10 am
Ooh, an Izzie sighting! Very Happy

I was about to ask you if the drugs were doing the trick, too, Deb. Steuth, I hope so! (And I hope you weren't rearranging the furniture at your place today, Deb! Wink )
dlowan

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 03:53 pm
@msolga,
Had the damn cat scan and x-rays.

Haven't discussed it with doc yet, but physio saw what she expected...(bulging disk.)

There's something weird about a nerve and a possible cyst on said nerve.

And general deterioration.

Didn't see much to explain (to my lay eyes) the amount of bother it's all causing!!!! And the MONEY it's costing!!!!

But I had to shuttle between x-ray people (twice..once to get the things, an hour later to pick them up) work (to fill out pay thing, and have a quick discussion re handling some things) and physio...and a bit of shopping. (WHY do shop assistants insist on helping other shop assistants with lengthy tasks while serving you, when standing still makes you want to scream in pain?) This meant lots of driving and quite a lot of walking...plus a position for x-ray that was REALLY REALLY painful, and stirred things up.

Today I am in lots of pain again and think I need a nothing day. Have made the radio work in my room of exile, so I have Radio National, and CD's if I want them!!!

Will likely arrange to have house cleaned tomorrow...couldn't cope with the disturbance and endless questions about what/how/where stuff disturbance today...am seeing a more expert back physio also tomorrow, and need to get back to doctor (likely Monday.)

But I am at last getting to hear about all the leaks and scandals in Oz!!!

Not to mention the really awful news from Iraq and Iran.

And this polly from the US who disappeared to have an affair, and is now mea culpaing everywhere. Like..whose goddam business is it, except he and his wife's? O strange new world!

But found out I at last have the formal invitation to do a heap of teaching in the APY lands!!! Though my work partrner is not invited at this stage, and I don't want to do this alone...it's too big. Luckily my boss responded about that to the invite (ie it should include worker in other region)..who actually visits the Lands as part of a team from her organisation...so, if only one of us goes, it would more justly be her.

Cat's distressed because we now have separate beds. I can't believe I said that, but it's true.

I keep telling her she can come with me, but she sits on me in ways that hurt, and I have to move her, and she stalks off wailing "You don't love me any more!!!"

I mean, she's REALLY distressed.

What next? I have to hire a cat lover?
Roberta

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:18 pm
I can relate to the day you're having, deb. Wish things were easier for you. A lump day (with meds) sounds like a perfect idea.

And I'll be happy to take care of the feline while you're ailing. Just send her on over. (This would be my second Miranda. Can't have too many Mirandas.)
msolga

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 06:11 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:

Today I am in lots of pain again and think I need a nothing day. Have made the radio work in my room of exile, so I have Radio National, and CD's if I want them!!!

Will likely arrange to have house cleaned tomorrow...couldn't cope with the disturbance and endless questions about what/how/where stuff disturbance today...am seeing a more expert back physio also tomorrow, and need to get back to doctor (likely Monday.)

But I am at last getting to hear about all the leaks and scandals in Oz!!!

Not to mention the really awful news from Iraq and Iran.

Oh this'll cheer you right up, Deb! Really help you to relax! Wink

Really sorry to hear it's been such tough going. I hope today is, at least, a little easier for you. I'm afraid you're stuck with following orders! Ya poor thing! Sad

And poor Miranda, too!

But this will pass. It will! Much more slowly than you'd like, obviously, but it will ... So the trick is to make this painful episode pass as comfortably & patiently (Ha!) as you can. I like the music & DVD supplies stock-up ... and the cleaner! Excellent move!

Hmmmm .... what about a really engrossing TV series (with lots & lots of episodes!) that you could become really involved in? That'll distract you for a while ... (A thought:) I can't recall if you were ever a "fan" of Sea Change (possibly not), but I recently watched the whole series from go to whoa .... Loved it. Still think it has some of the best Oz TV writing & acting I've come across, to date. Distracted me (when I was sorely in need of distraction) for hours & hours, days! But you're gonna say you absolutely hated it! Something tells me! Laughing Anyway, just a thought. I know how much you loathe forced inactivity & boredom.

dlowan

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 08:24 pm
@Roberta,
She'd make you sneeze!!! And wheeze.

But...you'd enjoy the chattiness, the absolute cuddliness and loving looks...and no bites and scratches.

For a day or two.

You'd probably want a good murder attempt after a couple of days.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 08:31 pm
@msolga,
I LOVED Sea Change!!!

I got both Underbellies series on DVD, though....but a damn fine comedy would be good.

Can you believe it?

I didn't check my messages yesterday when I got home from physio etc (about 4.30 pm) but I did today.

One of our brainless admin people rang me to say that a client had shown up yesterday...a kid living in a house with paid carers WHO HAVE FAILED TO GET HIM TO HIS LAST FIVE APPOINTMENTS......and with whose social worker I left a personal message over a week ago explaining that I had been ordered off work and asking her to cancel the appointment, and explain to said child that I was not well, but was thinking of him etc.

Said brainless admin person pointed out that carer had brought him a very long way etc.

WHAT DID SHE THINK I WAS GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?

And asked me to call her.

msolga

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 06:43 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Said brainless admin person pointed out that carer had brought him a very long way etc.

WHAT DID SHE THINK I WAS GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?

why, jump out of bed, take another dose of painkillers & get in there fast, of course! Very Happy
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 12:29 pm
I agee with olga. You were supposed to hop on down.

The cat would not make me crazy. Wheezy yes, crazy no. I lived with Mikey for many years. I have infinite patience with animals (but precious little with people).

How's it going today?
dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 03:31 pm
@Roberta,
I felt like this thread was becoming about me and was never meant to be.

This IS about me!

http://able2know.org/topic/133593-1#post-3687899