The press didnt report the truth about the Fence

Karzak

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 04:31 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:

Many ignorant people define ethnic cleansing as killing but it also involves explusion.

Look it up in Mirriam Webster for example.

I did, and you should also.

Main Entry: ethnic cleansing
Function: noun
: the expulsion, imprisonment, or killing of ethnic minorities by a dominant majority group
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 04:32 pm
I had done so prior to my comment.
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 04:42 pm
Then you didn't know that in 1948 the jews were the minority?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 04:49 pm
The reason I "didn't know" that is because it is untrue, and I do not make a habit of taking up positions I know to be false.

Israel held the majority in population in the region they grew in.

As early as 1940 they had already secured a 30% share of the overall population, and in the area carved out for them in 1947 they had an immediate majority.

During the war in question, only 14-25% of the Arab population remained granting Israel an even greater majority to subsequently deny the return of the refugees.
0 Replies

hareega

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 04:52 pm
When Jews are controlling the business in america, nobody would dare to criticize Israel. When Sharon killed 50 Palestenian civilians in one day, we heard Bush saying "Sharon is a man of peace". So no matter how much Israel is offending others and their lands, US politicians will never dare to crticize Israel. Kerry would simply lose the elections if he supported the the latest decision.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 04:56 pm
The Jews control me and all my opinions, yet I still manage to take up some uncomplimentary positions for them. They ain't all that bad.
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 05:15 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
The reason I "didn't know" that is because it is untrue, and I do not make a habit of taking up positions I know to be false.

Israel held the majority in population in the region they grew in.

LOL, Jews were still the minority.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 05:23 pm
Yes, for example Jews were in the minority in the overall region of pan-Arab states.

Jews were in the majority in the area where Arab transfer occured.

It is possible for a group to be a majority in a subset of a larger region in which they are a minority, thereby enabling your word play in calling them the minority.

Ultimately, in the area that Arabs were transferred from, they were a majority and dominant.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 05:23 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Moishe3rd wrote:
I suggest you do some serious study of Palestine, Islam, and Israel.
The reason we fight Islamic Fascist terror today has very little to do with Israel and everything to do with Islam......
The root of the trouble is that this entire Moslem region is totally dysfunctional, by any standard of the word, and would have been so even if Israel would have joined the Arab league and an independent Palestine would have existed for 100 years.

Israel's:

1) Expantionism2) Vengefull reactions
3) Occupation
4) Claiming of land that they aquired through violence

Have a bit to do with their segment of this issue. Trying to pawn a territorial dispute off on a religion is insipid.

Insipid?? Dull?? Flavorless?? Boring?? I'm not sure I get your point.

1) Expantionism
The expansionism of Israel goes how?

If you are referring to the Biblical delineations, then Israel hasn't gotten there yet and hasn't tried to attain those borders.

If you are referring to land taken after Israel was attacked, please show me another nation on earth that has given back land won in a war while its enemy continues to attack from that land, besides Israel, which has given back land it won in a war while the enemy continued to attack from that land.

If you are referring to some other sort of expanionism, please explain.
]2) Vengefull reactions
Vengeful reactions differ from the dysfunctional Arab/Muslim cultural mandate of domination over one another at all costs - how?

3) Occupation
Jews were attacked by Muslims in Ottoman Palestine.
Israel was attacked before it became a state.
Israel was attacked after it became a state.
The Israeli occupation of the West Bank of Jordan and Egypt's Gaza Strip occurred in 1967, after Israel had been attacked almost daily for the previous twenty years by Arab Muslim States.
How were those previous twenty years of attacks the result of Occupation?

See Expansionism, your point one and my response.
What nation has ever given back land that they continue to be attacked from?
Why would a nation give back land that they continued to be attacked from?
What other nations in the world would you suggest take this course of action?

Now, if you want real issues that are the fault of the Israelis, you could cite monumental rudeness; elitism; arrogance; and the resistance to getting their hands dirty when they have a captive population to do their dirty work.
These are points of condemnation.
But they are not excuses to intentionally, with malice aforethought, murder children, women and innocents.
I still suggest you read the histories....
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 05:29 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:

Jews were in the majority in the area where Arab transfer occured.

