Negro Crossing Sign

doglover

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 04:55 pm
Cutting a SBD <silent but deadly> in an exclusive restuarant can be fun.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:45 pm
So I am irish and am visually really really challenged, hanging in. I remember cringing back there on this thread re blind, and so did Eoe at some point. I think this is a tad at the edge, but why (tap, tap, thinking... and of course, tap tap is in itself evocative.) Mostly I have thought it funny as in, yes I can see, ha, that interpretation of signs, and the riffs and fifths off of them and start to go with more in my own mind. Well, this reminds me of the boar crossing sign I photo'd.

But I also see the un-association the riffer has.

I am not saying I want to stop it. Let me not get into political correctness swirls. I am just saying I agree with looking at these kinds of riffs with many eyes.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:49 pm
Osso, that is exactly what I was going to say.

(Great minds and all that stuff.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:58 pm
SCoates, if this thread doesn't make you smile, I don't know what would.....
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 08:04 pm
Well, it made my feelings hurt when some people (here unnamed) implied it was inappropriate.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 08:14 pm
Not inappropriate. Riff away.

By your riffs I will know you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 08:17 pm
Gus, if you understand me, tell me what you know, she says
smiling.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 08:36 pm
SCoates wrote:
Well, it made my feelings hurt when some people (here unnamed) implied it was inappropriate.

In case I merely implied it I want to take the opportunity to allege it outright: I think it's more than inappropriate. This is the nicest thing I could say about it and is a tremendous understatement.

But take solace in that many here seem to share your particular brand of humor (Cav doesn't count, he thinks anything is funny).
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 08:46 pm
Even Craven seems to think it might be inappropriate. You always have to read between the lines with him.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 08:47 pm
I think that scoates posts have a piquance and self-balance (valence? humor) that is very useful in jerking a lot of us into selfawareness. At the same time, a certain running over occurs that highlights not the persons run over (black, blind, etc.) but the runner, as that while we are Different, the runnerover may not end up the valued one.

I don't blame anybody but yell for some occasional thoughtfulness.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 08:52 pm
SCoates wrote:
Even Craven seems to think it might be inappropriate. You always have to read between the lines with him.

Subtlety, a feekin' art.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 08:52 pm
Yeah, my inappropriate humor must have been intended as some sort of lesson to everyone.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 08:55 pm
SCoates wrote:
Yeah, my inappropriate humor must have been intended as some sort of lesson to everyone.

Yeah, learning.... that's the ticket!

Anywho, for every person who sez it's innapropriate I bet there are 10 here who think the concerns are just "political correctness" or somesuch. Tis subjective and all.

Actually, probably way more than 10. Humor is teflon.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:01 pm
I realize this may be offensive, but I am serious. It seems to me that when people are offended by political correctness, they are the ones with the problem. So help me, that's the way I feel. If, for example, I had offended anyone who was actually a negro I would feel bad, but that is completely different to me, and I don't think they would find it offensive anyway.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:04 pm
SCoates, so, does that theory on PCness hold true if you apply it to homosexuality and homophobia? It was you who I had that conversation with, no?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:05 pm
If someone is rude to you, and you become offended is it also just your problem? Ultimately it is unless you make it a problem for the other as well but my question is whether or not you accept all offense you take as your own problem and sanction the offender.

Incidentally, some of our black members have taken offense to your thread. It's the only reason I spoke up. You portrayed it as "self-depreciation" but it was at their expense, not yours.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:21 pm
Littlek, you know I was careful when I was seriously discussing the issue, to not be offensive.
Still, if slavery were a problem nowadays, I suppose I wouldn't joke about it. Seeing as it is not, I feel it is fair game for humor.

Craven, I believe if someone did not intend offense, and I became offended anyway, I would consider it my problem in most cases. But my statement was too general. I wasn't really going for comprehensiveness, just a first strike at the issue.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:26 pm
I don't believe that whether someone was offended is a good criterion for appropriateness. Plenty of people are offended in religious and political discussions here, but I think the majority of what is said is acceptable. Still I apologize for offending anyone; however, no offense was intended, and that should be weighed in.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:29 pm
SCoates wrote:
Craven, I believe if someone did not intend offense, and I became offended anyway, I would consider it my problem in most cases.

For the most part I'd agree. I wish intent and not effect were the dominant criteria. But because of the inability to accurately determine intent people usually use effect as the working criteria.

I'd rather intent as well, it works better as a criteria for me because I don't like to waste words for nuance all the time.

Quote:
I don't believe that whether someone was offended is a good criterion for appropriateness.

Amen! But what is?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:37 pm
Points taken.
0 Replies