BillRM

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 06:31 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
People are deeply connected to trauma they live experiencie

LOL trauma three or so generations in the past is a valid excused to act badly now when the people who have the exposure to Jim Crow sixty years ago did not do so????????

You are not doing the black community any favors by coming up with such invalid excuses for bad behaviors.

Similar to saying that my grandfather have a hard time in combat during WW2 so that is why I just killed my family.
BillRM

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 06:35 pm
@Lash,
Law enforcement is not perfect but when y0u are bleeding to death from a deep wound on your leg dealing with a paper cut on a finger may not be the best solution to your problems.
0 Replies

BillRM

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 06:37 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Only a fool black person would approach a cop in the ghetto.

Why is that a fear that other blacks would turn on him if he did so?
hawkeye10

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 06:37 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
You will not be constrained to polite debate.

I have seen no evidence that BLM is interested in debate, polite or otherwise. Why after all this time has there not been a major debate with a rep from BLM on one side of some stage and some who who disagrees with BLM on the other? You dont know of any either, right?
Lash

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 06:39 pm
@BillRM,
No, that he would be beaten, arrested or killed by the cop.
Lash

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 06:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
I know one guy who is a teacher who is also a spokesperson for BLM - DeRay McKesson. He's a smart, self-managed guy who's trying to keep blacks from being murdered in custody without oversight. You'd respect him.

There's also a guy who wrote a book that may really share insight into what's happening: Ta-Nehisi Coates. Between the World and Me.

These are two great guys.
BillRM

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 06:51 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
No, that he would be beaten, arrested or killed by the cop.

LOL so you are living in a world where cops are just looking for an excused to killed or at least harm any black person they might encounter?

Somehow the fear of black hoodlums being unhappy with any black man who would dare to be friendly with the local cops seems more of a risk to me.

0 Replies

snood

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 07:03 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I know one guy who is a teacher who is also a spokesperson for BLM - DeRay McKesson. He's a smart, self-managed guy who's trying to keep blacks from being murdered in custody without oversight. You'd respect him.

There's also a guy who wrote a book that may really share insight into what's happening: Ta-Nehisi Coates. Between the World and Me.

These are two great guys.

Have you read Coates?
Lash

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 07:10 pm
@snood,
Not yet. I have spoken with him a few times via Twitter re: Bernie and #BLM, and I have just read "about" his books, but I haven't bought them yet. I looked for Between the World and Me at the library, but they didn't have it.

Have you?
Lash

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 07:12 pm
@Lash,
https://twitter.com/tanehisicoates?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
0 Replies

snood

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 07:54 pm
@Lash,
Yes. I absorbed Between the World and Me in two sittings, over about 48 hours.

It's not optimistic about the general outlook for racial relations in the US.
I love Ta-Nehisi Coates. He's being compared to Baldwin by some.

I also read a lot of Cornell West, up until his unfortunate emotional and mental breakdown from being snubbed by Obama.
Lash

Sun 6 Sep, 2015 04:39 am
@snood,
I read his account of how that happened- he asked Toni Morrison to read it, and said he'd love for her to write the preface if she was moved to do so. And you must have read the result. Very high praise to be compared to Baldwin. Is it a hit or miss to suggest his book to people wanting to understand BLM?
BillRM

Sun 6 Sep, 2015 05:46 am
@Lash,
The problem is that for the most part the black community problems have nothing to do with racial relations.

The majority of the problems are self inflicted beginning with the out of wed-locked birth rates and as a result the lack of males role models and going on to the gangs that results from young men seeking male leadership they are not getting at home.

Not help by the so call black leadership that only seems to have their own self interest at heart.

Sorry but cops white or black or green are not looking to killed or harm blacks and a world view such as your otherwise is insane.

The problem is black on black killings not the police in cold blood shooting black men.
Lash

Sun 6 Sep, 2015 06:16 am
@BillRM,
Let's take just one of those issues. Out of wedlock birth.

How, you may ask, did African blacks' American experience contribute to this phenomenon?

Marriage rites and birth of children - family connections - were among the most vitally important things happening in an African community.

Kidnapping and slavery happened as it does in most societies. Of course, this screws up healthy societies to a point. Africans who were enslaved in Africa were at least able to retain a part of their heritage among their own people - and sometimes able to get back to their own communities, so even though this more local slavery was damaging to the culture, it was surmountable.

