The Trolls Don't Deserve to Be Read and Replied To

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 08:30 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I wish I realized earlier how easy it would be to quiet a pest by just agreeing with them.

I agree with you completely here, Glitterbag.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 09:14 am
@Frank Apisa,
Thank you, Frank.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 10:48 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I agree with you completely here, Glitterbag.

Ahh, Frank...never change ... Very Happy
0 Replies

Professor Gumbus

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 01:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
1.Why should people want to join this place if what they see is talk about "trolls"?

2. Ignoring trolls means not giving them attention, which certainly would have to include not starting threads to make them the star of everyone's focus.

3. HOW do you determine who is a troll? i.e., how do you distinguish the difference between unrestrained comedic bent and diarrhea of the mouth? How do you know whether someone is bipolar or just an asshole? How?

I used to hang out at Yahoo Answers (Polls & Surveys category)(they were a hysterical collective of life's natural comics, posting gag questions to illicit joke answers. GREAT FUN!!) But you see, Yahoo put A REPORT BUTTON everywhere. And for a moderator to complain to if you got unfairly reported, they just put a machine that automatically denies every appeal. RESULT? -> TROLL HEAVEN!!! Outcasts just slamming the button all day until perfectly innocent people's accounts get disabled. What fun, eh? What sick fun for folks who cant get along, to just sit and attack everyone instead.

That's what a "troll" was there.

Well, it grew a climate of fear and suspicion in which everyone suspected everyone else of "being a troll". And THIS in turn created MORE OUTCASTS who were feeling in a retributive mood, and so would push the button. (Yes, fear of trolls CREATED TROLLS!) it was awful. And all the good people left.

My first post here was just a hello basically (and not a particularly good one), and so half the respondents seemed unhappy with me. But I was just saying hi, in a way that might let me see if i'm likely to get the the able2know equivalent of a Yahoo Answers punch in the face for being irrelevant or insensitive- And, so, I'm new, and looking around, and seeing the "TROLL" word, and having been where I've been, it makes me want to flea! It certainly doesn't allay my initial feeling that I may as well come on immediately dick-ish, to "get it over with" (find out the quick way how tolerant or intolerant a community this may be).

I can be a funny, creative member of a place. Or I can vanish like a thought you cant remember. And it doesn't matter.

But I'd be careful adding to a community-wide belief that there's " a troll problem". It can be a self-fulfilling prophecy, it can even encourage those who might not otherwise have thought "oh, I could do THAT too!" All in all, Edgar, I think your point it quite right (pay no attention, it'll become less of a problem when starved of notice), but by having the need to discuss it openly, lol, well you see what I mean.

Paddy and the Pigs

Paddy and Paddy, two Irishmen, went out one day and each bought a pig.

When they got home, Paddy turned to Paddy and said, "Paddy, me ol' mate, how we gonna tell who owns which fookin pig?"

Paddy says "Well Paddy, I'll cut one a ta' ears off my fookin pig, and ten we can tell 'em apart"

"Ah tat'd be grand" says Paddy.

This worked fine until a couple of weeks later when Paddy stormed into the house.

"Paddy" he said "Your fookin pig has chewed the ear offa my fookin pig. Now we got two fookin pigs with only one ear each. How we gonna tell who owns which fookin pig?"

"Well Paddy" said Paddy "I'll cut ta other ear off my fookin pig. Ten we'll av two fookin pigs and only one of them will avan ear"

Again this worked fine until a couple of weeks later when Paddy again stormed into the house.

"Paddy" he said "Your fookin pig has chewed the other ear offa my fookin pig. Now we got two fookin pigs with no fookin ears!"

"How we gonna tell who owns which fookin pig?"

"Ah tis is serious, Paddy" said Paddy "I'll tell ya what I'll do. I'll cut ta tail offa my fookin pig, ten we'll av two fookin pigs with no fookin ears and only one fookin tail."

Another couple of weeks went by, and you guessed it, Paddy stormed into the house once more.

