Finn dAbuzz

Mon 21 Sep, 2015 06:13 pm
@snood,
There are a whole lot of crimes that don't involve drugs.

If you want to deny the numbers, be my guest.
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 21 Sep, 2015 06:17 pm
@engineer,
There may be "plenty of cases" where the police officer was not at fault as with Officer Wilson, but the entire BLM movement suffers when it insists on denying the facts and perpetuating a lie about the Wilson/Brown incident.

You wouldn't ignore the harm of such fallacies if it were a conservative movement, so why are you willing to do so with BLM?
hawkeye10

Mon 21 Sep, 2015 06:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
but the entire BLM movement suffers when it insists on denying the facts and perpetuating a lie about the Wilson/Brown incident.

Worse is that they are not interested in making a argument for what they want on any grounds, their entire act is "give us what we demand Or ELSE.

**** em, that is not how america works.
hingehead

Mon 21 Sep, 2015 08:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It doesn't matter much what the crime is, if you're black expect a 20% longer sentence.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887324432004578304463789858002

Now I'm of the belief your skin colour doesn't determine anything of your capabilities. So that would lead me to deduce the system is biased against 'people of colour'.

Even if suppose 'people of colour' have some other overriding correlative relation that would lead to that disproportionate sentencing. Like a lack of access to a competent legal defense. Which usually correlates with lower incomes, which, surprise surprise, correlates with a system biased against 'people of colour'.

But you can deny the numbers.
BillRM

Mon 21 Sep, 2015 09:07 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
But you can deny the numbers.

Like the CDC numbers that the leading cause of deaths of young black men are homicides instead of accidents as it is in all other groups that are being track by the CDC?
0 Replies

tony5732

Mon 21 Sep, 2015 10:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Look Finn, BLM wants you to look at the facts. One fact is, officer Wilson was white. Another fact is, Mike Brown was black. That's the facts. Now since white police officers are obviously all racist and black people always cooperate with police, it was apparently racism. The autopsy reports, conflicting stories from witnesses, the footage from the robbed convenience store, and lack of any evidence of foul play from Wilson show exactly how racist our American justice system is. People were paying so much attention to small things like evidence and lack of evidence they forgot the facts about skin color. White people are racists and Black Lives Matter.
tony5732

Mon 21 Sep, 2015 11:13 pm
@snood,
Yeah, good point snood. People never get arrested for being high and having drugs if they are already in deep **** for something else. That can't have anything to do with how people get in trouble with drugs.
0 Replies

tony5732

Mon 21 Sep, 2015 11:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
Look, BLM is hungry for pigs fried like bacon because white cops are racist. America loves bacon, and if you are black your life matters. Basically, BLM wants a white cop BLT and people should listen because they have black people. It's a pretty reasonable demand.
hawkeye10

Mon 21 Sep, 2015 11:26 pm
@tony5732,
And 9 of the 12 on the grand jury were white, so of course they had to be racists and that is why they did not approve an indictment of Officer Wilson.
Miller

Tue 22 Sep, 2015 12:08 am
@tony5732,
tony5732 wrote:

Look, BLM is hungry for pigs fried like bacon because white cops are racist.

Why do you suppose, so many blacks appear to be RACIST?

Can't figure it out? Read your own words...

Also, while you're at it ,why not comment on BLACK COPS?
tony5732

Tue 22 Sep, 2015 03:43 am
@Miller,
No miller, your missing the point. Black people can't be racist. It's a fact. Only white police officers and people who don't like BLM are racist. Black Cops would be racist, but they are black.
0 Replies

tony5732

Tue 22 Sep, 2015 03:46 am
@hawkeye10,
Only black people should have been on the jury, because white people just don't get racism.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 22 Sep, 2015 07:55 pm
@hingehead,
The higher sentences is more a function of economics than race. Black kids don't get the sort of defense money can buy and I feel certain they probably accept plea bargains more often than white defendants, although this is pure speculation on my part.

Now you can believe that the economics of the situation is based entirely or greatly on racism, but it's bit more complex than that, unless you want to credit racism as the motivating force behind so many liberal programs that have created a environment of dependency within the black community.

In any case the places in this country where there is the greatest racial tensions are urban centers that have been governed by liberals and liberal blacks for decades. What more can be done for these places and the plight of the black population than for them to be governed by people who claim to be totally dedicated to solving the problems found there? A never ending book of blank checks from the federal government?

Whether one is an individual or a group, life is tough, and for some it's tougher than for others. If you found yourself in a tough place, you could, I suppose, blame everyone but yourself and demand that everyone but you help you out of it, but that wouldn't be a very successful strategy.

