Fergusonj shooting, autopsy in, all shots from front

Thomas

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 05:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Has the gun used been identified ?

Not that I know of, but I don't think the precise model makes a difference to the point I made. Any model that police officers are likely to carry can fire six rounds before the person they shoot can move very far.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 05:42 pm

3 Guns Used by 13 Year Old Girl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmfQ7PMPxec
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 05:52 pm
@Thomas,

OmSigDAVID wrote:
Has the gun used been identified ?

Thomas wrote:
Not that I know of, but I don't think the precise model makes a difference to the point I made. Any model that police officers are likely to carry can fire six rounds before the person they shoot can move very far.
AGREED.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 06:26 pm
Here's a little thing on the "orbital fracture" that Wilson supposedly suffered....

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/43751_Jim_Hofts_Unsourced_Claim_That_Officer_Darren_Wilson_Had_an_Orbital_Blowout_Fracture_of_the_Eye_Socket
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 07:05 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

An officer is trained to shoot to kill...(aim at the body mass)...IF shooting is necessary.

To shoot as often as the officer did at Brown...SEEMS excessive to me...

If the use of deadly force isn't justified, even one shot is excessive.

The officer who shot Brown was not aiming to kill with his first few shots, he shot him in the arm. The fatal shot was one fired at the head. At no time did he aim at Brown's body mass.

What transpired before any shots were fired is not at all clear. I've listened to alleged eyewitnesses who contradict each other, and in some cases contradict themselves, as they give different interviews.

What's needed in this situation now is more calm and patience. While I can certainly understand the anger and outrage that erupted in the wake of this shooting, a good deal of which was related to pent-up long-standing grievances, emotion should now give way to the methodical legal process of thoroughly investigating this death, and that investigation should be unhurried and unbiased. Hopefully, Eric Holder's visit to Ferguson yesterday will help to bring that about, since his presence alone was an indication of how seriously the situation is regarded.

The official autopsy by the county coroner is still awaiting toxicology results and it has yet to be released, there have been no official documents or reports confirming whether or not the police officer sustained injuries from Brown, results of forensic tests on Brown's clothing, and on the officer's clothing and gun, have yet to be made known, and witnesses continue to come forward, so the evidence is nowhere complete enough for anyone to jump to conclusions yet.

Simply because the victim was unarmed doesn't mean the officer didn't have reason to fear for his life, if he was physically assaulted by someone who was 6' 4 and just slightly under 300 pounds, who was reaching for his gun.

Even a possible indictment is going to take time--the Grand Jury in that area only meets once a week. They are predicting it may take until October for a decision to be reached.

I think the media needs to back off from their constant extensive coverage in Ferguson because their presence encourages the continued disruption of normal life because all parties start behaving and performing for the cameras. In that way, the media contributes to creating a situation and not just reporting on it. Meanwhile, children can't attend school, businesses can't open or repair damage, etc..

It's going to take time for all the evidence to emerge, and for the legal process to take its course. Patience is needed.

firefly

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 08:56 pm
Michael Brown's autopsy: What it can (and can't) tell us
By Stephanie Pappas
Livescience.com
August 21, 2014
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/michael-browns-autopsy-what-it-can-and-cant-tell-us/
RABEL222

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 09:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
In my area we have one newspaper which is a Fax clone. Takes me about 5 min to read it. Some of the news comes from TV, not fax news. Most of the news I get comes from my computer which I have to take with a grain of salt what with people having a tendency to spout their opinions so I wade through a lot of it and put my trust in very few so called reporters. Its hard to get real facts I can trust.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 09:12 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Its hard to get real facts I can trust.

You mean it is impossible. As your posts show.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 09:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Jaywalking? Most of what you said has merit except the jaywalking bit. Even the kid with him said they were walking down the middle of the street. How about practicing that honesty you preach so often.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 09:26 pm
@Thomas,
Wake up Thomas! This is the U S of John Wayne. All the kids have been brainwashed into thinking their superman.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 03:34 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Michael Brown's autopsy: What it can (and can't) tell us
By Stephanie Pappas
Livescience.com
August 21, 2014
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/michael-browns-autopsy-what-it-can-and-cant-tell-us/
Where 's the autopsy ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 03:40 am

If an assailant of 6' 4" and c.3OO pounds had fx your eyesocket
and was charging at u again, I can see Y anyone woud not wanna let him approach,
out of concern for his well-being.

David
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 04:55 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:

An officer is trained to shoot to kill...(aim at the body mass)...IF shooting is necessary.

To shoot as often as the officer did at Brown...SEEMS excessive to me...

If the use of deadly force isn't justified, even one shot is excessive.

The officer who shot Brown was not aiming to kill with his first few shots, he shot him in the arm. The fatal shot was one fired at the head. At no time did he aim at Brown's body mass.

How could you possibly know that? We have no idea of where the officer was aiming...nor how accurate he was as a marksman.

