RABEL222

Sun 24 Jul, 2016 06:35 pm
@TheCobbler,
A police officer has the authority of a Judge and an executioner in our present society.
0 Replies

vikorr

Sun 24 Jul, 2016 06:43 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I see you've found a kindred spirit in Vikorr, that's far from surprising. You both go out of your way to condemn all Muslims and black people while simultaneously bending over backwards to justify racist killers.
It’s rather typical of your style of hate, to ignore sections of my posts where I say ‘that police officer should be charged’, nor where I say that activist groups are needed when people see a problem.

In regards to the Kindred spirit silliness:

- I have to correct John's more extreme views. He starts from the view point of all police are good, and works backwards.

- I have to correct bobs viewpoint, because he starts from the point of view of all police are racists, and works backwards.

Any unbiased rereading of my posts will confirm the above.

My perspective is that: Police represent the cross-section of society. As such:
- police officers are aren't a robotic collective. Each of them is an individual human being.
- there will be good, and bad police.
- Most of society is ‘good’, so most of police will be ‘good’
- Policing doesn’t generally attract the worst sections of society, so that lowers the bad portion, as does vetting (to some degree), but some are attracted to the 'power' of the position, so that may increase it.
- That leaves some bad police
- That cross-section is affected by such things as: the percentage of the population that are racist. If it’s higher, then then percentage of racist officers will be higher. If it’s lower, then the percentage of racist officers will be lower.

These views don’t appear to be reflected in either Bobs, or Johns posts.

Without those views, then the desire to understand why the other side feels the way it feels, doesn’t exist. The desire to ‘put themselves in the other persons shoes’ doesn’t exist. As any reasonable person can see – that is what I have been trying to achieve here (which also requires the breaking down of the all police are good / all police are bad viewpoints)
giujohn

Sun 24 Jul, 2016 08:16 pm
@vikorr,
Hey Vik
Let me disagree with you on one point. It's not so much that I start from the point where I think all cops are good and then work backwards as much as it is I believe people are innocent until proven guilty. As a police officer I was not the Trier of fact I was The Gather of facts. I applied the law without passion or prejudice. There were some laws I agreed with and some laws I didn't. I have denounced here when police officers broke the law and called for their prosecution. I have also agreed to the probability that racism could exist in some police departments but in none that I was ever associated with. What I disagree with is the level at which it exists. In my opinion it exists to a very small degree probably less so than any other population of
people. And certainly not to the level that people on this site like Bob trumpets it to be. And while I don't particularly agree with the general premise of your last comment I do respect the fact that you've offered it in a cordial tone.
People like Bob who post with a singular fanatic voice belies a probable past occurrence where he feels that he was unjustly treated by the police. It's just his misguided effort at a reckoning. The others appear by their comments to be anarchists who would love to live in a society without any police or any rules whatsoever... I call it the hippie mentality where they believe without any laws or rules or police everybody will have nothing but altruistic motivations and everybody will live in peace and harmony... But I guess in order to achieve that everybody's going to have to be as high as a kite. I appreciate your attempt to be reasonable but unfortunately it's going to be lost on most here... And So It Goes.
vikorr

Sun 24 Jul, 2016 08:46 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
People like Bob who post with a singular fanatic voice belies a probable past occurrence where he feels that he was unjustly treated by the police
That's possible, but it's not the only possibility. An example of another possibility is: such a viewpoint could easily arise from a persons close association with a group - viewing himself/herself as part of a collective. If they see the collective as being victimised, it's certainly possible for an individual to become passionate about it.

Don't get me wrong - where people see a problem, I think these things should be brought to light, and should be discussed. And I also think that each event should be judged on it's own merits, before it is added to any collection of evidence. It is this last point that is proving problematic in this thread, and others on the topic.

In my post on violence in the name of Islam, I made sure to link only those news events where the terrorist is clearly doing so in the name of his religion - with the terrorist shouting allahu akbar, declaring his allegiance to IS, or something very similar. Ie it was after there was clear evidence of my the violence being done in the name of Islam, that I posted that event as evidence....I don't always see that principle being applied to posts supporting viewpoint of this thread, though sometimes it can be very obvious, such as in the video link I posted...

...but again, there is nothing wrong with the posting and discussion - it's just that each event should first be:

- judged on its own merit
- acknowledging all the facts (rather than ignoring some because it doesnt suit the persons viewpoint),
- with understanding, and
- without preconceived outcomes.