Nope, not in the 1948 War of Independence.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 05:35 pm
Redheat wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Since building the wall, attacks in northern Israel have practically ceased.

Well if a neighbor was annoying you with their outside activities and you built a fence on their property disallowing them to be outside, then your annoyance would cease. Would that make your taking it upon yourself to impede on their land right?

If they were murdering my children whenever they could, YES! 100% Morally, politically, ethically, legally Right!
And every single country in the world would and has done exactly that. Except that usually the population of the offensive country has been decimated first. Israel is attempting to keep out Murderers who worship Death.

The wall was declared illegal because it impeded on Palestinians and their land. Sorry but no matter how you spin it thats wrong. If you want to build a wall then allow them to determine the borders and give them access to the same kinds of business. Which means finance them so they can live, and work independently from Israel.

No bubbela, that's right. It is right to passively defend yourself against murderers instead of aggressively killing every man woman and child you can possibly kill.
Business, finance, work, money, independence, and a decent life all require Laws. The Palestinians have no Law.

Think of it in terms of a pressure cooker. Sure the ingredients will stay inside the pot and simmer for a long time, but turn up the heat and ignore it and the pressure will force that inside out.
Trying to contain this pressure with a wall will only eventually guarantee the pressue will force the explosian out into the surrounding areas.

And, that is the only accurate statement you have made.
The Israelis are trying to TURN DOWN THE HEAT by removing themselves as targets of opportunities.
And they are trying to eliminate the murderous leaders in the Palestinian areas who turn up the heat and try to force the explosions.
You are correct.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 05:36 pm
Moishe3rd wrote:

Insipid?? Dull?? Flavorless?? Boring?? I'm not sure I get your point.

I suspect you do, and that you feign lacking understanding in order to imply that it does not merit understanding.

But I'll spell it out again:

If you claim that the mid east conflict is due to religion (as opposed to territory) it would be an inspid claim.

I speak of vapidity, not palate.

Quote:
1) Expantionism
The expansionism of Israel goes how?

Through systemic settling, through military conquest and through annexations justified as necessary for defense.

Quote:
If you are referring to the Biblical delineations, then Israel hasn't gotten there yet and hasn't tried to attain those borders.

Israel as a monolithic entity might not be attempting this but elements within Israel including parties in political power have and frequently state this as a goal.

Quote:
If you are referring to land taken after Israel was attacked, please show me another nation on earth that has given back land won in a war while its enemy continues to attack from that land, besides Israel, which has given back land it won in a war while the enemy continued to attack from that land.

I have never claimed to know of such an example, address this to one who does.

Whether or not you think it is just speaks nothing of whether or not it is an expantion.

Quote:
If you are referring to some other sort of expanionism, please explain.

Se my earlier elucidation.

Quote:
]2) Vengefull reactions
Vengeful reactions differ from the dysfunctional Arab/Muslim cultural mandate of domination over one another at all costs - how?

Once again, Moishe3rd, I will not fall prey to intellectual laziness and be baited into a position I do not hold.

I made no claim that others do not share this quality.

Whether or not they do, says nothing about whether or not Israel does, and whether or not Israel doing so contributes toward the conflict.

Quote:
3) Occupation
Jews were attacked by Muslims in Ottoman Palestine.
Israel was attacked before it became a state.
Israel was attacked after it became a state.
The Israeli occupation of the West Bank of Jordan and Egypt's Gaza Strip occurred in 1967, after Israel had been attacked almost daily for the previous twenty years by Arab Muslim States.
How were those previous twenty years of attacks the result of Occupation?

Again Moishe3rd you demonstrate either deceit or reading incomprehension. I never claimed that every instance of Arabs attacking Jews was due to occupation. Asking me to then illustrate that it is is a straw man.

Quote:
See Expansionism, your point one and my response.
What nation has ever given back land that they continue to be attacked from?
Why would a nation give back land that they continued to be attacked from?
What other nations in the world would you suggest take this course of action?

See questions as a means of diverting from a simple point.

See questions that do not refute the point.

See "justified" having nothing to do with whether ot not expantion took place.

Quote:

Now, if you want real issues that are the fault of the Israelis, you could cite monumental rudeness; elitism; arrogance; and the resistance to getting their hands dirty when they have a captive population to do their dirty work.
These are points of condemnation.
But they are not excuses to intentionally, with malice aforethought, murder children, women and innocents.
I still suggest you read the histories....

