The press didnt report the truth about the Fence

revel

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 12:14 pm
Quote:
Why would a nation give back land that they continued to be attacked from?
What other nations in the world would you suggest take this course of action?

So what you are saying is that since Israel had to defend itself back in the Arab war they fought and they won, they got to claim any land that they wanted that was outside the land granted to them in the United Nations thing as compensation for having to defend themselves?

So, if Mexico decides to fight us and we go over there and blow the heck out of them we get to claim any land of Mexico undisputed forever?

We live in a modern civilized age, not back in the land conquering, might always wins over valor day and age. Or at least I always thought so before having my eyes opened to the ugly realities.

Before the war, they fought Israel because they were getting squeezed out and unfairly treated which is why the Arabs began to fight in the first place; so of course before the unlawful occupation and settlements Israel was attacked.

I don't think you have proof that before Israel became a state a lot of violence occured against those that were Jewish that lived in the area that was out of porportion to any violence that may have been committed against any other people that lived in the area before Israel became a state.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 01:35 pm
link
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 02:37 pm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 02:49 pm
mysteryman wrote:
The United Nations has once again dis graced itself, courtesy of the pro foundly misnamed International Court of Justice, whose morally bankrupt ruling last week gave a green light to Palestinian terrorism.

Quote:
The U.S. accepted the Court's compulsory jurisdiction in 1946 but withdrew its acceptance following the Court's judgment in 1984 that called on it to "cease and to refrain" from the unlawful use of force against Nicaragua

I see.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 02:57 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
The United Nations has once again dis graced itself, courtesy of the pro foundly misnamed International Court of Justice, whose morally bankrupt ruling last week gave a green light to Palestinian terrorism.

Quote:
The U.S. accepted the Court's compulsory jurisdiction in 1946 but withdrew its acceptance following the Court's judgment in 1984 that called on it to "cease and to refrain" from the unlawful use of force against Nicaragua

I see.

You either dont see,or dont read what you see.
I distinctly said..."FRom the NY Post"
That means I was quoting them.It was an editorial they published.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 03:08 pm
I know. Sorry that I just used A2K-software as it is.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 03:32 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Craven,
While I agree with most of what you are saying,would you clarify a few things for me?

I can try.

Quote:
While I absolutely agree that the fence is wrong....

I think the fence is a really good idea, so you aren't agreeing with me here.

Quote:
...you seem to be saying that Israel must return all the land it occupies.Am I wrong in that assumption?

I certainly do think Israel should return all the land it illegally occupies.

Quote:
Would you have Israel return the Golan Heights,which it took from Syria AFTER syria attacked Israel?

Yes of course. Israel illegally occupies this land. The illegal status is recognized by every single nation I am aware of.

While the US tends to focus on the illegal occupation of the Palestinian territoris since Golan is not a hot spot the US also does not support Israel's occupation here and our position is that Israel should return to pre-1967 lines.

Israel's justification for seizing the Golan heights is that it is strategic land necessary for Israel's defense.

In 1967 this was closer to the truth but currently Israel is under no existential threat and the rich farmland in the Golan heights provide more motivation for Israel to keep the land than strategic military advantage.

Furthermore, Syria did not initiate the attack against Israel in the 1967 war. Israel attacked Syria.

You might recall that the 1967 war was initiated by Israel as a pre-emptive measure.

Quote:
While I do agree that Israel must remove their settlements from occupied land,I do not believe that they should return ANY of the land they took after they were invaded by the Arab nations.

None of the land Israel occupies right now has anything to do with Israel being "invaded".

Those would be the older lines and most of the world has made peace with the idea of Israel keeping the land they seized and kept prior to 1967. Right now the negotiations center on land Israel seized in the 1967 pre-emptive war of Israel's initiation.

Quote:

Also,on a personal note,where in San Diego? Thats my home town.

Right now, on C street downtown overlooking the ocean from 22 floors up.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 04:24 pm
craven, why do you think it would be a good idea for the fence?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 04:55 pm
See here: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28537
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 04:54 pm
Moishe3rd wrote:
....Please show me another nation on earth that has given back land won in a war while its enemy continues to attack from that land, besides Israel, which has given back land it won in a war while the enemy continued to attack from that land.

Britain. India. Britain conquered India, and later gave it back. And a lot more places besides.