Quote:
What transpired before any shots were fired is not at all clear. I've listened to alleged eyewitnesses who contradict each other, and in some cases contradict themselves, as they give different interviews.

Correct. I have never disputed that. And that does not negate my contention that to me it seems six shots in the young man seem excessive. At some point after the investigation, we should know more.

Quote:
What's needed in this situation now is more calm and patience. While I can certainly understand the anger and outrage that erupted in the wake of this shooting, a good deal of which was related to pent-up long-standing grievances, emotion should now give way to the methodical legal process of thoroughly investigating this death, and that investigation should be unhurried and unbiased. Hopefully, Eric Holder's visit to Ferguson yesterday will help to bring that about, since his presence alone was an indication of how seriously the situation is regarded.

I agree with that.

Quote:
The official autopsy by the county coroner is still awaiting toxicology results and it has yet to be released, there have been no official documents or reports confirming whether or not the police officer sustained injuries from Brown, results of forensic tests on Brown's clothing, and on the officer's clothing and gun, have yet to be made known, and witnesses continue to come forward, so the evidence is nowhere complete enough for anyone to jump to conclusions yet.

Nor would I do so.

Quote:
Simply because the victim was unarmed doesn't mean the officer didn't have reason to fear for his life, if he was physically assaulted by someone who was 6' 4 and just slightly under 300 pounds, who was reaching for his gun.

You do not know all that for sure. As you mentioned, the investigation has not been completed.

Quote:
Even a possible indictment is going to take time--the Grand Jury in that area only meets once a week. They are predicting it may take until October for a decision to be reached.

Whenever it happens...it will happen.

Quote:
I think the media needs to back off from their constant extensive coverage in Ferguson because their presence encourages the continued disruption of normal life because all parties start behaving and performing for the cameras. In that way, the media contributes to creating a situation and not just reporting on it. Meanwhile, children can't attend school, businesses can't open or repair damage, etc..

It's going to take time for all the evidence to emerge, and for the legal process to take its course. Patience is needed.

Okay.

But I wouldn't count on CNN or FoxNEWS to ease off any time soon...unless something "better" (from their point of view) comes along.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 04:57 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

In my area we have one newspaper which is a Fax clone. Takes me about 5 min to read it. Some of the news comes from TV, not fax news. Most of the news I get comes from my computer which I have to take with a grain of salt what with people having a tendency to spout their opinions so I wade through a lot of it and put my trust in very few so called reporters. Its hard to get real facts I can trust.

I've got the same problem, Rabel. If truth be told, we probably all do.

PBS's NEWS HOUR still seems to cover most important stories in depth...and with a reasonable amount of impartiality.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 05:03 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Jaywalking? Most of what you said has merit except the jaywalking bit. Even the kid with him said they were walking down the middle of the street. How about practicing that honesty you preach so often.

You have a point, Rabel, and if the term "jaywalking" is upsetting and seems superficial or prejudicial...disregard it. I used it because many of the descriptions being used by people with whom I am in discussion are using upsetting, superficial, prejudicial terms in their entries.

The two young men were walking down the street...in disregard of traffic laws.

That does not change my mind about the six bullets seeming to be excessive.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 05:13 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

The victim (i.e., the guy with the fx eyesocket)
was logically and legally justified in ending the threat.

If he had continued gunfire into the threat AFTER it was over,
(e.g., if the threat were lying dead in the street), then I 'd agree
that it seems excessive and wasteful.

As a practical matter, chances r that the entire event
of charging at the victim (with defensive gunfire) took less than a second
and the defensive gunshots were probably discharged in a volley.

It 'd be no surprize (human emotions being what we know them to be),
if the victim fully exhausted his ammunition in that magazine within a fraction of a second.

David
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 05:19 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

The victim (i.e., the guy with the fx eyesocket)
was logically and legally justified in ending the threat.

Who was that? The only guy we know for sure had something wrong with his eye...was Brown. He had a bullet put through his eye...apparently the fifth hit in a six hit volley.

Quote:
If he had continued gunfire into the threat AFTER it was over,
(e.g., if the threat were lying dead in the street), then I 'd agree
that it seems excessive and wasteful.

As a practical matter, chances r that the entire event
of charging at the victim (with defensive gunfire) took less than a second
and the defensive gunshots were probably discharged in a volley.

It 'd be no surprize (human emotions being what we know them to be),
if the victim fully exhausted his ammunition in that magazine within a fraction of a second.

David

I most likely would no longer be "surprised" by anything here in A2K, David.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 05:21 am
@Frank Apisa,
That is humorous; and poetic justice.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 05:23 am
@Frank Apisa,
The world is a safer place without Big, Bad, Michael Brown.
parados

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 07:19 am
@RABEL222,
Walking down the middle of the street is jaywalking.

Quote:
jay·walk
ˈjāˌwôk/
verb
North American
gerund or present participle: jaywalking

cross or walk in the street or road unlawfully or without regard for approaching traffic.