After that, it can be used to support viewpoints.

Sometimes, as I previously mentioned - a video can speak for itself. Sometimes - not, and sometimes - more information / context / understanding is needed.
vikorr

Sun 24 Jul, 2016 09:12 pm
@vikorr,
As as example of how to apply this:
- find out about police's rules of engagement (or whatever it is called before they are allowed to shoot)
- then apply this to a shooting event

If they didn't follow their rules of engagement , then it's fairly good evidence.

If they followed their rules of engagement, then it becomes much weaker evidence.

It would idiotic I think, to completely ignore this point.

Still, that is a very simplified version, but it is a good starting point. Other considerations I think could involve tactical training, communications / training, as well as human imperfections.

But one of the most important things is this - whoever uses a firearm does bear responsibility for their actions. This should apply whether it be a person defending their home, their lives, or police fulfilling his duty. And the circumstances in which they are using them, should always be considered in any judgement.
0 Replies

giujohn

Sun 24 Jul, 2016 09:15 pm
@vikorr,
I am unfamiliar with the post that you're referencing as I have just recently come back to this site after being gone from it for a year ( other more important concerns) if you could send me that link I'd appreciate it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 25 Jul, 2016 04:00 am
@vikorr,
I know what you are, and I'm quite happy to tell everyone else what you are. You may believe your own lies but don't expect other people to be as stupid.

Your posts are one sided, like Russian TV, you just post negative stories about one group and ignore positive stories. It's a very old trick, it's what propagandists and bigots have done for centuries.

You are a bigot, all you know is hate. Now you can continue believing in fantasy but the only people who'll believe you are your fellow bigots like Giu.

Now you're going on ignore. I feel dirty just talking to you.
bobsal u1553115

Mon 25 Jul, 2016 06:40 am
0 Replies

vikorr

Mon 25 Jul, 2016 06:48 am
@izzythepush,
Oh dear...bigots think they their views are the only right views, and won't listen to any other side. I've shown over and over that I consider both sides, and am happy for people to arrive at their own conclusions - so long as they've looked into something for themselves as objectively as they can.

In contrast, you:
- won't even acknowledge evidence presented that disagrees with your views
- scream hate at people that that disagree with you
- misrepresent (and often outright lie about) peoples views that you disagree with
- attempt to demonise people you disagree with
- attempt to shut down debate with people you disagree with ...as you are trying to do here

Most if this is referencing a different thread (if someone wants links, just ask), but some of it is showing up in this thread. That sort of behaviour is incredibly bigoted behaviour by you (anyone who disagrees probably hasn't looked at the definition of bigot)

All this because here I am saying :
- judge each event on it's merits
- recognise that police are inidividual humans
- speak out if you see a problem
- present events, and discuss it, with an open mind, rather than with preconceived notions.

Your issue is your very personal hate of me. That's your issue, not mine.

If you choose to put me on ignore, could you please also do that for your fake handles, remove them as followers from my profile, and stop stalking my posts... just so you can vote them down. That would be much appreciated.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 25 Jul, 2016 06:59 am

Former Sandra Bland Jailer Admits Falsifying Logs — He Never Checked on Her Just Before Her Death

Similar violations in the past have resulted in criminal indictments.
By Brad Reed / Raw Story
July 22, 2016

Major new revelations in the Sandra Bland case broke on Friday, as the lawyer for Sandra Bland’s mother says that a former jailer has admitted to falsifying prison logs.

According to lawyer Cannon Lambert, a former Waller County Jail guard admitted under oath that he never checked in on Bland roughly an hour before her death, despite the fact that he’d recorded having done so in prison logs.

“The jailer told him in the deposition he noted in the jail log he observed Bland in her cell at 8:01 a.m., less than an hour before she was found strangled by a noose made from a plastic trash bag,” reports The Houston Chronicle. “In fact, jailers never checked on Bland or about a dozen other inmates that hour, Lambert said.”

One of The Houston Chronicle’s sources also claims that even though special prosecutors were informed of the falsified logs, a grand jury nonetheless didn’t indict anyone from the sheriff’s office over Bland’s death. Similar violations in the past have resulted in criminal indictments, the Chronicle notes.

Brad Reed is a writer living in Boston. His work has previously appeared in the American Prospect Online, and he blogs frequently at Sadly, No!.
0 Replies

vikorr

Mon 25 Jul, 2016 07:07 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Your posts are one sided, like Russian TV, you just post negative stories about one group and ignore positive stories. It's a very old trick, it's what propagandists and bigots have done for centuries.

