Who should be Hillary's running mate?

Lash

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 06:07 pm
Obviously Donald Trump or Satan. I mean, they're both Hillary buds and have her on speed dial.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 10:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Maybe but he's tanned and rested.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2015 03:20 am
A lot of turbulence out there in the the primary campaigns in both political parties.

Lash's hopes appear to be materializing in the apparent ascendency of Bernie Sanders in recent polls. Hillary's unfolding troubles with respect to her e mail capers and the effects they portend on her public credibility (and even legal liability) suggest these issues wiull continue to grow despite the continuing assertions of her campaign staff that these are merely the stuff of politics.

Meanwhile the Trump train among Republicans continues to move, despite continuing and widespread claims it can't last, and the apparent disbelief of more conventional candidates.

What gives?? It all suggests continuing instability across the political spectrum, and possibly deep, unresolved issues of public concern in both camps. Many find it equally hard to believe that either Sanders or Trump will be able to continue their current ascendencies. That indeed may turn out be the case in the months ahead, but it is clear enough that both are tapping widespread dissatisfaction with conventional party politics.

Lots of time left for changes before the nationasl elections. What;s the Chiunese curse, ..."may you live in interesting times".
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2015 03:28 am
@georgeob1,
Something definitely is going on, George...

...but my observation of several days ago holds.

When all the votes are counted in November 2016...the American public will have returned over 90% of the incumbents running...to office.

And from what I read...that not only includes nationally...but locally as well!

The mentality seems to be: I am not making a mistake...everyone else out there is.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2015 03:43 am
@Frank Apisa,
Probably true, but in the Presidential election the incumbent prohibited from running. The field appears to be wide open.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2015 01:55 pm
@georgeob1,
Yup.

My remarks were directed toward whether or not the people really want change or not.
0 Replies

Banana Breath

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2015 09:55 pm
@georgeob1,
http://i60.tinypic.com/i516rr.jpg
Hillary does indeed seem more compatible with The Donald than "that other guy."
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2015 10:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Warren is my favorite politician. As VP candidate she might clash with Clinton on some issues. Can't have that.

We agree on Warren.
jcboy

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 06:54 pm
I read Hillary Clinton was hanging out with Kim and Kanye during the Republican debate. I really hope her celebrity endorsements improve in quality very quickly. I was like "Oh, come on Hillary gimme something I can work with."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 12:11 pm
@snood,
Bernie is the male version of Warren.
Blickers

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 07:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
Jim Webb. White male to counterbalance her being the first female candidate. Navy guy, strong defense credentials, very intelligent on defense matters. Probably too conservative for some Sanders supporters on some things but one look at whoever the Republicans choose, they'll get over it.
Lash

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 07:40 pm
@Blickers,
He's way too much of a laughable sideshow guy.

She would need liberal gravitas. Some young, sexy Dem. I don't think there is one...

Of course I'm completely speculating.

Gavin Newsome. Cory Booker?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 08:13 pm
http://www.towleroad.com/2015/11/hillary-clintons-running-mate/

I look at the offerings at different websites every month or so.

last month's suggestions by David Mixner (and how he got there)

I think that Rubio/Kasich would be the Republican's dream team for dinging the Democrat's regardless of their candidate.

Quote:
Three factors come into play.

If the Republicans nominate a ticket with Rubio (Florida) and Kasich (Ohio), it will be the Democrats’ worst nightmare. It means the mountain west becomes critical for victory. States like Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado and Iowa become essential to win.

There is a gender gap. Women do support Hillary overwhelming but just as dramatically white men oppose her. Finding a candidate that can cut into that opposition would be important.

We can assume it won’t be a woman or African-American since Clinton is extremely strong in both those constituencies.

Looking at those factors here is who I think will be prime contenders for Vice President.

Senator Martin Heinrich (D-NM, ): The Senator is strikingly handsome, intelligent, progressive, strong environmental credentials and speaks fluent Spanish. He’s also from the critical Rocky Mountain states. In addition, a fresh young face in a sea of older candidates.

Julian Castro: The Secretary of Housing and Urban Development is considered a leader for the nomination. Unfortunately for him by the time the general election rolls around the Hispanic vote might be firmly in the Democratic camp because of Republican xenophobia. The immigration issue will kill any hopes Republicans have in making inroads. If Rubio is the nominee then Castro chances dramatically increase.

