hawkeye10

Sun 15 Nov, 2015 09:39 pm
Quote:
The protesters at Yale and Missouri and a longer list of schools stand accused of being spoiled, silly, and self-dramatizing-and many of them are.But they're also dealing with a university system that's genuinely corrupt, and that has long relied on rote appeals to the activists own left wing pieties to cloak its utter lack of higher purpose.
The protesters may be obnoxious enemies of free debate, in other words, but they aren't wrong to smell the rot around them. And they're vindicated every time they push and an administrator caves; it's proof that they have a monopoly and moral spine, and that any small-l liberal alternative is simply hollow.

Or as the great Walter Sobchak might have put it: "say what you will about the tenets of political correctness, Dude, at least it is an ethos"

Ross Douthat NYT Nov 15

Right on. After a long term of willful evasion of awareness we are finally beginning to smell the stench of the rot of the University.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 17 Nov, 2015 08:23 am
http://assets.amuniversal.com/bc5a00206ec901331d01005056a9545d.jpg
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Tue 17 Nov, 2015 08:40 am
Quote:
If the University of Missouri succeeds in meeting a student demand for a faculty that's 10 percent black in two years, it will likely be alone among its peers.

No state's "flagship" public university campus had a black faculty population approaching that level, and only a handful topped even the 5 percent mark, an Associated Press analysis of 2013 federal data found.

The norm on most of the main campuses was a faculty that was between 2 percent and 4 percent black, the data showed.

Universities are well aware that staff and student bodies often don't match, administrators and experts say, and demonstrations and discussions around the country in recent days have driven home the point.

Fresh from a two-hour "listening session" Friday, University of Massachusetts Senior Vice Provost John McCarthy said students made clear the need for change.

"It was the biggest auditorium we have and undergraduates of color were standing up and talking about the fact that they need to see more faculty of color in the classroom, they need to see more faculty that look like them, they need to see faculty who are more familiar with their experiences as students of color," McCarthy said.

It's the difference between feeling understood and the pressure of being seen as representing a race, students and others said.

"There's a difference in the learning experience that you have when you're learning from someone you believe you can identify with more closely," said Micah Oliver, 21, president of the Black Student Association at the University at Buffalo.

Oliver, a senior, added, "The injustices that are happening in society aside, police brutality aside, those matters aside, I feel like I can learn from you better because you seem like somebody I can connect with on a personal level or on an experiential level."

Recent racist incidents, and the perceived lack of response by administrators, led to protests, a student hunger strike and a threatened boycott by the football team at the University of Missouri, where student demands now include a call for increasing the percentage of black faculty and staff to 10 percent by the 2017-18 school year.

A group of former minority faculty members sent a letter Monday to President Michael Middleton supporting the students. It citied their "experience related to being racial and ethnic minorities on a predominantly white campus."

Like Missouri, the percentage of black faculty members at the vast majority of main campuses in each state's public university system was generally well below the percentage of black students enrolled, the AP review found.

At a number of schools, the percentage of black faculty was close to or below half the percentage of black students, notably at schools in the South with both relatively large proportions of black students and faculty.

View galleryIn this Friday, Nov. 13, 2015, photo, Amilcar Shabazz, …
In this Friday, Nov. 13, 2015, photo, Amilcar Shabazz, faculty advisor for diversity and excellence, …
The school with the largest percentage of black faculty, the University of Mississippi at 6.29 percent, also had the largest percentage of black students, 15.26 percent. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has a faculty that's 6 percent black, compared to 8 percent of the student body. The University of Alabama's faculty is also 6 percent black, but the proportion of black students is higher at 11.46 percent.

The University of Georgia had the next highest percentage of black faculty at 5.76 percent with a 7.83 percent black enrollment while the University of South Carolina-Columbia's faculty was 5.18 black compared to 10.56 percent of the students.

At no other school was the percentage of black faculty above 5 percent.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/missouri-likely-alone-10-percent-black-faculty-064011086.html

Completely unrealistic demands from the malcontents in Missouri. And besides, is the point from these whining black little boys and little girls that not having the number of black teachers they want impedes their learning, because that would be BS. And we know that there is not some vast pool of qualified wanna be black professors out there, Universities have been actively trying to hire more blacks at least back to the 70's. They are unavailable, so this is not about the social justice of giving qualified blacks a chance at a paying job. More black on staff will give the black kids more pull politically on campus is the motivation i'll bet, but you can never be too sure how that will go at crunch time, sometimes they remember that they are adults and are supposed to be professional educators.

EDIT: the fact that apparently the administrators have not rejected this demand already is more evidence that they are not doing their jobs.
BillRM

Tue 17 Nov, 2015 02:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
I guess Hawkeye that they could take some of the cash from the football program and hired head headers to go after black professors with wad of cashes from other universities.