And probably would have got round to doing the same for the American colonies, if Yasser Arafat, sorry George Washington, had not intervened first in decisive fashion.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 05:55 pm
McTag wrote:
Moishe3rd wrote:
....Please show me another nation on earth that has given back land won in a war while its enemy continues to attack from that land, besides Israel, which has given back land it won in a war while the enemy continued to attack from that land.

Britain. India. Britain conquered India, and later gave it back. And a lot more places besides.

And probably would have got round to doing the same for the American colonies, if Yasser Arafat, sorry George Washington, had not intervened first in decisive fashion.

That's weird.
I don't think India was attacking Great Britain militarily or or even attacking the British Raj when Great Britain gave India its independence.
Again, I can't think of a single war, conquest or military action where the winner gave back the land while the winner was still being attacked from the land they were surrendering.
But, I'm willing to be corrected on this.
Anyone?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 06:12 pm
Moisge3rd,

What land did Israel "give back while its enemies continued to attack from that land"? Be specific, as I have every specific tract of land that Israel has occupied in mind when I pose this question and am looking for specific answers.

When you answer, I will have a series of followups. The point you are attempting to make is indicative of far less benevolence on the part of Israel than you are trying to make out.

And BTW, there were some attacks from some Indians, which should qualify if things like the Lebanon withdrawal counts for Israel.

Lastly, Israel has unique negatives too, should we view those negatives as an indictment of Israel's character? Because if your point is to illustrate Israel's unique "goodness" of sorts then this standard for evidence would make it very easy to make a case for "badness" as well.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:18 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Moisge3rd,

What land did Israel "give back while its enemies continued to attack from that land"? Be specific, as I have every specific tract of land that Israel has occupied in mind when I pose this question and am looking for specific answers.

When you answer, I will have a series of followups. The point you are attempting to make is indicative of far less benevolence on the part of Israel than you are trying to make out.

And BTW, there were some attacks from some Indians, which should qualify if things like the Lebanon withdrawal counts for Israel.

Lastly, Israel has unique negatives too, should we view those negatives as an indictment of Israel's character? Because if your point is to illustrate Israel's unique "goodness" of sorts then this standard for evidence would make it very easy to make a case for "badness" as well.

Rolling Eyes

From: Strategic Implications of the Israeli Withdrawal from South Lebanon
by Gary C. Gambill

The withdrawal of Israeli forces from south Lebanon earlier this month has completely transformed the strategic playing field between Israel and Syria. While Israel has no doubt lost a defensive buffer against Syrian-orchestrated paramilitary attacks, the withdrawal allows Israel to adopt a strategy of military deterrence against Syria that had until now been politically inexpedient.

The Israeli-Lebanese border fence near Metulla (AP Photo/Eyal Warsavsky)
The control of southern Lebanon by Syrian paramilitary forces is a significant asset for Damascus from a military operational standpoint. Hezbollah, whose military wing consists of 600-800 well-trained, experienced guerrillas and around 2,000-4,000 reserve fighters, clearly has the capability to strike more effectively at Israel. In light of the militia's renowned success in launching coordinated assaults on heavily fortified outposts in the former security zone, it should have little difficulty undertaking deadly attacks on the exposed civilian settlements of northern Israel. A correspondent for the Economist who toured the Israeli-Lebanese border earlier this month wrote that "the hills on the Lebanese side rise so steeply above the border that a determined guerrilla could jump the fence without difficulty, or lob grenades into one of the settlements on the other side."1

While the withdrawal has tremendously empowered Syria's surrogate military presence in south Lebanon, the window of justification for unprovoked attacks against Israeli forces has narrowed considerably. Syria's proxy war against Israel encountered little international criticism as long as Israel occupied Lebanese territory--indeed, with the exception of the U.S., most countries tacitly recognized the Syrian-sponsored campaign as an indigenous national liberation movement (which, strangely enough, seemed more intent on preventing an Israeli withdrawal in recent months). If the Israeli withdrawal from Lebanese territory is officially deemed by the United Nations to fulfill the requirements of UN Security Council Resolution 425, then the Syrian regime will risk international isolation if it continues to sponsor such attacks.

Not surprisingly, Damascus has desperately sought to preserve a pretext for sponsoring guerrilla war against Israel by attempting to forestall UN recognition that a full Israeli withdrawal has been completed. Lebanese officials have recently advanced a claim to the so-called "Shab'a farms," a 25 square kilometer area of rich agricultural land on the Western slope of Mt. Hermon. According to their position, this enclave, which was seized by Israeli forces during the 1967 Arab-Israeli war, is Lebanese territory. The implication of this claim is that the Israeli pullout from Lebanon is incomplete, legitimizing the continuation of attacks against Israel by Syria's Lebanese surrogates. In fact, Hezbollah guerrillas launched an artillery assault on an Israeli military post in the enclave just prior to the Israeli withdrawal (the first time the area has been attacked since 1967).

