Camry Engine Locked

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 08:25 pm
I was giving someone a jump start and heard a loud noise as a result engine was locked motor mount on top went through top of engine what would cause this and the car only has 128,000 miles
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 5,326 • Replies: 11
No top replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 08:37 pm
@jaesjones,
If the car in question is one of the ones with a timing belt and it had never been replaced, and if the engine is one of those whose valves don't clear when a timing belt breaks.....

List of Camry's and which use belts, and which chains:

http://toyota.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7690

Advocate

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 11:23 pm
@gungasnake,
You should expect this sort of thing. Do you remember when the accelerators were locking on open? That is worse than the motor locking.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 11:32 pm
@jaesjones,
I don't understand about "motor mount on top", but I can't think of a thing involved in jumping a battery that would lock the engine up. I'm guessing that 'locked' means the crankshaft won't turn.
gungasnake

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 04:53 am
@roger,
If the engine really had stopped because of a timing belt failure then trying to jump it easily could destroy the engine and lock it.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 10:03 am
@gungasnake,
I see that your pseudo-knowledge of science extends to automotive theory.

just about as successfully as it does evolution and cosmology...
Advocate

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 10:12 am
I just read today that GM knew for years that its Cobalt would sometime cut out while being driven, endangering the driver and passengers, and did not report the problem. They would fix the problem only when someone complained.

I think the company is now in big trouble over this.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 10:33 am
@Rockhead,
Quote:
I see that your pseudo-knowledge of science extends to automotive theory.

just about as successfully as it does evolution and cosmology...

Some Camrys have timing chains, others have belts. Apparently from the first Camrys using belts to some point, the belts (if/when they broke) broke destructively, i.e. valves went through piston tops. At some point they changed that and started making engines for which timing belts would break non-destructively.

What this case sounds like is a case of a timing belt breaking destructively; at least that's one possibility.

gungasnake

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 10:36 am
For cars with timing belts, ALWAYS change the timing belt at the recommended interval.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 10:36 am
@gungasnake,
one of many.

none of which would be directly caused by attempting to jump another vehicle.

not enough facts is never one of your deterrents, I understand...
gungasnake

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 11:09 am
@Rockhead,
Congratulations, you just made my ignore list.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 11:23 am
@gungasnake,
whatever helps you make it through the day...
0 Replies