I am confident that my grasp of both the conflict's history and the intricacies of the political situation that currently exists far exceeds yours.

This, however, is a silly penis to measure and if you are done addressing points I did not make perhaps you would be so good as to address the ones that I did.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 09:56 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Quote:
If you claim that the mid east conflict is due to religion (as opposed to territory) it would be an inspid claim.
I speak of vapidity, not palate.

All right Craven, as you seem to insist on wordage, I will assume that you are alluding to "without merit." In your view, the mid east conflict is due to territorial claims, not religion.

Most wars and large or long conflicts between peoples tend to be about religion or values, which, for the purposes of brevity, I will use the term philosophy.

They are not about territory per se, they are about differing philosophies.

From the Peloponnesian Wars to the Crusades to the American Revolution to World War II, the conflicts were fought over different philosophies.
A useful example would be the Islamic conquests:
Muhammed had succeeded in uniting the Bedouin tribes of Arabia, ridding them of their pagan ways, and utilising their traditions of raiding and looting into political conquest.
Following the death of Muhammed, during the reign of Abu Bakr, the first Caliph after Muhammed, most of the Bedouin tribes reverted to their old ways of intertribal warfare, and Abu Bakr had to wage war against them in order to return them to the flock.
This was known as the redda wars (wars of apostasy).
After shortly succeeding in subduing the insurgency the reconverted tribes started raiding southern Iraqi cities which were under the control of the Sassanids. Many of these incursions brought great material gains for the tribal warriors, and since these cities were inhabited by older tribes (such as the Manadhira) which had settled earlier in Iraq, the warriors were met with little resistance, which encouraged them to raid and conquer more land up north along the Euphrates until they had beseiged Damascus.
During the reign of Omar, the second Caliph, the Arab tribes had already beaten the two major empires in the region and occupied Iraq, Syria, Egypt, and Persia.
This Jihad was less motivated by Islamic religious fervour than by the ancient Bedouin traditions and philosophy of raiding and warfare.
Muslims were not supposed to raid fellow Muslims, but raiding was the Arab/Bedouin way of life and therefore Islam spread quickly as the tribes had to find new territories to practice their way of life.
Many often assume that Islamic conversion was forced by the sword, however the invading Arab tribes didn't care less if the conquered populations converted or not, they were just doing what they were good at - raiding and looting.

Now, the same could be said of American Manifest Destiny or European worldwide colonization. The motivation for conquest is and was based on a philosophy of life, not on the acquisition of territory.

The Palestinian/Israeli conflict is not based on territory. It is based on two diametrically opposed philosophies.

This idea is espoused by both the Palestinians and the Israelis.

The following article is about the Arab/Muslim philosophy of Death.

May 24, 2004, 8:46 a.m.
Dealing in DeathCraven de Kere wrote:
Quote:
I am confident that my grasp of both the conflict's history and the intricacies of the political situation that currently exists far exceeds yours. Shocked
This, however, is a silly penis to measure and if you are done addressing points I did not make perhaps you would be so good as to address the ones that I did.

Rolling Eyes
Have I sufficiently addressed your point regarding the idea that the Israeli Palestinian conflict is about territory?
It is not about territory.
It is about life and death.
And the fence represents life for Israelis.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 10:52 pm
Moishe3rd wrote:
Most wars and large or long conflicts between peoples tend to be about religion or values, which, for the purposes of brevity, I will use the term philosophy.

You are exhibiting the fallacy of equivocation. You segue from religion to values and call the difference a difference of philosophy.

True, according to some word play, you can describe a territorial dispute as a difference in "values" but this is misleading.

But forget that prevarication and address your fallacy of equivocation.

Your initial claim was that the conflict is due to deficiencies in the Muslim religion. Let's keep that in mind as you move the goal posts here.

Quote:
They are not about territory per se, they are about differing philosophies.

I guess you can say that the Israeli 'philosophy' of "greater Israel" is in conflict with Palestinian terrorist's "push into the sea" philosophy.

This word play is interesting. I'm gonna tell my brother that we once had a "philosophical difference" over the monkey bars.