Most international observers have disputed the Lebanese claim on several grounds. The Shab'a farms were clearly designated as part of Syria by the original 1923 border demarcation. Syrian and Lebanese officials claim that Syria ceded the territory to Lebanon in 1951, but according to UN cartographic expert Miklos Pinter, no official maps of the Syrian-Lebanese border have ever indicated Lebanese sovereignty over the enclave.2 Moreover, the region was continuously occupied by Syrian forces until its capture by the Israelis in 1967. The fact that no Lebanese official had never mentioned this bizarre claim until now further aroused suspicion.

To the chagrin of Syria, Israel is garnering strong international support for its claim to have fully withdrawn from Lebanon in accordance with UN Security Council Resolution 425. In a report to the UN Security Council, UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan avoided an explicit ruling on the Shab'a farms dispute, but stated that that Resolution 425 applies only to territory occupied by Israel since its March 1978 invasion--refuting Syrian and Lebanese allegations that the Israeli withdrawal stipulated by this resolution is incomplete.

"It is our emphatic view that there can be no justification for initiating acts of violence [against Israel] at a time when Israel is in the process of implementing Resolution 425," said the U.S. State Department in a May 23 press release, which added that the Lebanese government now has a "responsibility" to restore its "effective authority in the area." Vice-President Al Gore went a step further, declaring that if Syria allows Hezbollah to continue acts of violence against Israel after the withdrawal, "President Assad will bear a heavy responsibility before the world." American congressional lawmakers introduced a bipartisan resolution explicitly applauding Israel's compliance with UN Resolution 425. Concurrent Resolution 331, passed on May 24 by the Senate and House of Representatives, also called upon the Lebanese government to maintain security in south Lebanon and ensure the disarmament of Hezbollah. The resolution explicitly mentioned the continuing occupation of Lebanon by 30,000 Syrian troops and called for "the withdrawal of all foreign forces from Lebanese territory so that Lebanon may exercise sovereignty throughout its territory."3

In light of this consensus, Syria is likely to face immense international criticism if its Lebanese proxies resume attacks against Israel in the aftermath of this month's withdrawal. The real question, then, concerns the extent to which international public opinion will deter Syria from sponsoring such attacks. As a result of the failed Clinton-Assad summit earlier this year, the Assad regime has come to recognize a harsh reality: Western economic and military support for Syria is, and will always be, contingent upon a final settlement in the Syrian-Israeli track of the peace process. The rapid diminishment of prospects for such a settlement may lead the Assad regime to conclude that nothing more can be gained from its embryonic love affair with the West, in which case international opprobrium will not necessarily prevent Syria from reigniting hostilities.

The Barak administration will ultimately rely first and foremost on a policy of direct military reprisals to deter Syria, in lieu of its previous (and ineffective) policy of indirect deterrence (administered by retaliation against non-Syrian forces and economic installations in Lebanon). "We have a plan for responding to any attack against us, one that includes Syrian targets in Lebanon," said Israel's chief of staff, Lt Gen Shaul Mofaz, just hours after the last Israeli soldier left Lebanon.4 In fact, the Israeli air force has already begun training its pilots to bomb two life-sized replicas of Syrian airfields in the Negev desert.5

In light of the unquestioned military superiority of the Israeli air force, Damascus will try to minimize the risk of retaliation by striving for what terrorism experts call "plausible deniability." This can be achieved by sponsoring attacks ostensibly launched by "lone individuals" or militant groups with no clear connection to Damascus. Hezbollah, which is well-known for its internal discipline and relative subservience to Syria, may not fit the bill, but Syria has ties with dozens of obscure Palestinian groups and splinter factions that have proliferated in the refugee camps of Lebanon in recent years. In order to maximize its plausible deniability, Syria must ensure 1) that its client regime in Beirut continues to exercise no authority over the Palestinian refugee camps and 2) that there is no UN presence in the Israeli-Lebanese border area capable of monitoring or obstructing cross border attacks. The latter may prove difficult for the Syrians to obstruct. American and European officials are strongly pushing for the deployment of UN peacekeeping troops in the area. In fact, despite sustained Syrian objections, most major Arab countries have expressed explicit support for UN involvement.6

