Potty-Mouthed Princesses Drop F-Bombs for Feminism by FCKH8.com

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 09:15 am
@maxdancona,
Thank you, max! Smile

Let's face it, who is NOT judged by their looks? Everyone is these days, unless you happen to write at a2k where no one sees your face, but we're all judged by our words here which I consider part of the package deal (looks, personality etc. etc.)
chai2

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 09:16 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

As for the "Potty-Mouthed Princesses", what I don;t get is why are they dressed in these princesses dresses? And why is the boy in the end also dressed like that? Those dresses look very non-gender-neutral to me... Seems to contradict the message.

The costumes are portraying the way girls are being seen and portrayed by the public/media. We are all expected to want to be pretty, pampered looking/acting, with a mind full of fluff. We're not supposed to be bothered by the fact we're being treated unequally in so many arenas, just as long as we get to "look pretty".

As to the boy. As we all know, telling a boy "you're acting like a girl" is not a positive thing. Putting him in the dress is showing he's still a boy.

This isn't about gender neutrality, it's about gender equality.

maxdancona

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 09:47 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Let's face it, who is NOT judged by their looks? Everyone is these days, unless you happen to write at a2k where no one sees your face, but we're all judged by our words here which I consider part of the package deal (looks, personality etc. etc.)

Damn! I can't get a break anywhere.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 11:21 am
@chai2,
Quote:
telling a boy "you're acting like a girl" is not a positive thing

Thanks for the explanation. So they put girls in dresses which they think girls should not wear.... And they put a boy in a dress which they think girls should not wear, in order to show that it's okay to act like a girl should not act?

Maybe I am being dense but it does not sound like effective communication to me.

BTW, girls are sometimes told not to act like a boy too. Gender roles are enforced both ways.
hingehead

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 01:46 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
Let's face it, who is NOT judged by their looks? Everyone is these days

Maybe that's part of the appeal of the burqa.

Quote:
I consider part of the package deal (looks, personality etc. etc.)

The package deal for what? Are we talking life partners? Friends? Intelligent conversationalists? Strangers you'd help if they were in trouble? Not suggesting you're wrong just hoping people know that they do it and factor that bias into their decision making. I wonder if blind people make better choices than the sighted.

It's funny that you use 'everyone is these days', which is part of the point some are railing against re swearing.
chai2

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 01:48 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
telling a boy "you're acting like a girl" is not a positive thing

Thanks for the explanation. So they put girls in dresses which they think girls should not wear.... And they put a boy in a dress which they think girls should not wear, in order to show that it's okay to act like a girl should not act?

Maybe I am being dense but it does not sound like effective communication to me.

BTW, girls are sometimes told not to act like a boy too. Gender roles are enforced both ways.

Yes, you are being dense.
It's really not that hard.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 01:57 pm
@chai2,
I guess it's one of those things where men's minds are just too narrowly logical to get it... Anyway, public communication is evidently a difficult art. Thing can get misunderstood by us dense people.
chai2

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 02:54 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I guess it's one of those things where men's minds are just too narrowly logical to get it... Anyway, public communication is evidently a difficult art. Thing can get misunderstood by us dense people.

I didn't say a word about it being about men's minds.

You're just being dense.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 03:01 pm
@chai2,
I know... Unfortunately, public adds should talk to all people including us dense ones. That' why sometimes a nice idea makes for a bad add, because it's just too convoluted and it rises confusion rather than send a clear message. This seems to be one of these cases: the message is not well supported by the medium but rather, it is muddled by it.

I am all for reviewing and evolving gender roles, BTW, and I love little girls saying "****" so that's not an issue for me.
chai2

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 03:26 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I know... Unfortunately, public adds should talk to all people including us dense ones. That' why sometimes a nice idea makes for a bad add, because it's just too convoluted and it rises confusion rather than send a clear message.

In reality, this is the least convoluted ad as far as the questions of dress that I can think of. The message of why they are dressed one way and speaking speaking a certain way is simple enough to be understood by any child or adult.

