Anyone know any books, CD's that really help with pain management?

dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 09:17 am
I am aware that some of the mindfulness stuff seems to help, and I have some of that...but not very specific......but I am really interested if someone has either good personal experience with a mind technique, or knows some well researched techniques available online, or in books, or on CD.

I don't mean stuff like warmth, cold, physios, osteopaths, hydrotherapy etc etc....that's in hand. I mean MENTAL techniques.

This back/leg stuff I am having is getting me down more than I am happy with, and I think I could manage the pain better.

Yes, I have had x-rays/cat scans and am going back to doctor re some odd nerve findings (odd to me) and having good physio...so PLEASE don't focus on stuff like your favourite exercises or practitioner etc. (I don't mean to be rude, but people often go off on all sorts of tangents and part of my letting this get me down too much is I want to bite people's heads off....sorry!)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,098 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 01:32 pm
@dlowan,
When I was dealing with my cancer, I found this to be the best tape that I used to release anxiety.

http://drmiller.pinnaclecart.com/index.php?p=product&id=3&parent=27

I am a big believer in the mind/body connection, and know that the mind has a lot to do with our perception of pain. I have suggested this CD to others, and have gotten some great feedback from people who used this CD. Dr. Miller seems to have some other CDs that could be relevent to your situation.
Take a look, and see if there is anything that sounds interesting to you.

I am not familiar with this tape, but it has possibilities:

http://drmiller.pinnaclecart.com/index.php?p=product&id=4&parent=27
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 01:40 pm
@dlowan,
Hmm...................This looks interesting too. There is a clip of the CD that you can listen to. I love this man's voice. He sounds like warm honey.

http://drmiller.pinnaclecart.com/index.php?p=product&id=18&parent=1
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 01:43 pm
@dlowan,
I'm not sure if this falls under the category of exercises you aren't interested in or mental techniques that you are interested in but I've found that concentrating on my breathing (deep and regular and avoiding the holding of breath that is sometimes instinctual with pain) helps reduce it on a mental level.
chai2

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 01:48 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I was going to say the same thing Robert.
Focusing on bringing breathe in, starting low in the abdomen, moving up to the top, then reversing so the abdomen is the last to empty is soothing.
dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 03:33 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I've been using that technique of yours ever since you discussed it on a how not to come thread! Kind of Lamaze stuff, I think you said.

I've found it great with some incredibly painful massage I have had (which has REALLY helped in other areas) and use it a bit now, thanks. Especially with acute pain.

I use it with this when I have a major wave of pain.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 03:36 pm
@chai2,
yes it is...I uses low breathing and focus on the breath as a meditation/mindfulness meditation....but that isn't really cutting it here...though I may give it a bit more of a try.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 03:38 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Thanks Phoenix, I'll look these up.

I have also emailed a friend who is a pain expert...but seldom looks at her email.
dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 03:47 pm
@dlowan,
Just for anyone who was interested, the x-rays and cat scan and crap have happened:

Quote:
I'm still having mine investigated....(x-rays and cat scans and physios and such) and yes, I have a bulging disk...and some weird stuff happening with a nerve, which seems to be over-size and/or have a cyst or some damn thing, and some sort of narrowing and the usual older person's deterioration. I need to go back to doctor and find what, if anything, the hell that means. Radiologist suggested maybe a MRI...but whatever, I'll just need to see if anything useful emerges from that.

However, after three weeks and all of fairly intense pain that's not being much helped by drugs (including prescription though they certainly take the edge off for a bit) ) and physio and all that, it's making me frazzled, and I damn well know that isn't helping my dealing with it.

That's what I put in the email to the friend.

Mind you, it may well be me being impatient and neurotic about a perfectly normal response to the disk!!!!

What do I know from disks!!

Except, suddenly, everyone has a disk story, and, like birth stories, they're never happy ones!

As far as I am concerned, it's had it's time and attention and it's time for it to behave.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 03:49 pm
@dlowan,
Hmmm...look pretty standard relaxation..I was more looking for pain techniques...unless the back one has those?

Any idea of research into efficacy?
dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:06 pm
@dlowan,
Oh......another request. I was thinking watching some really hilarious comedy DVDs would likely help!

Anybody got ideas for really hilarious stuff that's out on DVD?

Not frat house stuff, and big boobs stuff.....

Not a fussy bitch, am I?

Here's the thread I was thinking of you that you wrote about breathing in, Robert.

It's a classic.

Of course, it turned me off sex forever....but I digress:

http://able2know.org/topic/19266-1

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 12:01 am
I have nothing useful, really, to offer re pain management advice, Deb. Though I do hope you get some good advice here. I'm here to keep up with how you're getting on, keeping track of you (now you've deserted the other thread!) , so to speak! Wink

So how was today then?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 12:51 am
Deb?

No sign of a post from you (anywhere on A2K, that I can see) since yesterday morning.

Are you OK?

message from: Worried of Melbourne. Please ring/post home!)
dlowan

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 02:33 am
@msolga,
Busy yesterday...special back physio, errands etc.

Physio thinks pain related to weird nerve thing more than disk...thinks I need orthpoedic surgeon assesment, MRI etc.

Seeing doctor Monday.

Felt not not bad yesterday, so did too much...bad day tosay.

But cleaner came!!!

House much cleaner.

Can'r sit to type for more than a minute or two.

msolga

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 02:46 am
@dlowan,
Oh phew, here you are, Deb! Very Happy (OK, I'm a worry wart, I admit it!)

Quote:
Physio thinks pain related to weird nerve thing more than disk...thinks I need orthpoedic surgeon assesment, MRI etc.

I'm not sure what this means, Deb. Of more concern than the previous assesment?

Quote:

Felt not not bad yesterday, so did too much...bad day today.

I'm not going to say anything about that, I'm not!

Evil or Very Mad

Quote:

But cleaner came!!!

House much cleaner

Oh good! This should perk you up a bit. Awful looking at mess you can't do anything about!
(Last night I told a friend, that no, she could not visit me... I'd visit her instead. My house is such a mess at the moment, I can't quite believe it. ... er ... how much does your cleaner charge? Wink )

Quote:
Can't sit to type for more than a minute or two.

You poor thing! OK, I won't hassle you to post, Deb.

Until the next time you don't post for a couple of days!
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 02:51 am
Close your eyes and envision the quiet flame on a candle. Inhale and as you breath out, do so as if you're causing the flame to flicker. You don't want to blow out the flame, just make it flicker. Repeat with each breath. Keep your lit candle in your mind's eye and continue your peaceful mission to cause the flame to flicker. It's relaxing and calms the pain.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 03:26 am
@dlowan,
I have a really lousy back...........scoliosis, arthritis, spinal stenosis, a couple of bad disks to boot.For daily pain relief, I use a combination of a light barbiturate and a muscle relaxant. For a time, I have been going for radiofrequency ablation:

http://www.eorthopod.com/public/patient_education/6953/radiofrequency_ablation.html

In this procedure, the doctor deadens the nerves that cause pain. It is not perfect, and ultimately the nerves will regenerate. I have found it to be helpful though, and am in much less pain, (and taking far less medication) than before I started the procedures.

I have had a long talk with my orthopedist, and have seen pictures of my spine in hi-def (oy!). His attitude is that I will know when I need surgery, and will come to him.
0 Replies