Nevertheless, Damascus has already begun bolstering the military strength of pro-Syrian military factions in Lebanon. Ahmed Jibril's Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine-General Command (PFLP-GC), which is based in Damascus, has greatly expanded its military presence in the Syrian-controlled Beqaa Valley of Lebanon. PFLP-GC forces in the Beqaa, reportedly under the command of Jibril's son Jihad, are headquartered at the Dir al-Raza base, three km from the Syrian border with Lebanon. The forces there have been equipped with outdated Soviet-built T-55 tanks and the base is surrounded by Syrian anti-aircraft guns, as well as SA-2 and SA-6 surface-to-air missiles.

The Israeli air force attacked Dir al-Raza for the second time in three months on May 20, reportedly destroying ten tanks and killing three guerrillas. Syria is "doing everything in order to push Palestinians into activities against Israel following the withdrawal," an Israeli defense source quoted in Ha'aretz said after the attack. "As far as they are concerned, the advantage is that this will allow them to disclaim responsibility from attacks after they are done . . . We are sending a number of messages to the Syrians, which they understand."7 The attack may be a sign of things to come--a "preemptive" deterrence policy, so to speak, of targeting any buildup of forces by Syria's proxy forces in Lebanon.

From Eyes Upon The Land:

In 1977, one man captured the attention of the entire world, bringing about a change in the paradigm of Israeli-Arab relations. Anwar Sadat decided to visit Israel.
Until that time, Israeli and Arabs had seen each other face to face only on the battlefield, and now they would talk to each other directly without intermediaries.

Sadat had courage. Realizing that the path of action that he and his predecessors had been following had not brought him success, he was concerned about his country's future. Something new had to be done. So instead of listening to the worn-out tapes of advice he had received from Egyptian advisors, from other Arab leaders, from Washington and from Moscow, he decided to do something different, something which no one had ever dreamed of. He would go to Israel.

What was his intent? He wanted the return of the territory Egypt had lost in the Sinai; he wanted the time to rebuild his army without the threat of war; and he wanted American financial aid for his country.

Did he genuinely want peace with Israel? We can never know. To the other Arab leaders, he explained that he was not surrendering anything. He would receive what he could without fighting. And then, having improved Egypt's position, he said, he would leave the challenge of defeating Israel militarily to the next generation.

Was there nothing more? Were all the overtures of peace merely for show? Again, we cannot know. Twenty years later, the reality is that Israel's sacrifice of its dearly-developed oilfields almost destroyed its economy. There is a very cold peace between Egypt and Israel. There is next to no economic cooperation. At every international diplomatic or commercial event in Egypt, Israel's representatives are demonstratively snubbed. Egyptian tourists almost never come to Israel. In Egyptian media and schools, Israel is still described as "the enemy." The Egyptian army is stockpiling arms, and from time to time, Egyptian leaders speak of war against Israel.

But was that Sadat's intent? Had he have lived, would it have been different? Firstly, that itself is a lesson - that when making a treaty with an enemy, one has to take the worst possible scenario in mind, not merely hope for the best. We can never know what will happen in the future, and we cannot make real sacrifices in the mere hope that everything will work out.

Secondly, for peace to have been achieved, the bold ability to step beyond paradigms which Sadat demonstrated would have had to have been countered by a similar approach on the Israeli side, and unfortunately, that was lacking.

Peace can never be achieved when only one side gives and the other merely receives. This does not nurture an attitude of respect for an adversary. On the contrary, weakness encourages an adversary to try to take greater advantage. When both sides have surrendered something, there is a chance that they will consider an agreement worth honoring, but when one side has made all the sacrifices, the other side has nothing binding it. And that is what happened at Camp David.

Before Camp David, Israel controlled strategic mountain passes that would have made an Egyptian troop advance difficult; she had airfields in the Sinai which gave her advantages in both defensive and offensive movement; and she had oilfields which guaranteed her energy supply in time of war and supported her economy in peace. All these she sacrificed. In addition Begin gave the order to bulldoze the beautiful seaside township of Yamit, together with its surrounding cluster of thriving agricultural settlements on the Israeli side of the Gaza Strip.

In return Israel was handed a piece of paper; Sadat gave nothing of substance.