"PADDY!" shouted Paddy "YOUR FOOKIN PIG HAS CHEWED THE FOOKIN TAIL OFFA MY FOOKIN PIG AND NOW WE GOT TWO FOOKIN PIGS WITH NO FOOKIN EARS AND NO FOOKIN TAILS !! HOW ARE WE EVER GONNA FOOKIN TELL 'EM APART?!"

"Ah fook it!" says Paddy "How's about you have the black one, and I'll have the white one."

thack45

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 02:22 pm
@Professor Gumbus,
Your trolling game is weak son
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 02:36 pm
@Professor Gumbus,
Why would anyone want to be a flea?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 03:12 pm
@Professor Gumbus,
Welcome, Prof.

This place is just a load of fun!
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 04:18 pm
@Professor Gumbus,
Good points, funny joke. Welcome!
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 06:33 pm
I usually respond to the trolls by letting them know exactly what a complete moron they are then I put them on ignore and “Poof be gone” Cool
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 07:33 pm
@Professor Gumbus,
Our hamsters are very tolerant.
You can be a complete idiot if you wish.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 08:26 pm
@Professor Gumbus,
I'll say hi, plus what was your last username?

The troll thing is an internecine warfare with, unfortunately, some merit on several sides, depending on your posting history over years.

Courtesy has been lost.
Sometimes it shows up again.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 09:01 pm
@Professor Gumbus,
However, you started with a post and photo that can curdle some of our stomachs for its constructs.
You put a fellow with big health issues (see many thousand websites), probably a guy with a short life ahead, with lovely women and await angst.

You use that guy so you can be provocateur. Or to prove provocateurs have varied agendas.

Some of us are inured, but I suppose can still be surprised.

I think people who post the same thing a thousand times are trolls. You want me to find the line as a definition?

I'll refer you to my betters.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 09:12 pm
@ossobuco,
I take it all back - I had thought another person said all this ugly stuff to me, to whom I mentally apologize.

Here:

http://able2know.org/topic/284475-1#post-5987078
0 Replies

Professor Gumbus

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 11:01 pm
@ossobuco,
I want to apologize to you for the "cow ***t" remark. You had lashed out at me, and I lashed back. But I got what I should have expected. Anyway, I do regret it. ..The site however won't let me delete or edit that comment. (I don't know why. I'm new.). Anyway, I should have overlooked your terseness, because I invited it, so I must apologize to you.

As to the picture I posted, I can see no one here would have any reason to know this, but what I posted, to me, was like what we used to do at Yahoo Answers (Polls & Surveys category - where a collective of comics would daily post some gag questions to illicit joke responses. Was the picture I chose particularly funny? No. But it wasn't as offensive as some of the reactions would indicate either. You all just construed it as being a display of childish insensitivity, when really what I set out to do was to go a bit close to the line in order to invite the site's censors to hammer me with a demerit or suspension or whatever they do. I wanted to see what to expect here.

See, I don't know a thing about this place! I just know where I've been, and so what I was seeking here is--> we would post gag questions to illicit joke responses. And that's what I ultimately would liked to have found here.

But to finish one story at a time... Yahoo was constantly hammering us for simply doing what we were there for. It was a Q&A forum, and the category we chose to inhabit was Polls & Surveys, where you are expected to actually take legitimate polls and/or surveys, and so we were constantly in violation of the Terms of Service, by using it merely for joke-making, but when we'd ask Yahoo to provide an appropriate category for us where we WOULDN'T be breaking the rules just by existing, they wouldn't even answer us, because Yahoo's idea of moderating that site is to put report buttons everywhere and leave it unattended. So we did try to not be breaking rules all the time, but Yahoo would not even speak with us. Best we could come to, for survival, was we used to all keep a few "back up accounts" (lol), ie, we knew we'd get our account terminated at some point, because the violations add up and then all of a sudden wham. So we'd make three or four accounts, and that way we could just break out a new one when we got terminated.

