bobsal u1553115

Mon 23 May, 2016 05:22 am
@reasoning logic,
But I don't have to like anything that comes from the aptly named David Icke.
izzythepush

Mon 23 May, 2016 08:19 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Or watch it.
bobsal u1553115

Tue 24 May, 2016 06:50 am
@izzythepush,
Or watch it after the first one I was tricked into watching.
revelette2

Tue 24 May, 2016 06:53 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I don't really need to ask, but you heard the verdict in the Freddie Grey case? I am not as familiar with the whole case as you probably are, but, has anyone been found guilty for killing him?
bobsal u1553115

Tue 24 May, 2016 06:58 am
@revelette2,
It just is appalling. How nobody is responsible for severing his spinal cord buggars the imagination.

Some say this was the weakest case and that at least three of the remaing five will be assigned some culpability. That I heard on Rachael Madow's show last night.

I am very angry about it and I am measuring my response.
bobsal u1553115

Tue 24 May, 2016 07:06 am
http://assets.amuniversal.com/2a6fd53000ea01345f9a005056a9545d.gif
0 Replies

revelette2

Tue 24 May, 2016 07:10 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
I am very angry about it and I am measuring my response.

Me too, which is why I didn't post it yesterday. I need to educate myself on the whole case before saying too much but if no one has to pay for this, I don't know how a big response will be prevented and perhaps rightfully so. I'll start watching Madow's show more often.
bobsal u1553115

Tue 24 May, 2016 07:21 am
@revelette2,
I think she's one of the best sources for information these days.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 24 May, 2016 10:20 am
Drinking milk at school: while black
*sigh*

http://boingboing.net/2016/05/23/drinking-milk-while-black-stu.html

Virginia authorities handcuffed a middle school student and charged him with larceny for "stealing" a milk carton from the school cafeteria earlier this year. The child has also been suspended from school.

In Prince William County, Virgina, the boy's mother Shamise Turk say police handcuffed and charged her son Ryanwith stealing a carton of milk from the school cafeteria. The school normally charges students 65 cents per carton for milk. But Ryan Turk is allowed to drink it for free, because he's registered on the school's lunch program.

Ms. Turk says one day Ryan went back to the lunch line to get his milk, and a Prince William County police officer approached him and accused him of stealing it.

Police say officers then handcuffed Ryan because the student "broke the rules and became disorderly," according to local news reports.

Virginia is a racist state. I know. I grew up there. For many of the area's Trump voters, it is still the proud capital of the White Southern Confederacy.

Ryan Turk told a local television news reporter that yes, he did pull back when the officer grabbed him.

"I yanked away from him I told him to get off of me because he's not my dad,” Ryan said.

Shamise Turk says her son was then taken to the principal's office, where officials searched the student for drugs. The school principal says "he was acting inappropriately."

"Because he was fidgety, kept pulling on the strings of his pants, and laughing when we were trying to talk to him and just wouldn't talk,” Shamise Turk said.

The school suspended her son for "theft, being disrespectful and using his cell phone."

The Prince William County Schools spokesman says, "the need for disciplinary action is determined by how a student behaves throughout any given incident...an appeals process is in place to ensure the fairness of any disciplinary action."

His mother says they're insane.

Police told her the larceny charge is because he tried to "conceal" the milk, which Ryan denies.

He cannot go to school, and if the charges are upheld, he has a juvenile record and will have trouble getting into college or finding employment, among a host of other damaging things this does to young black men in America. "I'm angry, I'm frustrated, I'm mad. It just went too far. They are charging him with larceny, which I don't have no understanding as to why he is being charged with larceny when he was entitled to that milk from the beginning," said Ms. Turk.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 24 May, 2016 11:01 am
Another day, another officer acquitted in the death of an unarmed black man

I think this has some very good points that explains the frustration of many of us when it comes to viewing and experiencing these cases. It's not just about another Black person being murdered, it's the knowledge-through-experience that there will be no ramifications for vast majority of the identified perpetrators of these crimes.

<snip>

...count me among those not surprised that Baltimore Circuit Judge Barry G. Williams acquitted Officer Edward M. Nero. Last year, when Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby announced charges against six officers for offenses ranging from second degree murder to official misconduct, famed Harvard Constitutional Law Professor Alan Dershowitz, a member of the OJ Simpson “Dream Team” back in the 90s, called the charging decision “a very sad day for justice.”

Dershowitz added that “(prosecutors) overplayed their hand, it’s unlikely they’ll get any convictions in this case…and will just postpone the riots for months ahead.”

Was Prof. Dershowitz clairvoyant in his predictions, what with a hung jury in Officer William Porter’s case last December and now Nero’s acquittal? Perhaps, but the heart of the matter is that police officers receive a greater benefit of the doubt in their actions from juries and judges than regular citizens ever will.