I suspect you are being purposefully dense, for your own reasons, which I don't care about.

If this is too difficult for you, you need to take a break from some arduous thinking, and go take a nap.

Olivier5

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 03:32 pm
@chai2,
I didn't find the add particularly clear, honestly, though I liked it because those little girls do get your attention with their boiling energy and curse words. That's the right language to speak to men, if that was the idea, so no problem there.

Of course, you are welcome to assume the worse motives possible, as is usual around here.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 03:38 pm
@chai2,
I agree with Chai.

This ad is perfectly clear on its message. I also think the swearing is completely appropriate given the point they are trying to get across. The swearing is a non-issue.

My point is that this ad will turn off the people in the middle... who might be receptive to the softer side of feminism but don't like harsh messages. This ad confirms the general stereotype that feminism is angry and spiteful.

(Of course, I don't think this is a bad thing.)

chai2

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 05:09 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Of course, you are welcome to assume the worse motives possible, as is usual around here.

You're trying to make me say in the worst way (and I do mean in the worst way, you're doing it pretty badly) to get me to say something negative re men or your particular motives.

You're welcome to realize I just think you're being dense about this, and now what attention.

Ok, you got some attention.

Next case.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 05:46 pm
@chai2,
Apologies but my English is weak, especially in colloquial vocabulary and expressions. I need the sub-titles to understand most English-speaking movies. Also the cultural differences may explain my denseness (are these Halloween dresses?). Now that you explained, I get it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 05:49 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
I consider part of the package deal (looks, personality etc. etc.)

The package deal for what? Are we talking life partners? Friends? Intelligent conversationalists? Strangers you'd help if they were in trouble? Not suggesting you're wrong just hoping people know that they do it and factor that bias into their decision making. I wonder if blind people make better choices than the sighted.[/quote]

You just took that phrase out of context, but a package deal means all of us as a person - our words, our personality, our looks, our gestures, etc. is part of who we are and what we stand for.
hingehead

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 07:36 pm
@CalamityJane,
Sorry, but it raised some interesting issues for me - so thanks.

Because "our words, our personality, our looks, our gestures, etc. is part of who we are and what we stand for" actually only informs what other people think we are and what we stand for. I only think the first, and actions, really count.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 07:52 pm
@hingehead,
That's what you think Wink
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 07:06 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The swearing is a non-issue.

Well, maybe I spoke too fast on this. I'm came to be bothered with the sexually explicit language, not because of 'foul language' (**** that) but because of the sexual connotation. Mixing little girls and sexually explicit language in a public ad may send the wrong message: that there is no difference between little girls and adult women; that there is no taboo when it comes to little girls and ****... You get my drift.

Germlat

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 07:24 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
The swearing is a non-issue.

Well, maybe I spoke too fast on this. I'm came to be bothered with the sexually explicit language, not because of 'foul language' (**** that) but because of the sexual connotation. Mixing little girls and sexually explicit language in a public ad may send the wrong message: that there is no difference between little girls and adult women; that there is no taboo when it comes to little girls and ****... You get my drift.

This precocious behavior, tends to make people think the girls actually understand what they're saying and all the implications. Truth is they're incapable of it...particularly the six year-old.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 08:02 am
@Olivier5,
I didn't see any sexual connotation in that video. These girls were clearly swearing to express anger and defiance to what the writers of the ad see as a male dominated society.

I recently said "**** That!" to a proposed agreement that came through my ex-wife's lawyer. I wasn't proposing any sexual act take place between the lawyer, my ex-wife and/or pieces of paper comprising the legal document in question.. the image of said sexual act never even entered my mind (until I read your post).

I was merely expressing my profound disbelief at what m ex-wife was proposing and anger at how she is dragging this out.

Swearing is often used to express extreme emotions from "Hell yeah!!!" to "Screw yourself and the horse you rode in on.". These expressions aren't sexual at all.