Of course that will only made the situation worst at the universities that had gotten raided as you are right there are not enough black professors to reach that magical value of ten percents nationwide.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 17 Nov, 2015 04:13 pm

Jamar Clark started his final moments on this planet by violently assaulting a woman.

When paramedics arrived to administer aid to the woman he had just assaulted, he prevented them from doing so.

When police tried to arrest him, he resisted arrest and was rewarded with a well-deserved case of dead.

The BLM scumbags have a new hero.

"More than 50 people were arrested during a Black Lives Matter protest that shut down I-94W in Minneapolis for over two hours."

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/11/16/black-lives-matter-protesters-shut-down-i-94-in-minneapolis/
hawkeye10

Tue 17 Nov, 2015 04:20 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
"More than 50 people were arrested during a Black Lives Matter protest that shut down I-94W in Minneapolis for over two hours."

Sounds like the cops and politicians have finally run out of patience, this is the first time I have noticed were they are making arrests. Before this the thugs had their way with the city.
oralloy

Tue 17 Nov, 2015 04:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
It's about time. I've been out of patience with these scumbags for quite awhile now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 19 Nov, 2015 11:55 am
Arrrgggh - this is part of my old territory for many years, Santa Monica:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/11/18/my-white-neighbor-thought-i-was-breaking-into-my-own-apartment-nineteen-cops-showed-up/
hawkeye10

Thu 19 Nov, 2015 07:04 pm
Missouri is still a focus of the media and of Trump. THis is from Tue

Quote:
One of the main battlegrounds for the new college activism is the University of Missouri, where the school’s president and chancellor announced they would resign earlier this month. Their exits came after widespread protests of an alleged climate of racism at the school.

For his part, Trump thinks the school’s leaders made the wrong choice and that their departures will only encourage future student uprisings.

“Well, I thought that the people that resigned from University of Missouri were weak and ineffective people. I think they sent the absolutely wrong signal when they resigned so sheepishly. … It just showed such grotesque weakness and that just sent a signal to go out and do whatever you want to do, and now you’re going to see this problem all over,” Trump said.

Trump doesn’t believe there was racism on campus in Missouri. Still, if he led the school, he said he would stand up to both the demands of the protesters and any discriminatory behavior.

“I would have handled things differently. First of all, I would have made sure there was no discrimination or any of that — and I don’t think there was. But I happened to look at the list of demands, those demands were crazy,” Trump said. “Many of those demands were absolutely — not all — but many of those were absolutely over the top. And to watch these two men grovel and resign like two babies — whoever paid them in the first place?

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/donald-trump-has-big-plans-1303117537878070.html
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 19 Nov, 2015 10:18 pm
@ossobuco,
That one gets me, too.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 19 Nov, 2015 10:19 pm
Portraits of black faculty members defaced at Harvard Law
Source: AP

By COLLIN BINKLEY

BOSTON (AP) — Portraits of several black professors were found vandalized at Harvard Law School on Thursday, a day after a campus rally for black students.

Black strips of tape were placed diagonally over at least five photo portraits, Harvard officials said. Students and professors noticed the tape as classes met on Thursday morning at Wasserstein Hall, which houses two hallways lined with framed portraits of more than 180 professors.

All of the portraits that were targeted depict black professors, but some portraits of black professors appeared to be untouched. Harvard officials said they don't know why some professors were singled out or who's responsible.

"Expressions of hatred are abhorrent, whether they be directed at race, sex, sexual preference, gender identity, religion or any other targets of bigotry," the law school's dean, Martha Minow, said in a statement.

FULL story at link.

Read more: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/78e1efa61e7a47a9b04e7871abdfde3f/portraits-black-faculty-members-defaced-harvard-law
hawkeye10

Thu 19 Nov, 2015 10:23 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
You do realize I hope that a lot of people will do whatever most stirs the ****, that often there is no more motive than that in the hooliganism?

"There is some tape on some of the portraits in the hall! ALERT THE NATIONAL MEDIA! Call the FBI! Call the Justice Department! THere is some SERIOUS HATE going on here and WE CANT HAVE IT!"

Sounds like a SNL sketch.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 19 Nov, 2015 10:30 pm
Judge Orders Chicago Police Release Video Of Cop Shooting Black Teen 16 Times
Source: Talking Points Memo

CHICAGO (AP) — A judge said Thursday that the Chicago Police Department has less than a week to release a video of an officer fatally shooting a black teenager and refused to give the department more time pending a possible appeal of his decision.

The video is graphic, according to some who have seen it: The 17-year-old wielding a small knife is walking away from police when one officer opens fire, shooting the teen 16 times.