The Israeli Foreign Ministry maintains that the very fact that he recognized Israel's right to exist was a major breakthrough. But aside from the question of whether he was sincere or not,[21] that very concept is worthy of question. Is it proper to sacrifice major military and economic resources in exchange for such a proclamation?

The fault in the Israeli approach goes deeper. Sadat became a hero in Israel. He was lauded all over the country, and celebrations were held for his arrival. Israelis were overjoyed that an Arab leader had actually acknowledged their existence. So great was the adulation that there were Knesset members who proposed making Arabic a required language in schools.

Now did any such thing ever happen in Egypt? Or, for that matter, did American praise ever wax so eloquent when a Russian leader came to visit? It seemed that Israel was saying, "Well, since Sadat thinks we're important, I guess we are." Self-esteem came not from an inner sense of their own mission and purpose, but from the recognition granted by a foe.

Sadat heard that message, and for that reason he made no concession.

Israel spoke to him as if he was the leader of all the Arab countries. In particular, she made commitments to him with regard to the "West Bank." It was at Camp David that the term "autonomy" was coined.

The Palestinians had stated publicly that they did not see Sadat as their representative. He had no commitment to them, nor they to him. For sure, to try to upgrade his image in the Arab countries he felt it necessary to raise the Palestinian issue. But once it was raised, Israel could and should have answered the truth: "This is no concern of yours. Peace with the Palestinians has to be made with the Palestinians." And he would have left it at that, for his interests really lay only in strengthening his own country.

Nevertheless, the Israelis made commitments to him, acknowledging a limitation of their rights to the "West Bank."

For him, making the requests was almost a caprice. He had nothing to lose, so why not ask? But the Israelis had everything to lose, and nothing to gain by speaking to him about the issue. And yet they spoke - and made concessions.

In general, there was no reason for Israeli concessions. Sadat needed American support and money and could not get that without signing a peace treaty with Israel. He had already burned his bridges with the other Arab countries, and would not restore his image by breaking off negotiations with Israel and coming back emptyhanded. Carter was deeply involved in a reelection campaign and needed an agreement to improve his prestige among the voters.

Begin, by contrast, needed nothing. There was nothing substantial that Sadat was prepared to give, and within Israel, the fact that he was the prime minister who had brought Sadat to Jerusalem had bolstered his position immensely. Unquestionably, Sadat was going to make demands, and the Americans may have supported him initially, but Begin held all these cards in his hand; there was no reason for him to give in. And yet he made concession after concession, giving away (and even volunteering) security and economic assets without getting anything in return. This was unnecessary. He could have come away with a treaty without making any substantial concessions.

Is this mere conjecture? Not at all, because on one of the most sensitive points of all the negotiations, Begin stood his ground, and Sadat conceded. Sadat had demanded that Begin make concessions with regard to Jerusalem. On this point Begin stood firm and said, "No."

Now Jerusalem has sentimental value to the Arabs. A pledge from Begin on an altered status for Jerusalem would have been very flattering to Sadat's image. But when Begin stood firm, the matter was erased from the agenda.

The same motif could have been followed with regard to other matters. Sadat could have made demands, but Begin could have said "no." If he had said "no" firmly, the American pressure that had been placed on him would have shifted to Sadat. And Sadat would have had to concede, for he had more to lose. Indeed, from the time of Sadat's visit onward - significantly, many of the points mentioned above were made by the Rebbe in a public address delivered on the very night Sadat landed in Israel - the Rebbe argued that fortitude and patience were the only path to true peace.

Throughout the entire time, the Rebbe raised a cry of protest against the Israeli approach. Indeed, Camp David marks the beginning of the fifteen years during which the Rebbe repeatedly warned that the proposed autonomy would quickly grow into an armed and belligerent Palestinian state which would displace Israel and destroy the basic security of her Jewish inhabitants.

When Egypt violated the agreements, putting far more military men in the Sinai than the treaty allowed, the Rebbe called for a halt to the Israeli implementation of the remaining clauses. "Why continue withdrawing from land when the Egyptians are not maintaining their commitments?" he repeatedly asked. "Why the stubbornness on the part of the Israelis to observe every minor detail of the agreement, when the Arabs, those who have benefited most from it, violate the few restrictions which they undertook to honor?"

