What's your dream car?

Leadfoot

Mon 25 Apr, 2016 06:39 pm
@farmerman,
You had to go back that far? That is a very cute face, but hardly a commodity car. If you want to talk exotics or limited production that's another story.
farmerman

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 03:55 am
@Leadfoot,

I beleive I answered your question as you asked. You asked for my choice at "prettiest car" , no fences implied . All these today supercars look like the same DNA is in all of em.
what the hell's a "commodity car"? A porsche RSK was the "racing VW of the 60's through the 80's)
I bought mine as a kit car with an AL body and a Porsche speedster engine (to which many "tricks" were done unto it). It was as good as those Ford GT kits (for its day).

I think I said that it was B production. That was incorrect it was actually C modified.
Leadfoot

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 04:33 am
@farmerman,
It was a few posts back but I originally posed the question as:
Quote:
Say what you will, but BMW has the prettiest face of all the commodity cars and that has been true for a couple of decades.
By 'commodity' I mean a mass produced car made on a production line, not hand built.

But that's OK, the RSK is a fine looking machine. I'm surprised you compared it to the later jelly beans. They look more like used soap bars to me.

Ever since tearing the body off a 57 Dodge and experiencing the amazing effect of dropping half a ton off the car I've been a fan of naked cars. I'd buy an Aerial Atom but they can't be legally imported (damn safety regs). So I'm making the closest thing to it by striping the stupid exotic car look plastic bits off a Polaris Slingshot and replacing the entire rear drive train (it's a reverse trike) with a limited slip differential, two wheels and a formula 1 style pushrod suspension. First drive is a week away if all goes well.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 28 Apr, 2016 01:30 pm
@oralloy,
Second choice dream car:

1971 Corvette, with the ZR2 handling package, with a 454 LS7 crate engine installed, keeping the original numbers-matching LS6 engine in storage for collectability purposes.

(Please no one tell my family that I'm not picking Fords.)

The term LS7 is a source of confusion today because there were two different LS7 engines on the drawing board back then. Originally the LS7 was to be the 454 version of the L88.

When all the high-end 454s were canceled by GM bureaucrats, Chevy then proposed the LS7 as a slightly-enhanced LS6. That almost made it into production in 1970, so there is a lot of information out there about its specs.

When the mediocre LS7 was also canceled, the LS7 was restored to being the 454 version of the L88, but it was sold only as a crate engine. No car could be ordered with the engine stock.

I'm of course wanting the LS7 that was an upsized L88, not the giant pile of meh that almost made it into the 1970 lineup.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 19 May, 2016 03:40 pm
Picked up the 23 T-Bucket Hotrod I've always wanted since Jr. High school days a few days ago. You can't really appreciate all the advances in automotive technology until you've driven something like this. It drives exactly like you would expect a 1923 Ford Model T with approximately 20 times the original horsepower to drive. It's barely controllable. The words of the Beach boys song 'Little Duce Coupe' kept playing in my head all the way home.
Quote:
I get pushed out of shape and it's hard to steer
When I get rubber in all four gears

Actually, it's hard to steer whether you're get'n rubber or not. But I love it anyway.
farmerman

Thu 19 May, 2016 05:49 pm
@Leadfoot,
rat rod or is it all pussied up?
farmerman

Thu 19 May, 2016 06:04 pm
@farmerman,
re; your views on bmw "pretty face". I think that when they started ******* with the BMW to try to make it look more aggressive, they failed. The little sports car looks pitiful and the other badges look a bit tired. Even the Porsches have taken on a "bigass " look. Too ba

The Audi R8, is, imho, the pprettiest production sports wagon made. (My SIL owns an r8 and , while its pretty, its always breaking.
The Audi R9 is a bit too far over the edge for my tastes.

I think the kids have the best ideas with their ass rockets. Theyll take a little VW, or a Yota and trick it out so that they can get around 320 hp per litr of displacement.
Muscle cars are a dinosaur of technology and most drivers of them are fat , fifty, and foolish. They challenge some kid in a totally tricked out toyota and get blown away by a 2.5 liter "economy 4"
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 19 May, 2016 06:19 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
rat rod or is it all pussied up?
Kinda on the pussied up side. Took the front fenders off and the naked wheels helped.
farmerman

Thu 19 May, 2016 07:00 pm
@Leadfoot,
I have a colleague with a 32 coupe that he totally fucked up by painting it a dark pink. It was for his wifes birthday. JEEz.
Leadfoot

Fri 20 May, 2016 08:15 am
@farmerman,
That's Horrible!