MEANWHILE though, the troll problem (and they of course would get us terminated too). So it was a nightmare of dealing with getting your account damaged until it ultimately is destroyed. Damage came from trolls. But it also came from Yahoo.

Now, so I wanted to just post (remember the formula I told you:) "post a gag question to illicit a joke response", but I also wanted to push the line of taste a bit and invite an automated censor system to go off on me, so i could hasten finding out where the line is.

I don't have enough patience I suppose. I should have just taken the time to be furtive and invisible for a while here, till I found out how things actually go.

But...about YA..I had so many accounts that got killed. But it was such fun! I'd pick a character to be, and then go with it. So..I was many characters, one after another. An example would be "Manbearpig" - a 14' tall "half man/ half bear / half pig" (from a South Park episode, Al Gore's imagined monster he was going to save us from, lol) -who lives hiding in the woods "from a society that just doesn't understand"...yadda (I had a spiel on my profile). Great fun. Now this is a community, so I had friends there, and an audience basically..so it was IN CHARACTER for me to ask outrageous questions, like "Does anyone have a good recipe for dead hiker stew?" or "Is it ok to use baby ducks for slippers?" OR..."I ate some panfish from the stream and now my belly is all hurty! What should I do?" And of course, I was just doing my job, but Yahoo would give me demerits for these questions, and you can get a dozen or so safely, so it's worth risking one here and there, to have the fun we wanted to have, but...eventually the account goes poof, and now you have to start over as Dick Hurtz or Butthead or we had one guy who...just called himself Guido or something, but his avatar was a sheep with boots on all four feet, and he'd answer a question and then put *cries*, and I don't know why but that was hysterical. It really worked as comedic shtick. (Myself, I took to typing *blink blink* after asking a stupid question, and I got some love for that. Had a great time. But the automatic censor... uggh!!

Long explanation huh? Well I apologize for appearing insensitive about weight issues (although I'm not really a big fan of being politically correct, and actually I weigh 80 pounds more than I should myself, and I had a friend like the guy in that picture. *shrug* it didnt seem like a jab at fat folks tome. Just a startling image is all.

BUT obviously, without knowing the place, I started out badly because I didn't just take the time to be furtive and invisible for a while till I found out how things actually go here. I wanted a Q&A comics forum. (still don't know if maybe there is that to be done here...

Well I'm just gonna pretend things are normal now and never mention this again, and if people seem to hate me, well, whatever.. maybe I'll wander away anyway because I don't get along with people well. (I don't. I get sensitive. If you make a harsh remark (as you actually did) (understandably though, but..as you saw, I get dented and I lash back. And shame on me. 56 years old, you'd think I'd be better at this human thing by now.

Do you want to hear another joke?

mm
ok, but be warned, it's a bad joke:

(bad as in corny and tasteless)

A man was waiting for his wife to give birth. The doctor came and informed the dad that his son was born without a torso, arms, or legs. The son was just a head!
But the dad loved his son and raised him as well as he could. Eighteen years later, the son was old enough for his first drink. The dad took him to a bar, tearfully told him he was proud of him, and ordered the biggest, strongest drink for his boy. With all the bar patrons looking on curiously, the boy took his first sip of alcohol.

Swoooop! A torso popped out!

The bar was dead silent, then burst into a whoop of joy. The father, shocked, begged his son to drink again. The patrons chanted, "Take another drink! Take another drink!" The bartender shook his head in dismay.

Swoooop! Two arms popped out!

The bar went wild. The father, crying and wailing, begged his son to drink again. The patrons chanted, "Take another drink! Take another drink!" But the bartender ignored the whole affair.
By this time, the boy was getting tipsy. With his new hands, he reached down, grabbed the drink, and guzzled the last of it.

Swoooop! Two legs popped out.