From '56 War:

In 1955, egyptian president gamal abdel nasser began to import arms from the soviet bloc to build his arsenal for the confrontation with Israel. In the short-term, however, he employed a new tactic to prosecute egypt's war with Israel. He announced it on August 31, 1955:
egypt has decided to dispatch her heroes, the disciples of pharaoh and the sons of Islam and they will cleanse the Land of Israel....There will be no peace on Israel's border because we demand vengeance, and vengeance is Israel's death.
Terrorist Attacks
These "heroes" were arab terrorists, or fedayeen, trained and equipped by egyptian intelligence to engage in hostile action on the borders and to infiltrate Israel to commit acts of sabotage and murder. The fedayeen operated mainly from bases in jordan, so that jordan would bear the brunt of Israel's retaliation, which inevitably followed. The terrorist attacks violated the armistice agreement provision that prohibited the initiation of hostilities by paramilitary forces; nevertheless, it was Israel that was condemned by the un security council for its counterattacks.
The escalation continued with the egyptian blockade of the Straits of Tiran, and nasser's nationalization of the Suez Canal in July 1956. On October 14, nasser made clear his intent:
I am not solely fighting against Israel itself. My task is to deliver the arab world from destruction through Israel's intrigue, which has its roots abroad. Our hatred is very strong. There is no sense in talking about peace with Israel. There is not even the smallest place for negotiations.
Less than two weeks later, on October 25, egypt signed a tripartite agreement with syria and jordan, placing nasser in command of all three armies.
The continued blockade of the Suez Canal and the Gulf of Aqaba to Israeli shipping, combined with the increased fedayeen attacks and the bellicosity of recent arab statements, prompted Israel, with the backing of Britain and France, to attack egypt on October 29, 1956.
Israeli Ambassador to the un, Abba Eban, explained the provocations to the security council on October 30:
During the six years, during which this belligerency has operated in violation of the armistice agreement, there have occurred 1,843 cases of armed robbery and theft, 1,339 cases of armed clashes with egyptian armed forces, 435 cases of incursion from egyptian controlled territory, and 172 cases of sabotage perpetrated by egyptian military units and fedayeen in Israel. As a result of these actions of egyptian hostility within Israel, 364 Israelis were wounded and 101 killed. In 1956 alone, as a result of this aspect of egyptian aggression, 28 Israelis were killed and 127 wounded.
Ike Forces Israel to Withdraw
The Israeli attack on egypt was successful, with Israeli forces capturing the gaza strip, much of the Sinai, and Sharm el-Sheikh. A total of 231 soldiers died in the fighting.
President Dwight Eisenhower was upset by the fact that Israel, France, and Great Britain had secretly planned the campaign to evict egypt from the Suez Canal. Israel's failure to inform the United States of its intentions, combined with ignoring American entreaties not to go to war, sparked tensions between the countries. The United States subsequently joined the soviet union (ironically, just after the soviets invaded Hungary) in a campaign to force Israel to withdraw. This included a threat to discontinue all U.S. assistance, un sanctions, and expulsion from the un.
U.S. pressure resulted in an Israeli withdrawal from the areas it conquered without obtaining any concessions from the egyptians. This sowed the seeds of the 1967 war.
One reason Israel did give in to Eisenhower was the assurance he gave to Prime Minister David Ben-Gurion. Before evacuating Sharm al-Sheikh, the strategic point guarding the Straits of Tiran, Israel elicited a promise that the United States would maintain the freedom of navigation in the waterway. In addition, Washington sponsored a un resolution creating the united nations emergency force (unef) to supervise the territories vacated by the Israeli forces.
The war temporarily ended the activities of the fedayeen; however, they were renewed a few years later by a loosely knit group of terrorist organizations that became know as the "palestine" "liquidation" organization (plo).
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:44 pm
Moishe3rd,

You may have been confused, I asked you a simple question and was not really inviting more od your skillful demonstrations of copying and paste.

I ask for you to get behind the instances you bring to substantiate the claim yourself, so that carping the position will be carping yours, not just any effigy of it you copy.

So again, what land are YOU (not your copy and paste skills) talking about. You do not even need to substantiate them, I know about them.

I am asking you to name them.

See, you are trying to make an "Israel is benevolent" argument, and I want to explore this, thing is, I wish to refute you on this, and not the texts you copy from others.

Don't cop out, don't pawn off your position on copied op ed drek. Can you not speak for yourself?

PS, get behind the Egypt one, that will be funny to watch.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:59 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Moisge3rd,

Crap.
Why do you refuse to see Israel.
Eretz Yisroel.
The Land of Israel.
B'nai Yisroel
The Children of Israel.