Black people are fundamentally every bit as capable of achieving success as white people, and the very large number of black people who are successful prove this fact.

There are, by the way, quite a large number of white people living below the poverty line. Are they the victims of racism?

Look into the background of Ben Carson. Somehow he was able to rise from abject poverty to great prominence. Regardless of what you might think of his politics, you can't deny his achievement. He credits much if not all of his success on the fact that his mother, in raising him, refused to allow him to think of himself as a victim.

Once you take responsibility for your self and for how your future develops you can overcome tremendous obstacles. It's not a magic formula and not everyone succeeds, but guess what? If racism was entirely eradicated overnight there would still be plenty of black people who won't succeed in life.

People can use the obstacles they face as an excuse for their failures; it happens all of the time and with a whole lot of white people.

I've not seen anyone offer a comprehensive plan for dealing with what is perceived as the crippling effect of racism on black people. Liberals run Chicago, Atlanta, Baltimore, Newark etc etc and the problems are still there, so I'm seriously disinclined to listen to any liberal suggestions.

I could get behind a plan that made sense and was a lot more than simply pouring money into urban centers than crooked politicians (black and white) can skim, but there's one thing I know and that is that a solution that depends on violence will not only not work, it will make things a lot worse for black people in this country.
hawkeye10

Tue 22 Sep, 2015 08:09 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
This study says that Black are much less likely to get a plea deal offer.
https://www.bja.gov/Publications/PleaBargainingResearchSummary.pdf

The problem might not be race though, it could be class. It takes money to challenge the state, usually to do it well it takes a lot of money. To the extent that they dont have money black are up the creek without a paddle.
0 Replies

snood

Tue 22 Sep, 2015 08:37 pm
@hingehead,
Good luck, man. That ringing sound you hear is a common result of beating one's head against a wall.

the discussion sounds like this to me...

Reason: the justice system is racist. black people are arrested, jailed, beaten and killed unjustly.
very white guy: it's more a function of money than race
Reason: but the numbers don't lie - race matters in America
vwg: it's much more complicated than that. Besides, if they just worked and stopped complaining, they'd be better off
Reason: there is also clear race discrimination in the way medical treatment is administered, the way housing is offered, the way jobs callbacks are offered, and several other things
vwg: The Jamaicans and Asians don't think so, so it might be a figment of black American's imagination

Reason: excuse me, I have to go treat my head wound

tony5732

Tue 22 Sep, 2015 10:42 pm
@snood,
Yeah snood, that's what white people say, and it's not racist at all for you to say it like that because your black. Being black makes you a racism expert.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 23 Sep, 2015 09:51 am
@snood,
Did you experience a lot of racism in the military? Did you see the military as having racist policies? I know you were either an E-6 or an E-7, can't remember which one, so that means you had a good amount of time in the military maybe 2 decades?
izzythepush

Wed 23 Sep, 2015 09:53 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Did you experience a lot of racism in the military?

Why? Were you in his unit?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 23 Sep, 2015 10:06 am
@Baldimo,
http://mic.com/articles/113310/why-the-u-s-army-doesn-t-need-racial-thursdays-a-special-day-for-racism

Quote:
The U.S. Army Has a Day Each Week When Racism Is Allowed — What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

By Zak Cheney-Rice March 19, 2015

Soldiers in a U.S. Army platoon have been lobbing racial slurs at each other in an event known as "Racial Thursdays," the Army Times reports. The allegations were made by a staff sergeant in Fort Wainwright, Alaska, and have been under investigation since late last week.

"When I first got to my unit, someone said we should do 'Racial Thursdays' because it's been a tradition," the soldier, who requested anonymity, told the Army Times. "It's something they made up where you can say any racist remark you want without any consequences."

Sounds fun. To clarify, this is a unit housed in a majority-white military branch given carte blanche to assail its comrades of color with racist insults. Because "morale." And because "Racial Tuesdays" might interfere with the presumably less horrible "Taco Tuesdays." (U.S. Army Alaska hasn't responded to Mic's request for comment regarding "Racial Thursdays." No inquiry was made into "Taco Tuesdays.")

What could possibly go wrong? Plenty, it turns out. The platoon's sergeant reportedly asked the soldiers not to participate, but according to the Army Times, it's happening anyway. "It's degrading," the anonymous soldier continued. "We've had soldiers almost fight over the crap that's going on here."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 23 Sep, 2015 10:13 am
http://atlantablackstar.com/2015/08/12/racism-in-the-u-s-military-8-disturbing-practices-you-should-know-about-before-letting-your-teen-sign-up/

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/21/us-usa-wisconsin-shooting-army-idUSBRE87K04Y20120821
0 Replies