joe met with Warren...

What do you think it means, Lash?
0 Replies

snood

Sun 23 Aug, 2015 05:18 am
@korkamann,
korkamann wrote:

Quote:

Joe Biden has served his entire career nobly and competently, much of the time while recovering from personal tragedy. In my opinion, his record of resilient service to his country despite huge personal loss should recommend him, rather than disqualify him.

One's personal tragedy should never be a reason to serve in higher office.

No one said his tragedy is a reason to serve; I was merely saying that his personal tragedies haven't ever stopped him from serving honorably, and since the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior, it likely wouldn't stop him from doing so as president.

Who knows what impact one's emotional experience will have on his/her mind.

Of course no one knows, but there's that thing I just said about the best predictor...

I like Biden and think he would make a fine president, but not to replace Hillary.

Again, no one said anything about "replacing" Hillary. If the rabid rightwing smear machine is successful in dragging her down to the point she is a less effective candidate, right now I think Biden is a better prospect than Bernie (but I have an open mind).

We are looking at Hillary with jaundice eyes right now and the GOP propaganda machine is working overtime. Hillary, in my opinion, would be the better of the two.

...and you're entitled to your one opinion, as am I mine.

Biden ran twice before and never made enough of a dent to be memorable; he is politically ambitious to a fault; he is 73 years old, and frankly, many people in the private sector have already retired.

All of those things - he already ran and lost,he's ambitious, he's old, many his age have retired - are all non-sequitur at worst and at least not disqualifying factors .

Let us not allow the Republicans to force us to turn against Hillary. We have always known her to be a private person, and she is the same except now she's being so cornered that even some Dems are becoming nervous.

I do not believe Biden can win against the GOP, and Hillary who by all accounts can win against them. This is why the Republicans are so frightened! The GOP came up with the poison she might have masterminded the murder of Ambassador Chris Stevens in Benghazi. Now they're trying to make out she's a spy with her server and might have given secrets to another government.

The Republican Party is not lacking in a filthy creative imagination.

We are in agreement with that last sentence.
revelette2

Sun 23 Aug, 2015 06:39 am
I have noticed people who were for Hillary in 2008 seem to be pretty intolerant of any other democrats running or thinking to run and just as intolerant of those democrat supporters. (To be fair, Bernie supporters are much the same if not a little worse.) They act as though Hillary is the only one who has a chance against the republicans and even support for any other than Hillary is just giving the other side more fuel for their campaigns.

For what it is worth if Biden decides to run, and I am going to vote for him and I hope his campaign comes out running for why he would be better a president than Hillary. I mean how are we supposed to make a choice if all the campaigners make it seem one democrat is as good as another?

If he decides not to run, I will vote for Hillary.

For me it is only a matter of who more appeals to me as I really think both would be better than a republican and I think either of them have about an equal chance of winning.
ossobuco

Sun 23 Aug, 2015 08:42 am
@Miller,
A tip - I was responding to another a2k person; you can see that person's post by clicking on the person's username at the top of my post.
0 Replies

korkamann

Sun 23 Aug, 2015 10:58 am
@snood,
I was under the influence of wine last night when I responded to your post, Snood. I apologize for not comprehending the exact meaning, and taking some things out of context.
snood

Sun 23 Aug, 2015 11:15 am
@korkamann,
korkamann wrote:

I was under the influence of wine last night when I responded to your post, Snood. I apologize for not comprehending the exact meaning, and taking some things out of context.

No problem dude. It's nice talking to you.
0 Replies

korkamann

Sun 23 Aug, 2015 11:17 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
I have noticed people who were for Hillary in 2008 seem to be pretty intolerant of any other democrats running or thinking to run and just as intolerant of those democrat supporters.

I am only going to respond to one part of your message, Revelette2. I like and admire all the Democrats in question. I admire Bernie, Biden, and my favorite, Hillary.

I am not intolerant of other Dems who might be running against her. *Personally,* I am being realistic. I simply do not think any of the two, Bernie or Biden can unseat Hillary as it stands today. Now it is a possibility she will be so vulnerable as a result of all the attacks on her credibility that some Dems will switch their support to Biden the most likely candidate to possibly unseat her. But that scenario is a long way off yet, and frankly I don't think Hillary will step down. If Hillary were to step down, I would throw my support to Biden.

I recall in 2008, initially I was for Hillary. Then when I saw Obama had a chance I dropped Hillary like a hot potato. I was even angry after the election when Hillary wanted to be VP and the pressure was on Obama to select her. I did not want Hillary anywhere near Obama, that was the animosity I had against her and Bill. Eventually, Barack offered her the position of Secretary of State. I didn't want her in that position, but Joe Biden had run against Obama and was made VP and so I was able to accept Hillary in the State job.

