Rest in Peace, Ahmed

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2015 08:46 pm
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/09/europe/paris-charlie-hebdo-attack-jesuisahmed/

#JeSuisAhmed -- Tributes pour in for officer killed on street in Paris attack
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 26 • Views: 6,544 • Replies: 90

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2015 10:44 pm
@ossobuco,
Sorry this is thumbed a zero.

(CNN)Ahmed has joined Charlie in the social media tributes to victims of the Paris terrorist attack this week.

The hashtag #JeSuisCharlie -- "I am Charlie" -- became an international rallying point for people expressing solidarity with the victims of the slaughter carried out by gunmen at the offices of the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo on Wednesday.

But another hashtag, #JeSuisAhmed, has become a poignant way of honoring Ahmed Merabet, a 40-year-old police officer who was killed by the terrorists.

During the massacre at the Charlie Hebdo offices, the gunmen claimed that they were avenging the Prophet Mohammed by attacking a magazine that had repeatedly lampooned Islam and other religions.

But by killing Merabet, they took the life of a man who was reported to be a Muslim. Like the parents of the two main suspects in the attack, Merabet's mother and father are believed to have moved to Paris from North Africa.

'I died defending his right'

"I am not Charlie, I am Ahmed the dead cop. Charlie ridiculed my faith and culture and I died defending his right to do so," wrote the Twitter user Dyab Abou Jahjah.

Naturally, I don't know all about all this. Still, Ahmed gave his life.
http://i.guim.co.uk/static/w-620/h--/q-95/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2015/1/8/1420712532048/Ahmed-Merabet-010.jpg
Ahmed Merabet had worked as a policeman for eight years and had just qualified to become a detective. Photograph: Twitter
izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 04:31 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Sorry this is thumbed a zero.

Islamophobic bigots don't like it when facts get in the way of their lies.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 07:00 pm
@izzythepush,
I know, thus my pushing this.

(See how popular this is. Must be his name that does it..)
FBM

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 09:55 pm
@ossobuco,
It's a good thing to post this, I think. I'd be leery of anyone who complained about someone posting facts.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 10:06 pm
@FBM,
I'm also leery of seeing him as a political (etc) tool.

I'd just like him noticed.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 10:38 pm
Just another example of how out of touch with reality these Islamists are when they'd cold-bloodedly kill one of their own faith and still claim that it's a jihad against 'infidels.' Preposterous and disgusting arseholes.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 02:27 am
@Lustig Andrei,
They're no different from any other terrorists. During the troubles plenty of Republican Catholics were murdered by the IRA.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 03:12 am
@Lustig Andrei,
The video of the slaying of the cop laying on the ground looks completely bogus. A 7.65 round at point blank would splatter your head like a melon.
saab

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 03:21 am
This is tranlated from the liberal Danish paper Jyllandsposten - the one with the Muhammed drawings
I am both Ahmed and Charlie
I am both Ahmed, one of the killed policemen and Charlie and the 11 other from the last killings in Paris.
Then comes an interesting article

Personally I don´t think the terroists saw Ahmed as a Muslim, they saw him as a representative for the Western Culture - a policeman.
I am glad that also you have thought about Ahmed. He should not be forgotten either - just as the others - should be remembered.

Jeg er både Ahmed og Charlie
09. januar. 201558
Jeg er både Ahmed, den ene af de dræbte betjente, Charlie og de 11 andre fra de seneste drab i Paris.

FBM

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 03:22 am
@Builder,
I think that would depend a lot on the type of round used. Soft-point vs FMJ vs teflon coated, for example.
Builder

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 03:25 am
@FBM,
The weapon has been ID'd. There's conjecture that the gunman hit anything.

video here. WARNING; GRAPHIC
saab

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 03:25 am
@saab,
PS
I forgot to mention that the article is written by a Muslim journalist.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 03:26 am
@Builder,
The weapon isn't the issue. They type of round would make a big difference, regardless of calibre.

Edit: Having watched the vid now, I can list at least half a dozen reasons to say that it's fake.
Builder

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 03:29 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Edit: Having watched the vid now, I can list at least half a dozen reasons to say that it's fake.

Meaning the video is fake? What's your opinion of the ID being left in the getaway car? Who takes ID to an assassination?

Article here.
FBM

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 03:39 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Quote:

Meaning the video is fake? What's your opinion of the ID being left in the getaway car? Who takes ID to an assassination?

Article here.

Well, the video you linked to starts off with headlines saying something like, no blood + no recoil = fake. There's no splattering of blood, and the "victim's" reaction is not typical of a head shot, in which every muscle in the body goes limp in a split second.

The video doesn't show anything about ID left in a car. I have no information or opinion on that. I'm just talking about the video. I'm far from being an expert, though, except for having been a hunter for a few decades.
Builder

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 03:47 am
@FBM,
Oh, right. I've shot a few calibres over the years, and even a little 22 at that range would leave some blood. The dust kickup on the pavement either indicates a blow-through, or a blank round.

On the ID issue, I added a link, maybe after you read the post.
FBM

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 03:51 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Oh, right. I've shot a few calibres over the years, and even a little 22 at that range would leave some blood. The dust kickup on the pavement either indicates a blow-through, or a blank round.

Or a fake, or a miss. We're not talking about a little .22, after all.

Quote:
On the ID issue, I added a link, maybe after you read the post.

I'm only interested in the video, tbh.
Builder

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 04:04 am
@FBM,

Quote:
Or a fake, or a miss. We're not talking about a little .22, after all.

Yeah, I don't know what to make of it. The video keeps getting pulled from youtube, and even vimeo is locking it out.
0 Replies

Slugfoot

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 04:24 am
@FBM,
I can see what you mean about the absence of blood spatter in the vid. It's difficult to tell if the cop is wearing some type of headgear or not, though. I'm wondering if this could make a difference.
Another thing I'm wary about is the fact that the cop (if implicated in a conspiracy) would have to lie there playing dead while risking being discovered alive and uninjured by a well-meaning member of the public, etc.