Senator Tim Kaine (D-VA): He is on the list for one reason – Virginia. The Old Dominion State is a must carry for the Democrats almost under any count. Increasingly the state is going ‘blue’ but still will be another election night of ‘too close to call.’ Unfortunately Kaine is not the most charismatic person and really doesn’t bring much outside this one state.

Governor John Hickenlooper: The Colorado governor is a man almost anyone would enjoy ‘hanging out with.’ He has shown amazing courage and leadership on gun issues. His state over the last year has been hit with massive wildfires, gun massacres and floods. The Governor received high marks on all of them. He also brings great strength to the ticket for those critical Rocky Mountain states.

Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH): The Ohio Senator is a progressive hero and would greatly please the liberal wing of the Democratic Party if they are upset with a Hillary nomination. Being from Ohio he might be able to offset the possibility its governor might be on the Republican ticket.

Senator Mark Warner (D-VA): Another Virginia possibility who is a better campaigner and more centrist than Kaine. He has explored running for President and has the ambition. This would very much be a ‘Lloyd Bentsen’ type nomination.
Blickers

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 10:21 am
@ossobuco,
I would lean toward a white Christian male, since that's what all our Presidents were before Obama and being woman would still be viewed, at this date, as being a departure from the norm. How much longer that norm will last is questionable, but it still applies as of now.

One possiblity would be O'Malley, who was unknown until the debates and got almost no support but still gave some good answers, as far as I'm concerned. Plus, he's considerably younger than Hillary, who is a little bit older than optimum.

Going in the other direction agewise, Joe Biden seems to be pretty well liked nationwide, and is definitely a possibility despite his age. Plus, like Rabel said, he crushed WhatHisName in the VP debate last time.
snood

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 11:53 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Bernie is the male version of Warren.

I think Warren is more details driven and pragmatic. I find her more believable than Bernie.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 12:45 pm
@Blickers,
Has anyone mentioned that Hillary should team up with the Republican governor of Nevada, Brian Sandoval? He's a centrist and social moderate.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 12:56 pm
I like Hickenlooper, but can't quite picture him and Hillary Clinton in the same room. I'll work on it, if she wins the nomination.

Re Senator Martin Heinrich, D New Mexico, I voted for him, but don't read about him. Santa Fe New Mexican (Santa Fe the capital) is paywalled. The Albuquerque newspaper is pretty much re local business issues.
Hmmm, I see he does have an office here in Albuquerque, which I didn't know.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Heinrich
Also a hmmm, I should read Alibi (sort of a Village Voice type paper) more often, maybe they have some political news.

Will read more re Senator Sherrod Brown.

Edit, I should look at wiki more re Heinrich, as they tabulate what he's been up to.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 06:37 am
@ossobuco,
Pennsylvania is a good size state to eye electoral wise. Especially since it's not a solid blue state.

So Democratic Gov. John Hickenlooper is an actually good suggestion.
Blickers

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 08:50 am
@tsarstepan,
LOL, the Republicans keep saying Pennsylvania is not a solid blue state and keep spending the last days of their campaigns trying to get Pennsylvania, always to fail.

Don't know much about Hickenlooper, but the name itself has a Middle American charm, so that's a plus right there. Sort of like John Cougar changing his name back to Mellencamp as soon as he got big enough to do it.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 09:35 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I think that Rubio/Kasich would be the Republican's dream team for dinging the Democrat's regardless of their candidate.

I have been worried about a Rubio or even Cruz effect on Latino or Hispanic voters. I didn't know prior to the following article, but apparently the labels are different for a reason, I think. I think Latinos' are Puerto Ricans and Cubans and those who call themselves Hispanics are Mexicans'. The immigration system is different for the first groups than for Mexicans from what little I can tell. (woefully ignorant on the subject.)

Moreover, if Rubio or even Cruz manage to get those groups, then they run the risk of alienating anti-immigration groups of which is large percent of their base.

Rubio Or Cruz Could Help The GOP Win Over More Latino Voters

But they would risk losing white Republicans.

0 Replies