Now it might be a little guilt here because I dismissed her so in 2008. But I genuinely feel there is no one else in the Democratic Party with her gravitas. Sure, she has her faults, but she's not the only one and compared to the Republicans, I feel I have no other choice and would vote for Hillary a million times over.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 23 Aug, 2015 11:44 am
@glitterbag,
I made my argument. I'm fine with it.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 23 Aug, 2015 11:47 am
@Lash,
And if she is willing to at least endorse him and maybe run as VP with him, he'll throw his hat in the ring.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sun 23 Aug, 2015 12:05 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I made my argument. I'm fine with it.

I must have missed it. Oh well
0 Replies

revelette2

Sun 23 Aug, 2015 02:21 pm
@korkamann,
Fair enough, I apologize for making assumptions. Bad habit of mine. I guess I don't really see her "gravitas" but maybe it's there. I know Biden don't have any right now, not even sure if he is going to be able muster enough enthusiasm after his son's death to give it his all again. Nevertheless, I still like him and was glad he was made VP under Obama.
korkamann

Sun 23 Aug, 2015 04:43 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Fair enough, I apologize for making assumptions. Bad habit of mine. I guess I don't really see her "gravitas" but maybe it's there. I know Biden don't have any right now, not even sure if he is going to be able muster enough enthusiasm after his son's death to give it his all again. Nevertheless, I still like him and was glad he was made VP under Obama.

Thank you for your response, Revelette. No harm done. Biden, in my personal opinion, is well suited to be president as long as his health remains good. He certainly has dignity, seriousness, and expertise in the political world and is well liked. I was terribly excited when Obama selected him to be his running mate, a job Biden has performed well and beyond the call of duty in my estimation. He has proven much loyalty to the president.

Hillary has many of the endorsement in her pocket already and it's a possibility some might switch and turn to Biden but since many did just this in 2008, that is turn from Hillary to Obama, I think many think perhaps this time she has earned their loyalty. Former New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson today said he would endorse Democrat Hillary Clinton in her bid to win the November 2016 presidential election, calling her the best-qualified candidate. He was trying to blunt the talk that Biden would enter the race.

Who knows how this is going to turn out. The GOP is churning out propaganda by the truck loads. I knew the attacks on Clinton would be bad but this is something else! This overblown attack on the server in her home is too much. But this too will pass. The Republican Party even sent some operatives to try and bribe some Hillary workers with money...trying to capture them on film so they could put this damaging evidence in the media.....the Hillary Clinton workers had already been warned to expect Republican trickery. The Republicans have already made it more difficult for minorities to vote in many red states. The GOP is so evil and inept, they're fighting among themselves and constantly shown up to be a bunch of hypocrites. Who the Republicans are is reflected in the front-runner, Donald Trump, the first-class racist.
0 Replies

engineer

Mon 24 Aug, 2015 06:40 am
I think one of the real beneficiaries of the Biden run will be Sanders. Biden will probably not siphon off any Sanders supporters, but he could split the Clinton support. Just like Trump benefits because of the large Republican field, Sanders could win primaries of the non-Sanders vote is divided.
hawkeye10

Mon 24 Aug, 2015 12:32 pm
@engineer,
Biden supporters are the same people who tend to like Hillary, which is why him getting the moneymen backing to enter the race would be such a slam on Hillary. If that happens I would not put it past Hillary to quit, say "**** it, I dont need this".
georgeob1

Mon 24 Aug, 2015 02:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
Biden is merely the Democrat's only plausible alternative to Hillary. Independently of this new unfolding necessity, he wasn't previously considered as a plausible candidate by the Democrat establishment. Not hard to understand in view of his long history as a blowhard prone to frequent gaffes.

Strange times. Trump, Sanders and Biden all look equally implausible to me. I take all this to reflect a good deal of frustration across the political spectrum amidst the electorate. Such situations often lead to sudfden political change.
hawkeye10

Mon 24 Aug, 2015 02:46 pm
@georgeob1,
Why not Gore?
georgeob1

Mon 24 Aug, 2015 02:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
I believe Gore is quite dead politically, but if the Democrats wasnt to nominate him that would be fine with me.
hawkeye10

Mon 24 Aug, 2015 03:07 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I believe Gore is quite dead politically, but if the Democrats wasnt to nominate him that would be fine with me.

He gets to play the victim (Bush v Gore) and he gets to play the visionary (global warming).....sounds like a great combo for the D's. I never heard that the sexual assault charge was proven.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 24 Aug, 2015 03:15 pm
@georgeob1,
i agree that Gore isn't a credible candidate, but what the hell do I know? I didn't think Obama would win in 2008 or 2012. I've given up making predictions about any of this stuff.
0 Replies