US and British slavery were quite different. I'll try to stop sounding like I'm schooling you - maybe you have done research or taken classes using primary documents that prove the devastating difference in slavery under US / British rule.

Families and tribal affiliations were specifically separated for the approximately 14 generations that lived under slavery. The purposeful separations weakened communication among slaves so they wouldn't rise up and kill their masters - or foment some other mass revolution or escape. Family and friendship connections were purposefully broken for many lifetimes and a fear of showing love or affection or connection was burned out of the DNA of a people. You show love and you lose it forever. Men and women were bred for business. 14 generations. You begin to know how to act. You know this lore is passed down through generations to help the children survive the environment they live in - just as we are taught about dark alleys and talking to strangers.

Then, they went from being property to being thrown out into the world with nothing and expected to survive. A ridiculously unfair situation. And they had to rely on the white people who preferred them dead or in chains to survive.

I can't imagine the anger or the feelings that my family had worked themselves to death and we had nothing to show for it.

And then the welfare system further awarded the dissolution of the family unit, but helping single mothers with children and cutting them off when they got married.

I believe the behaviors in the black community that you decry are all connected to what has happened to them here - and is STILL happening. I don't think it will change until we stand up and embrace them as equal shareholders in this country, and show we mean it by taking bold steps to stop institutional racism.

Until the wound heals, the bleeding won't stop. My honest opinion. Jabbing at them for hopelessness and desperation knowing how they got there is quite cold-hearted to me.
snood

Sun 6 Sep, 2015 06:19 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I read his account of how that happened- he asked Toni Morrison to read it, and said he'd love for her to write the preface if she was moved to do so. And you must have read the result. Very high praise to be compared to Baldwin. Is it a hit or miss to suggest his book to people wanting to understand BLM?

To be honest, I think that particular book may well confuse the issue in some (white) folks minds - Ta-Nehisi is pretty militant, for lack of a better word. He wrote the book as if to his teenaged son, and it is very much a cautionary tale about the struggle he will have, in order to be his fullest self in a deluded America.
Lash

Sun 6 Sep, 2015 06:27 am
@Lash,
The thing is - had this stopped at some point, everything I said would be moot - but it is still happening.

Our beloved friend Bob the Dys was arrested in MS for having a black guy in his car after dark (I never asked Dys what they did to the black guy,)

I saw bathrooms and water fountains that said For Whites Only.

Blacks are being killed by cops at 3X the rate of other demographics - some, for NOTHING.

This all has to stop.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 6 Sep, 2015 06:30 am
@snood,
I can't wait to read it. I might just order it today. No bookstores within 40 miles of where I live.

Re Ta-Nehisi: I thought maybe a dude with a bit of compassion might be touched at what a black man has to say to his son to prepare him for life in the US.

(grins) Guess who I'm seeing next weekend?

Cornell and Bernie. Benedict College, Columbia, SC.
snood

Sun 6 Sep, 2015 07:59 am
@Lash,
Re Ta-Nehisi's 'letter' to his son:
He's admitted since writing it that it was a literary device, much as Baldwin's The Fire Next Time was written as if to Baldwin's nephew.

No guess about who you're seeing - I think you said something about seeing Bernie and Cornell West.

And about no book stores - I buy almost everything on Amazon and have it sent straight to Kindle.
BillRM

Sun 6 Sep, 2015 08:10 am
@Lash,
LOL roughly a hundreds years after the end of slavery [1950s-60s] the out of wed-lock birth rate in the black community was only 20 percents not the now 72 percent rate!!!!!!

Footnote the 20 percents out of wedlock birth rate of the 1950s black community is ten percent less then the now current white out of birth rate, so once more slavery that ended 90 years before the 1950s pointed out that the current black out of wedlock birth rate have zero to do with slavery!!!!

So, no you can not blame slavery and whites for the current out of wedlock birthrate and in any case it beside the point as no one is forcing young black men to father children out of wedlock and no one is forcing black women to allowed them to do so!!!!!!!

Quote:
Jabbing at them for hopelessness and desperation knowing how they got there is quite cold-hearted to me.

What is cold hearted to me is making excuses up for the problems that only blacks can address and encouraging blacks young men to hate the police and even attack the police instead of being law abiding citizens.

How many young men are going to be killed due to the nonsense you and similar people are all too willing to try to sell?
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 6 Sep, 2015 08:36 am
@snood,
I understood using the letter as a literary device. Don't have Kindle. I prefer books still, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll see if I can get a decent pic of Cornell.
0 Replies