Joe and Jill Biden respond to women who say he made them uncomfortable

Olivier5

Tue 30 Apr, 2019 01:04 pm
@revelette1,
So far so good.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Tue 30 Apr, 2019 02:28 pm
How long until the shiny 'newness ' of Biden wears off and the dimwitted press returns to stories about policy ideas?
Olivier5

Tue 30 Apr, 2019 02:41 pm
@Sturgis,
Why yes. He's got a "policy push" being prepared in some committee or another, but his campaign reeks of improvisation... we shall see.
0 Replies

snood

Tue 30 Apr, 2019 03:29 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

How long until the shiny 'newness ' of Biden wears off and the dimwitted press returns to stories about policy ideas?

Our stalwart press will definitely follow behind whatever they think gets ratings, that’s for sure. The candidates (including “shiny new” Biden) best way to deal with that is to run effective campaigns with well written speeches, carefully chosen appearances and limited gaffes.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Thu 2 May, 2019 05:21 am
The full name is Joseph Robinette Biden.

And no, it's not a French name or word, though robinet is French for "water tap".
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 2 May, 2019 05:52 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Lash wrote:

Oh dang. That smarts. Nobody's perfect - and he did attribute in the beginning,... damn. Like they say: stealing that deep into another man's life shows some defect.

Maybe it was a moment in time thing. What do you think?

I first heard about this back during Obama's first presidential campaign. It bothered me a lot then. It bothers me now that its being brought up again. I had to weigh it against the good I saw in him then, and if he runs, I'll have to go through that thought process again. I happen to believe that no one - no one - is completely pure, but these items from Biden's past are pretty vexing. His tendency to sputter nonsense without thinking is one thing - 'crazy uncle Joe' - more a mild embarrassment than mortifying. But if he appears to have a shaky relationship with truth and that shakiness looks like it might still be a part of who he is, it may well affect the chances of my supporting any campaign effort.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 2 May, 2019 05:53 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

My feelings about Biden are evolving. Here's an article detailing several reasons why progressive (or liberal if you prefer) voters should run the other way from Biden. It details, among other things:
- how his voting record in congress has drifted steadily to the right since he first came in (in the 70's?)
- his contribution to the creation of the disastrous 'war on drugs' and the explosion of the prison population of non-violent offenders
-his ill treatment of women during the Anita Hill and Lani Guinier hearings

-and other things that give me serious pause. His popularity in the polls just now may be because like Clinton during her Secretary of State Years, he hasn't been bombarded by the scrutiny of the sharpshooting press.

Enough with the Joe Biden nonsense: The real reasons why the D.C. media loves him, but progressives should run away screaming

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/10/enough_with_the_joe_biden_nonsense_the_real_reasons_why_the_d_c_media_loves_him_but_progressives_should_run_away_screaming/
0 Replies

Brand X

Thu 2 May, 2019 06:02 pm
Curiously, Biden is currently saying we need to get out of Yemen but not Venezuela. To me that's another example of his poor judgement, we need to get out of both places.
Lash

Thu 2 May, 2019 06:15 pm
@Brand X,
But Venezuela has oil—and if we stay in Venezuela long enough, they’ll start using the petrodollar again! Presto!
Brand X

Fri 3 May, 2019 04:47 am
This is from 2015 when a marble bust of Cheney was placed in Emancipation Hall of the Capitol.

Emma Vigeland

Verified account

@EmmaVigeland
19h19 hours ago
More
Joe Biden: "I actually like Dick Cheney... I get on with him. I think he's a decent man."

He adds that Cheney was "extremely helpful" about the "legal parameters" of the VP office. Without irony.

Mondale then says his view of Cheney is "a little bit different." The crowd laughs

https://twitter.com/i/status/1123975598999789571
0 Replies

snood

Sat 4 May, 2019 05:05 pm
Yup, I think that compliment ot Cheney, his similar conplimenting of Pence, and his handling of the Anita Hill/Clarence Thomas debacle are going to be the things that challenge him the most.
0 Replies

snood

Sat 4 May, 2019 05:06 pm
@Lash,
What is Bernie's opinion about getting out of/staying in Venezuela?
Lash

Sat 4 May, 2019 05:27 pm
@snood,
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/bernie-sanders-opposes-us-military-intervention-venezuela-2019-4

Bernie opposes military intervention in Venezuela.
snood

Sat 4 May, 2019 05:57 pm
@Lash,
Oh, good. That's not what I asked.
Lash

Sat 4 May, 2019 06:07 pm
@snood,
I thought that was exactly what you asked.

You’d have to clarify your question to get an answer. I’m not sure how Bernie feels about the Jacobson family in Caracas and their travel plans.
snood

Sat 4 May, 2019 06:17 pm
@Lash,
Okay, play dumb when you don’t have an answer. No skin off.

Not providing military support is not the same as getting out. But you know that.
Lash

Sat 4 May, 2019 06:22 pm
@snood,
Snood, I can’t tell you how Bernie feels about someone in Venezuela if you can’t tell me who it is.
snood

Sat 4 May, 2019 06:38 pm
@Lash,
We were talking about whether he believes the US should get out of Venezuela or stay there. But you knew that.
Lash

Sat 4 May, 2019 06:44 pm
@snood,
Again, I’m not going to assume who you mean and compound the folly by assuming what Bernie thinks about it.

Bizarre.