Life is not semantics my friend.
Life is beautiful.
All the time.
But the Pain…

Thousands upon thousands murdered at Betar as the Romans wallowed in Jewish blood. The dead remain unburied.
The bloody purges as Constantine, Justinian, the New Christians try to convince their wayward brethren to convert or die.
(Next year, please G-d, we should be in Yerushalayim)
Thousands of Jews pulled from their homes and tortured, burned alive in their synagogues, babies massacred in front of their mothers as the Crusaders sacked Worms and Mainz…. On their way to "free the Holy Land."
The joy of barbarism inflicted upon Jewish flesh. In the name of Jesus.
Burning in the fires of the Inquisition. Expelled from every European nation. Forced to travel from nation to nation. Used, robbed, beaten and expelled again.
The Chmielnicki massacres; the Cossack depradations; the agonies of deaths and total destruction of towns and villages throughout Russia and the Ukraine.
The pogroms; the murders undending.
The Great Fires of the Nazis. The Final Solution.

Feel the pain of three thousand years of Death by Horror. Death and torture and inhuman savagery because, only because, for no other reason at all… You're a Jew.

56 years ago; last week; a few minutes ago, the Jews; the despised; the murdered; the degraded; the lost, went back to the Land of Israel.
And were met again by Death. By Hatred. By Destruction.

Never Again.
Make Peace with us, brother.
Never Again.
Live by us. Become our friend. Prosper and Grow.
Never Again.

We will remain in the land.
We will not die.
We will not go away.
Never again.

The Great Secret of How to Defeat Israel.
Offer them Peace. Offer them Life. Marry their daughters. Adopt their sons.
And, within a generation, they will be no more…..

Until then, they will build a wall to keep out the Death.

LENORE

by Edgar Allan Poe
(1831)
Ah, broken is the golden bowl! the spirit flown forever!
Let the bell toll!- a saintly soul floats on the Stygian river;
And, Guy de Vere, hast thou no tear?- weep now or nevermore!
See! on yon drear and rigid bier low lies thy love, Lenore!
Come! let the burial rite be read- the funeral song be sung!-
An anthem for the queenliest dead that ever died so young-
A dirge for her the doubly dead in that she died so young.

"Wretches! ye loved her for her wealth and hated her for her pride,
And when she fell in feeble health, ye blessed her- that she died!
How shall the ritual, then, be read?- the requiem how be sung
By you- by yours, the evil eye,- by yours, the slanderous tongue
That did to death the innocence that died, and died so young?"

Peccavimus; but rave not thus! and let a Sabbath song
Go up to God so solemnly the dead may feel no wrong.
The sweet Lenore hath "gone before," with Hope, that flew beside,
Leaving thee wild for the dear child that should have been thy
bride.
For her, the fair and debonair, that now so lowly lies,
The life upon her yellow hair but not within her eyes
The life still there, upon her hair- the death upon her eyes.
"Avaunt! avaunt! from fiends below, the indignant ghost is riven-
From Hell unto a high estate far up within the Heaven-
From grief and groan, to a golden throne, beside the King of
Heaven!
Let no bell toll, then,- lest her soul, amid its hallowed mirth,
Should catch the note as it doth float up from the damned Earth!
And I!- to-night my heart is light!- no dirge will I upraise,
But waft the angel on her flight with a Paean of old days!"
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 10:09 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Moisge3rd,

Israelis are arrogant, secular, jerks.
The have treated the Palestinians like Middle Eastern niggers for most of their brief history (as does all of the Middle East).
They are really, really rude.
Jews are a contentious lot; a stiff necked people. Two Jews, three opinions. And that will be the death of them.
They are filled with self-righteous anger, thinking themselves to be better than their Arab neighbors. Agreeing with the disagreeable stereotypes of Arabs in general.
Proud and irreligious. They hold themselves above others and refuse to acknowledge their Creator.
They claim the Land of Israel, yet disdain their heritage.

In short, they are like every other nation on Earth.
Very human. Very ordinary. Very weird.

For all that, we will not die. For all that, promises have been made and promises will be kept.

Israel has no unique goodness. Nor does it have the unique badness that have compelled savages to murder us for thousands of years.... And continue to this day.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 10:18 pm
Poe wrote:
Much I marvelled this ungainly fowl to hear discourse so plainly,
Though its answer little meaning, little relevancy bore;

Dear Jebus, more copy paste, and Poe is yet another victim of mindless zeal.

Quote:
Crap.

Make a case that hath not as its base your skills at copy and paste.

