Passenger Plane Crashes in French Alps.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 01:26 pm
There is a more on Lubitz today, including an interview with his girlfriend and articles about his vision problem.

Here, re vision -
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/03/28/andreas_lubitz_germanwings_co_pilot_sought_treatment_for_vision_problems.html

UPDATE 3-Crash pilot was psychiatric patient, planned big gesture - paper
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/28/france-crash-idUSL6N0WU0C220150328
I'd read another article about that interview earlier this morning, probably somewhere on google news' links.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/psych-medicine-found-at-home-of-germanwings-copilot-20150328-1ma51z.html
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 01:30 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
The co-pilot suspected of deliberately crashing an airliner, killing 150 people, had told his girlfriend he was planning a spectacular gesture so "everyone will know my name", a German daily said on Saturday.

The Bild newspaper published an interview with a woman who said she had had a relationship in 2014 with Andreas Lubitz, the man French prosecutors believe locked himself alone in the cockpit of the Germanwings Airbus on Tuesday and steered it into the French Alps, killing all on board.

"When I heard about the crash, I remembered a sentence... he said: 'One day I'll do something that will change the system, and then everyone will know my name and remember it'," said the woman, a flight attendant the paper gave the pseudonym of Maria W.

"I didn't know what he meant by that at the time, but now it's obvious," she said.

Bullshit, pretty much every young man says that at some point or another, it is meaningless re the murders. But lets talk about that Audi he bought you right before he killed 149 people, when it is said that you two were on the road to breaking up or maybe already had.....
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 01:46 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I do know the difference, politicians use it to weasel out of promises all the time, just like you're using it to weasel out of admitting you were wrong.

You might consider consulting with a shrink about your fixation on trying to find me wrong about something. It is not normal.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 02:09 pm
@ossobuco,
... and you forgot to mention that he had been on holidays with his parents, as a child, close to where the plane came - over several times! He bought a new Audi just days ago, had ordered one for his girlfriend, a technical failure of the plane is still investigated, his local aero club is kind of twinned with the one in France, ... ... ...

Several memorial services had been here today and yesterday for the more than 50 deaths from our state, in their hometowns. (A central one will be held in mid-April at Cologne Cathedral)
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 02:25 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
.. and you forgot to mention that he had been on holidays with his parents, as a child, close to where the plane came - over several times! He bought a new Audi just days ago, had ordered one for his girlfriend, a technical failure of the plane is still investigated, his local aero club is kind of twinned with the one in France, ... ... ...
I read somewhere someone from the club saying that he had almost certainly been gliding in the area a couple of times. However, he had not been active in years.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 02:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'm not the one in denial, you're like a worm squirming on the hook. I think it's quite funny.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 02:47 pm
Quote:
The picture emerging of Lubitz is one of a man haunted, whose ambition to fly brought him both pleasure and torment. Authorities have found doctors’ sick notes stating he was unfit for work, including on the day of the crash. On Saturday, Germany’s Bild newspaper quoted an interview with a former girlfriend of Lubitz’s who described a man who suffered from vivid nightmares and delusions of grandeur.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/among-new-clues-about-co-pilot-reports-of-pressure-vision-problems/2015/03/28/2c1557fe-d4d0-11e4-8b1e-274d670aa9c9_story.html?hpid=z1

His version of him had him as an ace pilot, star athlete, beloved by his hometown and with a hot girlfriend. It appears that the pilot thing was not working out however , and there are conflicting accounts on if the girlfriend thing was working.

One thing I would like to see addressed is how it was possible for him to accumulate so few hours in the cockpit. It sure looks like he was having trouble showing up for work, which if true would account for him not being socially accepted at the airline, what with his delusions of greatness and all. "Tomato Andy" must have hurt.