This thread is one sided
it just posts negative stories about one group
and ignores positive stories
It's a very old trick, it's what propagandists and bigots have done for centuries

Also, do you realise that you just called Bob, and posters like him, bigots?

In contrast, I think that the only way to paint a picture of a problem, is to talk about the problem. If that problem is negative, then the examples you give, or bob gives, or I give, will be negative examples.

izzythepush

Mon 25 Jul, 2016 07:12 am
@vikorr,
Keep lying to yourself. I know what you are even if you don't.
giujohn

Mon 25 Jul, 2016 07:50 am
@vikorr,
Thank you for eloquently exposing the real bigots on this site.
0 Replies

giujohn

Mon 25 Jul, 2016 09:34 am

GOOD NEWS
Cops Pay Bill Of Diners Who Shunned Them
“We just want to better the relationship between the community and the police.”
Jul 13, 2016 | Updated Jul 13, 2016
Ron Dicker General Assignment Reporter, The Huffington Post

A group of big-hearted cops made the perfect tactical response when a couple refused to sit near them at a diner in Homestead, Pennsylvania. They paid the couple’s bill and threw in a hefty tip, too, WTAE reports.

“Essentially the whole goal of it was to let him know that we’re not here to hurt you,” officer Chuck Thomas said. “We’re here for you. We work for the public. And we just want to better the relationship between the community and the police.”

Tensions have run high nationally after high-profile police shootings of black men this month and a sniper attack on officers in Dallas, Texas.

One of the diners had eyed the cops gathered in a booth and told the server at Eat N’ Park he didn’t want to sit near them on Friday, the station notes.

Advertisement

Thomas tried to reassure the man that he wouldn’t be hurt but to no avail.

That’s when he decided to cover the $28.58 tab and write a note.

“Sir, your check was paid for by the police officers you didn’t want to sit next to. Thank you for your support,” he said in the note, which he shared on Facebook. It’s since gone viral.

It all ended amicably. One of the couple thanked the men in blue and gave them a smile, according to reports.
0 Replies

giujohn

Mon 25 Jul, 2016 09:37 am

GOOD NEWS
Cop Fixes Boy’s Bike, Takes ‘Serve And Protect’ To Whole New Level
“I just saw the kids, they needed some help, I helped the kids.”
Jul 31, 2015 | Updated Aug 05, 2015
Ryan Grenoble Reporter, The Huffington Post

Turns out the boys in blue can fix bikes, too.

At least one of them anyway. A bystander in Shelton, Connecticut, snapped a photo of an officer from the Ansonia Police Department fixing a boy’s bike. It proceeded to go viral:

After Faith Taylor’s picture took off online, the officer, identified as Michael Castillo, told Connecticut news station WTNH the backstory, which started as a call to break up a fight at Target.

Advertisement

“I said, ‘Hey, are you guys fighting?’ They said, ‘No we’re friends,’” Castillo said. “Then I saw one of the bikes was broken, and the kid said, ‘My bike is broken,’ so I just got down and fixed it.”

The 27-year-old officer doesn’t have a Facebook account and wasn’t aware someone had taken a picture of the encounter until it went viral.

“I just saw the kids, they needed some help, I helped the kids,” he told ABC News.

He added he didn’t expect it would generate so much attention, but he’s glad it did.

“It feels great, it really does,” Castillo told WTNH. “There’s so much negativity in police work everywhere. Just to get this one thing — it’s so small, I was just helping a kid out — but it’s big to everyone else, and I think this shows a positive outlook on police work.
0 Replies

giujohn

Mon 25 Jul, 2016 09:39 am

GOOD NEWS
Instead Of Charging Him For Shoplifting, Officer Helps Single Dad Feed His Baby
Feb 03, 2015
Ryan Grenoble Editor at The Huffington Post

Superman has a cape, Spider-Man his webs, and Justin Roby has ... baby formula.

Roby, an officer with the London Police Department in Kentucky, responded to a routine call for shoplifting on Saturday, Jan. 17, but couldn’t bear to put the suspect in handcuffs. He ended up helping him instead.

According to the Sentinel-Echo, the man was accused of taking only one thing: baby formula, which he needed to feed his 6-month-old son.

In light of the circumstances, the store opted not to press charges. Roby also declined to push the matter further.