Quote:
Why do you refuse to see Israel.

I don't. Israel is one of my favorite countries and I remain very interested in Israel. I do business with many of Israel's fine technological companies and am in daily contact with Israelis in Israel.

I suspect your question is really "why do you refuse to don these rose-coloured glasses and exhibite blind love for Israel?"

And I can answer that, it's because I do not willingly adopt idiocy.

It's because Israel has among its supporters irrantional fools who bring Israel harm through their blind zeal.

Their idiocy needs to be called on, hell the idiocy runs so deep that many times they are found making lame exhortations and bursting into blitering prose in lieu of reason.

Quote:
Eretz Yisroel.
The Land of Israel.
B'nai Yisroel
The Children of Israel.

Aaaahh aaaah ahhhh ahhh ahhh ahh allllriiiigghhhhtttyyyy theeeen.

Quote:
Life is not semantics my friend.
Life is beautiful.
All the time.
But the Pain…

This is semantics. Actually, that gives it too much credit, it's blithering nonsense when viewed in the context you posit it.

As far as substantiation goes this is the level you are at:

Person A: "What evidence do you have for your claim?"

Person B: "Hallelujah sheebebebedodododod shalalaslalalalalala hararabababalanda a sheeebebebebebebeb hallelujah.....

I trust that answers your inquiry."

I 'see' Israel and find it hillarious that you'd hijack Poe to try to call Israel innocent.

Again, do you have the ability to speak for yourself? Or must you hide behind your prowess at copy and paste? Is nonsensical wordplay your only stock and store?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 10:29 pm
Moishe3rd wrote:
Israelis are arrogant, secular, jerks.

Some are, some aren't.

Quote:
The have treated the Palestinians like Middle Eastern niggers for most of their brief history (as does all of the Middle East).

They have also, for the most part, tried to stay atop the moral high ground, as slippery as it may be.

Quote:
They are really, really rude.

Yeah, the whole monolitic lot....

To paraphrase a foreign saying: "Either 8 or 80".

Quote:
Jews are a contentious lot; a stiff necked people.

Jews have necks of standard pliability. I've checked.

Quote:
Two Jews, three opinions. And that will be the death of them.

Either that or the not living anymore thing.

Quote:
They are filled with self-righteous anger, thinking themselves to be better than their Arab neighbors.

But they are aren't they? After all can you name any nation that "gave back the land while the winner was still being attacked from the land they were surrendering"?

Anyone? Anyone?

Quote:
Agreeing with the disagreeable stereotypes of Arabs in general.

Agreeing with the disagreeable... nemind.

Quote:
Proud and irreligious. They hold themselves above others and refuse to acknowledge their Creator.

Oh they acknowledge their parents, maybe not the idols some fruitcases worship but they acknowledge the real creators.

Quote:
They claim the Land of Israel, yet disdain their heritage.

You forgot "self-hating".

Quote:
For all that, we will not die.

"Invincible... so far."

Seriously dude, Jews die too.

Quote:
Israel has no unique goodness. Nor does it have the unique badness that have compelled savages to murder us for thousands of years.... And continue to this day.

I beg to differ, Israel does have its savages. This persecution complex is understandable but the denial is a lie and a dangerous one.

It might make fools think that such savagery is not within Israel's capability while the victims of Israel's stupidity are just as dead and Israel's actions very frequently constitute murder.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 04:18 am
A lot of Jews and supporters of Israel worldwide, even in the USA and in Israel itself, have the opinion that Israel's approach to the Palestinian problem is wrong, for a variety of reasons, and ultimately self-defeating.
Do you think that this opinion is gaining ground?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 06:24 am
Quote:
Do you think that this opinion is gaining ground?

We can always hope.

Not that I think things should go the other way and bash and always take the Palestinian side. But fear of that is no reason to keep taking the israeli side time and time again.

I agree and accept wholeheartedly that the holocaust and all the things that happened to the Jewish people during that time was completely horrible. I also think that there are jerks in our country who bash Jewish people and all other people besides "christian whites." But like I said it is not fair to always put the Jews in a continual victim like label and therefore always deserving of sympathy. In my opinion what they are doing now in Israel by oppressing the Palestinians, who by the way I think are more than just Muslims and Arabs, but Christians and a lot of other nationalities, is wrong and so since they are not entirely blameless the terrorist actions on the part of the some of the Palestinian people should be looked at differently than just mindless terror for no reason.
0 Replies