Is 'colored people' offensive?

layman

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 09:12 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
That was all spin and no example or substance.

Just read the thread. I made one post quoting Carla Sims of the NAACP. She was of the opinion (as of 2006, anyway) that "colored" is neither derogatory nor offensive.

I made no editorial comment of any kind, yet within minutes the post was voted down to a "-2" (it appears others have since brought it back up to a neutral 1).

The posters expressing their displeasure simply did not want to hear anything that conflicted with their pronouncement that "colored" is inherently offensive.

Ms. Sims is presumably a black women, and, given her position with the NAACP, she appears to speak on behalf of the whole organization.

But did those posters who voted her statement down care about that at all? Apparently not.

My basic point here has been that the guy being vilified obviously did NOT intend to demean or degrade blacks in any way. And, beyond that, that each person is entitled to their own view on whether the term is offensive. But dictators will tolerate no "dissent" or disagreement. Their fiats must prevail, at whatever cost.

I can think of no other explanation for why they would get so upset about a difference in opinion.

I think it's fair to assume that most, if not all, of the posters here who undertake to pontificate about what blacks find offensive are themselves lily-white. Their pose strikes me as condescending and demeaning to blacks, and, of course, mainly self-aggrandizing in nature.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 11:09 pm
@layman,
In a word - BULLSHIT. Thats just another paint brush character assassination. And you have an exceedingly narrow and shallow view of Marcuse tailored specifically to support your view of "the" left (as if there is only "the" left). However if you'd like to know about a group that is a bigger concentration of assholes, racists, unwashed, uneducated and with missing teeth - check out the Tea Party.
layman

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 11:14 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
if you'd like to know about a group that is a bigger concentration of assholes, racists, unwashed, uneducated and with missing teeth - check out the Tea Party.

Thank you for the information.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 05:26 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Bob, I see the humane, progressive, tolerant ones in this thread have already voted this posts of yours up to a 4:

Quote:
if you'd like to know about a group that is a bigger concentration of assholes, racists, unwashed, uneducated and with missing teeth - check out the Tea Party.

Congratulations! Marcuse would be proud.

layman

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 06:59 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Layman:...some people around these here parts do seem to have a great problem if you don't agree with them. They will rapidly resort to insulting you.

Quote:
Bobsal: That was all spin and no example

EXAMPLE:

Quote:
Bobsal:...if you'd like to know about a group that is a bigger concentration of assholes, racists, unwashed, uneducated and with missing teeth - check out the Tea Party.

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 07:14 am
@layman,
What you do not know about Herbert Marcuse would be properly called his "biography". Look it up. As a lifelong Republican, Lutheran, as well a veteran and business owner, I believe in Capitalism and free markets.

I was voted up because I document my opinions, you were voted down because you toss them out like hand grenades only concerned with your 'point'. Try acting like you're in a conversation instead of telling us 'how it is' according to you.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 07:21 am
@layman,
So you are unwashed and dentally challenged and you want me to apologize?

OK. I am sorry you are unwashed and dentally challenged. If you feel insulted its because you pulled the insult onto yourself, which says a lot about you. Watch out: hawkeye10 is a dungeon master.

If you belong to the Tea Party, you asked for it.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 07:47 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
What you do not know about Herbert Marcuse would be properly called his "biography". Look it up.

OK....Hmm, says here:

Quote:
Celebrated as the "Father of the New Left,"...his Marxist scholarship inspired many radical intellectuals and political activists in the 1960s and 1970s, both in the U.S. and internationally....After Brandeis denied the renewal of his teaching contract in 1965, Marcuse devoted the rest of his life to teaching, writing and giving lectures around the world. His efforts brought him attention from the media, which claimed that he openly advocated violence...

...he advocates a form of tolerance that is intolerant of right wing political movements saying: "Liberating tolerance, then, would mean intolerance against movements from the Right and toleration of movements from the Left."

Way cool, eh?
layman

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 08:20 am
@layman,
It gets better, though:

Quote:
Marcuse called for a "polymorphous sexuality" involving "a transformation of the libido from sexuality constrained under genital supremacy to eroticization of the entire personality."

Quote:
Flynn put Marcuse's entire philosophy in a nutshell when he contended that Marcuse "preached that freedom is totalitarianism, democracy is dictatorship, education is indoctrination, violence is nonviolence, and fiction is truth." As this suggests, Marcuse was a genius at "granting positive connotations to negative practices." This trick reached the height of doublespeak when Marcuse preached that tolerance is actually intolerance, and visa verse..

Quote:
Tolerating what you like and censoring what you don't like, of course, had a name before Marcuse came along. It was called intolerance. Intolerance had an unpopular ring to it, so Marcuse called it by its more popular antonym, tolerance. This word was often modified by liberating, discriminating, and true. Further corruption of language came via his criticism of practitioners of free speech as "intolerant."

Quote:
In arguing for "the cancellation of the liberal creed of free and equal discussion" (from his essay "Repressive Tolerance"), Marcuse helped undermine the ancient university motto lux et veritas. Marcuse served stints at Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Brandeis, and the University of California at San Diego. In each of these institutions, he preached his gospel of nihilism, in which negative concepts and words were continually twisted into positives. Up until his death in 1979, he continued to convince people to "convert illusion into reality."