On days in which yet another police officer or vigilante is acquitted for killing another black man, woman or child, I am reminded of the sage words of the late James Baldwin:

"To be a Negro in this country and to be relatively conscious is to be in a rage almost all the time."

{snip}

As many judges on the trial court level, like Judge Williams, are subject to popular election, few are willing to render verdicts that could be construed as being soft on crime in a contested judicial race. Because of that, when I see social media friends calling Judge Williams, who is black, a “sellout” and worse on social media, the activist in me feels the frustration that comes with the realization that even having a “Brother” on the bench does not guarantee that justice will be served for the family of Freddie Gray.

But even more frustrating for the lawyer in me is Judge Williams’s seemingly illogical ruling, one in which by declaring that Nero was not guilty, he opines that “The state’s theory has been one of recklessness and negligence…there has been no evidence that the defendant intended for a crime to occur.”

My major beef with the judge’s decision is that in court’s across America, a defendant’s intent in a case where “reckless” behavior is contemplated includes variations of the Black’s Law Dictionary definition of reckless which is: “careless or indifferent to the welfare of others.”

Similarly, the Black’s Law definition of “negligence” is: the “omission to do something that a reasonable and prudent person would do.” From those very definitions alone, that Nero did not intend for Gray to die is far less relevant than what careless, indifferent, or imprudent acts that he committed or omitted that led to Gray’s death. Surely the judge knows this, too, but I find his unwillingness to stick to the letter of the law in this highly politicized case disturbing and utterly disappointing.

Most Americans, but especially trial lawyers, know full well that police officers are rarely held to account for acts and omissions that the majority of us would be convicted for if we committed them.

Let John or Jane Q. Citizen chase an unarmed man down for no legitimate reason, as officers did Gray; let the victim hurt his back or have an asthma attack in the process; let John or Jane throw the victim in the car or truck and ride him around bouncing for an hour or more — offering no medical assistance; let him die in their custody or control. I am convinced that John and Jane Q Citizen would be convicted during a jury or bench trial and sentenced to prison by a judge. Thus my frustration at what appears to be yet another miscarriage of justice in America. Thus our continuing cries of “No Justice, No peace!”

More at the link: http://thegrio.com/2016/05/23/freddie-gray-officer-acquitted-death/
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Tue 24 May, 2016 05:22 pm
glitterbag

Tue 24 May, 2016 08:41 pm
@reasoning logic,
this is what you sound like to me: http://youtu.be/K9iR6sLwDKY
izzythepush

Wed 25 May, 2016 01:11 am
@glitterbag,
Is that the future? We're all doomed.
glitterbag

Wed 25 May, 2016 02:29 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Is that the future? We're all doomed.

Oh I hope not Izzy, wasn't that one of the dumbest things you have ever seen. She dropped hints, because she thought the stranger she was talking to might want to send her a gift (FROM ENGLAND), but unfortunately they don't speak American..It's the language barrier don'tcha know.
izzythepush

Wed 25 May, 2016 02:36 am
@glitterbag,
How can anyone think a computer game can weigh 15lbs? The only thing she speaks fluently is total bollocks.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 25 May, 2016 05:54 am
@izzythepush,
Its an American thing - free men get to own their own 'facts'. We get the right to flaunt our ignorance. Its what happens when ignorant politicians get too involved with education.
izzythepush

Wed 25 May, 2016 06:00 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Someone on A2K is a prime example of one who is free to get his own facts and doesn't care how true they are.
bobsal u1553115

Wed 25 May, 2016 06:02 am
@izzythepush,
Only one? Surely we can get him gone!
izzythepush

Wed 25 May, 2016 06:10 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Well I have him on ignore, so I've done my bit.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 25 May, 2016 12:00 pm
Supreme Court Throws Out Death Sentence From All-White Jury
Source: New York Times

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court ruled decisively in favor of a death-row inmate in Georgia on Monday, chastising state prosecutors for improperly keeping African-Americans off the jury that convicted him of killing a white woman.

The justices ruled 7-1 in favor of death row inmate Timothy Tyrone Foster in underscoring the importance of rules they laid out in 1986 to prevent racial discrimination in the selection of juries.

Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for the court that Georgia "prosecutors were motivated in substantial part by race" when they struck African-Americans from the jury pool.

But the court did nothing to limit peremptory strikes, lawyers' ability to reject potential jurors without offering any reason. The late Thurgood Marshall once said that racial discrimination would persist in jury selection unless peremptory strikes were curtailed.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/05/23/us/politics/ap-us-supreme-court-all-white-jury.html

Wouldn't you know the dissenter is Thomas