Quote:
The Palestinian/Israeli conflict is not based on territory. It is based on two diametrically opposed philosophies.

Funny that. All the breakdowns in peace talks and negotiations center on territory disputes, and not "philosophical differences".

But I suppose you might be inclined to say that this is just some code language they use to lay out their "philosophical differences" and when they walk out over strips of land it's really the opposite side's religious beliefs that make them wicked pissed.

Quote:
This idea is espoused by both the Palestinians and the Israelis.

It may be espoused by some of them, especially the religious among them who like to work their religion into anything.

Thing is, you can find someone to support any dumb idea.

For example, I am aware of an individual who claims "most" wars are over "philosophical differences".

Quote:
Have I sufficiently addressed your point regarding the idea that the Israeli Palestinian conflict is about territory?

Huh? Really Moishe3rd it is to laugh, and to laugh out loud at that.

Simply and dimplomatically put, no copying and pasting an article did precious little to make the risible case that the territorial dispute in the mid-east is due to deficiencies in the Muslim religion (your initial claim) or even the new goal posts of "philosophical differences".

While I can admire your prowess with Control C and Control V I must say that this is an underwhelming attempt to make your case.

I usually ignore the debate-by-way-of-copy-paste folk.

Quote:

It is not about territory.

Riiight. So occasionally they walk out of peace talks over 3% of the territor... oops I mean 3% of the "philosophical differences".

Quote:
It is about life and death.

As are all wars. This is a very underwhelming point.

Quote:
And the fence represents life for Israelis.

Funny you should mention it. The most significant opposition to the fence in Israel came from the religious right and settlers who thought it might represent an end to territorial expantion and a defacto final line.

Sorry, I did not mean to say "territorial expantion", I meant "more expansive philosophy". Laughing
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 07:02 am
Bravo Craven, I've truly enjoyed your posts
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 07:56 am
Hi Red,
I havent seen you in a while.Nice to know you are still alive and kicking.

Craven,
While I agree with most of what you are saying,would you clarify a few things for me?
While I absolutely agree that the fence is wrong,you seem to be saying that Israel must return all the land it occupies.Am I wrong in that assumption?
Would you have Israel return the Golan Heights,which it took from Syria AFTER syria attacked Israel?
I am not arguing with you,just asking for a clarification.
While I do agree that Israel must remove their settlements from occupied land,I do not believe that they should return ANY of the land they took after they were invaded by the Arab nations.
If that is the point you are making,let me know.Maybe I missed it.
Also,on a personal note,where in San Diego? Thats my home town.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 10:21 am
Good analysis Craven.

sometimes I think you are a bit too hard on these people, and sometimes: not Wink
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 10:24 am
Oh my God just realised "these people" will make me an anti semite, again.

So substitute "those lacking intellectual ability"...
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 10:42 am
hareega wrote:
When Jews are controlling the business in america, nobody would dare to criticize Israel. When Sharon killed 50 Palestenian civilians in one day, we heard Bush saying "Sharon is a man of peace". So no matter how much Israel is offending others and their lands, US politicians will never dare to crticize Israel. Kerry would simply lose the elections if he supported the the latest decision.

I know it does seem as if a little more people are beginning to speak up for the palestinians than they did just a few years ago or a year ago. It would be interesting to know why. I know I could speculate (habit of mine anyway) but it is odd.

As for me, at first when I first began reading about the whole Israel/Palestine issue I was afraid to side with Palestines openly out of fear of being called anti-semite. However the more I discussed it with people on the internet I started loosing that fear and starting saying how I felt. Before reading and talking about it on the internet about seven years ago, I must admit that I was basically ignorant and never gave the whole thing a thought one way or another. I don't think I ever even heard the world "Palestine" or thought of Israel as an actual country but just people from the Bible.

You know I think people are saying things that they haven't done before because of the extreme beliefs that are part of the bush administration and the right wing of the republican conservative party. However, if we were attacked tomorrow; we would forget all that and go back to saying that anyone that disagrees or is against us in some way is our enemy. In a way an attack would be best thing that would happen for the Bush administration. (not that i think they would welcome one, I don't think they are mosters yet)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 10:53 am
Craven gets the home run for knocking the ball out of the park. One of the best posts I've ever encountered on A2K.
0 Replies