The bar was in chaos. The father wept with joy. The boy stood up on his new legs. He stumbled to the left. He stumbled to the right. Then he stumbled through the front door and into the street, where a truck ran him over.
The bar fell silent. The father moaned with grief. The bartender merely sighed and said, "He should have quit while he was a head."

Professor Gumbus

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 12:07 am
@ossobuco,
I was Manbearpig

http://answers.yahoo.com/activity/questions?show=K3KCV7FWSOFNJWZ2ROZN4PUBHQ&t=g
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 12:16 am
@Professor Gumbus,
OK, PG, thats an old joke, prior to the arrival of computers, people actually went to clubs, private partys especially in the military or frat boys, would drink beer or whatever and the more they drank the funnier the jokes seemed.

I doubt there is a person here who hasn't heard both of the jokes you told, probably more times than days you've spent on this earth. I don't know anything about the Yahoo site, but the moderators here don't hand out demerits. You get less and less attention the more often you present pictures of a very overweight man being taunted by very slender girls laughing and pointing at him. That actually isn't a PC issue, what you posted was young women tormenting a man because he was fat, and apparently they thought it was entertainment to bully someone who was minding his own business until the bitchy broads decided to lighten their mood by tormenting a man. Did he look like he was having fun, did you see him smile????? He didn't, 3 or 4 young women could not resist making him feel foolish It was mean spirited and the girls are under the impression their looks and bodies will forever look like they do on the beach.

You didn't push the PC line, you crossed into the groan zone. See if you can find
carlos baron, he fancies himself a joke teller. also look for the bad joke thread, they are actually quite clever. Check the forum listing, there is a humour forum, and numerous threads that are very clever and some just fun and some inventive.

I don't think you will find a group that will embrace the poop, fat guys, fat women, or jokes about mentally infirm on A2K. Maybe if more people like you join, the moderators might create special categories for guys who can't get enough cow paddy jokes.

One other thing, ossobocco didn't lash out, if you think that was harsh, you'd better hang around a few sailors for a while, before you try something like your cowshit remark again.

Trust me kid, there are no shrinking violets here, most of us have raised childen, managed a work force, lead military units, my bet advice for you is to read along for a while and take the temperature.

Southpark ideas aren't something many of the members follow, and those who have find it mildly amusing every once in a while. Im pretty sure Ive never seen a SouthPark reference, there could be one, but most of the members have a far deeper well of comedy to draw on.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 02:56 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Southpark ideas aren't something many of the members follow, and those who have find it mildly amusing every once in a while. Im pretty sure Ive never seen a SouthPark reference, there could be one, but most of the members have a far deeper well of comedy to draw on.

Clearly you dont understand the genus of South Park,
izzythepush

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 03:18 am
@hawkeye10,
What genus would you classify it as? HomoUrsusSus?

Clearly you don't understand basic English.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 05:48 am
@Professor Gumbus,
Quote:
I want to apologize to you for the "cow ***t" remark. You had lashed out at me, and I lashed back. But I got what I should have expected. Anyway, I do regret it. ..The site however won't let me delete or edit that comment. (I don't know why. I'm new.). Anyway, I should have overlooked your terseness, because I invited it, so I must apologize to you.

Well done!

A few does and don'ts, if you want to stay:

Don't rant about yahoo or whatever other forum here. This one is different in many ways, and proud to be.

Don't expect much of a welcome, but don't over-react to the initial rejection you get. Quite a few a2kers of old react poorly to new members and gang up on them. I suppose they find it fun. This is perhaps the biggest problem of this forum. (I've been here for two years now; initially I got a lot of ganging on me; i fired back at them gangsters, so much so that I burnt quite a few bridges, some of which I now regret burning)

Do post your jokes on the "bad joke" thread, especially if longuish. That's where they belong. No need to mix topics. Threads are made for a reason: so that members can find the type of stuff they look for.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 11:31 am
Apisa is the one inspired this thread. You don't think he's a troll? Just look at him trash my thread, Another Day When There is no God, simply because he is annoyed with me.