Source: "How Herbert Marcuse Convinced a Generation that Censorship Is Tolerance & Other Politically Correct Tricks." http://www.salvomag.com/new/articles/salvo20/herbert-marcuse-censorship-is-tolerance.php
layman

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 08:51 am
@layman,
Best of all:

Quote:
Marx argued against the exploitation of labor; Marcuse, against labor itself. Don't work, have sex. This was the simple message of Eros and Civilization, released in 1955. Its ideas proved to be extraordinarily popular among the fledgling hippie culture of the following decade. It provided a rationale for laziness and transformed degrading personal vices into virtues

6 years ago I quit my job so I could have sex 24/7. Best advice I ever got. Thanks, Herbert!
glitterbag

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 10:37 pm
@layman,
That's funny, you quit your job to have sex 24/7, your hands must be very calloused. Ouch

I attended a religious school for many years, I remember a class trip to Mt. Vernon when I was about 8. I was looking forward to the trip until the bus pulled into the parking lot and I saw a huge sign stating "whites only". I remember being panicked because we had non-white students, and I remember scanning the kids getting off the bus hoping like hell other small children would be barred from a national treasure. Apparently the nuns didn't subject the un- white students to the trip, but that doesn't make me feel better. My classmates were being shunned by freaping Virginia. I can assure you my parents would have keep me home then send me to a racist national treasure, they didn't know and I was too embarrassed to tell them.

And I only learned 4 years ago that the old Annapolis Hospital separated races and white patients were only treated by white docs and nurses. Apparently this happened in 1970 or earlier, The black patients were housed in a different section and their doctors and nurses were African American, the only medical professional who were allowed to touch dusky skin. And the rest of us (at least me) were oblivious that the hospital was segregated.

So is colored people ok, no only racists hope that that can be paired with niggra. I'm here to tell you no, it's not a nice way to refer to people.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 10:49 pm
@glitterbag,
Right on glitter!
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 12:41 am
@layman,
So I won't be pigeonholed, I speak as someone who refuses to support either party; so, in a way, I have no dog in this fight. I would have to violate my conscience to support either of the major political parties. I also don't believe in the anonymous thumbing up/down feature of this forum, which was designed for cowards and serves to discourage those from daring to disagree with the majority opinion in this forum, whatever it happens to be at any given time.

Are you saying that everyone on the left is either a Marxist or a Communist? Sorry to disillusion you, but that's absurd. That's as dumb as saying that every white conservative is a racist.

Speaking of intolerance towards opposing views, conservatives can be just as intolerant as anyone on the political left. By the way, ever hear of the John Birch Society? My sister once was blacklisted by those jerks.

The criticisms you make of liberals can also be made against conservatives. Political ideologues on both sides of the political spectrum believe they have an absolute monopoly on truth and morality. In their view, "they" are the good guys while all the people in the other party are the "bad" guys. In fact, their ideologies take the place of religion in their lives.

I have yet to hear of prominent conservatives or liberals admit that their side has ever been wrong about any issue. Self-examination is unknown in this country. There's too much arrogance.
wmwcjr

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 12:53 am
@glitterbag,
I'm very short on time, but I will say this: In Houston, Texas, in 1960 (when I was ten years old), a black Korean War veteran worked for my parents as a yardman. One day he was bitten by a cottonmouth in our backyard. He was denied treatment at the nearest clinic simply because he was black, despite the fact that he was a combat veteran who had put his life on the line for this country. (Today the Republican-majority State Board of Education has chosen history textbooks that present a whitewashed version of Jim Crow.) My mother had to drive him to a hospital on the other side of town, where he was not treated for an hour and was mocked by white interns. (Fortunately, he eventually received treatment.) When did the William Buckleys of this world ever object to this injustice?
layman

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 01:07 am
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
Political ideologues on both sides of the political spectrum believe they have an absolute monopoly on truth and morality.

I agree. The key word here being "ideologues." It brings to mind something Dave Hume said once:

“Disputes between men pertinaciously obstinate in their principles are the most irksome. The same blind adherence to their own arguments is to be expected in both; the same contempt of their antagonists; and the same passionate vehemence in enforcing sophistry and falsehood….and, as reasoning is not the source from whence either disputant derives his tenets, it is in vain to expect that any logic, which speaks not to the affections, will ever engage him to embrace sounder principles.”

The questions I'm trying to raise are not political issues. But the refusal to make any subject/object distinction is typical of the PC police. They want to objectify "offensiveness" and put it in the word(s) itself. Very presumptuous and self-promoting, in my view. Once again:

“Preaching is heady wine. It is intoxicating to tell someone just where they get off.”

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 01:41 am
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
When did the William Buckleys of this world ever object to this injustice?
After they lost the battle on civil rights why should I care? I dont need an apology from everyone who has ever been wrong, what I need is a strong arena of ideals and if I have that I am confident that right will win most of the time. I need the wrong ideas to be beat, and after one is beat such as the idea that blacks are not equal the thing to do is to move on to another wrong idea. I cant imagine why I would waste time trying to get some one to even not believe the failed idea much less to apologize for holding it after it had lost.
layman

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 03:43 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I need the wrong ideas to be beat, and after one is beat such as the idea that blacks are not equal the thing to do is to move on to another wrong idea.

This is essentially what Jason Whitlock, a black man, was saying a few years ago when Don Imus was subjected to an onslaught from all fronts over some "offensive" comments he made.

Whitlock believed the whole reaction was "horrible" and detrimental to the country as a whole. Among other things, he called Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson "terrorists" who, he said, were trying to drag black people back to the 1950's. Whitlock is by no mean "right wing."

The following link is to a 4-5 minute clip on youtube where he expresses his opinion on the matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5ZQXaXmCW4
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 08:24 am
@layman,
Sooooooooooo when we went to liberate Kuwait, we went with peace signs and kumbaiya.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 08:40 am
@wmwcjr,
Nice job!
layman

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 08:45 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Ever hear of "context"? Can you even spell it?

It must feel great to be as clever as you are, eh, Bob?