Why is Obama such a coward with Israel?

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 08:30 am
In order for the bloodshed in Gaza to stop, both sides need to feel the pressure to stop this barbaric war that is ruining lives and killing children. Instead both sides are feeling encouraged to continue the brutality, and it is the Obama administration that is adding fuel to the fire.

Providing unquestioned support for anything Israel does, justifying even the bombing of hospitals and killing refugees, means that Israel feels no pressure to stop. The US is even paying Israel for continuing this bloody war and recently gave Israel more rockets and mortar shells (since apparently they were running out of them).

Of course, as long as Israel keeps their brutal action... along with the resulting effect of children dying and civilian neighborhoods being leveled... than Hamas feels justified and has continued support. If someone were killing your children and bombing your homes, you would support the resistance too.

The US could stop this war and end this bloodshed. It is simple... we can just pull out. We could stop sending money. We could stop giving bombs. We could refuse to participate until both sides decide to solve this diplomatically.

If the US just stopped being part of this war, the pressure on both sides would dramatically increase until they would both be forced to the table.

I don't see this happening. Obama, Peace Prize and all, seems to be too much of a coward to truly work for peace. Sadly, the US is a combatant in this conflict and we have lost any moral authority or ability to act as a peacemaker.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 15 • Views: 8,058 • Replies: 106

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 08:34 am
@maxdancona,
Why have ALL US Presidents been afraid of Israel and the Israel lobby?
Miller

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 09:04 am
American Jews have contributed millions of dollars ( maybe even in the billions) toward the election and re-election of President Obama. Since most American Jews voted for President Obama during the above mentioned elections, and most American Jews support Israel ( both in heart and purse), it makes good sense that President Obama also supports Israel in each and every way that he can.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 09:12 am
@Miller,
That is the definition of moral cowardice.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 09:31 am
@maxdancona,
If he was able to run for re-election, it would also be the pragmatic answer.

Since he's got nothing to lose, you'd think he'd finally step up.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 09:37 am
If Obama favors Israel over the Palestinians, he may not feel a need to be more decisive in stopping it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 09:38 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Why have ALL US Presidents been afraid of Israel and the Israel lobby?

Jimmy Carter was not afraid to try.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 09:48 am
@ehBeth,
That's my thought.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 09:49 am
@edgarblythe,
Even W tried in his last months. Too little, too late.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 09:55 am
I don't fully understand why Israel is able to continually do as it wishes, like a spoiled child really. It's more than clear by flipping through stories on the web that Israel is the "bad guy". I also don't understand why, in all those stories, there are no calls for Palestine to reel in Hammas. Cornfusing
maxdancona

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 09:59 am
@thack45,
You can be shocked and horrified by the results of Israel's necessary and brutal military action without supporting Hamas.

Hamas is committing war crimes. That doesn't excuse Israel's actions.

The big difference for me is that the US isn't giving weapons to Hamas (I would be just as horrified if we were).

So here. I call on the Palestinians to reign in Hamas. I call on Israel to reign in Netanyahu. And I call on Obama to stop supporting either one of them until they stop killing.
thack45

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 10:28 am
@maxdancona,
I assume you think my post was tinged with some sort of pro-Israeli agenda. Nerp, not excusing anyone. And I assure you that as horrifying as things may be in Gaza, I am not even a little shocked.

And incidentally, speaking of "like a spoiled child"... I haven't logged in to a2k much lately, but I notice quite an uptick in the usage of the thumbs down feature. Use your words, children
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 10:47 am
@Miller,
Quote:
makes good sense that President Obama also supports Israel in each and every way that he can.

Beside the fact that it made good moral sense to support them from terrorists attacks.
BillRM

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 10:50 am
@thack45,
Quote:
I don't fully understand why Israel is able to continually do as it wishes

You mean protecting it own citizens in the same manner the US would if there was rockets with 600 hundreds pounds warheads being fired over our borders from either Mexico or Canada?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 10:56 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
either one of them until they stop killing.

It black and white stopping the missiles will within minutes stop Israel attacks.

In fact I had lost count of how many times Israel had stopped it attacks only to have more missile attacks on them.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 11:30 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The big difference for me is that the US isn't giving weapons to Hamas (I would be just as horrified if we were).

Hamas has already been branded a terrorist organisation, and has is Western bank accounts frozen, and is subject to all measure of sanctions.

Israel enjoys favoured nation status when dealing with the EU, and received US$3.1 billion in Military aid from Washington last year alone.

Imagine that $3.1 billion going into healthcare instead.

When Hamas was first formed, Israel was a generous donor in order to weaken Fatah, divide and rule principle.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 11:43 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
In order for the bloodshed in Gaza to stop, both sides need to feel the pressure to stop this barbaric war that is ruining lives and killing children.

As soon as the Palestinians end their aggression against Israel, Israel will automatically end their defense against that aggression.

Until the Palestinians end their aggression against Israel, nothing will make Israel end their defense against that aggression.

maxdancona wrote:
Instead both sides are feeling encouraged to continue the brutality, and it is the Obama administration that is adding fuel to the fire.

The Obama Administration is not responsible for the fact that Palestinians refuse to ever make peace.

maxdancona wrote:
The US is even paying Israel for continuing this bloody war and recently gave Israel more rockets and mortar shells (since apparently they were running out of them).

We are proud and happy to have done so.

maxdancona wrote:
The US could stop this war and end this bloodshed. It is simple... we can just pull out. We could stop sending money. We could stop giving bombs. We could refuse to participate until both sides decide to solve this diplomatically.

That would make the bloodshed even worse.

The Palestinians would not halt their aggression against Israel if we did that. And without our aid, Israel would be forced to be much more ruthless in their self defense.

maxdancona wrote:
If the US just stopped being part of this war, the pressure on both sides would dramatically increase until they would both be forced to the table.

The only people here who refuse to make peace are the Palestinians.

If the US withdrew aid to Israel, it would do nothing to pressure the Palestinians to make peace.

Most likely it would make the Palestinians even less willing to make peace.

maxdancona wrote:
I don't see this happening. Obama, Peace Prize and all, seems to be too much of a coward to truly work for peace.

Nonsense. Mr. Obama went to unimaginable lengths to make peace. It isn't his fault that the Palestinians refuse to make peace.

maxdancona wrote:
Sadly, the US is a combatant in this conflict and we have lost any moral authority or ability to act as a peacemaker.

That's OK. The time for peacemaking is over anyway.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 11:45 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Since he's got nothing to lose, you'd think he'd finally step up.

Mr. Obama has gone to great lengths to bring peace to the region. It's not his fault that the Palestinians refuse to ever make peace.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 11:47 am
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:
I don't fully understand why Israel is able to continually do as it wishes,

Jews have the same right to defend themselves that everyone else does.

thack45 wrote:
like a spoiled child really.

When Jews defend themselves from people who attack them, that is hardly acting like a spoiled child.

thack45 wrote:
It's more than clear by flipping through stories on the web that Israel is the "bad guy".

When Jews defend themselves from people who attack them, that hardly makes them the bad guys.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 11:48 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Jews don't need an excuse for defending themselves. They have the same rights that everyone else has.
0 Replies