Cook County Judge Franklin Valderrama ordered the department to publicly release the video by next Wednesday. The attorney for the department immediately asked for more time before the release so the city could decide whether to appeal the judge's decision. But Valderrama returned a short time later and said the release order would stand.

He said the Police Department had no legal right to withhold the video because other agencies are the ones investigating the shooting.

Police had refused to release footage of the October 2014 shooting of Laquan McDonald. Investigators have said McDonald refused to drop a knife when officers confronted him while responding to a call about a person walking down a street with a knife on the city's southwest side. The shooting was recorded on police dash camera video, but city attorneys said it wouldn't be released until a federal grand jury finishes its investigation of the shooting.

Read more: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/laquan-mcdonald-shooting-police-video
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 20 Nov, 2015 06:23 am
Black Lives Matter rally draws hundreds at UNL
Source: Omaha World Herald

By Erika Stewart-Finkenstaedt

LINCOLN — About 400 voices joined together Thursday in front of the Nebraska Union to declare that “black lives matter.”

The crowd listened, cheered and chanted with speakers who discussed racism in and out of the classroom and said it’s time for change.

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln rally comes in light of recent events in Missouri, where the university president resigned amid student complaints about how people of color were treated. Anti-racism events also have been held on other campuses, including a gathering Monday at Creighton University.

Maya Evans, president of UNL’s Afrikan People’s Union, told the crowd Thursday that she doesn’t feel safe on the University of Nebraska campus, largely because of racist posts on Yik Yak, a social media app that allows users to post anonymously, and students who use the N-word.

FULL story at link below photo. Video: http://studio.omaha.com/?ndn.trackingGroup=91341&ndn.siteSection=omahalanding&ndn.videoId=29969088&freewheel=91341&sitesection=omahalanding&vid=29969088

SARAH HOFFMAN/THE WORLD-HERALD
Speakers address the crowd during a Black Lives Matter rally on Thursday at UNL.

Read more: http://www.omaha.com/news/education/black-lives-matter-rally-draws-hundreds-at-unl/article_6eeb8a23-54cb-53e3-b032-785fa21df815.html
BillRM

Fri 20 Nov, 2015 07:54 am
@bobsal u1553115,
My my the lady does not feel safe due to some assholes postings on a a social media site!!

Yes, that is reason to have a rally of 400 on a campus where there is no proof that anyone on that campus have been one of the posters.

Of course at MU some drunk drove by a group of blacks and shouted racial insults or so it was claimed and that was one the reasons given to removed the president of the university.

Never knew how thin skin the current generation of black college students had become.

In the meantime the leading cause of deaths of young black males are still not racist whites or the police but other young black males who cause more deaths in that group then accidents or diseases.

No rallies being held over those deaths, unlike some postings on a website.
0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 20 Nov, 2015 08:11 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Anyone wish to bet if and when those evil vandals are found it will be black vandals?

Given history of how many times such acts as hanging a noose had been traced back to blacks not whites the odds seems at least 50/50.

In the meantime a campaign is ongoing to removed President Wilson name from buildings and such on the Princeton campus as he does not meet the current PC standards on race a hundred years or so after his death.
0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 20 Nov, 2015 08:32 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:

http://dailycaller.com/2015/04/01/noose-found-hanging-at-duke-university/

In 2004, a professor at Claremont McKenna College was convicted of filing a false police report after she spray-painted racist slogans on her own car and then blamed it on students. At UC San Diego in 2010, an anonymous student who claimed to be a minority apologized for leaving a noose hanging on campus. In 2012, a black student at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside confessed to police that she had left multiple nooses around campus and fabricated a “hit list” against herself and several other black students.

Then we had the case of a student at Duke who hung a noose in order to take pictures of himself and some friends to send them to others with an invitation to come and hang out with them.

It was good for a rally before the facts came to light and for that misjudgment the student who came up with the idea of sending such invitations with zero racial motivations still needed to loss a semester before he could return.
izzythepush

Fri 20 Nov, 2015 08:37 am
@BillRM,
Not that much of a loss if he was too dumb to see the glaringly obvious ramifications of such an image.
BillRM

Fri 20 Nov, 2015 08:54 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Not that much of a loss if he was too dumb to see the glaringly obvious ramifications of such an image.

LOL now it not intend to do harm but not being racially sensitive enough that should called for punishment.

We all have some duty to always keep in mind how all others groups might feel about an action or a word even when those words or actions where taken with no bad or evil intend

Kind of remind me of my growing up in a small town with zero blacks so when I saw my very first black person during a trip to Philadelphia I pointed at him and in a loud voice said "look mom a chocolate cover man."

My mother told me that he was almost rolling on the floor laughing thank god she added.
izzythepush

Fri 20 Nov, 2015 09:22 am
@BillRM,
It's called being thick as ****, hence not much of a loss.