Hired sep 13. had 630 hours which works out to 8.5 a week. This certainly needs to be looked into.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 02:50 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I didn't mention everything I read.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 03:02 pm
Quote:
Extrapolate that to a year, and you have 900 flight hours, 1800 duty hours and 3600 hours away from home. I would say this represents the average US domestic 121 pilot. Some do more, some do less, but this is pretty typical.

http://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/1807/what-is-common-number-of-flight-hours-a-year-for-commercial-pilot

Europeans get more time off but 630 hours in almost 1.5 years? Seems pretty low. Why?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 03:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Europeans get more time off but 630 hours in almost 1.5 years? Seems pretty low. Why?
That's average for Germanwings' first officers. (Lufthansa pilots do more hours, but are paid better.)
Why? Tariff and (EU-)regulation. (Short legs, long standing periods)
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 03:22 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
That's average for Germanwings' first officers.

Could be, but who says?

I think I see here that this guy was paying back 70,000 euros for his training, if he was not working as much as normal that could have been a problem. If he thought that he was going to lose his job that was certainly a problem.

http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/jobs/Germanwings
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 03:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
Pilots get paid monthly here, like any other employee, not per (flight-) hour.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 03:33 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
http://i60.tinypic.com/2i746kp.jpg

Quote:
http://i62.tinypic.com/33dy3ro.jpg
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 03:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I think I see here that this guy was paying back 70,000 euros for his training, if he was not working as much as normal that could have been a problem. If he thought that he was going to lose his job that was certainly a problem.

Yet he purchased two cars a few days before? Expensive ones at that...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 04:38 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Hawkeye just keeps digging.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 07:15 pm
Terrorist - one who uses violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.

I don't believe any threats or demands were made in this case. Hawkeye is simply trying to avoid falling off his ideological high horse, and landing right in the pile of **** he's been dribbling.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 07:32 pm
@Wilso,
terrorist: one who promotes violence and fear in the collective in the attempt to gets ones demands met.

If there is a effort on to kill people in planes then it must be terrorism, we simply dont know yet what the demands are or who is doing it. We are how ever starting to lose a lot of planes and a lot of lives in mysterious plane loses.

Coincidence or acts of terror?

My bet is terror, because terror is sweeping the planet, and because the odds of coincidence are starting to get long .

Quote:
Hawkeye is simply trying to avoid falling off his ideological high horse, and landing right in the pile of **** he's been dribbling.
Hawkeye is employing logic. The fact that neither you nor I like where it goes is neither here nor there.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 11:25 pm
Just as a reminder re the first officer's illness: all we know so far is that investigators have found a doctor's note that said he had been ill on the day of the tragic flight and another, older, torn up sick note, indicating that the co-pilot had possibly been hiding some sort of illness from his employers.

It looks likely that Lubitz had depression at one point.
But oversimplifying depression and generalizing all those suffering from a mental illness as dangerous doesn't help anyone ... aside from increased sales of certain newspapers.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 11:30 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
But oversimplifying depression and generalizing all those suffering from a mental illness as dangerous doesn't help anyone ... aside from increased sales of certain newspapers.

people who are depressed and/or people who kill themselves are not generally mass murderers.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 11:33 pm
From the New York Times, which is removed from any legal obligations of restricted reporting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/29/world/europe/pilot-andreas-lubitz-sought-treatment-for-vision-problems-before-germanwings-crash-authorities-say.html?_r=0

Quote:
DÜSSELDORF, Germany — Andreas Lubitz, who was flying the Germanwings jetliner that slammed into a mountain in the French Alps on Tuesday, sought treatment for vision problems that may have jeopardized his ability to continue working as a pilot, two officials with knowledge of the investigation said Saturday.

The revelation of the possible trouble with his eyes added a new element to the emerging portrait of the 27-year-old German pilot, who the authorities say was also being treated for psychological issues and had hidden aspects of his medical condition from his employer. The police found antidepressants during a search of his apartment here on Thursday, an official said Saturday.

It is not clear how severe his eye problems were or how they might have been related to his psychological condition. One person with knowledge of the investigation said the authorities had not ruled out the possibility that the vision problem could have been psychosomatic.