“Me citing him for court wouldn’t have done any good for him,” Roby told WKYT, explaining what he did next. “He’s already short on money, can’t afford formula, so me making him appear in court, he’s still not going to have any food for that baby.

Instead of handcuffs, Roby bought the “speechless” single father several cans of formula, an act of kindness he told LEX18 isn’t really a big deal.

“You see your son or your daughter in that little carrier,” Roby told the station. “And you think what would you want somebody to do for your son or your daughter?“

“Behind the uniform, I’m a human being and I’m a person out in this community just like any of them. I have a little boy. I’m a father just like that gentleman was,” Roby added to WKYT. “We’re not these robots ... There’s a human behind the badge.
0 Replies

giujohn

Mon 25 Jul, 2016 09:42 am
Steve Wick doesn’t just patrol people on the streets of Houston — he befriends them, too.

The sergeant helps run the city’s Homeless Outreach Team, HOT, within the police department’s mental health division. Along with four officers and three mental health case workers, Wick has helped move more than 400 people off the streets and into temporary or permanent housing since 2011, according to Nationswell.

HOT is partnered with dozens of local organizations that provide a host of services — from housing and healthcare to ID cards and job opportunities — to the homeless.

“All these folks in the street are not bad,” Wick said in a video by Nationswell, noting he met someone with an engineering degree and people who’ve attended The Juilliard School who were homeless. “These are people that need somebody to talk to, somebody that cares about them, become their advocate and help them get off the street.”
0 Replies

giujohn

Mon 25 Jul, 2016 09:44 am
This little girl got a pretty magical surprise for the holidays — and it didn’t even come from Santa.

Officers Barry Ward, 49, and Terrence Paramore, 27 from the Boynton Beach Police Department responded to a hangup last Saturday, and discovered that a baby had been playing with the phone in the house. But while the police were there, they also noticed that the family was struggling financially.

“They spoke with the child’s mother about the holidays coming up and she mentioned that times were tough for her as a single mother,” Stephanie Slater, police department spokesperson, wrote in an email to The Huffington Post. “The little girl made mention that she was sad they didn’t have a Christmas tree.”

That’s when the officers realized they had some shopping to do and took a trip to Home Depot the next day.
TheCobbler

Mon 25 Jul, 2016 02:54 pm
@giujohn,
I like stories like this GuiJohn.

A lot on the left find acts of kindness by cops, people hugging cops, cops who try and do social outreach to communities to be over the top. They say instead of this affection please just stop brutalizing people that is all they ask.

I disagree, stories of police bravery, police protecting people with their own lives. Americans are hungry for this type of thing and it is not something to be belittled by a few liberals who you could not please no matter what. These liberals are to the democratic party like the tea party are to the GOP.

These same kind of haters are massing outside the DNC for Bernie or bust.
If America gives them their way they will still hate America and do anything to see the country's demise. Anarchy, this repulses me.

It gets down to the matter that some people hate cops even innocent ones who do good. These people are part of the problem just as police brutality is. They want police to behave correctly and when police do show kindness they insult them for being weak and all too emotional.

I say keep posting the good stories too and let's see if we can get more positive statistics for cop on black brutality.

These do-gooder cops are an example for the way the brutal racist cops should be acting, a good example for a rookie cop in training to look up to and aspire to emulate.

Your posts are welcome here.
0 Replies

vikorr

Mon 25 Jul, 2016 03:58 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Keep lying to yourself. I know what you are even if you don't.
Obviously why I can use the underlying principles in your statements, and show you fail to apply them to your own argument. Funnily enough, you've never been able to do this with a statement of mine.

Obviously why you feel the need to scream hate and vitriol at me while you I don't do that to you

Obviously why you continually lie about, or misrepresent my views, while I don't do that to you.

Obviously why you never acknowledge, and refuse to even discuss relevant evidence I provide (for my views), while I'm happy to acknowledge the relevant evidence of people (including yourself) who disagree with me.

Obviously why your communications tactics run all over the place when you are called out, while mine stay the same.

Obviously why I can point out how your behaviour is bigoted, while you can't do the same for my behaviour....all you can come up with is, I disagree with your view so your view must be bigoted.

Have you had a look at your own behaviour, and the reasons behind it?
----------------------------------

Please excuse this mini takeover of the point of this thread. Unfortunately I've had this issue with izzy's behaviour way too many times before.