Is 'colored people' offensive?

layman

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 06:05 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
It is offensive "in my opinion"

OK, then, sorry, I did misread you the first time around, if that's what you're saying.

I have no problem whatsoever with people having their own opinion. Even if it differs from mine, of course.

On the other hand, some people around these here parts do seem to have a great problem if you don't agree with them. They will rapidly resort to insulting you.

Often they are the ones braying the loudest about "tolerance."

Go figure, eh?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 09:24 pm
@contrex,
I was trying to point out what it seems to say: that the problem the author has with "colored people" isn't with the term, its with the people. After hawkeyes "n-----" thread I am really jaundiced in my view of people from the US who claim some sort of naivety about racial terms.

I would be thrilled to be wrong at least this once.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 10:05 pm
@layman,
Quote:
On the other hand, some people around these here parts do seem to have a great problem if you don't agree with them. They will rapidly resort to insulting you.

Often they are the ones braying the loudest about "tolerance."

Go figure, eh?
Right on par with conservative preaching family values turning out to be some of the biggest pervs around. Both happen all the time.

For the record I have found those on the right to be much more tolerant than those on the left over the last 30 years.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 10:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
For the record I have found those on the right to be much more tolerant than those on the left over the last 30 years.

Delusion or illusion: either way you're wrong.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 11:03 pm
I was around ten when that was normal wordage.
I am fond in memory of my catholic grade school in Evanston (as opposed to later school), but if colored was offensive then, I didn't know about it.
I didn't know about a lot, though, just a watcher among mixed whites. I was spoiled then and didn't know it.

I don't remember any, any at all, stuff from my particular odd parents against anyone else, except that my mother was tetchie about protestants. Boston irish.

I just finished a book I'm still digesting, Blue Blood, and I saw in that some connection across all this stuff.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 11:26 pm
@layman,
Ok, I'm a tad late to read this thread, but just in case any negative thoughts linger, laymen, you are behaving like an apprentice jerk. Embrace it.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 11:36 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Ok, I'm a tad late to read this thread, but just in case any negative thoughts linger, laymen, you are behaving like an apprentice jerk. Embrace it.

Right, because THAT is what matters to so many twerps around here, not what is true and what is false.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 11:36 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

This is a joke, right?

Please tell me you were joking.

Nobody could be that much of a twat, could they?

Yes, I'm afraid so. Bigoted Americans think they are complementing British, French and Belgian non-Caucasians by doffing American American on those of color. Those folks think they are offering fake American hospitality on those unfortunate souls who cam into the world as non - white. Oh the horror, it's strictly an American state of shame.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 11:39 pm
@glitterbag,
what?
layman

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 11:42 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
...laymen, you are behaving like an apprentice jerk.

Thanks for the "input," glitter. So far, you are just demonstrating what I said about "insults."

Do you have any particular reason(s) why you want to say that? Is anything I've said "wrong?" Are any of the questions I've asked (without obtaining any rational--as opposed to emotional---answer) somehow improper?

Around here, the most frequent answer to any reasonable question seems to be: "I'm right. You're wrong, idiot. You're an idiot to even ask a question which doubts any pronouncement I have made."

Because this seems to be a standard answer, it becomes apparent that those preferring it don't even understand the question. There is no need for them to understand it.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 11:44 pm
@glitterbag,
Update, not all Americans are dumb as a box of rocks, sadly they tend to disappear because they have nothing worthwhile to say. But they show up here, the rat bastards.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 11:47 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
what?

Yeah, rather incomprehensible, eh? About I got out of it is that americans are bigots, and he is not. Again, typical.
layman

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 11:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:

I just finished a book I'm still digesting, Blue Blood, and I saw in that some connection across all this stuff.

Osso, do you care to elaborate? What is it in "Blue Blood" that you found relevant to this thread?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 11:58 pm
@layman,
Oh, all Americans are not bigots, you just talk like one. Congrats
0 Replies

fredanisen

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 05:58 am
I think this is a overblown question? Can someone please explain how?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 08:37 am
@hawkeye10,
Glitter is all about the truth and she's telling it here. You're very selective in your crusade.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 08:40 am
@layman,
Quote:

Around here, the most frequent answer to any reasonable question seems to be: "I'm right. You're wrong, idiot. You're an idiot to even ask a question which doubts any pronouncement I have made."

Because this seems to be a standard answer, it becomes apparent that those preferring it don't even understand the question. There is no need for them to understand it.

If I honestly felt that way, I'd leave.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 08:42 am
@layman,
You'd make a terrible witness. That was all spin and no example or substance.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 08:46 am
@fredanisen,
Think of the experiance of Turkish workers in Germany. Think of all the 'funny' and hateful thing they're called. Find one that your parents used to use for them in polite conversation. That would be the German equivalent of "colored people".
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 12:06 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
A dictator dictates. He doesn't respond to questions. He doesn't try to persuade. He doesn't try to "reason" with his subject. He dictates, that's it. And if immediate compliance is not forthcoming, you suffer the consequences.

Those who feel compelled to dictate how others should, must, and do evaluate things are no different than any other totalitarian dictator.

That's the whole idea behind "political correctness," a practice developed by the communist party in the 1920's and revived in this country among radicals in the 1960's, led by Herbert Marcuse, the so-called "father of the new left."

He wrote a treatise called "repressive tolerance" which was very influential among it's intended audience.

It essence, the theme was that the values and goals of the left had to be perpetuated by repressing all views seen as opposing those goals/values. Those views had to be "repressed" and NOT tolerated.

The whole modus operandi is nothing new, I'm afraid.

My way, or the highway, pal.