The 23 was abused almost as badly, a first class paint job but neon yellow. Oh well, I bought it just as a starting point anyway.

Fortunately authenticity was not part of my requirements. It has the body number tag from the original car riveted to the firewall but the steering box, steering column and windshield frame are the only remaining original parts.
farmerman

Fri 20 May, 2016 07:48 pm
@Leadfoot,
I was at Carmel a coule years ago when they had their annual car hop for "concours d Eleganz"
What a pile of iron. It was there just to show what a coupl,e hundred simpletons with money can achieve in petrifying old cars. The judges looked at everything from bolts UNDER the fenders to how much actual dust remained in the exhaust sytem.
Several dozen celebrities were there to be seen . I didnt even wait around for the prize announcements. At that time I had a restored 55 Studebaker President and I was thinking of showing. Not after that thing. These guys were worse than the horse dressage assholes. (My neighbor has a coule of teams of PWrcheron and Belgin draft horses and he only goes to pwerformance drills and national farm shows. He says the same thing about horsie and antique car biffs who want everything to match and be spotless.

Whats wrong with yellow?? Thats a great color for a rod. Ill see if I cant find this really neat shot of a bucket rat rod and a yellow one next to it. It was at a show in Reading Pa years ago and it was a lovely couple to behold
Leadfoot

Sat 21 May, 2016 08:19 am
@farmerman,
The classic car dealer where I picked up the 23 T was full of stuff like you find at those high end car shows. Info sheets listing matching engine numbers, six figure prices, etc. Only useful for getting into those shows, all bullshit, I agree. I was surprised to find something like the T-bucket there. It was the cheapest thing in the place.

If it were just yellow, like the rod in American Graffiti, I'd keep it. It's the Neon part (has a hint of green) that kills it. It is the exact color of the yellow/green in the safety vests worn by road workers. It screams.. Gotta change it but first order of business is a cruise control and seat belts.
Send that pix if you find it.
farmerman

Sat 21 May, 2016 09:04 am
@Leadfoot,
they actually have a rat rod paint. It makes a well prepared surface look like its got layers of rusted out pINT nd just the right amount of scratcxhwork.
I saw an old Crown Vic that was done up this way. The engin could have served as a chem lab table, it was that clean.
tsarstepan

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 01:13 pm
@farmerman,
2017 Acura NSX review: a gentler supercar
http://i65.tinypic.com/2na32hy.png
cicerone imposter

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 01:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have a 2006 Acura, and love it. My wife had her Honda detailed yesterday for $200, and it looks like a new car. I'm gonna have my car detailed soon.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 02:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
I hate those little LED strings. Makes a neat car look like it's sporting Christmas Lights, which really cheapens its look.
Leadfoot

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 02:46 pm
@farmerman,
You can mostly blame Audi for that trend. Doesn't do anything for me either. OTOH, Audi is becoming what BMW used to be in terms of being a driver's car.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 17 Sep, 2016 05:55 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
farmerman wrote:
I think drag racing is about the most imbecilic thing we do with cars, seconded only by NASCAR races where everyone just turns left.

How fast can you go in a quarter mile without blowin up? WHO CARES? Why not tie a rocket to its ass and see whether you can STOP.

It can be an interesting way of comparing different cars. Every fall a bunch of people with classic muscle cars come to the middle of Michigan and race them at a NHRA drag strip. It is interesting to see how some of the legendary muscle cars measure up against each other.

It's also interesting to watch people take extremely expensive antique cars and race them hard.

Said event was today. I was there (in the audience, not behind a steering wheel).

And.....

oralloy wrote:
Quote:
What's your dream car?

I'll probably be flayed if my family ever catches me picking a Chevy, but:

1969 Camaro ZL1, with a numbers matching ZL1 engine.

http://www.camaros.org/copo.shtml
http://www.camaros.org/9560list.shtml

Ideally one of the currently missing ones, just because it would be really cool if the missing ones still exist and get rediscovered.

I just saw two 1969 Camaro ZL1's race against each other!!!!
Leadfoot

Sun 18 Sep, 2016 09:01 pm
@oralloy,
Both have all number matching parts? Razz
oralloy

Sun 18 Sep, 2016 09:28 pm
@Leadfoot,
I don't know. I was in the stands. I got pictures though, which I intend to post when I get time.