Potty-Mouthed Princesses Drop F-Bombs for Feminism by FCKH8.com

Germlat

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 08:44 am
@Lordyaswas,
Not at all. I'm saying that we endoctrinate children into what we think is gender acceptable behavior. For example: can get dirty when they play...it's almost expected. This is discouraged in girls. Just the other day I was observing two young girls physically wrestling. The mom of one of the girls told them to stop. She said to them, "that is not ladylike ." I don't deny that our biological differences also influence children. That is why most girls enjoy playing with dolls.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 08:46 am
@maxdancona,
I've raised kids, and what you've said is nonsense.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 08:52 am
@Germlat,
Germlat,

All parents indoctrinate our children to live in our culture. This is important for both children to grow into healthy adults and for the society to function. Different cultures have different ideas, but every culture has defined gender roles.

Trying to ignore the biological differences and cultural norms between boys and girls seems ridiculous to me. In earlier cultures, from American Indian, to Asian to European cultures to our own past culture it would have been impossible to treat boys and girls the same.

Past cultures simply wouldn't have functioned. I don't think our culture would function now without defined gender roles that are passed down to our children. There should be discussions about how we want our culture to be more "fair" (however we define fair in our 21st century Western cultural context), but eliminating cultural norms is impossible.

I love irony, and the truth is there is no feminist that would truly suggest raising boys and girls the same.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 08:53 am
@Germlat,
OK, that'scwhy I asked, because it possibly inferred that the swearing element was acceptable for one gender and not the other, when in my opinion, serious swearing from any child is not acceptable in open conversation in public.
I knew all the swear words by the time I was about eight, but also knew when it was and was not acceptable to use them.
Germlat

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:08 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

OK, that'scwhy I asked, because it possibly inferred that the swearing element was acceptable for one gender and not the other, when in my opinion, serious swearing from any child is not acceptable in open conversation in public.
I knew all the swear words by the time I was about eight, but also knew when it was and was not acceptable to use them.

I agree.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:39 am
@maxdancona,
Obviously we indoctrinate children with our personal and societal values to promote successful infiltration into society. It is needed to function in our society and to understand the world around us. Boundaries can held us feel safe but they can also restrain our potential. It's important to examine our thinking, and our motives in order to discard maladaptive behaviors. Societies are constantly changing and so are our views. In the fifties most men didn't cook. Today, with so many women working full time jobs, it's not uncommon for men to cook from time to time...so should it not be ok to allow boys to have a kitchen play set , if they so desire? I think the best thing we can do for our children is teach them to think for themselves....to teach them to ask why.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 11:46 am
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

Obviously we indoctrinate children with our personal and societal values to promote successful infiltration into society. It is needed to function in our society and to understand the world around us. Boundaries can held us feel safe but they can also restrain our potential. It's important to examine our thinking, and our motives in order to discard maladaptive behaviors. Societies are constantly changing and so are our views. In the fifties most men didn't cook. Today, with so many women working full time jobs, it's not uncommon for men to cook from time to time...so should it not be ok to allow boys to have a kitchen play set , if they so desire? I think the best thing we can do for our children is teach them to think for themselves....to teach them to ask why.

Each family is different. There are probably things that my kids would question that your kids wouldn't dare even bring up for discussion (and vise versa). I'm sure there are families that wouldn't think of buying a cookset for their sons... that's called diversity

There is no one size fits all when it comes to parenting.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 12:35 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I'm sure there are families that wouldn't think of buying a cookset for their sons

I did it for my son, with whom we used to have the funniest 'cooking games' (mix up dirt and leaves and some water in a plate and then ask dad to eat his meal...) but he did not play much with it. He liked 'cooking' in the dirt better.

He will cook alright, can already do the pasta at 10.

This said, I tend to agree that some things are innate. Our boy was from a very early age fascinated by any vehicle: car, motorbike, train, plane, truck, bus, etc. Much more so than my daughter at the same age. And she could speak a solid one year before him... I know it's just two cases but they were enough to convince me.
Germlat

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 04:32 pm
@Olivier5,
Most girls like their baby dolls...I think it's biologically wired and cute.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 04:39 pm
@Germlat,
Beware ! What you say is not considered feminist.... We're supposed to be fully the product of our cultures, remember? :-)
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 04:42 pm
@Germlat,
Not mine! When I picked her up from Kindergarten and still in first and second grade, she was all dirty - her clothes, her face, her hands - gawd knows what she did during school hours. Once I had to pick her up because she was covered in mud and the teacher wouldn't allow her back into class. Tomboy all the way until she hit puberty. Today at 19 years, she's a girly girl. Go figure!
Germlat

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 04:53 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Not mine! When I picked her up from Kindergarten and still in first and second grade, she was all dirty - her clothes, her face, her hands - gawd knows what she did during school hours. Once I had to pick her up because she was covered in mud and the teacher wouldn't allow her back into class. Tomboy all the way until she hit puberty. Today at 19 years, she's a girly girl. Go figure!

Well...I think it's great to have that freedom. I commend you for not stripping that away fro her.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:00 pm
@Germlat,
On the contrary, Germlat, I encouraged it too! Our neighbor's girl was 6 years old and constantly applied nail polish and make-up. She looked like a mini grown up you see in these awful pageant shows and that's something I would not allow my daughter to do until she was way in her teens.
Germlat

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:04 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Beware ! What you say is not considered feminist.... We're supposed to be fully the product of our cultures, remember? :-)

Well ...we can't ignore biology can we?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:05 pm
@CalamityJane,
She's 19? Oh, my. I like her through knowing you, over the years. I've long thought of you as a wise mom.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:08 pm
@Germlat,
Quote:
we can't ignore biology can we?

Trust me, some people can ignore anything...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:15 pm
@Germlat,
I think you are too heavily weighing nurture over nature.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:16 pm
@maxdancona,
Absolutely. There is what you want it to be and there is what it is.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:18 pm
@Germlat,
You probably saw the last woman on earth to tell her daughter to be "lady-like." Was she 65 years old?
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:23 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

She's 19? Oh, my. I like her through knowing you, over the years. I've long thought of you as a wise mom.

Oh, thank you, osso, that's very sweet of you. Yes, can you believe it - she's an adult now (by age only) Smile Aiming to be a writer and screen writer, that's her passion.